The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

13 minutes ago, Baron_Bathory said:

Congrats on 4th place @Chris Tomlin!!!!!! You, Nicky, and @Sangfroid put Destruction back on the map! That's incredible! Congrats to all of you :D What list did you end up settling on?

Cheers Baron! Yeah really pleased we had some solid showings, all the guys did great and there was an awesome sense of camaraderie over the weekend as we were all checking in with each other.

I'll catch up on the above replies with @scrubyandwells and @Nico etc later on this week as well as providing some reports on my games etc. But yeh, for now I can definitely share my list;

Megaboss on Maw-krusha - General, Ironclad, Daubing of Mork*
Weirdnob Shaman
Warchanter
Warchanter

10 Brutes
5 Brutes
5 Brutes
3 Gore-gruntas
3 Gore-gruntas

Spear Chukka
Spear Chukka

The list worked really well and I honestly did not miss the Ironfist, which is crazy. The Spear Chukkas were fantastic. I'm really glad I gave them a run myself. I think if your target selection is good, they will be worth their points over the course of a 5 game tournament.

If I was to attend another tournament right away, I wouldn't change a thing in this list. I'd go as far as to say I think it might be the best Ironjawz list I've used, even better than my Masters list.

* I submitted my army list when I was drunk on the Friday night. @Sangfroid and @Pano were heckling me about the Dabbing of Mork and how it's rubbish, so that promptly resulted in me putting it down on my list haha! I actually don't think it is rubbish at all as on average it gives your Maw-krusha around an extra 2 wounds and with him being such a key piece of the army it's important he sticks around IMO. In Duality of Death I had him hold an objective worth 2vps with one wound left (after popping a couple of dabs!). That game I won 6-5.  

I do wish I'd kept track over the course of the tournament as he hit about 4 in the first game and then around 2-3 for the others (with the exception of one game where he only dabbed once).

Chris

• Like 7

@Chris Tomlin just to rub in the fact even harder I took the meatrippa axe and played nighthaunt in 2 games, Bonesplittas in one (neither of any care about extra rend, Blades of Khorne (bloodletters only have a 5+ save). For all my bluster about extra rend it was largely useless. 

I was discussing with some guys at the end that in future I may as well just take destroyer as this hurts every army equally (though knowing my luck I'd then face 5 stardrake lists ;-)

• Like 2

* I submitted my army list when I was drunk on the Friday night. @Sangfroid and @Pano were heckling me about the Dabbing of Mork and how it's rubbish, so that promptly resulted in me putting it down on my list haha! I actually don't think it is rubbish at all as on average it gives your Maw-krusha around an extra 2 wounds and with him being such a key piece of the army it's important he sticks around IMO. In Duality of Death I had him hold an objective worth 2vps with one wound left (after popping a couple of dabs!). That game I won 6-5.  

Indeed. Those 6++ add up. I wrote an Archaon plus Warshrine list yesterday with this in mind.

• Like 1

Morning all,

You'll have to wait a little longer for my Facehammer reports, but in the meantime I can share some (rubbish) photos of the new models I painted for the event. I've been bemoaning my photo quality for 29 pages now and really should do something about it haha!

It has been really good to finally paint some new additions for the army and I am really happy with them all.

First up are the 6 Gitmob Grot crewmen, which are converted from a mixture of various 40k Grots, Blood Bowl Goblins, Gutbuster Grots and maybe bits from a few other kits. I'm thoroughly pleased with the character these models have as individuals and feel that despite being Grots they do fit my overall army aesthetic.

Next are the two Brute Crossbowmen, doing duty here as Gitmob Spear Chukkas. The first one is a model you have seen before, however he has been rebased to a 50mm base and has had a pavise added. The second is a completely new paint job. I really really love these models and am glad I can use them to represent something in game now.

Finally, 3 additional Brutes. I ended up literally staying up night on the Thursday before Facehammer to get all this stuff painted and managed 0 sleep. I didn't really catch up Friday (4 1/2 hours) which has had further reaching consequences as I'm still utterly shattered. The reason I'm telling you this is that I did not end up using these 3 Brutes!! I had originally planned to take 3x5 with Choppas, so was going to add a Boss and a Gore-choppa to these boys and crack on. I ended up changing my list though so these missed out. In hindsight I think I should have used these 3 in my army as they are some of the coolest ones I have painted with loads of character. However, instead I put them into the unit category of the painting contest where I was deservedly beaten by @Painted by G and his Brutes.

Anyway enjoy, once again sorry for the shoddy pics! There will be more additions over this month...though hopefully I can rid myself of these stupid final night pushes (I actually forgot to paint between the cracks of the Agrellan Earth as a result, which you may notice. Still need to sort that)!

Chris

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

• Like 15

21 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

The list worked really well and I honestly did not miss the Ironfist, which is crazy. The Spear Chukkas were fantastic. I'm really glad I gave them a run myself. I think if your target selection is good, they will be worth their points over the course of a 5 game tournament.

Hey Chris, could I ask please for more specifics on how you used your Spear Chukkas?  I've been running 3 so far, and the most wounds I've ever done in a turn is 3 in total (that was when all 3 shot at a Slaughterpriest in cover).  I could definitely be doing something wrong, so I'd love to know how you used them, and where specifically you had success?

Probably the biggest thing they've done for me is manipulate how my opponent deploys - they do sometimes assume that the Chukkas will delete characters, and deploy accordingly.   But in game they've done very little damage so far (5 games played under GH17).

• Like 1

Fantastic work on the spearchukkas + crew @Chris Tomlin! I've been thinking about how to make ally units look suitably Ironjawz-y, and this is a  really novel solution. Working on given the treatment to a gargant right now,  but please take it as a whole-hearted compliment if I end up partially ripping you off for my own chukka teams...

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, sorry I've been slow to come back to you. Trying to get back on top of work this week. I am slowly getting there with my FHGT write up and should have it posted by the end of the week.

Hobbywise I've been working on my Rogue Idol of Gork / RAW Leviathan as I'll be using my Gorkanaut to fill both roles. Got 5 hours paint into him on Monday night (thought I'd actually log hours spent for a change), however it is all just very basic stuff at the moment. I'm confident he'll come together and look pretty awesome in the end.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Hey Chris, could I ask please for more specifics on how you used your Spear Chukkas?  I've been running 3 so far, and the most wounds I've ever done in a turn is 3 in total (that was when all 3 shot at a Slaughterpriest in cover).  I could definitely be doing something wrong, so I'd love to know how you used them, and where specifically you had success?

Probably the biggest thing they've done for me is manipulate how my opponent deploys - they do sometimes assume that the Chukkas will delete characters, and deploy accordingly.   But in game they've done very little damage so far (5 games played under GH17).

Hey, it does sounds like you've either been particularly unlucky or are shooting the wrong things. Presumably you are keeping them together for the rerolls? What kind of things do you target with them?

It doesn't sound like they have been totally ineffective though...do not underestimate the power of forcing your opponent to deploy to counter you. If you can stick to your plan and manipulate your opponent then they will already be on the back foot. This is exactly one of the reasons I really like them. They instantly apply pressure on your opponent to react to a huge area of the battlefield. Get your 36" out and wave it around just to really intimidate them!!

I'm not actually sure on the value of 3 though. I do have a 3rd conversion so will run with all 3 at some point, but I suspect you are well into the territory of diminishing returns at that point.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, Paul Haley said:

Think I with give these guys a go, love your spear chukkas btw Chris

Cheers Paul! Give 'em a go. Yours look sweet as well.

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, Dieselfruit said:

Fantastic work on the spearchukkas + crew @Chris Tomlin! I've been thinking about how to make ally units look suitably Ironjawz-y, and this is a  really novel solution. Working on given the treatment to a gargant right now,  but please take it as a whole-hearted compliment if I end up partially ripping you off for my own chukka teams...

Thanks man! Yeh I find the whole concept of themed allies are really cool and exciting one. Definitely one of my fav bits of the GH2017. As well as my Gorkanaut Rogue Idol I have considered Deff Dreads for Gargants (had originally thought about the FW Gundabad Trolls...but now they are my number 1 candidate for an Ironjawz Troggoth Hag).  How are you handling your Gargant (wahey!)?

And no worries if my Brute Crossbowmen um....inspire...you ;) haha. Tbh a fair few other people have said the same. I'm fine with it and take it as a compliment that my models must be cool! Just try to credit your source :P 

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:33 PM, Killamike said:

Those chukkas are excellent. 

Immediately went to the bits bin looking for my beastclaw parts. Alas I have already given them all to someone else. 

Grats on the place too. 

Cheers mate, glad you like them :) I'm sure you can pick up the bits from a bitz site or something?
Thanks for the congrats, was really happy with it!

Check back later this week for my FHGT coverage.

Chris

Hi guys,

Finally it's time for me to post my Facehammer GT reports. Apologies for the delay in doing so and once again for them being a bit brief and lacking on detail, I've had a fair bit of holiday at work of late so I've just been slowly catching up on things. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to really respond to a lot of the chat around list choices for the event beforehand as it was all a bit of a whirlwind. As I revealed in my recent post with the photos of the new stuff I painted, I ended up all night and then didn't even use a few of the models!! Madness. Not like they'll go to waste though, they are some of my favourite Brutes and are super cool!
You've probably all seen it, but here is the list I went with in the end;

Megaboss on Maw-krusha - General, Ironclad, Sweet Dabs
Weirdnob Shaman
Warchanter
Warchanter

10 Brutes
5 Brutes
5 Brutes
3 Gore-gruntas
3 Gore-gruntas

Spear Chukka
Spear Chukka

Think it ended up at 1,980 points iirc. I will say straight off (and have already said so elsewhere) that this is the strongest Ironjawz list I have ever used, even better than my Masters list, which I previously felt was the pinnacle. The last minute change to drop 5 more Brutes for a pair of Warchanters was a must IMO and I really felt their worth over the cost of the weekend. I'm not sure we can leave home without one. Really smooths out that reliability on the damage curve I feel.
I'm genuinely not sure if I prompted @Sangfroid to make this change, or if he prompted me, or if we came about it independently (it's pretty obvious looking at it now!), but however we got there I know we were both very pleased with the decision.

As for the Daubing of Mork Sweet Dabs, I was basically heckled by @Sangfroid and @Pano on the Friday night whilst drunk as they told me it was rubbish. So in my defiant stupor I scrawled it down on my army list. Truth be told I probably would've ran with it anyway. I'm not trying to tell anyone it is the best option, I would just like to help convince people that it at least is an option. It's semi-reliably an extra couple of wounds on your tank, which really does help. Also the amount of times over the event I popped a tasty dab to keep him under a damage threshold...those Mighty Fists hitting more reliably is vital to the models damage output. So yeh, it was good. I wish I kept track of how many times I dabbed. I think I will run another event with it before perhaps trying one of the others.

The Spear Chukkas where absolutely brilliant, they really were. Anyone saying they are not worth the points is simply shooting the wrong things. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the way I see it. They really offer something different to the list allowing you to apply pressure at range. They went some way to making it feel like a more balanced all round army, which is something we've not had before.

Anyway, let's crack on with some brief results to see how I did;

Game 109 - Facehammer GT - Round One vs Matthew Arnold @Arnie (Flesh-eater Courts)
Me and Arnie had agreed a grudge as we'd never played or even spent that much time together, despite being at a number of events with the same people. This was Knife to the Heart (which instantly told me they weren't going to run Scorched Earth and would dodge the call on whether to house rule it! Clever TOs!). Arnie's list was a King on Terrorgheist, a Haunter Courtier, a Necromancer and maybe a couple of other characters, 40 Ghouls, 3 Crypt Horrors and a big 9 pack of Horrors as well. Juicy.
Now I feel kind sorry for Arnie this game as early doors I sat off very defensively and was able to take down to Terrorgheist with Spear Chukkas backed up by the Cabbage's scream (Arnie failed about a million saves, giving that the Terrorgheist had 3 different ones). He then went all out for the Major win, push his 9 Crypt Horrors around to my flank. It became apparent that there was no way I was going to be able to deal with these *and* take his objective. So Arnie's aggressive play was good in that it made the likely results either a Major to him, or a Minor to me.
Fortunately for me, it was the latter as the Cabbage went to town on the Horrors with a bit of Brute back-up. Even with him raising 5 back, I was able to wipe them all back with very little damage received in return. Ironclad or not (they don't have rend), those Horrors just couldn’t get through my 2+ save. @Paul Buckler can attest to my ability in making those saves as well.
Nice casual game to start and a pleasure to hang out with Arnie and have some drinks to get myself back in the game (was feeling a bit worse for war after a trip to Satan's Hollow in Manchester on the Friday night). I think the Ironjawz vs Flesh-eaters matchup is an interesting one, it's likely neither side worries about it too much as there's not much in either army to stop you play your own game plan, which is nice. That said, I do think it's a good match up for us for precisely this reason. We saw James do so fantastically well at the GT Final this weekend with victories over 3 FEC players, which reinforces my point.
Result - Minor Victory

Game 110 - Facehammer GT - Round Two vs Will Philpott @Superpotts (Disciples of Tzeentch)
Next up I was against Will, who used to live in Weymouth. He moved to Reading a while back, so it was really nice to catch up with him here. Last time we played was round my house where my Ironjawz were just too much for his compendium High Elf build (this was the game where Krunk killed 4 heroes!).
We were playing Duality of Death and his army was a bit stronger this time around! He had Kairos, the Changeling, Gaunt Summoner and a Fatesworn Warband with some more characters (Lord on Daemonic Mount, Thaumaturge, Sorcerer Lord), 2 units of Chaos Warriors, Knights, Marauders, a Chariot and some Marauder Horsemen. Pretty cool army!
This game had one of the most epic beginnings ever, with him out dropping me he took the first turn and promptly had the Changeling steal Foot of Gork from my Weirdnob Shaman, cast it with Destiny Dice and promptly stomped my Cabbage for 12 mortal wounds (2 of which I dabbed away). Wow! Literally the best Foot of Gork at my table ever haha! He later realised he could've used Kairos to make the failed 4+ to carry on a success, for another D6 mortal wounds. We rolled it out for lolz, he would've done 1 mortal wounds (which I dabbed!) and then he failed the next 4+, so it's almost like Kairos knew it wasn't worth wasting that precious dice alteration rule on!!
But yeh, what a strong start from Will. The Maw-krusha is absolutely crucial to my army in this battleplan and here he was crippled before we'd even started. He then compounded this by charging the Changeling into one of my Spear Chukkas and again using destiny dice to ensure he killed all the crew. Another great play from Will as even the one I had left did great work this game, popping wounds off characters all over the place, having a second (which in turn would cause both to reroll) would've been devastating. So yeh, this left me pretty rocked. He'd also walked up and claimed one of the objectives with his Chaos Lord.
Now I was very much on the back foot here and knew I couldn't hang about. Fortunately, Will had needed to move a number of his units up to swarm the objective the Chaos Lord had claimed, this meant I'd be getting some combat. On the downside, that pesky Changeling had one last trick up his sleeve (before 5 Brutes destroyed him) as he reduced the movement of my unit of 10 Brutes.
The Maw-krusha thankfully triggered Mighty Destroyers and had to use this on himself if he was going to reach the right hand objective and claim this due to his reduced move rate. Everything else marched up, the Chukka hit the Chaos lord for a few wounds and the Cabbage was able to scream off a couple of Chaos Warriors. My subsequent charge and combat phase was meant as I was able to use Smashing & Bashing to kill the Changeling, the Chaos Lord on mount, the Chariot, the Chaos Warriors and badly damage the Knights. Very impressive and this was the counter turn I needed. Will felt he'd made a mistake afterwards by not using Kairos to make the Brutes fail their charge into his Chaos Lord and Knights as I was able to squeeze the Brute Boss within 1" of his Lord thanks to the dips in bases, like @Paul Buckler's Nomad Prince all over again (cover those gaps kids! I am constantly using multiple combat gauges to measure these kinds of spaces, both offensive and defensively) and with the Gore Choppa behind him they were able to do the required work. He also could've used the dice to make one of the final saves on his Chariot to stop the Cabbage getting to trigger next on his Chaos Warriors...but yeh, not a huge one. It was fun actually watching Will consider all the possible uses of this dice alteration as its potential applications are so widespread.
Anyhow, I'm going on a bit here (it was genuinely one of my fav games ever), but the game was super close throughout. The Cabbage managed to stick around until T3, so scored me 3 points, which I was super happy with given the first turn. I didn't win a single priority, if I had I think I would've gone out of sight, as it was I was having to throw a Warchanter or my Shaman onto an objective after killing his heroes and basically exchanging points back and forth. Will did later use Kairos to make my 10 Brutes fail a charge (which would've seen them kill the Thaumaturge and Kairos, so was a great call).
Right at the death of the game it was 5-5, I was able to charge my final Warchanter (who had been hidden behind a building) into Kairos, the Brutes were already fighting him and he was greatly wounded so they easily finished him off and then I showed Will a rule he didn't know...that you can pile in on the turn you have charged, even if there are now no enemies within 3". So, the Warchanter piled in to within range of the objective and as the battleplan states, a pile in move allows you to claim the objective...so I took it 6-5!
What a game...even though this report is slightly longer it's still a bit all over the place and doesn't do the game justice, a proper turn by turn would've been better. Really was awesome and I easily could've lost it and would've loved it just as much. Had I not been able to take the Major, I would've still won it on a Minor, but I was pleased that after taking some time to consider my options I solved the puzzle and saw the route to (major) victory.
Result - Major Victory

Game 111 - Facehammer GT - Round Three vs Stewart Callander @Ralphy99 (Seraphon)
This was my first time playing Stewart, so I was looking forward to the game as we always see each other about at Tournaments and he’s a big Final Fantasy TCG fan as well (we will get that game next time!!). He's previously been a prominent Destruction player, but I let him off abandoning us as he’s swapped over to Dinosaurs, which I'm cool with! We were playing Total Conquest and his army consisted of a Slann, Astrolith Bearer, Engine of the Gods, 2 Bastilodons, 40 Skinks, 40 Skinks, 20 Skinks and a Salamander. He had the Thunderquake Starhost as well (think I've got the name right).
This was my first time playing this battleplan and it's 100% something I need to practice as my deployment was utterly awful. Didn't get my head around it at all, definitely should've marked off my deployment zone properly.
I actually thought this was a pretty decent match up, providing the Bastilodons didn't go mental...as it was, Stewart took the 1st turn and promptly rolled a natural triple 6 for the Engine of the Gods!! Game over. If you don't know what this does, it gives him an extra turn! So if we discount the two rounds of shooting I had to take before putting any buffs up (horrible, but bearable tbh), let’s just talk about how this complete breaks the matched play battleplans. I appreciate this warscroll was written before any of the battleplans were written, but they really don't interact well with objective scoring. Stewart scored 3 objectives on his first first turn, on his second first turn he got a further 4 meaning I was 0-7 down before starting! The way this battleplan works with scoring 2 points when you flip each one back meant I couldn't win as although I was able to pull it back to 9-11 at one point, he was able to just take them back and constantly remain ahead if that makes sense.
I suppose the fact I suffered some pretty catastrophic casualties before my second turn didn't help with my ability to defend the objectives. I still killed an awful lot of his army as the Spear Chukkas were insanely good this game and the few Brutes I had left did good work. The Cabbage was eating Skinks all day but in this battleplan it just wasn't enough. We made a game of it but I truly believe it was game over when he rolled that extra turn. It didn't help that I lost all 4 priorities...rolling a 1 for all 4 of them!! Urgh. Not my game!
Still, it was really nice to hang out with Stewart and I have zero ill feeling towards him, it was a fun time at the table and I still enjoyed the game as it was an interesting challenge trying to find a way I could overturn the odds. I was more annoyed afterwards when I was thinking about that warscrolls interaction with matched play, I think if you didn't score in the extra turn it would be fine. Still really hard, but fine. Stewart has never got it before so fair play to him, makes for a good story if nothing else. Shout out to @Lhw, who had this happen to him 3 times in one game!!! WHAT!?!
Result - Major Defeat

So that's day one in the bag! Strangely the results pattern was identical to last year’s FHGT, which saw me finish 9th, so I was more than happy with it overall. The list was working nicely and Engine of the Gods aside, I may well have lost that game anyway due to the Seraphon teleports (he had two I should note) and my terrible deployment!!

Saturday night was good fun and I managed to get to bed at a semi sensible hour (at this point I was on 0hrs sleep Thursday night and 4hrs sleep Friday night!).

*I've decided to cut it there for now and at least get something up, I will have the final two reports up by the end of the week*

Cheers for reading!
Chris

• Like 9

Morning,

Hope everyone is well...it's Friday after all! I'm finishing up my first 5 day week in 6 weeks! Needless to say I've had plenty of catching up to do (which unfortunately equals less TGA). Still, the week is almost over and I'm going to see Still Remains tonight with @Forestreveries and @Andy Talbot, so pretty excited about that!!

Unfortunately FHGT games 4 and 5 will not be covered until early next week now...however I don't feel too bad about this given the lack of responses or interest in the last three haha!! xD 

In hobby news, I have now put 10 hours into the Idol of Gork / RAW Leviathan. After doing my three layers of grey edging/scratches over the black and basecoating the metal I have liberally daubed/dabbed(!) the model in Army Painter Dark Tone (8 hours)...and here is where the fun begins...silver highlights and chipping across the entire model and man, that Gorkanaut is biiiiig. I am predicting that this stage will take a further 8-10 hours alone. Absolutely crazy to think of spending so much time using one colour on one model isn't it?

I'm 2 hours into this stage so far and I have to say it is a positive feeling to see him start to come to life. Usually this stage comes much later in my Ironjawz painting, but where it is the main bit of the job with just a few little bits here and there afterwards I think it's the way to go. Not sure whether logging time is going to serve as a positive or negative overall yet, we shall see!!

I've also given him a name; Vegnagun, The Fists of Krunk

I probably won't share any work in progress photos of him now, but hopefully he'll be complete by this time next week....giving me a weekly to hopefully paint the Krunkasaur. If this doesn't come to fruition I have a couple of other things I could use for my Hunter, so not really the end of the world.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Unfortunately FHGT games 4 and 5 will not be covered until early next week now...however I don't feel too bad about this given the lack of responses or interest in the last three haha!! xD

Such a diva! :P

Well I enjoyed reading them! Sounds like some cool games, although the Engine of the Gods thing just sounds horrible!

So people seem to be in love with Gore Gruntas at the moment, but the piggies didn't get a mention in your report! Do you still think they're a crucial part of your list? I'm assuming they weren't involved in any key moments, but maybe they were but it's just not particularly glamorous?? 

It was super interesting to hear about the Gorefist winning the GT last weekend, and I'd really love to know how they were used. But the other interesting thing about that list was the two Doom Divers - which made me take a look at them again - how do you think these compare with the spear chukkas? I've not done the math-hammer but I assume spear chukkas are slightly more reliable at damaging heroes, but the Doom Divers not needing line of sight guarantees you can aim the damage where you need it.. it's a tough choice!

...and here is where the fun begins...silver highlights and chipping across the entire model and man, that Gorkanaut is biiiiig. I am predicting that this stage will take a further 8-10 hours alone. Absolutely crazy to think of spending so much time using one colour on one model isn't it?

I can only imagine - I'm currently painting 10 Ard Boyz, the metal scratching and edge highlighting alone has taken more than an hour per model, so that must be 10-15 hours and these guys are about as far from being a centre piece as it gets! I kinda enjoyed it, but it was tough going. Stay strong brother!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Can’t wait to see this model Chris been a long time in the making :-)

Yeh man, been talking about it for probably over a year now right?

2 hours ago, Banglesprout said:

Such a diva! :P

Ah! You know me well then? :x

Seriously though, as much as I like to post this stuff as a complete record for myself, it's clearly the interaction with you guys here that makes it worthwhile to me. If no one was reading I definitely wouldn't bother haha!

2 hours ago, Banglesprout said:

Sounds like some cool games, although the Engine of the Gods thing just sounds horrible!

So people seem to be in love with Gore Gruntas at the moment, but the piggies didn't get a mention in your report! Do you still think they're a crucial part of your list? I'm assuming they weren't involved in any key moments, but maybe they were but it's just not particularly glamorous?? 

It was super interesting to hear about the Gorefist winning the GT last weekend, and I'd really love to know how they were used. But the other interesting thing about that list was the two Doom Divers - which made me take a look at them again - how do you think these compare with the spear chukkas? I've not done the math-hammer but I assume spear chukkas are slightly more reliable at damaging heroes, but the Doom Divers not needing line of sight guarantees you can aim the damage where you need it.. it's a tough choice!

I can only imagine - I'm currently painting 10 Ard Boyz, the metal scratching and edge highlighting alone has taken more than an hour per model, so that must be 10-15 hours and these guys are about as far from being a centre piece as it gets! I kinda enjoyed it, but it was tough going. Stay strong brother!

Very cool games, but yeah the EotG thing is just plain wrong!

The 2 units of Gore-gruntas are utterly crucial to the list and allow you to run without the Ironfist due to their naturally high movement value. The don't really get involved in key moments, but in many ways are the workhorsespigs of the list.

I need to get in touch with James (the guy who came 2nd at the GT) properly as I'd love to do a rundown of his games for the podcast. We've barely seen the Gorefist at all, let alone seeing it doing so well. I think we can probably see how it would perform well vs the Flesh-eater Courts armies he played, but it would be fascinating to get some real insight from him as his list is just so different. Kudos to that man. I'm a fan!

I prefer the Spear Chukkas over the Doom Divers, but to each their own. I heard he likes the models, which is basically my reason for the Spear Chukkas as well, so fair play!

Would love to see your Ardboys.

Thanks for the reply,

Chris

1 hour ago, Skumbaagh said:

Sure, but is it something people do? =)   In my area there is only friendly tournaments were you vote for the best sportsman to be the winner. Im curious if people would think it is cheesy... I suppose it depends on how good a player is with the rules. 

Not cheesy at all, as said it’s part of the tactical play for both you and your opponent. Do they remove casualties from here or there? Or in Chris case he used it to move his character onto the objective etc... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Ah! You know me well then? :x

Seriously though, as much as I like to post this stuff as a complete record for myself, it's clearly the interaction with you guys here that makes it worthwhile to me. If no one was reading I definitely wouldn't bother haha!

Yeah I was just teasing :D

I totally understand, actually the cool little destruction community on here is great, really helps raise my enthusiasm levels about the Ironjawz (and destruction in general) and you've been a big of it. 

I used to play Orcs & Goblins back in fantasy but hadn't played for years. When I started getting interesting in AoS I came on here and reading through all the discussions you guys were having about Ironjawz is a big part of why I stayed green (must admit I was pretty tempted by the gorgeous Sylvaneth and Kharadron Overlords minis). That and seeing you and @Paul Buckler play on warhammer TV and just thinking "wow Ironjawz are cool!" Haha.

I need to get in touch with James (the guy who came 2nd at the GT) properly as I'd love to do a rundown of his games for the podcast. We've barely seen the Gorefist at all, let alone seeing it doing so well. I think we can probably see how it would perform well vs the Flesh-eater Courts armies he played, but it would be fascinating to get some real insight from him as his list is just so different. Kudos to that man. I'm a fan!

Yeah I would *love* to listen to that conversion. Tales of Sigmar podcast have a great episode where they chatted to the guy who won Heat 3 with squigs, that was so cool. 

Yeah I love the he took Gorefist, not something I'd ever considered. It's also interesting that he's got 20 Ardboyz - I'm curious if really likes that unit (and why) or if it was more a question of having the models. In my mind on just wondering why not 2 of 10? Plus he got highest kill points, right? How did that happen?! When I look at his list I see a mawcrusher and chaff, so I definitely must be looking at it wrong :D

Would love to see your Ardboys.

Oh sure, they're still WIP - only thing that's really done in my mind are the metals (which admittedly is most of them). I'm going for all natural rust & skin colours - I decide I couldn't imagine my Orruks hanging around to paint their armour / nails so the only ornamentation in planing on giving them is scratched symbols into the metal...

Oh and yeah their bases are upside down, planning on filling them up with water effect. They live in a swamp, hence all the rust :D

IMG_20171014_104008.jpg

IMG_20171014_104000.jpg

IMG_20171014_103940.jpg

IMG_20171014_103929.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Not cheesy at all, as said it’s part of the tactical play for both you and your opponent. Do they remove casualties from here or there? Or in Chris case he used it to move his character onto the objective etc...

I totally agree on the rule interpretation and it not being cheesy regarding pile ins.

On a slight side track though the tactical removal of casualties is never something that's sat right with me - again I agree that it's totally legitimate, but for me it just breaks the immersion if that's the right word. It just doesn't make much sense.

I think it'd be a nice improvement if the rule was to remove the model(s) closest to the attacking model(s).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Banglesprout said:

I totally agree on the rule interpretation and it not being cheesy regarding pile ins.

On a slight side track though the tactical removal of casualties is never something that's sat right with me - again I agree that it's totally legitimate, but for me it just breaks the immersion if that's the right word. It just doesn't make much sense.

I think it'd be a nice improvement if the rule was to remove the model(s) closest to the attacking model(s).

Look at it like this, a guy on the front row is always the one killed.

Does the next rank step up, if yes then the model at the back is removed, if no the one at the front.

Jesus those ardboyz look like ardwork, mine takes a while to do but I can't imagine it's anything close to yours...

Edited by Malakree

@Chris Tomlin really enjoyed your write up of the Path to a glory campaign. Those kind of progression based campaigns are always great fun! 

Hoping to convince my game group to do something similar, although they seem to struggle with commitment.

Also top work on the spear chukkas! I would steal the idea but I know I wouldn't do it justice ? 

What are your thoughts on allied Giants? Was considering trying to fit them in with the BJ's! 

Edited by Xelotath
  • Like 1