Themed Armies

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bite.

Ive been toying with the idea of making a Deathrattle army using only Necrons as I LOVE the models but currently do not play 40k and im a little sad that the current skellys line wasnt brought up to AoS model standards. Don't get me wrong, the'yre great just definitely showing their "designed for rank and file" posing.  

Using standard warriors as spear skellys

Immortals as unit champs

Lych Guard as Grave Guard and Black Knights

The paint scheme would be wooden with a patina endoskeleton. Ive started a test piece and I must say i do enjoy the end result.

The "theme" would be that an ancient, death worshiping, civilization would craft these "shells" and upon death have their souls transferred to a new body for eternal servitude.

Some other ideas ive been playing with is Using the transcendent C tan as a counts as Nagash and either Canoptek Wraths or Spyders as Morghast. 

I first got the idea the moment I saw these from Bloody Beast a few years back.

http://bloodybeast.com/blog/2014/10/10/necron-lychguards-of-the-pumpkin-dynasty/

This may or may not ever come to fruition....

I’ve been tossing up doing the Starving Alfrostun features in Malign Portents, which was basically a group of BCR are trapped in a dessert with no food, until they eventually devolve into a group of Gorger/Flesh Eater hybrids. When they eventually find civilisation it’s a FEC Kingdom. 

I have the idea of the unreasonably swole cult of the storm only I've only done 5 models for it so far

20180203_150819.jpg.31a6cdf098a1d12e9d2ef56f25683419.jpg

20180210_213931.jpg.6cf773f160c754d19cee763a1f22e070.jpg

I've got some more blood reavers but i need to get another pack of liberators for the extra hammers. I'll also be using freeguild swords and shields.

I have an army I use for casual games that revolves around Bel'akor the Mad leading a disparate group of mutants and freaks. He orders around a Skaven Warlord and a few Skaven heroes who worship him like a god, and is followed by clanrats, marauders, bestigors, dragon and rat ogres, some crazy skaven tech rats (mortars, warpfire cannons and throwers), a razorgor, some forsaken, and a chimera. Its a pretty hilarious list to play.

I'm building a small force of desert-themed black-skinned Wanderers who are basically a cross between Tiste Andii (from Steven Erikson's Malazan books) and Fremen (from Dune). Their exile from the realm of a goddess who turned her back on them is pure Tiste Andii, while the theme of restoring life to the wasteland is pure Fremen. Both fit perfectly with the background of the Wanderers in AoS.

My Sisters of the Thorn ride antelopes, which are just the regular deer models with the antlers replaced with the curved and ridged horns from spare Chaos Space Marine helmets.

Most of the army isn't painted yet, hence no pictures.

22 minutes ago, Shadowspite said:

I'm building a small force of desert-themed black-skinned Wanderers who are basically a cross between Tiste Andii (from Steven Erikson's Malazan books) and Fremen (from Dune). Their exile from the realm of a goddess who turned her back on them is pure Tiste Andii, while the theme of restoring life to the wasteland is pure Fremen. Both fit perfectly with the background of the Wanderers in AoS.

My Sisters of the Thorn ride antelopes, which are just the regular deer models with the antlers replaced with the curved and ridged horns from spare Chaos Space Marine helmets.

Most of the army isn't painted yet, hence no pictures.

Could i see the antelope heads even without paint?

51 minutes ago, flemingmma said:

Could i see the antelope heads even without paint?

Sure.

D0ewqtw.jpg

The horns were actually the easy bit. Removing all the sculpted grass from around their legs and pinning those tiny hooves to the resin bases took about twenty times longer. :P

I'm doing an army around Horticulous Slimux, the Nurglings and Plague Drones work in the Garden of Nurgle, the Plaguebearers are captured and corrupted dryads who are part of the Garden.

The mortal half of the army is based on a Lady of Blights, similar to the story on Malign Portents where they're harvesting corpses to sow onto the trees, effectively seeding a new patch of the Garden

Gives me scope for fun miniatures like this

IMG_20180301_234502.jpg

IMG_20180125_212749.jpg

IMG_20180127_230743.jpg

I put together a fire elf army- basically a mixed order/ pure elf army using any units with a fire based attack, or decal on the models (phoenix guard, phoenixes, sisters of the watch etc) along with bleakswords for battleline all painted in fire colours, with the odd simple conversion here and there, and using the elven runes for conquest, and Khaine’s rune on the banners.

Lore wise they’re from a city state in Aqshy that held out in isolation during the age of chaos, mostly by slipping under the radar hidden in a mountain range. They worship Khaine, and their priests believe he can be resurrected through conquest of the realms, with each enemy force crushed and each settlement brought under their “protection” bringing the dead god a little closer to the mortal realms. 

The DOK lore has shaken that up a little bit, as you might expect, but I think the fire elves probably can figure out that Morathi isn’t really helping their cause... if I can figure out how to convert Phoenix wings on the new flying elves, then maybe any daughters that learn the truth might find new allies in aqshy. 

Pictured is the most converted model (not saying much really) including a Teeny tiny hunting Phoenix! 

C95F11AD-10CC-45B8-8C78-FDDBB4C791EC.jpeg

BC815256-B369-45E3-ABDD-55CD106258C9.jpeg

For me my Death army is eventually going to be the Legion of the Damned from Warcraft. I've chosen the purple / gold colours from WC3 and will convert heros and units to be characters.

E.g. using a wood elf waywatcher to be Banshee queen Sylvanas and proxy her as a Banshee. VLoZD will be Arthas riding syndragosa using the high elf dragon model. Saurfang will be a wight king with black axe and an Orruk head. And finally my Nagash will effectively be Kel thuzad the grand lich :D

and When I have money to burn Morghasts will get converted into Lord Marrowgar.

1 hour ago, Azamar said:

I put together a fire elf army- basically a mixed order/ pure elf army using any units with a fire based attack, or decal on the models (phoenix guard, phoenixes, sisters of the watch etc) along with bleakswords for battleline all painted in fire colours, with the odd simple conversion here and there, and using the elven runes for conquest, and Khaine’s rune on the banners.

Lore wise they’re from a city state in Aqshy that held out in isolation during the age of chaos, mostly by slipping under the radar hidden in a mountain range. They worship Khaine, and their priests believe he can be resurrected through conquest of the realms, with each enemy force crushed and each settlement brought under their “protection” bringing the dead god a little closer to the mortal realms. 

The DOK lore has shaken that up a little bit, as you might expect, but I think the fire elves probably can figure out that Morathi isn’t really helping their cause... if I can figure out how to convert Phoenix wings on the new flying elves, then maybe any daughters that learn the truth might find new allies in aqshy. 

Pictured is the most converted model (not saying much really) including a Teeny tiny hunting Phoenix! 

C95F11AD-10CC-45B8-8C78-FDDBB4C791EC.jpeg

BC815256-B369-45E3-ABDD-55CD106258C9.jpeg

Dark elf scourge wings might work for your phoenix wings

I've just finished (if an army can every be finished!) a very heavily themed Mortal Khorne Army. The premise being that they were Worshipper's of Ulric during the time of Myth, but after being abandonned by Sigmar in the age of Chaos were tricked/coherced into following Khorne, believing him the be an aspect of of Ulric, the Blood Wolf. They are savage barbarians that dwell in the Urlicsberg mountains in Ghur and worship the Wolf God.

The link to the full army plog is in my signature if anyone fancies checking it out, feedback is always appreciated.

5a9d42779af27_FRONTCOVER.jpg.4a844dbc637dda5f68dc773a691b6f15.jpgpage05.jpg.03216b54ca8a7739f0a32a9c16e8b1bf.jpgpage06.jpg.24272f14db2d1955b514335cbe5f9129.jpgpage07.jpg.cb40af184b0948a497a25fdabfb5b5f8.jpgpage08.jpg.ca41012e20b1b6e2987ccd6b151f2a06.jpgpage09.jpg.f3972b957d83b4b2fd3fc00023bcfe20.jpgfullarmy2.jpg.a239e256558b7a20078b185fe15b210c.jpgGROUP2.jpg.810c5994508c314a0fa506d846ec7e3f.jpgIMG_9066.JPG.15cabd2f350d50a1cc143053b38730b8.JPGIMG_9069.JPG.d08bb5b5567e67dcca1c272e04cc7fbd.JPG5a9d42bd166ee_MightyLordOfKhorne.JPG.2dafb8d5eb65a39aedb977e4b43384fd.JPGSlaughterpriest.JPG.e66c6a1fcec46c4913ac75c4c0ee6b56.JPG

15 hours ago, flemingmma said:

Dark elf scourge wings might work for your phoenix wings

That’s a really great idea- I never would have thought of looking amongst the 40k models for feathered wings. I’ll have to see if I can get hold of some.

15 hours ago, Swooper said:

Would love to see more pictures. That model looks amazing.

Will try and get some photos of the rest- it was my first army after a 12 year hiatus for me so the paint jobs on some of the rest are a bit wonky. 

Also Bueno- that’s a crazy level of detail for your army- nice one! 

I guess you could say that the theme of my Stormcast skirmish force is that every member must be bare-headed, with a characterful pose to match the expression on the face.  Their fluff is that they are a warband who have been working together for quite a long time in a backwater section of Ghyran that was spared the worst of the Chaos war.  They have become sort of like a paladin order in more standard roleplaying settings, and they tend to leave their heads bare to show the human kingdom they work alongside that they are people, too to make them more approachable.

It's a helluva search finding suitable Space Marine heads that don't repeat (and one has an Eldar head to make him an Aelf), but rewarding!

900841_sm-.JPG

890807_sm-.JPG

902872_sm-.JPG

890390_sm-.JPG

902875_sm-.JPG

17 minutes ago, Aegisgrimm said:

I guess you could say that the theme of my Stormcast skirmish force is that every member must be bare-headed, with a characterful pose to match the expression on the face.  It's a helluva search finding suitable Space Marine heads that don't repeat (though one has an Eldar head)!

900841_sm-.JPG

890807_sm-.JPG

902872_sm-.JPG

890390_sm-.JPG

That reliquary is really cool, where's it from?

32 minutes ago, Aegisgrimm said:

It's the top of a 40k Grey Knights terminator standard.  I thought the standard one that comes with the model was too over the top (and so huge it would interfere with placing the model in my more in-depth skirmish terrain!)

Yeah the relictors standard is a bit ridonculous

Archived