The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

39 minutes ago, Dez said:

Great Mawkrusha! I'd like to see a complimentary color hidden in there somewhere though. Did you say his name was Dez? :) 

Why do Brutes seemingly take forever to paint? SO MANY DETAILS! It's awesome and endless at the same time, like the Glottkin.

Teal would look fantastic with Deez's dark red flesh (Deezflesh).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Cheers bro! That's a great compliment. Glad the passion and enthusiasm comes through. Tbh all the hours painting at the moment is a little draining at times, so pleased to hear that's not the overriding emotion I'm projecting.

Nice spot on the Megaboss conversion. It's quite understated and I don't think a lot of people pick up on it!! Have you got a pic of yours?

Yep it's in the topic of my orruks army in the painting and modelling section! But it's not complete im changing it after have seen the megaboss of @Aaron Schmidt that give me a super input to re-pose him a little!

The mawcrusha is wonderful, really cool the details on the tail!

Edited by Morghot
  • Like 2

Morning guys,

I am so so busy at work this week so am struggling to get much posted unfortunately. The battle reports will be up though I promise. Outside of work it's no better as every spare minute is spent desperately trying to get my army finished for the Warlords next week. I honestly don't think I'll make it :( 

Anyway, some replies. Once again thanks so much for them all, keep it coming...

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:44 PM, Dez said:

Great Mawkrusha! I'd like to see a complimentary color hidden in there somewhere though. Did you say his name was Dez? :) 

Why do Brutes seemingly take forever to paint? SO MANY DETAILS! It's awesome and endless at the same time, like the Glottkin.

Deez, not Dez I'm afraid haha! Named after the mighty Ben Diesel. I'm sure the sculptor was a TBS fan as that facial expression is taken right from the big man himself!!

Yeh Brutes do take a fair while, though I do find them thoroughly enjoyable...unlike Ardboyz!

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:24 PM, Aaron Schmidt said:

Teal would look fantastic with Deez's dark red flesh (Deezflesh).

The wings are dark, though not as dark as the pics suggest, however the do have a hit of turquoise about them. As anyone who knows me well will know, pinky purple and turquoise are my signature colours!! The Megaboss is also finished now and having him on there really sets it off. Pics soon.

The Maw-krusha already has 3 main colours, it would be a mistake to add another imo. Also turquoise is used as one of the 3 tertiary colour's on my Orruks (I use dark brown, light brown and turquoise for cloth etc).

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, LordDrakonus said:

MawCrusher is looking sexy!

Cheers bro!

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:46 PM, Morghot said:

Yep it's in the topic of my orruks army in the painting and modelling section! But it's not complete im changing it after have seen the megaboss of @Aaron Schmidt that give me a super input to re-pose him a little!

The mawcrusha is wonderful, really cool the details on the tail!

Thanks man, glad you like him! I've seen a few cool reposed Megabosses recently. Might look at a second myself somewhen!

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, Mitzy said:

Awesome work on the great Red Cabbage mate, I love bright colours (in case you hadn't noticed ;) ) and Deez fits the bill nicely, I look forward to seeing him complete with the Big MB!

Thanks, super pleased you like him. The Megaboss (well, I call him the Warmaster, Krunk is the only Megaboss in my army!) is now complete, perhaps pics later today. I am waiting for a spare chain though as I lost one of mine. Thankfully @Kanamorf is hooking me up, what a star!

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, Redmanphill said:

Now that is an excellent colour choice, I hadn#t considered how I would paint mine but this guy is definitely inspirational. Have you got a list of the colours used?

Cheers man! I only actually used 4 colours for the pinky purple; Xereus Purple, Screamer Pink, Leviathan Purple and Pallid Wytch Flesh. There are however many layers and mixes. Given time I think I will add a final top highlight.

Thanks again all! Much love xxx

Hey there,

Managed to sneak in a quick report of Game 3!

Game 8 - Brothers of Sigmar Round 3 - vs Mark Paddon (Destruction) & Billy Earnest (Destruction)

Game 3 was to be an epic Destruction off! This was interesting as in this battleplan, the centre of the board was split up into 4 zones, with each one granting a benefit to each of the Grand Alliances. I think the Destruction one was +1 to hit for Destruction units. Unfortunately Mark and Billy won the roll for sides and had this great buff in their territory. At the end of the game, we'd have to add up the points costs of scoring units (over 5 wounds worth of models) in each zone, with the most controlling each. Whichever team had the most zones would be declared the winner.

Mark and Billy's army was a mixed bag, you can check the lists in the link above but off the top of my head (a couple of weeks after the event and also I was a bit drunk during this game!) they had between them; Tyrant, Warboss on Wyvern, Shaman, Thundertusk, Brutes, Ogors, Yhettees and maybe some other stuff. In short, it literally didn't matter! :S 

Right in the middle of this table was a HUGE (I mean, huge! One day maybe I'll finally upload all the pics of the games!) piece of terrain, this literally made it's way into all 4 of the zones and was right infront of both main battlelines. Now the problem with this was that we'd rolled it up as Deadly, creating a massive area where people could be losing models when making a crucial charge. Unfortunately this had a very strange effect on the game as neither team were willing to brave the risk or commit first, resulting in a complete mexican standoff. Gordrakk would've been sickened at the sight of the two deadly forces lined up and refusing to move!

This wasn't entirely true as me and Paddy had quickly developed a plan, seeing how the game was panning out. Paddy moved one unit of Grots around the side of the terrain and released the Fanatics to take out some Ogors and then Yhettees, putting us "up" in the trade. I had a unit of Brutes deployed way out on the right flank, way away from anything else who made their way up the board ready to move into one of their zones.

As of Turn 4 my army hadn't killed anything, or even lost model itself! Very strange, unfortunately though the Blood Vulture from the Thundertusk eventually killed a Brute. Boo!! It all came down to the last roll for priority (as far as me and Paddy were concerned anyway, not sure what the other 2 were thinking), which we won. We let them go first, they manouvred a little to secure two zones. Me and Paddy then struck back, putting our game plan into effect and getting more points into three of the zones ensuring us the win. It was a bit edgy in the last turn but we were doing everything to ensure the win, totting up totals in each zone as we went etc. I think the other guys felt a bit hard done by and were probably expecting the draw. I did suggest they probably would've done the same had they gone last!!

So yeh, a very bizarre game. Not played an AoS game like it before, it was almost akin to ETC WFB, in a good way. I actually really enjoyed the stand offish, tactical element and it felt like a very rewarding win actually as we'd stuck to our game plan throughout.

Again, a pretty short, basic report, but truth be told nothing else happened. Oh, we didn't get our secondary. Shocker eh?!

Result - Win (30TPs), Secondary Objective failed (0TPs)

Hope you enjoyed that!!

• Like 2

I think I originally got the tip from @Cowboy Boots Matt. Previously I have used cream coloured paints on occasion (ie Screaming Skull) or even a bluey grey (ie P3 Frostbite) instead of white. It's fun to see the different hue of highlights you can create when not using white.

Another Pallid Wych Flesh #protip - shake it super well, more so that a regular paint. Oddly I find that this one has a tendency to appear chalky if not. Rakarth Flesh sometimes shares this problem as well.

Edited by Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@Redmanphill they are all colours I make regular use of! ;) 

Well saying that, Pallid Wytch Flesh is a bit of a new one. Its nice to mix into colours instead of pure white for highlights. #protip

I've been using VGC Pale Flesh in the same way on my megaboss. It's consistency can be weird if you aren't careful, but I like it. Keeps colors more vibrant. 

46 minutes ago, Redmanphill said:

I use Bone White for all of my highlights, white is just too extreme... I have never even seen Pallid Wych Flesh.

16 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I've been using VGC Pale Flesh in the same way on my megaboss. It's consistency can be weird if you aren't careful, but I like it. Keeps colors more vibrant. 

I would suggest there are times when you may want white as a highlight, but its good there are options.

Pallid Wych Flesh is an off white, without being yellowy like the cream/bone colours.

On 01/09/2016 at 2:31 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

@Redmanphill they are all colours I make regular use of! ;) 

Well saying that, Pallid Wytch Flesh is a bit of a new one. Its nice to mix into colours instead of pure white for highlights. #protip

So I too never use white for my highlights. I actually use propper old school Elf Grey from the 90's (anyone got one unopened I'll pay handsomely for it). I find it gives a much more natural highlight and doesn't make things chalky.

IMG_20160902_195555.jpg

4 hours ago, Mitzy said:

So I too never use white for my highlights. I actually use propper old school Elf Grey from the 90's (anyone got one unopened I'll pay handsomely for it). I find it gives a much more natural highlight and doesn't make things chalky.

IMG_20160902_195555.jpg

Look to Coat d'Arms

• Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:36 PM, thediceabide said:

Exactly, they used to produce GWs paint back in the day and still make the old colors, like Elven Grey:

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/product/122-elven-grey/

Yup, agreed. I have used Coat D'Arms previously to get old GW colours, so check that out @Mitzy

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:39 AM, Malakithe said:

What's your list looking like right now for 2k?

Right now it's looking like;

• Megaboss (General) - Ravager, Battle Brew
  • Megaboss on Maw-Krusha - Choppa, Battle Brew / Talisman (dependant on mortal wound output potential)
  • Warchanter
  • Ardnob (Black Orc Big Boss) - Slaughter-choppa
  • Ironfist Battalion
  • 10 Brutes - Klaw & Smasha, 2 Gore-choppas, Jagged-hackas
  • 5 Brutes - Klaw & Smasha, Gore-choppa, Choppas
  • 10 Ardboyz - Icon, 9 Uge Choppas, 1 Shield
  • 3 Gore-gruntas - Choppas

I am painting every spare moment I have to try and get done for Warlords this weekend. Unfortunately the Gore-gruntas may not get finished so I could be playing points down. I did e-mail GW just to see if I could use my Cabbage as Gordrakk, but that's not allowed, which is fine, I wouldn't really want to anyway...was just a contingency thought. I have had offers to borrow armies, but I'm not overly keen on that either.

Really hope the army looks good, I didn't want to compromise on quality and have been putting in some massive hours. I've just been looking at the models so much recently I don't even know if it's good any more. I do think there will be some bits to go back to before Facehammer, but yeh.

Apologies I've neglected this topic (and the forum in general) over the last couple of weeks. Work being busy on top of the social + painting is killer. I'll catch up properly next week, including the last two battle reports from Brothers of Sigmar as well as how I get on at Warlords.

Cheers guys,

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yup, agreed. I have used Coat D'Arms previously to get old GW colours, so check that out @Mitzy

Right now it's looking like;

• Megaboss (General) - Ravager, Battle Brew
  • Megaboss on Maw-Krusha - Choppa, Battle Brew / Talisman (dependant on mortal wound output potential)
  • Warchanter
  • Ardnob (Black Orc Big Boss) - Slaughter-choppa
  • Ironfist Battalion
  • 10 Brutes - Klaw & Smasha, 2 Gore-choppas, Jagged-hackas
  • 10 Ardboyz - Icon, 9 Uge Choppas, 1 Shield
  • 3 Gore-gruntas 

Have you faced off against the dreaded beastclaw with this?

Black orc big boss...never even thought to look at him. Other then looking badass, how is he?

21 hours ago, Dez said:

Post your wip like I did in the forum here and get some feedback! 

Unfortunately I literally do not have the time at present :(. Anytime I'm not at work, asleep or eating is spent painting at present. I can do the odd bit of cheeky posting at work, but haven't gotten around to any pics. However, I will be doing my regular 2 minute #WiPwednesday video for twitter today, so you'll be able to check out some stuff there that has not yet been seen! @the_black_sun

21 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Have you faced off against the dreaded beastclaw with this?

Black orc big boss...never even thought to look at him. Other then looking badass, how is he?

20 hours ago, Dez said:

I haven't used him yet, but on paper definitely brutal. 

Not played Beastclaw yet, other than as part of the doubles event - game 5 report will include some thoughts on this when I get round to it. In short though I think it's likely a terrible match up!!

The Ardnob is good. Initially I tried him as General, but I wouldn't bother in future. His command ability is one that seems better on paper IMO. I'm currently running him with a Slaughter-choppa, but my conversion could also work as a pair of Deff-choppas so I may try that in future. The rend -2 on the Slaughter-choppa is nice though!!

This is a call to arms fellow Megabosses!

Wish me luck as Krunk and Da Black Sunz march for war in their first 2,000 point event at The Warlords this weekend.

I've been painting like...uh..something that paints an awful lot these past 5 weeks, first getting 1,000 points finish for Brothers in Arms and now up to 2,000* for this event.

Can't wait to get the army on the table. I've genuinely lost sight of whether it looks any good and due to some super super late nights (until 2.30am the last two nights, with work in the morning) I feel I may have slightly compromised on quality, but I hope it's still looking tight. I have a snagging list of sorts; things I need to improve for Facehammer GT two weeks later. Nothing too bad though.

So yeh, next week expect many many updates including photos of everything (loads you haven't seen...sneak peaks in my Twitter vids - @the_black_sun), final 2 battle reports from Brothers of Sigmar and of course, how I got on at The Warlords.

Chris

*now....the kicker here is that I am not actually finished. Despite three really late nights in a row, I have yet to finish my Gore-gruntas. It's so disappointing and feels like abject failure given how much time I've put in. They are useable, but not up to standard. I will be taking them, plus my paints with me today and may try some hotel painting. It means sacrificing getting drunk and hanging out, worse still I might not even finish which would really suck. I'll also be shattered for tomorrow. Other options are to run with an 1800 point list, or to just field them anyway and let them bring my army down (the worst option imo). *Sigh*

9 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

This is a call to arms fellow Megabosses!

Wish me luck as Krunk and Da Black Sunz march for war in their first 2,000 point event at The Warlords this weekend.

My biggest and loudest WAAAAAGGGGHHHHH goes with you brother, I only wish I was attending, I'm gutted to be missing the weekend! You don't need luck mate, Gork and Mork will be with you! Kick the Krunk out of all and sundry!