The Almost Ultimate Guide to Starting Skirmish Cheaply

While the official GW skirmish warband boxes are decent enough value it can be a bit of an ask to spend quite so much money if you’re trying to get someone into the hobby or considering trying out a new army in the confines of the skirmish ruleset. As such I have come up with methods of starting a warband without spending tonnes of money as long as you have some bits/ generous friends. Unfortunately, I have yet to come up with a method for creating a destruction warband although they have some pretty cheap heroes as it is. Also, I can’t recommend picking up the storm of sigmar box enough. It gives you the starting components for a chaos and order warband and costs less than two of the easy to build boxes while giving you the components both and some retributors and blood reavers.

Order

What you need.

Easy to build liberator box

A power sword/ warblade and a left hand/forearm

Instuctions:

Swap the liberator primes shield over onto his other hand and stick the power sword and left arm on. You now have a knight questor and two liberators

20180305_095833.jpg.3bbc225cee790e644a1ecb02db43e8b2.jpg

I'm opening myself to attacks but who cares it looks cool. FOR SIGMAR!

Total renown: 28

Chaos

What you need

Easy to build blood warrior box

Some chaos warrior bits Including at least one helmet and a shield.

Instructions

Pick One of the blood warriors and stick the chaos warrior bits on swapping out the head and the gorefist for a shield. You know have an exalted deathbringer with blood bite axe and 2 blood warriors

20180304_195247.jpg.51dc9e0e77f4e63061763606bdd06a1b.jpg

Upgrade! FOR KHORNE!

Total renown: 24

Death

Easy to build chaos warrior box and 3 skulls or skeleton warrior heads.

Instructions:

Cut the chaos warrior heads off and stick on the skulls. File back the stars of chaos on the shields. Cut off the shoulder spikes. Be sure the most impressive head goes on the warrior with the sword. You now have a wight king with baleful tomb blade and 2 grave guard (You can also use blood warriors for this but, they are more expensive).

20180221_132102.jpg.133be62dc5f3a62df11ff6f5149c70c1.jpg

I'm totally a wight king! *Chatters Menacingly*

Total Renown: 30

While these are slightly janky and come in above the 25 renown suggested limit for starting a skirmish warband, I'm not sure anyone's going to argue if you're just starting out. Besides they look unique! That counts for something :)

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

This is great. I got into the hobby at a young age and at that time cost was a very big issue. Your post also encourages people to start small which I think is great advice. Awesome post.

Up until recently i was unemployed running on study allowance from the government. My love for making more expensive things out of less expensive things most likely comes from that :)

8 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

For destruction there is a small orc box w 4 orcs; not familiar w the heros but could one be converted? Perhaps w some big skulls or armour plates?

That little box is actually not available in australia (sold out online and no longer has a page on the web store) One could use 40k orks (the small box of which is still available) and some spare choppas to make some boiz and get either a grot shaman or a savage orruk big boss to run as the general.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived