Tales of Sigmar - Tale of Gamers - Month 1

Army - Destruction

Month 1 Budget: £50
Month 1 Spend: £49.75 orukk mega boss £20 and ard boys £29.75

Total Spend:£49.75
Remaining Budget: £0.25

I always wanted to do a "Orc and goblin" army back in 8th edition but a few things always stopped me like not having the money or the patience to cope with animosity (ah through backs) but now with Aos and this tale of sigmar thing I can slowly build up an army without spending loads in one go. So the army I always wanted back in 8th is what I'm aiming for so a big unit of black orcs, Orc boys, giant, war machines things along those lines even some moon clan grots with chains might make it into the army so rather than say I'm doing iron jaws I think I'm just Guna do destruction overall, plus it's what I'm doing for the season of war thing at my local gw so it fits I'm quite nicely. So this month I've gone for my general aka a mega boss who will be named eventually and my favourite models black orcs... I mean ard boys. Atm I'm working on flesh eater courts for an event I'm going to this weekend so I won't actually start building them until later this week but I really like the colour scheme that gw went for with yellow armour being the primary colour so that what I'm aiming for but I might change my mind ... It is yellow after all.image.jpeg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everybody, so the new look of the project is now a monthly forum thread rather than a permanent blog ?

If the Tales of Sigmar gets a reboot, so does my project ! For those who didn't follow the early days of my participation, I spent the original part of this Tale of Gamers trying to build and paint a warrior chamber for my Stormcast Eternals : the Wardens of the Realms. You can find a recap of the fluff and the ideas behind this Stormhost on the old website and my TumblR.

All the painted Stormcast were meant to fight in the Realm of Ghur. The following 6 months here will be dedicated to another part of the Warden's story : the arrival of the warrior chamber of Life in Ghyran, and the encounter with its Sylvaneth denizens... The global season of war campaign taking place in the Realm of Life is a perfect excuse to match the current AoS fluff. Yeay, killing two birds in one stone !

My plan is roughly to start with a quite small Stormcast force (those guys are expensive), a.k.a. 2 months of purchases, while the 4 others will probably be spent on awesome Sylvaneth minis - with maybe a sigmar dude here and there.  You can expect to see some Stormcast with swords, and a Sylvaneth force themed around the four seasons.

Enough talk, what are we building this month ?

Army - Stormcast Eternals (Wardens of the Realms)

Month 1 Budget: 85$ (USD)
Month 1 Spend:

• Lord Celestant - 33$
  • Liberators - 50$

Total Spent: 83$

Remaining Budget: 2$

Everything is still in blister and boxes, so pics and fluff incoming once it's done !

Is there any wait to edit its own posts ? I did'nt find it, so now I'm adding another comment while I could have update the first one, sorry for the spam :)

A few hours after posting, I just learned that the Stormcast will get a Start Collecting box in 2 weeks or so, and there will be a Lord Celestant in it... :P Looks like its gonna be my second month of purchases, therefore I need to change my Month 1 selection !

Army - Stormcast Eternals (Wardens of the Realms) v2

Month 1 Budget: 85$ (USD)
Month 1 Spend:

• Knight-Venator - 14$ (from Warhammer Silver Tower expansion, divided the price - 55$ - by number of heroes, rounding up)
  • Liberators - 50$

Total Spent: 64$

Remaining Budget: 21$

It makes quite a difference, and saves me money for future big purchases :)

Holy cow, how are we so far into July already? Loving seeing everyone's progress so far, slightly embarrassed that so far I've only base painted one test mini for my Stormcast/Order force :$ Booked Sunday off as a hobby day, though, so along with scoping out my local FLGS on their AoS day and picking up the GH, I'll hopefully can get some more painting done!

Also,  quick question regarding the split value of the starter box - working in AUD, so what would the Stormcast half work out to? Is it an even split (so $100 per half) or less with the book and other bits and pieces being included? 

Very nice, the blue skin is really cool and goes nicely with the green bits.

I've rage quit (Blood Warriors are too fiddly) and I've started painting Space Marines instead.  Although do we have until the 9th? or is it per calendar month?  Either way I might be back on board by then.

Thanks @Nixon it just that like many hobbyists I get easily distracted about halfway through something.  I've got plenty of time to get back on track though, in fact some people seem to only be getting started now, so thinking of it like this I have a head start. :D

Okay so im not sure y this didn't post properly the first time but here we go

Army - Destruction

Month 1 Spend: £49.75 mega boss £20 and ard boys £29.75

Total Spend:£49.75
Remaining Budget: £0.25

So I've always wanted to an orc and goblin army back in 8th (so long ago now) but never got around to it because of money and they worked best as a horde army, but when ironjawz came out I thought here we go ... little joke there. So with destruction my favourite models have been and probs always will be ard boyz they always looked cool and I would have loved to have a big unit of them so it made sense for my month 1 purchase and who better to lead them than a megaboss, who by himself looks awesome and well kills stuff (thanks damage 2). Looking to future purchases I really like the idea of continuing ironjawz but I really like the idea of adding some moonclan grots, ale guzzler gargants and some ogre stuff aswell but only time will tell.   

On 22. Juli 2016 at 1:38 PM, cb_rex said:

do we have until the 9th? or is it per calendar month?

I'd like to know that too please.

My Skaven are coming along nicely, but due to work I won't be able to photograph them until 6th August.

Army - Chaos

Month 1 Spend: £42.50 Start Collecting! Slaves to Darkness kit

Total Spend:£42.50
Remaining Budget: £7.50

I started off my chaos army with a "Start Collecting! Slaves to Darkness" box from Element games.

I really like these starter kits as they give a good selection of models to start laying a platform for your army.

As I am returning to World of Warcraft Hammer and starting from scratch I also had to buy all the brushes and tools I had once collected.

An eyewatering chunk of my birthday money went on the Citadel paint sets, as well as a variety of brushes and modelling tools.

Summary of month 1:

Yay superglue patches on my fingers!

All these paints have new names (Boltgun metal is now Leadbelcher?)

I have watched every Warhammer tv youtube video that includes Duncan - "just add a little bit of water / now just add some Agrax Earthshade".

After visiting my parents I discovered I have some extra Chaos models I never knew I had (When did I buy a hell cannon!)

26 year old me is far better at painting than 16 year old me.

My wife is grumpy that I have "stolen" the dining table.

2 hours ago, pforson said:

I'd like to know that too please.

My Skaven are coming along nicely, but due to work I won't be able to photograph them until 6th August.

After having a better read of the initial post I realized it is indeed the 9th, so I'm sitting back with my feet up waiting until about the 5th before I burst into a panic and start scrambling to get things done.

On 09/07/2016 at 5:43 PM, TalesOfSigmar said:

Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next month. Deadline for Month 1 is Tuesday 9th August.

Hey all!  Always fun to join in things like this :)

Army: Seraphon

Month 1 Budget: £50

Month 1 Spend: 
Skinks - £20.50
Skink Priest - £9.50
Salamander - £18.50 or 5 Chameleon Skinks - £15

Total Spend £48.50 or £45
Total Rollover £1.50 or £5

I'll update this post when I make a decision!!!

Here's a pic of my army test model:

20160721_204511.jpg

If you are interested I'm doing a more detailed Plog here: Here

Ok, so I'm finally getting around to posting for month 1

Army: Mixed Order (mostly Stormcast)

For my target for the month I'm aiming to do half the starter set models, namely the Lord-Relictor, 3 Retributors and 5 Liberators.

So far I've done a test model for my colour scheme:

IMG_20160727_211241.jpg

And here's my WIP for the retributors and the Lord Relictor:

IMG_20160727_205924.jpg

Archived