The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

Good morning all,

I thought it was time I got a thread together to gather all my thoughts and progress on my Ironjawz army (perhaps branching into Destruction in a broader sense). I will be including modelling, painting, army lists, battle reports etc etc, I didn't want to do it as a separate blog or anything as I like the idea of keeping it within this Destruction sub forum (which for my money is the best part of the forum at the moment - some great chat, really enthusing me for this army). Hopefully @Ben and the Moderators are cool with this decision.

As well as this thread, you will also be able to hear about my exploits on my podcast - The Black Sun. You can find all the most recent episode on this forum, or check out iTunes or www.theblacksun.co.uk - It's not family friendly like most of the other podcasts out there, but is entertaining I like to think. Also I am reasonably active on Twitter, and usually like to post photos of most my games etc. Follow me @the_black_sun

I do actually have armies for all 4 of the Grand Alliances in AoS and whilst I am working on all of them simultaneously in various ways, I've definitely noticed my focus begin to increasingly shift towards Destruction. Disclaimer - when the Dark Aelves are released in whatever guise they may be, I am likely to abandon ship and spend all my time in the Order sub forum, being that they are my true Warhammer love, but for now, I'm all about the Ironjawz! ;) 

I've always been a fan of Orks in Warhammer 40,000 but have never actually played Orcs & Goblins in WFB. So whilst the detractors and troggoths bemoaned the pseudo 40K look of the Ironjawz, I think for me this aesthetic really drew me in and got me going green. So I have already actually played a bunch of games with Ironjawz, having gone "all in", as they say, on the release, but these were all at 100 SCGT points and included a Magma Dragon just to make up the points (oh, and its pretty good!). I figured with the impending release of the General's Handbook, now was a perfect time to draw a line under what's gone so far and start afresh with the new system.

We won't get into all the recent allegiance nonsense, you can read about that in other threads. Suffice to say, the Battleline "unlocks" for Ironjawz and the Destruction traits and artefacts make for a pretty nice combination. I'm not saying Ironjawz are going to be out there winning events (certainly not with me using them, if my abysmal results at Call to War are anything to go by!) but I am hoping and somewhat confident they can be competitive...and we have a pretty extensive thread on that right here in this forum!

So this is pretty much just an introductory post for now. I have already painted some models (not as many as I would've liked); Megaboss Krunk, who can be found in the gallery and 5 Brutes. I will take some better photos and add them to this thread as soon as possible. I am reasonably happy with the level of the paint jobs and whilst not my best work, believe the army will look nice upon the table. I've intentionally kept the basing quite plain, though I am consider scraping off some areas and adding the flavour of the month; Agrellan Earth, just to add some interest. Using my 40K Ork bitz box I have been able to customise my models and this combined with some reposing has allowed me to make all 20 Brutes so far individual. Just a bit of a shame I got my Gore-gruntas after the Brutes as mixing in their Jagged-Hackas would've been super cool. Considering another 10 Brutes just for this purpose.

This weekend (Thursday night to Sunday) I am attending Bossfest, a camping, drinking, gaming extravaganza. Whilst there will be various games being played, I am hopeful of getting in a good few games with Da Black Sunz, which will be the only AoS army I'll be taking. These will be my first games under the General's Handbook and will be played to 2,000 points using the Matched Played Battleplans. Many people in attendance will be practising for my 1 day event, Rain of Stars, which is removing the army restrictions and adding a sideboard (as the event is two weeks after the book drops), so we will also allow that over this weekend, therefore some of the armies I play may not be exactly true to the book. However, this should allow for some solid competition and really stress test the army. The list I use personally will be General's Handbook legal though.

For now, my pool of Ironjawz models is; Maw-krusha (happy to use as Gordrakk or Megaboss), Megaboss, Warchanter, Shaman, 20 Brutes, 10 Ardboyz, 3 Gore-gruntas. I am not adverse to buying more though! 2 more boxes of Gore-gruntas are definitely happening after assembling some this past weekend - amazing models. It's worth pointing out that aesthetics are definitely a consideration to me in this army.

Here is the list(s) I am currently considering for the weekend;

Da Black Sunz - 2,000 points

Gordrakk - 700

Megaboss - 140

Warchanter - 80

Weirdnob Shaman - 120

10 Brutes with Jagged Hackas - 360

5 Brutes with Choppas - 180

5 Brutes with Choppas - 180

10 Ardboyz - 180

Ironfist - 60

Total - 2,000 points

Nice to hit the 2,000 points dead on really! That seems a challenge in of itself under General's Handbook.

The main change I am considering is dropping Gordrakk for a baby Cabbage. The 180 point difference is nice as it allows another battleline unit - in this case Gore-gruntas (mostly just to get all my models on the table). If I wanna keep the big man in there, I can also include the Gore-gruntas by dropping 5 Brutes.

What do people think on this? Seems small to me! :S 

I'll leave it there for now. This afternoon I'll add my thoughts on Command Traits and Artefacts!

Thanks for reading,

Chris

• Like 7

Here are some really rubbish photos of the models I've painted so far. Megaboss Krunk and 5 Brutes. My phone camera is cracked so it clouds everything. I'll do some better ones in the future. Gives you an idea of my scheme at least though. You've heard it a million times, but they look better in the flesh! ;) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

They look really nice to me! There's the weathered armor, weapon hafts and the skin is really nice.

There is a nice benefit to taking the baby cabbage: Meteoric Hammerblade. Because the Mawkrusha is based on a small record, you can pretty much whallop a lot of models with mortal wounds.

1 hour ago, Bowlzee said:

With GHB stating you must have 5 models to claim objectives, are you not tempted to get more Ardboyz in to the list?

Yes and no.

Yes - I agree more models on the table is important and these are a good choice. Though I believe its just models, not 5 in one unit or anything.

No - Aesthetically they are no where near as nice as the other choices available and I am really struggling to paint the 10 that are on my desk at present!

In other news I forgot to have a proper look over the traits and artefacts on my lunch, so we'll revisit that a bit later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dez said:

They look really nice to me! There's the weathered armor, weapon hafts and the skin is really nice.

There is a nice benefit to taking the baby cabbage: Meteoric Hammerblade. Because the Mawkrusha is based on a small record, you can pretty much whallop a lot of models with mortal wounds.

Cheers man. Certainly all the wood and skin look much better in real life. The skin especially.

Yeah agree totally on that one. As soon as I read that artefact I thought of the Cabbage. As mentioned in my previous post I will discuss them alongside traits at a later time. Will post thoughts on them all relevant to my army.

@Stevewren - Thanks Steve, means a lot from you. Its weird, I quite like the basing, but I flat out knew it'd be the first thing people pick up on. I think I may try scraping off some areas of sand and add Agrellan Earth, then perhaps some tufts too. I just don't know. As I say, theres something about the simplicity of it I like.

Edited by Chris Tomlin

I like your basing. I'm going to go Agrellan myself, but with lots of little bits of interest in the basing. I want to make my basing like Fist of Gork, so a dried up desert with lots of bones and stuff. I'd experimented with different effects, but Agrellan Earth just does it so well!

Nice work, the pink isn't quite doing it for me though, its a bit too baby pink, I think a darker acidic Warlock Purple type pink would have worked better, maybe lined with white to really contrast against the black.

Some great conversions in there, keep up the good work!

Wow...thanks for all the replies. Glad overall people seem to be liking them. I should get some time into the Ardboyz next week and once they are done I'll take some better photos of the lot. Obviously we'll have some gaming/theory updates before then. Hoping I can use all the comments and conversation here as real motivation to power through the army, like a true Greenskin, feeding off the Waaaagh energy!

18 hours ago, Dez said:

I like your basing. I'm going to go Agrellan myself, but with lots of little bits of interest in the basing. I want to make my basing like Fist of Gork, so a dried up desert with lots of bones and stuff. I'd experimented with different effects, but Agrellan Earth just does it so well!

Cheers, my only worry with Agrellan Earth is whether it flakes off or anything over time. Having not used it before I'm not really sure on the application. I've seen a few people have regular sand basing like mine with patches of the cracked earth and do kinda like that. Hhhm - I wonder if @Stevewren has any words of wisdom as I know he's used it (+ Martian Ironearth) a far bit.

14 hours ago, Malakithe said:

That's damn near my 2k list too. 2k exactly. It's great that all the units are 180 to swap things around. 

To be honest, it's going to take something a bit off the wall to be considered innovative with an Ironjawz list I think. We are reasonably limited on options so I do think a lot of builds will look similar. As you say having the 3 Battleline units at 180 is really nice, allows people to take a core force and tailor it to suit their preferences - be it gaming and/or aesthetics. I guess adding additional Battalions (ie a Gorefist, which I would like to try myself) mixes things up a bit. I think the weakest point in my army probably is the Megaboss on foot, but he's such a cool model and I really like mine...so I'm going to struggle to drop him haha!

14 hours ago, Malakithe said:

What kit is that main weapon from?

On the Megaboss? It's a bit obscure, its from the Forgeworld 40K Ork Kommando upgrade kit. I used all the sweet gas mask heads on my Tankbustas. Works quite nicely here, although theres a connecting piece on the head that doesn't really line up. Its cool though.

12 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Loving it! Your varied bitz box is really paying off I'd say. Glad to see some of your work, and definitely know who to turn to for list advice!

Cheers bro! Yeh it was nice to fish through the 40K bitz, I did have to dial it back a bit at points as it was going a bit OTT. But just the odd head swap etc adds a bit of character. I also like my conversion of the Gore Choppa in a one handed pose.

Regarding lists, I wouldn't say I've done anything out of the box as per the above. I do hope to be able to play a lot of games and impart my findings though, so if that's of use to anyone, all the better :) 

6 hours ago, cb_rex said:

Nice work, the pink isn't quite doing it for me though, its a bit too baby pink, I think a darker acidic Warlock Purple type pink would have worked better, maybe lined with white to really contrast against the black.

Some great conversions in there, keep up the good work!

Hey there, thanks for the feedback. To be honest, my usual method of pink historically has been to build from Warlock Purple as this fits in with my club colours of a more "Hot" than "Baby" pink. This new method came about from a GorkaMorka mob I painted last year (Also called Da Black Sunz) and I kinda just stuck with it, but definitely do see your point. Oddly I hadn't actually given it much thought as I just copied that GM paint scheme straight across.

Giving it some consideration now, I do think that what you have suggested would look good if I was say painting panels of the armour in the pink. But as "warpaint" daubed over the top of armour and skin alike, I think perhaps this softer, less stark, tone may be more appropriate. I dunno. Interesting and you've got me thinking so thanks for the comments!

4 hours ago, Dez said:

You know I keep coming back to look and I keep seeing more stuff that I didn't pick up before, these Ironjawz are great!

Cheers Dez! Very kind. Glad you like them. Once I have more Brutes done, you will see that no two are the same :) 

Thanks again for all the comments

Afternoon Ardboyz (and Gurlz?),

I thought I'd just quickly go over the Destruction Traits, posting some brief thoughts on each. Obviously over time these opinions may change as I use them in game etc.

I'm not going to post screenshots of the pages, detail full rules or anything. It's all available out there if you know where to look or ask the right people.

Battle Trait

Rampaging Destroyers - Clearly this ability is super super strong and really helps the army out. If they do later bring out some Ironjawz specific stuff, it'll have to be pretty good to be picked over this. Obviously it does require a little thought in deployment and indeed movement in subsequent turns.

Command Traits

Nothing Left Standing - 100% this is my favourite Trait fluffwise and thematically. It's so cool and I quite fancy giving it a go for the lolz at some point. In general though, it's not that great.

Might is Right - Pretty solid. You'd want to put this on a Maw-krusha Megaboss if you do take it to maximise its effectiveness I would think. Worth a look.

Wild Fury - This one doesn't specify it works on the mount as well, so is maybe less good. Can't see myself picking it really.

Bellowing Tyrant - Potentially very nice if you are running a large block of Brutes or Ardboyz and stacks with other things. Definitely not one to overlook. Note it is only D6" and not a fixed range so you do have to be a bit clever.

Big and Brutish - It's fine, but there are better options available.

Ravager - This, for my money, is definitely the pick of the bunch. Guaranteeing at least 3" extra movement for potentially all your units is massive.

In my mind I think I would always be taking Ravager if I'm honest. Seems super solid. That said, I think Bellowing Tyrant is my second favourite and I quite like that on a foot Megaboss who's keeping speed with 10 Brutes armed with Jagged Hackas. I will certainly be trying that one out as well.

I wonder how my opinions will change after some games? What do you guys think?

I'll come back to discuss the Artefacts tomorrow/later this afternoon.

Cheers for reading,

Chris

I totally concur with your analysis. I can see Nothing Left Standing being very nice vs Sylvaneth.

"Nice woods there RAARARARARARARARARAR!!!! Scared 'em! Keep yer Treelords over there, ya lousy splinta boyz!"

• Like 2

All good observations.

Nothing left standing is the anti-Sylvaneth rule - I gather it would remove the ability of Sylvaneth to teleport to a wood (as it would lose all its scenery rules). However, it's very situational.

Wild Fury is poor compared to Bellowing Tyrant as you could always pick the general himself as the target of bellowing target as he is within D6 inches of himself.

Big and Brutish is junk.

• Like 1

@Dez & @Nico - Great shout on smashing up the Sylvaneth woods! I'll admit that I hadn't considered that. I'm still not sure it makes it better than the "good" picks, but certainly gives it a purpose. As one I wanted to try at some point for fun anyway, I think I will ensure its vs Sylvaneth!

Just not convinced being mildly annoying to your opponents plan is better than actively improving your own stuff?

12 minutes ago, Nico said:

Wild Fury is poor compared to Bellowing Tyrant as you could always pick the general himself as the target of bellowing target as he is within D6 inches of himself.

Yes indeed. Also in this instance it would also work on a Maw-krusha. However I maintain that Bellowing Tyrant is better on a regular Megaboss. Well, not better...but you're less inclined to position poorly for the sakes of the buff. If that makes sense?!

Nothing left standing is also good if your faced with an annoying piece of deadly terrain, smash it up and charge will really catch an enemy off guard. 

Though its situational of course.....

i I like the bellowing tyrant and +2 movement options best having played with these buggers pre and post update ardboyz hitting on 3s is a lot lot better than hitting on 4s 

• Like 1

Hey there Ardboyz,

So this past weekend was Bossfest, you can check out Twitter for some photos of the social side of the event. Suffice to say it was suitably messy and I barely feel alive today. Definitely phasing in and out of reality like a denizen of the Realm of Shadows today!

I managed to get 3 games of Warhammer in over weekend (as well as some Infinity, Open Combat, party games and RPGing). All 2,000 points using the General's Handbook, which I was lucky enough to get a copy of (not from GW mind!!) meaning we could fully utilise everything, as whilst all the points seem freely available I hadn't had PDF/photos of the battleplans etc beforehand.

I did take some photos of the games, when my phone battery wasn't dead, so I will add those later. My list was as discussed above, but for the sake of completeness;

Da Black Sunz - Ironjawz 2,000 points (Destruction Allegiance in game)

• Megaboss on Maw-krusha (Artefact: Hammerblade in game 1, Talisman of Preservation in games 2 and 3)
  • Megaboss Krunk (Trait: Ravager. Artefact: Battle Brew)
  • Warchanter
  • Weirdnob Shaman
  • Ironfist
  • 10 Brutes (Jagged Hackas)
  • 5 Brutes (Choppas)
  • 5 Brutes (Choppas)
  • 10 Ardboyz (9 Big Choppas, 1 shield)
  • 3 Gore-gruntas (Choppas)

It's 2,000 on the nose, which usually means my opponent will be getting a roll on the Triumph table. Situationally this is pretty big.

First thing I would say off the bat is that without the Destruction allegiance benefits, I think this army would be pretty useless. After using it, Rampaging Destroyers is so strong and a really necessity for the army. Combined with the Ironfist, it does give our move 4 units some real threat range.

Still, it's funny to see how it makes my army useable, but then applied to other armies (Like @ChippyRick's Beastclaw Avalanche), its flat out bent!! Overall, I think Destruction have done well out of the General's Handbook on a Trait/Artefact front. I still think Battleline is going to pose a bit of a problem for some lists. Not a fan.

Here's a rundown of my games (please note, details may be vague/incorrect due to alcohol consumption);

Game 1 - vs @Paul Buckler (Chaos - Bloodscorched Bulltribe) 

I had allowed Paul to use this awesome Battalion, we simply multiplied the SCGT cost x20, in the hope that he'll bring it to my event in a few weeks time (I really like it). Basically he has a Doombull, 3 units of Bullgors, 3 Ghorgons (all marked Khorne with extra wounds), a Bloodstoker, a Shaman and a Gargant. Looks awesome on the table. This Battleplan had 4 objectives in a square across the board (think this was Blood and Glory). It was an odd sort of game as we both had pure combat armies. I was very keen to try not to pile all my units in vs him in one go as fighting multiple combats would result in a lot of pain for me. I took the Hammerblade on the Cabbage, though almost instantly regretted my decision due to the number of models on both sides. I do think this is a great option for the Cabbage, but it's not by any means an auto include. The combats seemed very swingy, with a Ghorgon and 3 Bullgor deleting 5 Brutes and the Cabbage on one side shocking me! The Gore-Gruntas did ok by taking down the Gargant and more importantly in the middle of the board my unit of 10 Brutes (with immune to battleshock, mystic shield and Warchanter buff) doing an absolute number on a pair of Ghorgons. Unfortunately the other Bullgors had a mental round of combat and saw off a large number of the Brutes in return - highlighting my earlier concerns of engaging multiple units. Basically it became pretty clear that we would both control two objectives (despite it being on number of models - neither of us had many!) which would put the result of the game down to kill points. Whilst I had taken down all 4 Behemoths by this point (Brutes tend to do this pretty handily tbh, thanks to their Duff up da big 'uns special rule allowing them to reroll hits), I was unable to finish off any of the Bullgor units and unfortunately Paul just scraped the win.

Result - Minor Loss

This was a really good game and straight away had me liking the Ironjawz under GH thanks to all the extra movement. Paul is one of my favourite AoS opponents as he always brings something interesting and is a great guy at the table. It was somewhat odd in that we both had such hitty armies. Paul probably played it quite a lot better tbh as he packed all his units so tightly in one line and moved them forward as a solid block, that way it made it really hard for me to engage his units on a one-on-one basis and as he said himself, he didn't care who's turn we fought in. I'll admit I did feel up early doors, even with the Cabbage going down so quick (he did actually kill the 3rd Ghorgon - though 11 of those wounds were caused by the shooting attack over 2 rounds!!!) as I went through the Behemoths quickly. But the Bullgors won out over the Brutes in the war of attrition.

Paul is on this forum, so he may be able to weigh in with some further comments.

I'll post up Games 2 and 3 over this afternoon/tomorrow. I will also be doing my run down of the Artefacts this week as well, plus some chat around 1,000 point Ironjawz (for an upcoming doubles event). Essentially, spoiler, I'm really hyped for the army at the moment!!

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 4

Game 2 - vs Andy Burton (Chaos - Skaven mixed Clan)  @Peabody

List was the same as Game 1, although I swapped the Hammerblade for the Talisman on the Cabbage. Whilst in theory the Hammerblade could prove useful vs the high model count Skaven, the vast threat of mortal wounds had me reaching for the Talisman to try and keep the Cabbage alive a bit longer. Andy's list was (roughly); Grey Seer, Warpseer, Deceiver, Arch Warlock, Stormvermin, 2x Clanrats, Warp Lightning Cannon, Doom Wheel, Hellpit Abomination, Rattling Gun, Warpfire Thrower and 3 Jezzails.

We played the Battleplan that is akin to the SCGT Celestial Compass one (again, can't remember the name - useless!). Essentially we each have an objective in our deployment zone that we must hold with the most models with 6". If you ever hold both objectives you win a Major victory, otherwise it comes down to kill points.

I was actually pretty confident in this one as I knew realistically there was no way he'd be claiming my objective. So I camped the Ardboyz out on mine with the Weirdnob near enough to score +1 from them (plus a further +1 from some Arcane terrain) and chuck spells forward. The rest of the army went forward at speed...well, the big unit of Brutes did, I think I must've rolled a 2 for everything else, which was a bit rubbish!

The unit of 10 Brutes, fully buffed up went into the Clanrats (and the Jezzails) turn 1 with a 10" inch and I was rubbing my hands together thinking I could smash them to bits, hopefully win the double turn (gave first turn to Andy as most his shooting was out of range - the rest did very little in his first turn), take off the Stormvermin who were behind them. I'd then be on his objective and boom - game over bro! Unfortunately this wasn't to be as the Brutes rolled utterly abysmally. Whilst they killed the Jezzails, they killed less than a handful of rats thanks to a lack of rerolls as Megaboss Krunk was not able to keep pace. They were also immune to Battleshock which further embarrassed the Brutes. As it was, there was no double turn anyway. The Deceiver had Skitterleapt in to the Gore-gruntas and was soon backed up by the Abomination. This brutal tag team made short work of the big piggies.

Andy had 2 bits of Mystical terrain in his deployment zone, which could've had a pretty big impact on this game. I gave him the pro tip of rolling for all the units before casting spells (I think a lot people always assume its best to roll for Mystical terrain last thing in the Hero phase, but there are benefits to doing it at other times if you have buffs). As it was he passed for everything, giving lots of rerolls. The Stormvermin went in and made a right mess of the Brutes (thankfully my Brutes were also immune to Battleshock). In the next turn I had moved the Megaboss up which inspired the Brutes to great things, finishing off the Clanrats and hurting the Stormvermin (who were now immune to Battleshock), though of course they killed a couple back.

Meanwhile, the Cabbage was getting repeatedly hit by Howling Warpgale (the Talisman did help out with the 3 Mortal wounds) and did eventually charge the other Clanrats, killing them. The Doomwheel didn't achieve much, but pulled 5 Brutes out of position to see it off with ease. The other 5 Brutes did a similar job on the Abomination, but couldn't deal with the Deceiver.

The main combat in the middle was where the battle hinged. The Stormvermin's ability to retreat and recharge was really solid. Andy did roll a 1 for Mystical terrain on them which would've been game winning for me I suspect. However, it transpired he misunderstood the rule, thinking he would need trail the unit within 3" to keep the buff the turn before. When I explained this wasn't the case (ie, once he rolled 2+ in T2 hero phase he could move away and the reroll wounds would stick until his next hero phase) I allowed him to move them away, denying them rerolls to wound if they rolled 2+, but obvious as he had already rolled a 1 the difference was quite big. Still, I'd rather not win a game on a mistake/misunderstanding like that and it was a friendly/learning game so all good.

This resulted in the Stormvermin (with magical and shooting assistance) killing the remaining Brutes. At this stage in the game this meant there was no way I'd be able to take his objective, so like Game 1, we were now down to kill points. Unfortunately his 4 spell casters proved too much and the mortal wounds chipped away. We added up points killed and worked out the best option for "soft targets" etc in the remaining turns, but it was too far gone for me.

Result - Minor Loss

I do like the Matched Play Battleplans, but I wonder how many times it'll come down to "well we've drawn the objective, let's just kill each other"? Honestly, I've not played enough to have any idea if that'll be a thing, though at this point you can forgive me for thinking it. I'll admit I did feel slightly hard done by this result (Don't get me wrong, the game was still super fun!) as I had played to actually win the objective. My army is just not resilient enough vs the mortal wound spam. A bit of luck here and there and I reckon this could've been an early win for me, but I suppose in retrospect if I didn't smash through right away and get the win, the magic/shooting chipping away at me was always going to ensure that Andy won the war of attrition.

I guess that is my one reservation with the army. Do I just need to smash it forward and try to win early before the opponent has a chance to really fight back? I've kinda argued against that a bit in the "competitive Ironjawz" thread, so we'll have to see I guess. Also, remember what I've just said for when I get onto the 3rd battle report! :P

Again, Andy is on the forum so hopefully he'll chime in with his thoughts.

Thanks for reading,

Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 2