The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

Friday afternoon!! Woooo!

Well, hobbywise, I got nothing guys. The weather is lovely and Final Fantasy XIV is addictive. That's pretty much it. It's an utter shame as I have those 3 Gore-gruntas so so close to being complete. I really need to get them over the line now and off my desk. It's just the conditions for painting are not fun at present.

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, Payce said:

Those leg muscles, man. Leaps like Kal-El. Just bobbing across the battlefield without a care.

Yeh. It works doesn't it. I can't see people minding I suppose. Might look a bit stupid on that pie plate mind!!

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Sangfroid said:

@Chris Tomlin In the story the MawKrusha doesn't so much as fly as jump glide a bit and then land on things with a squish, you could easily just have him leaping about and landing on stuff claws out like the Jurassic park movies, but in any event AoS or 40k it's a great conversion Gorkamorka is a proud deity seeing this

As for counts as, Its not exactly a piece of cardboard stuck to a tuna can is it ?

Haha!! Gotta love the tuna cans! Yeh similarly to what @Payce said I do think there is an argument for it working. Not sure myself though, I guess I can show it to any given TO and see what they think. I didn't make him to be a proxy/stand-in so I'm not particularly fussed :) 

1 hour ago, William Dickinson said:

Krunk is looking mighty fine, all versions of him are an inspiration - in fact I've been playing around with magnets on my Megaboss 'Daddy' Waaghbux and I'm also looking at a power klaw for funsies.

The world of MMORPG's is a very consuming one! I'm doing my best to ignore most games otherwise it's too easy to not sit down and get some hobby done because it's 'more effort' or whatever!

This is what I was thinking too- Krunkasaur never skips leg day.

William x

I'll be honest, I'm kinda expecting to see a few Megaboss with power klaw conversions popping up now ;) 

Yeh I haven't played many video games over the last few years as it tends to be either/or with that and hobby for me.

Cheers guys, have a great weekend
Chris

• Like 2

Hey guys,

So a couple of weeks ago this was the weather thread, now it's the Final Fantasy thread haha!! :P 

I'm ok with this as I still don't have any hobby to offer. I'm meant to be at the Element Games Grand Slam in a few weeks (though currently having some transport issues), so will probably take the Ironjawz to that. I had hoped for one last hurrah with the Megabrutes in case GH2017 changes up the General rules...however the event is banned non-Leader models as General. Great! :S 

15 hours ago, Chillpill said:

Is the new FFXIV expansion good? I was a very late starter for ARR/HW and only managed to finish the ARR storyline... the amount of mundane quests just to unlock HW really were a downer for me so I quit...

Tbh I've only just started playing last couple of weeks. I got a good package for ARR/HW on PSN, so haven't actually bought SB yet. Currently up to Level 45 as a Dragoon (levelled Gladiator to 26 and Marauder to 15 as well).

Really enjoying the game tbh, couple of monotonous parts, but all in all it's exactly what I want from the game.

27 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

I'm jealous of this as I watched Kingsglaive yesterday...

That's FFXV, which is also great. Completed the main story on that, but want to go back and do some additional hunts, dungeons etc.

Final Fantasy games are pretty much the only ones I play haha! I do have The Last Guardian to play at some point as well though.

• Like 3

On 10/07/2017 at 0:36 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

That's FFXV, which is also great. Completed the main story on that, but want to go back and do some additional hunts, dungeons etc.

Final Fantasy games are pretty much the only ones I play haha! I do have The Last Guardian to play at some point as well though.

I have to admit all of my FF knowledge is from the films.... (awful I know). Tempted to try and pick up a PS4 during the Christmas sales, really intrigued by the universe. My FLG has the card game in too now so I've been eyeing up that.

ANYWAY - apologies for derailing your thread with computer games...

Just started listening to the RAW17 episode of TBS this morning, looking forward to updates of your Ironjawz heading into it!

1 hour ago, Caffran101 said:

Not to worry - Could make a good topic for a Black Sun weekly? =D

Perhaps. Although I'm not overly keen on speculation on the podcast.

14 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

I have to admit all of my FF knowledge is from the films.... (awful I know). Tempted to try and pick up a PS4 during the Christmas sales, really intrigued by the universe. My FLG has the card game in too now so I've been eyeing up that.

ANYWAY - apologies for derailing your thread with computer games...

Just started listening to the RAW17 episode of TBS this morning, looking forward to updates of your Ironjawz heading into it!

The Final Fantasy TCG is a very good game, well worth a go. Getting my Opus 3 booster box preorder in today actually!!

Also don't worry about derailing...it's not like there is any hobby to derail currently! :( 

Hope you enjoy the podcast!

Edited by Chris Tomlin

Good morning,

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, Caffran101 said:

Chris - What are your expectations with GH2 in regards to Ironjawz, and Destruction as a whole?

What would you like to see?

What do you expect to see? (slightly different questions).

What I would like to see;

• Points reductions for Gore-gruntas, Maw-krusha and some of the Battalions etc (these amendments are only relevant if the rest of the points changes in the book balance out if that makes sense).
  • Ardboys minimum unit size of 5 and generic Battleline.
  • The ability to have a non-Leader General as per the main rules remaining, even if you forfeit the ability to take a Trait, having the option would be nice (not directly Ironjawz/Destruction, but ya know!).
  • New Ironjawz specific Traits, Artefacts and hopefully spells. I would like these to focus on movement and Battleshock buffs.
  • Battle Brew for Ironjawz!! (This one won't happen!)

I was going to do a separate section on what I expect to see, but honestly I'm not sure what to expect. The things I've listed above don't seem unrealistic or over the top I don't think. I can see non-Leader General's being restricted in Matched Play, even though more recent Battletomes have addressed this nicely. I'm not sure the Ardboys thing would come to fruition, but overall I would like to see something done with Battleline I think.

Sorry, haven't really gone into as much detail on that as I initially hoped to.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, Chillpill said:

I picked up Stormblood and am Samurai-ing it up like damn!

Apparently Samurai is pretty hardcore!! What server you on?

I have submitted my army list for the Element Games Grand Slam next weekend and will be playing @Dangermouse425 round one;

• Krunk - Battle Brew
  • Pig Benis on Cabbage - General, Bellowing Tyrant, Talisman
  • Amy the Shaman
  • Warchanter
  • 10 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes
  • 3 Gore-gruntas
  • 3 Gore-gruntas
  • 10 Ardboys
  • Ironfist

Possibly the worst Ironjawz army I've taken to an event tbh, but being the last GH1 event I go to with them (probably) I though what the hell, should be a laugh regardless. They've inexplicably banned non-Leader Generals (WHY!?!) and I felt like motivating myself to finish the second Grunta unit.

I suspect this will be one of my lowest finishes, but it's a great crowd so I'm expecting some super fun games!

Looking forward to being able to share some new model photos with you all for the first time in ages soon!

Chris

• Like 5

Hey,

So I recently received some super cool terrain from https://minimonsters.eu/ - This stuff is absolutely perfect for an AoS table I think. Along with my Barren Wasteland F.A.T mat, my Immortal Realms Shattered Shard, I am really starting to build up a really cool looking table for my Ironjawz to battle on. Thanks to @Fungrim for pointing me in the direction of Mini Monsters.

The resin quality is really good and the casts are very crisp with minimal clean up. They are genuinely some of the best resin kits I have worked with. Remember you should always clean up resin with warm soapy water before assemble (or just take them in the bath like I do!).

Unfortunately I ran out of super glue this #wipwednesday, so we'll have to wait to see the full assembly of the tower (which is so so cool!).

Can't wait to finish building them and get some paint on them. Already I think I'd like to pick up the rest of their "Orc" themed range.

Just to note I do have some 20% vouchers for this company and will do some sort of giveaway.

Enjoy!

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 8

@Chris Tomlin no problem mate, glad it's been useful for you! They look ace as well, those palisades in particular (much bigger than I thought!)

Looking forward to seeing some paint on them. Sadly mine have been neglected since I built them as I got side-tracked painting some reinforcements for my Ironjawz (+40k....), but will hopefully get some WIPs up soon too.

• Like 1

I think my only problem with these (and most Orc scenery) is that it feels too primitive. It feels like it would be perfect alongside some Bone Splittas, but there isn't enough metal worked in for my taste. I guess I'm just too picky, wanting encampment pieces that is in-between fantasy and 40k.

That said, it is looking good, and I'm really wanting to see it painted now to complement your Black Sunz. Especially that Shaman Cave.

Edited by Tuluth
Continued post.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tuluth said:

I think my only problem with these (and most Orc scenery) is that it feels too primitive. It feels like it would be perfect alongside some Bone Splittas, but there isn't enough metal worked in for my taste. I guess I'm just too picky, wanting encampment pieces that is in-between fantasy and 40k.

That said, it is looking good, and I'm really wanting to see it painted now to complement your Black Sunz. Especially that Shaman Cave.

Like this?

03c1f183eaca2bf01a0634aa26700723.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just a quick post. Hopefully I'll be back properly soon. 

Had an enjoyable weekend at EGGS this past weekend. In the lead up to the event I finally finished off my second Gore-grunta unit. Some typically awful photos that don't depict them accurately, but I'm really really happy how these came out;

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

• Like 15