What do you look for in a youtube channel??

Hi guys! 

Me and my friend are looking to create our own youtube channel dedicated to Tabletop gaming. Content would range from painting videos, to making scenery to battle reports and as it stands I'm currently doing some market research so my questions to you guys and girls are - 

1) What makes you subscribe to a youtube channel? 

2) What are the most important things to you in regards to battle reports?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see more channels with battle reports including lists from current meta. I mean - fun battles are ok, but clashes between strong meta lists give you more insight into what's going on in AoS right now.

For battle reports you can get all your answers If you look at the successful 40k channels - Striking Scorpion, Tabletop Tactics, Winters an so on. Nobody is making content of that quality for AoS so there is a gap in the market right there (Albeit a smaller market than 40k). I think your biggest challenge is variety to begin with. How many well painted armies do you have access to?

Similarly I haven't seen anyone doing in depth battletome review/tactica shows. Rob Symes is doing good stuff with honest wargamer but its a more interactive format and works better on Twitch - If you watch it back on Youtube its no way near as engaging. If I don't catch that stuff live i just don't watch it.

Painting videos - I just watch GW's vids for basic stuff and I watch Vince Venturella and Next Level for more advanced and airbrush techniques. I will watch videos from other sources but they would need to be better than those 3 for me to keep watching/ subscribe.

The internet is flooded with Warhammer content in general so I think more than one element of your shows needs to stand out for people to keep watching - It could be your personality and interaction with the other presenters, the tables and armies, the quality of what you say and the advice you present, the frequency you publish etc. The best 40k channels are hitting all these things so it would be great to see someone hit that standard for Sigmar.

Good luck with it!

Decent quality camera and sound, really the only important things for me at least. Also,

Don't go on weird political rants and then retweet a literal white supremacist (Youtube is like a garbage dump on fire, jeeze)

Wish you the best of Luck :D

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

For battle reports you can get all your answers If you look at the successful 40k channels - Striking Scorpion, Tabletop Tactics, Winters an so on. Nobody is making content of that quality for AoS so there is a gap in the market right there (Albeit a smaller market than 40k). I think your biggest challenge is variety to begin with. How many well painted armies do you have access to?

Similarly I haven't seen anyone doing in depth battletome review/tactica shows. Rob Symes is doing good stuff with honest wargamer but its a more interactive format and works better on Twitch - If you watch it back on Youtube its no way near as engaging. If I don't catch that stuff live i just don't watch it.

Painting videos - I just watch GW's vids for basic stuff and I watch Vince Venturella and Next Level for more advanced and airbrush techniques. I will watch videos from other sources but they would need to be better than those 3 for me to keep watching/ subscribe.

The internet is flooded with Warhammer content in general so I think more than one element of your shows needs to stand out for people to keep watching - It could be your personality and interaction with the other presenters, the tables and armies, the quality of what you say and the advice you present, the frequency you publish etc. The best 40k channels are hitting all these things so it would be great to see someone hit that standard for Sigmar.

Good luck with it!

I’d love to see an age of Sigmar channel in striking scorpions style. 

1 hour ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

Invest in a decent quality microphone or two (poor sound scares me off more than video) and never use the word meta.

This - as long as the video and sound quality is good then people will give you a chance.

In terms of content:

Try mixing up small (painting tutorials?) and large (battle reports?) videos.

If you are going to do 'live' battle reports:

Know your rules - or at least edit out flicking through a rule book

Make sure the viewer can see the dice when you roll. Also make sure it is clear what you are rolling for, and what a successful roll would be (I.e rolling for the liberators warhammers, need 4s to hit, 3s to wound).

Depending on how your editing skills are - when you are using a unit to do stuff with, maybe have a section of the screen where you put up the units warscroll? That way people can immediately see what the rules for that unit are. 

Even though it would be giving stuff away to your opposing players, explain why you are doing things - remember to keep communicating with the viewers.

Do not ask us to "comment, like and subscribe" at the end of each video.

The vast majority of my "viewing" time is actually at work, where I put on a set of headphones to avoid being interrupted, so I tend to not see much of the actual video.  So first and foremost is a reasonable commentary - not much use listening to three hours worth of, "did you see those rolls!" type comments.  Second up is evening matched opponents, as Host I believe it's really important to make sure that both armies sit at roughly the same level in terms of competitiveness.  If one person brings along a friendly army and their opponent the latest tournament ready one, it's not very enjoyable watching one person get smashed - bit like you'd not want to watch a heavy weight boxer against a feather weight.

I would love a series of daily/weekly narrative battle reports

Firestorm? Huge apocolyose battles?

Anything narrative

Edit: If you could hang the camera from above/somewhere where it can see everything, that would be great. Also a view of the warscroll and a seperate camera for dice would be amazing.

When you make it pls post a link!

I would say be consistent in when you put content out even if some of it is a much shorter segment. Nothing worse than waiting ages for new content you'll soon be forgotten.

Get quite a lot of material ready in advance the editing can take more time than anything until you get used to it. You can reedit if needs be depending on feedback. The whole thing can be a time sink when starting out.

Don't force humour.

Beware the trolls.

In terms of battle reports, then I would really like to know the 'why', instead of just the 'what'.

My favourite part of battlereport are the end part, where the players sometimes discuss the game and why they did what they did, and what they would've done differently. The those are the parts that I learn from, and I prefer to learn something when I'm watching tabletop videos on Youtube, be that painting, tactics, lore or news.

To the point content is something that is really overlooked recently on youtube as well. People seem hungry for subscribers. Far too often you see youtubers pouring their life story into the beginning of a video "Hey guys, sorry for the late video, I... etc" then after 4 minutes of that followed by the whole please check out my patreon, like & subscribe if you haven't, if you want to support me, please buy my shirts  sell your soul, etc.

I personally don't mind a short chat, but sometimes the 'intro' feels way too long.

If it's possible, I would say using a variety of armies would be good. A lot of times I see bat reps and it's the same two armies over and over so a little variety is nice. That depends on the armies you guys have at hand though but it might lead you to painting videos for new armies you acquire.

I don't want to see talking heads!

Show me the mini's, the dice rolls, the action unfolding, a nice table with good terrain...

Have  proper editing, quality sound, good commentary in a clear voice,  a really short intro if you feel like you need one (keep it at 5 seconds or less).

Keep it brief!

The number one thing that puts me off YouTube channels is an annoying presenter. I can't stand, for example, the Next Level Painting guy, he just sounds so over the top and pretentious. Contrast with Uncle Atom at the Tabletop Minions channel, who I could probably listen to talking about molecular biology for hours.

Good picture quality, good lighting (everyone forgets lighting, normal house lights aren't gonna cut it), good sound and steady camera work. Even if you are doing a hardcore, high meta, competitive battle, try and tell a story with your video.

And don't have an animated intro on each video that lasts more than 5 seconds (that gets tired real quick)

In terms of battle reports I would like to see:

1). Well matched armies

2). Not cutting away from phases unless it's positioning a horde unit

3). Duration of between 40-80 minutes

4). Some commentary on which rules are being utilised and good knowledge of said army rules

In terms of painting I would like to see:

1). Short tutorials, under 5 minutes where possible

2). No assumed knowledge, explain if you are diluting paint, what with, roughly what ratio, etc.

3). Before and after shots at the end - almost no one does this for some reason

As others have said, I think you're on a more difficult sell with painting videos, in that a lot of people are producing high quality content in this area, so you would need to have a specific hook to make it worth your while to take the time. If you could produce good quality battle reports for Age of Sigmar though, then you'd be on to a winner.

Personally I love tactics videos. And I don't mean one's where someone basically just reads the warscroll and doesn't actually say anything else. It's nice watching the videos where people talk about how to use different units etc or even just where people discuss common and uncommon tactics to just use in battles in general, as someone who doesn't get too many games in it's super nice to be able to learn from these videos and start applying what I learn.

Also videos of skirmish, firestorm or path to glory games as well as matched& narrative ones would be good.

If you feel up to it a smsll segment on basically a roundup of tabletop news following new releases and the like would be good so folks can get everything in one place.

I'm in the same position as you mate, decided there wasn't enough AoS stuff out there so I decided to film a Path to Glory campaign on the more narrative side. I watch most battle reports whilst I'm painting, glancing up every now and then to see what's going on. Videos like TableTop Tactics and Winters SEO tell you what's going on, which makes it easy to listen to. I tried to emulate that. I've only been going for about 3 weeks, and had a lot to learn in terms of getting sound right, especially without decent camera equipment. I think it's come out alright though.

Take a look, may give you some ideas/inspiration:

6 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Personally I love tactics videos. And I don't mean one's where someone basically just reads the warscroll and doesn't actually say anything else. It's nice watching the videos where people talk about how to use different units etc or even just where people discuss common and uncommon tactics to just use in battles in general, as someone who doesn't get too many games in it's super nice to be able to learn from these videos and start applying what I learn.

This would be great if people did more tactics explanations with models on tables. Actually demonstrate them in action.

Archived