The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

@Chris Tomlin well done megaboss! Saw the pics and some of the coverage and was really jealous it was my daughters birthday weekend so couldn't make it (which feels a crime when it's 35 mins from my house :-) 

the post of Krunk boshing up the fulminatiors and eying up the stardrake had me laughing :-) 

warlords or fhgt next up? 

Good morning Megabosses!!

Well I thought it would be good to add some more photos to this thread. As per usual my photos are really poor. There is a slight lighting issue, but my main problem is a cracked camera lens which causes a lack of sharpness and makes things a bit fuzzy! In person I am super happy with these and I hope many of you get to see them at Tournaments over the coming years.

I don't seem to be able to reorder photos, so whilst it would have been more fitting to save this one until last, here is my Best Painted award. Whilst I am a fan of the traditional trophy, this is really nice and something a bit different that will standard out nicely on my trophy shelves. Not sure how @jonwarmington went about making it?

image.jpeg

Next up we have the 10 Brutes I painted last week for Brothers of Sigmar. Whilst it sounds like it was a quick job by saying a week, the sheer number of hours I put into these was staggering, almost killed me and it got to the stage where I didn't even know if they were good having looked at them for soooo long in a short space of time.

Now I've had a chance to take a step back and look at them objectively, I am very proud. They are possibly not quite as tight as the first 5 I painted (can I just say, batch painting 10 models of this size to a decent standard is a terrible idea!!) and there are a few bits I will be looking to touch up, but overall, yeh I am happy for sure.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And finally, some pics of the current 1,000 point army, included a little name plaque and some objective markers I made last minute. Hope you all like the army and I cant wait to add more. The Cabbage and Gore-gruntas are going to be vital for giving the army some variance other than a big blob of infantry when displaying for best painted.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

That's all for now!

Enjoy,

Chris x

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, N_Watson said:

Well done @Chris Tomlin

Well deserved in my opinion. Nicely painted as well as an unusual colour scheme. 

Look forward to hearing about the games!  

Thanks man! I'm probably going to be a bit busy at work today so I suspect it will be tomorrow I start getting the reports up.

15 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

@Chris Tomlin well done megaboss! Saw the pics and some of the coverage and was really jealous it was my daughters birthday weekend so couldn't make it (which feels a crime when it's 35 mins from my house :-) 

the post of Krunk boshing up the fulminatiors and eying up the stardrake had me laughing :-) 

warlords or fhgt next up? 

Yeh shame you couldn't make it, was a super fun weekend. I'm sure you had a great weekend with your family though :) 

I have Warlords, Facehammer, Warchiefs, Clash & RAW booked in at the moment before the end of the year. The only one I might not take the Ironjawz to is RAW, might give the Flesh-eaters a run out for that, but we'll see.

15 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

Well done Chris saw your updates on Twitter. Well deserved and love your painting on da boyz!

Thanks Steve!!

Gah I've got to stop reading this thread as it's making me want an Ironjaw Army!

Lovely army Chris. Seriously, I don't know how you are able to knock out something of this quality in the timescales you subjected yourself to. I know I can paint things quickly but it's nowhere near the lovelyness you do!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Gah I've got to stop reading this thread as it's making me want an Ironjaw Army!

Lovely army Chris. Seriously, I don't know how you are able to knock out something of this quality in the timescales you subjected yourself to. I know I can paint things quickly but it's nowhere near the lovelyness you do!

Cheers Gaz! Go pick up a couple of Start Collecting boxes and have some fun! :P 

Regarding the timescales, whilst it seems short, the amount of hours put in within them are pretty ridiculous. On Friday alone I painted for literally just over 15 hours straight, stopping for food a couple of times and that's it. So I'm not a quick painter (when talking about proper paint jobs like these) and am not claiming to have produced these in a quick time. If they'd have taken me 2 months, the overall hours invested would've been the same...if that makes sense?

I now have a Cabbage, Ardnob, 3 Gore-gruntas and 5 Brutes to paint by 09/09/16...another frankly absurd target (which I genuinely might not be able to hit). I converted the Ardnob last night and hope to start work painting the Cabbage tonight. This week is a bit of a write off as I have Summerslam to watch tomorrow night (no spoilers please!) and 2 weddings to go to at the weekend. You'll learn my weekends are essentially Warhammer or Weddings pretty much :S 

Fun.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Cheers Gaz! Go pick up a couple of Start Collecting boxes and have some fun! :P 

Regarding the timescales, whilst it seems short, the amount of hours put in within them are pretty ridiculous. On Friday alone I painted for literally just over 15 hours straight, stopping for food a couple of times and that's it. So I'm not a quick painter (when talking about proper paint jobs like these) and am not claiming to have produced these in a quick time. If they'd have taken me 2 months, the overall hours invested would've been the same...if that makes sense?

I now have a Cabbage, Ardnob, 3 Gore-gruntas and 5 Brutes to paint by 09/09/16...another frankly absurd target (which I genuinely might not be able to hit). I converted the Ardnob last night and hope to start work painting the Cabbage tonight. This week is a bit of a write off as I have Summerslam to watch tomorrow night (no spoilers please!) and 2 weddings to go to at the weekend. You'll learn my weekends are essentially Warhammer or Weddings pretty much :S 

Fun.

You foul temptress! ;)

I really think you are doing yourself a dis-service with what you have achieved. Seriously, if I had 15 hours I would not be able to do anything to the same quality that you have.

If you are using pics in the gallery, just choose them in the order you want them to appear. I'm not sure if there is a way to reorder afterwards, but of a pain as the images are full size in preview.

Your Brutes look great! I know I've spent unknown hours in mine and I'm nowhere near done. Such great models though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

You foul temptress! ;)

I really think you are doing yourself a dis-service with what you have achieved. Seriously, if I had 15 hours I would not be able to do anything to the same quality that you have.

Foul - No! Temptress - Most definitely!!

To be clear, as it may have been misleading before, it took me 15 hours to highlight the 3 cloth colours (brown, dark brown and turquoise), the wood, the khaki wraps (these took ages, especially on those long weapon hafts), do the pink, the last two top highlights on the skin and most the basing (which can take a while as I keep scraping off the Agrellan Earth until I'm satisfied).

The armour, chipping, first 9 coats on the flesh, and all other areas were basecoated and washed before this!! I would estimate probably around 35 hours+ in total on those 10 Brutes. Not really sure. I think I'll start timing just out of interest.

There's a couple of videos on my Twitter (scroll back through the media section) that will help you see the progress in stages.

1 hour ago, Dez said:

If you are using pics in the gallery, just choose them in the order you want them to appear. I'm not sure if there is a way to reorder afterwards, but of a pain as the images are full size in preview.

Your Brutes look great! I know I've spent unknown hours in mine and I'm nowhere near done. Such great models though!

Tbh having the tournament deadlines is good for actually getting s**t done, even though its super stressful. Considering I've had the models since release day and had painted just the Megaboss and 5 Brutes up until about 3 weeks ago it's definitely helped with getting results.

Thanks for the kind words though.

Can't wait to get stuck into some Cabbage tonight! Really hope it comes together as I see it in my minds eye.

Hey guys,

Super keen to put up my brief battle reports, but this morning my posts keep crashing - not sure if its the planned downtime @Ben has advised of. They'll have to wait a little longer.

However, as a prelude, here are the armies myself and @Paddy O'Sullivan used (remember it was a doubles event with 2x 1,000 points);

GWA (Greenskinz wiv Attitude)

Chris Tomlin

• Megaboss Krunk (Battle Brew)
  • Da Kurlzz, Orruk Warchanter (Talisman of Protection)
  • Ironfist
  • 10 Brutes (Claw & Smasha, 2 Gore-choppas, Jagged-hackas)
  • 5 Brutes (Claw & Smasha, Gore-choppa, Choppas)
  • 10 Ardboyz (Icon, 9 Uge Choppas, 1 Shield)

Paddy O'Sullivan

• Moonclan Grot Warboss (Talisman of Protection)
  • Moonclan Grot Shaman
  • 40 Moonclan Grots (Nets, Shields)
  • 40 Moonclan Grots (Nets, Shields)
  • 6 Grot Fanatics
  • 6 Grot Fanatics 

You can find the Tournament Pack for @jonwarmington's fantastic Brothers of Sigmar doubles event in the link below. As you'll see it had some whacky elements and super cool homebrew Battleplans.

Hopefully more to come later...

• Like 1

Ok,

Can hopefully squeeze just one report in here. These ones are going to be much briefer than usual. There will be a podcast episode out on 04/09/16 where we discuss the event in more detail.

As I mentioned above these are all doubles games. You can find full lists and battleplan details etc in the link I provided above.

Game 6 - Brothers of Sigmar Round 1 - vs Byron Orde (Death) & Dan Mitchell (Death) @Dangermouse425 

What a great first match up this was as @jonwarmington decided to put me and Paddy up against the only other pairing that could come close to competing with me and @Paddy O'Sullivan on pure sexiness. They tried to improve their chances by dressing up in a similar fashion to me and quote Warhammer rules/names etc that would make good metal band names ("Hey bro, have you heard the new Icewind Assault album?"), alas it was not to be and me & Paddy outsexied them (as was to be expected tbh).

Their lists however were, I think, better than ours. Dan had a Ghoul King, some Skeles/Zombies and some Morghasts, whilst Byron had a Zombie Dragon and Skeles/Zombies. Both of them had heavy summoning pools (400/480 iirc). The scenario played in our favour though as there was a large circular area in the middle of the board where we need to get the most number of units. Leaders on Behemoths couldn't score and units could not be summoned into the circle. I noticed beforehand we both had 7 drops. I was hoping we could win the deployment roll, finish first and alphastrike the Ghoul King before he did the inevitable and auto-summoned a Mourngul!! Unfortunately it wasn't to be and exactly this happened. Byron and Dan both closed on me in a pincer manoeuvre (deployment was staggered so it was me and Byron on one side of the table, with Dan and Paddy on the other) but luckily the Mourngul failed its charge. Byron had raised some Morghasts which got into my Ardboyz and killed a couple. I was able to counter with the 10 Brutes going into the Zombie Dragon and the Megaboss + 5 Brutes going into the Morghasts. I took the Morghasts off, however both the Brutes and the Zombie Dragon completely fluffed against each other, even with the Vampire Lord triggering Red Fury...so no luck either side. Next turn went much better and the Brutes saw off the Dragon with the ease I expected first round. That was pretty much Byron's game done for as his small infantry units by now were enveloped by Grots! So it was time for gin (actually the whole game was time for gin... and 6.5% beer... and jagerbombs. You get the idea). On the other side the Mourngul was a right pain, I had to feed it the remaining Ardboyz and then the smaller Brutes. Just couldn't do anything to it...even the Fanatics had a go and failed (they did see off Dan's Morghasts though). However we managed to pile into the central objective, flooding it with Grots to obtain the win.

Dan retreated the Mourngul away to secure their secondary objective. I don't actually know what it was as we were unable to achieve this one having no Behemoths (pro!). We did use it this game just to get rid of it. As it was we thought they were a tiebreak, little did we know until Round 4 that they were actually worth 5TPs each (30TP for a win).

Great start to the weekend though, both in terms of result and more important getting to have a blast with Byron & Dan, whilst still have a competitive game.

Result - Win (30TPs), Secondary Objective failed (0TPs)

Bit of a vague report I know, but I still have work to do today (and I want to leave a reason to listen to the podcast!). Hope it gives you an idea of the game though. I would certainly recommend reading the pack to help visualise the battleplans.

Check back later this week for the others :D 

Thanks, for reading

Chris x

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, LortOlle said:

Great looking army you got there. I got to grab some more brutes and get to painting. I feel I'm lagging behind.

Cheers bro, appreciate the kind words. I've really had to apply some pressure to myself and use tournament deadlines as a real motivation for getting my painting done to be honest.

If you check out the media on my Twitter feed (@the_black_sun) you can watch a short 2 min video I made yesterday about the stuff I have up and coming over the next couple of weeks...including a sneak peek at my Ardnob (no, it's not that sort of video!) conversion.

Ok, gonna try and squeeze in another quick report...

Game 7 - Brothers of Sigmar Round 2 - vs Jimbo Warth @Jimbo (Order) & Paul Berridge @Bedge (Order)

Since getting to know this pair (and some of the other EATBATs crew) last year as part of @Thornshield's Mingvitationals I'd been hoping to get in a game vs them both at an event as they are top blokes and always look like they are having fun at the table. So this draw was fantastic as it gave me a 2-for-1 offer!!

Their armies were again pretty solid, Jimbo had Drycha, Branchwych, 2x 10 Dryads, 3 Kurnoth Hunters w/ bows and 10 (I think) Executioners. Bedge was rocking a Lord Celestant, Knight Venator, Gryph Hound, 2x 5 Judicators, 5 Retributors and 5 Protectors.

Lots of nasty shooting...fortunately for me and @Paddy O'Sullivan this battleplan was to be playing at night time (fluffwise!). We'd be playing diagonal and running at some objectives they were defending. As it was dark, the filthy Order shooting could only see 8" - another lucky break after playing the summoning army that couldn't summon into the massive objective. Once again, check the link above to read the pack for a full rundown of @jonwarmington's sweet battleplans.

So there were 3 objectives that all started under Order control. Or atleast 1 did, with the other 2 just outside of their deployment zone. Bedge's army started on the table, me and Paddy got to run full bore at it before Jimbo's army arrived from the table edges (another scenario specific rule). The Dryads flooded on to try and tie up the Grots to stop them getting into the Paladin's with the Fanatics, however they weren't much of a problem for the diminutive Greenskinz, especially when the Ardboyz rocked up as well to make sure. On the other side the unit of 5 Brutes were deleted in an instant by the Executioners, in retaliation the unit of 10 Brutes charged in and returned the favour, before starting on the Kurnoth Hunters. Megaboss Krunk was having a torrid time however...Bedge put the Gryph Hound right in front of him to block up my move, hold up and maybe restrict synergies. Krunk wasn't happy about this so thought he may as well squish the annoying thing...only to double 1 his charge. In the next turn, the Gryph Hound charged Krunk back, actually did a wound and then ran away before he could get hit. A hilarious moment in game. The Hound later on killed a Brute as well!! Ridiculous. Incensed by this, Krunk went into Drycha and after a slap first round 1, deleted her straight up in the 2nd round of their duel. Pretty epic. By now the Grots had swarmed the Paladins and with the Fanatics had done a good number. Unfortunately we just ran out of time and the game ended in a draw. A fair result under the scenario. 

It was a great game, I really enjoyed it. I do think the scenario is ridiculously hard for the attacker to win and that's even with all our movement buffs. Still, this was counted by them not being able to shoot effectively. Again we didn't do our secondary, can't even remember what we went from (note a theme here...)

Result - Draw (15TPs), Secondary Objective failed (0TPs)

Anyway, will have to leave it there...sorry its a bit rushed. Work to do and all that, just noticed the time :S 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Cheers bro, appreciate the kind words. I've really had to apply some pressure to myself and use tournament deadlines as a real motivation for getting my painting done to be honest.

If you check out the media on my Twitter feed (@the_black_sun) you can watch a short 2 min video I made yesterday about the stuff I have up and coming over the next couple of weeks...including a sneak peek at my Ardnob (no, it's not that sort of video!) conversion.

Nice, yeah I went and watched that. It seems you have some painting to do. I ran and got a box of brutes so I got my night planned. 

I listen to the podcast as well, seems like it'll be a good listen.

• Like 1

@Chris Tomlin had a great game vs you and @Paddy O'Sullivan 

The brutes were super tough and their main weakness, their movement, is totally countered by the formation and abilities you selected. Makes three army really tough. And the Grots, well!! There's hundreds of hem!!! It's so hard to do enough damage to get rid of the little buggers. Perhaps releasing the fanatics earlier may have helped kill the retributors quicker.

Krunk made an example of Drycha so next time she'll have to have her revenge! :)

Was also great to see Da Black Sunz up close having followed their progress on Twitter. Lovely army bud and a well deserved prize. I'm gonna work harder on my painting so I can push you closer next time ;) 

Jimbo

• Like 1

What an army man,  congrats for it and for the passion you show to them!! If only i could be so constant and enthusiastic!

Love the megaboss conversion, also mine is a little custom i really appreciate this things!!

Edited by Morghot
  • Like 1

Grrrr just lost a whole long post on this!!! @Ben are we still experiencing issues? Forum timed out and wouldn't load any page etc.

So I'll try again but will keep it brief. I'll have to reply to all the above posts (thanks though!) later/tomorrow as well as the other 3 BoS reports. Super busy at work today after 4 days off :S

Hopefully everyone had a great Bank Holiday weekend? After a hilly 13.5 mile charity walk Friday and 2 Weddings on Saturday I was feeling sore and a little worse for wear Sunday. With that in mind I was able to spend all of Sunday and indeed Monday sat at my painting desk, working on the Ironjawz.

I am really pleased to be able to unveil my Maw-Krusha, The Red Cabbage himself, affectionately known by Da Black Sunz as Deez (due to a likeness he bears to certain someone). I couldn't be happier with how he came out and whilst it may have only been 2 days, like the Brutes above countless hours have gone in over a short period of time.

I am reserving full photos until the Megaboss is finished (half complete) and also I need to redo areas of the base due to my weird Agrellan Earth OCD!

He's a great sculpt and a pleasure to paint. The photos are a little dark (taken late last night), so things like the membranes look super dark. @Cowboy Boots Matt has suggested a final highlight, but to be honest with you at present he is just the right colour I envisaged and simply put I don't have the time to sink another 2-3 hours into that (if I was included to do so, not sure I am). I will see how it looks on the table I guess.

Anyways, don't have time for any more at present. Hope you like him!

Chris

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 9

Hey,

Unfortunately no time for a battle report today...a shame as the 3rd game was a truly epic Destruction off /sarcasm ;) 

Hope people are liking the Cabbage! Anyway, quick sweep of previous replies...

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:29 PM, LortOlle said:

Nice, yeah I went and watched that. It seems you have some painting to do. I ran and got a box of brutes so I got my night planned. 

I listen to the podcast as well, seems like it'll be a good listen.

Thanks so much for checking out all the media :) 

I bet you enjoyed putting the Brutes together, such a good kit. Lovely to paint as well. How did you end up equipping them?

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:23 PM, Jimbo said:

@Chris Tomlin had a great game vs you and @Paddy O'Sullivan 

The brutes were super tough and their main weakness, their movement, is totally countered by the formation and abilities you selected. Makes three army really tough. And the Grots, well!! There's hundreds of hem!!! It's so hard to do enough damage to get rid of the little buggers. Perhaps releasing the fanatics earlier may have helped kill the retributors quicker.

Krunk made an example of Drycha so next time she'll have to have her revenge! :)

Was also great to see Da Black Sunz up close having followed their progress on Twitter. Lovely army bud and a well deserved prize. I'm gonna work harder on my painting so I can push you closer next time ;) 

Jimbo

Cheers Jimbo, means a lot. As you know I'm a big big fan of all your work from your 8th ed DE and LM to your newer AoS stuff (especially that amazing Drycha). My vote went to Matt but you were a close second. Regardless, it was great to take home the award after all that hard work.

I would actually say the Brutes main weakness is their Bravery, but then again that's probably as I don't need to consider movement one anymore as you said!! Krunk is ready for round 2. Perhaps a 1v1 game will have to be on the cards somewhen?!

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 0:54 AM, Morghot said:

What an army man,  congrats for it and for the passion you show to them!! If only i could be so constant and enthusiastic!

Love the megaboss conversion, also mine is a little custom i really appreciate this things!!

Cheers bro! That's a great compliment. Glad the passion and enthusiasm comes through. Tbh all the hours painting at the moment is a little draining at times, so pleased to hear that's not the overriding emotion I'm projecting.

Nice spot on the Megaboss conversion. It's quite understated and I don't think a lot of people pick up on it!! Have you got a pic of yours?

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 0:45 PM, Dangermouse425 said:

Great battle report, though I dispute the accuracy of this claim... ;)

Dispute all you like, though it's a fact not a claim! :P haha

Thanks again for all replies, really helps with motivation.

Chris, the sexiest Megaboss in town! xxx

• Like 1

Great Mawkrusha! I'd like to see a complimentary color hidden in there somewhere though. Did you say his name was Dez? :) 

Why do Brutes seemingly take forever to paint? SO MANY DETAILS! It's awesome and endless at the same time, like the Glottkin.

• Like 1