Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Amradiel I've played only about 10 comeptitve games and had some good results with mixed list (Ionarch Aspect of Sea, Tide caster, Soulscryer, Spell weaver 10 Reavers, 2x30 Thralls, 9 Ishalean Guards, 5 Heartrenders ) I love how it plays. But as my go to tournament army is Daughters of Khaine and Deepkins are being painted I didn't have time to play more with them but I will as soon as army is painted. 

5 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

@Amradiel I've played only about 10 comeptitve games and had some good results with mixed list (Ionarch Aspect of Sea, Tide caster, Soulscryer, Spell weaver 10 Reavers, 2x30 Thralls, 9 Ishalean Guards, 5 Heartrenders ) I love how it plays. But as my go to tournament army is Daughters of Khaine and Deepkins are being painted I didn't have time to play more with them but I will as soon as army is painted. 

Thank you for the update. I am trying to figure out my go to tournament army for aos 2nd edition. Daughters of Khaine, Sylvaneth and Idoneth deepkin all have some cool stuff going on.

9 hours ago, Hoseman said:

Its true, I made some mistakes there. The thing on EG is the bonus at reroll and +1 to save, hit and wound when they are in cover. They are just to stay there and for 80 points (70 when GHB comes out) I see them as a very effective unit. 

Of course eels are our tanky units and they are fast and save 3+ ignoring rend on charges so it's the rol they have to do, but I don't discard using in some games EG.

Yeah you aren’t wrong about the benefits of EG. My post was more towards the idea that they were clearly better than in-faction units. 

I wouldn’t discard the idea of using them, especially if you like them aesthetically. They are certainly good enough that you don’t hurt yourself a significant amount by using them. 

Hello,

Just a quick bit of advice. I have a friend who is playing hobby for the first time in almost two decades, which is awesome!

He is really keen on the deepkin models which is ace and is really looking forward to building an army. I was wondering if you find Deepkin an easy army to pick up and are there any rules that he might find counter intuitive? He's not an idiot (don't tell him I told you that) but he is pretty blue to wargaming so just want to make sure it's not a tough introduction.

42 minutes ago, Chrisdanish said:

Hello,

Just a quick bit of advice. I have a friend who is playing hobby for the first time in almost two decades, which is awesome!

He is really keen on the deepkin models which is ace and is really looking forward to building an army. I was wondering if you find Deepkin an easy army to pick up and are there any rules that he might find counter intuitive? He's not an idiot (don't tell him I told you that) but he is pretty blue to wargaming so just want to make sure it's not a tough introduction.

going into 2.0 i'd say ID are definitly more straight forward??? However you can be punished pretty heavily for bad positioning and list building feel artifcially tough because you don't feel like you have lots of stuff. 

What is everybody's thoughts on a maxed out Ionrach Royal Counsel and an Aspect of the Sea as the backbone of a magic heavy list? That's 3 wizards able to cast 4 spells and unbind at +1 and when one of the Tidecasters will get +5 to Ritual rolls (+6 if near a shipwreck). That pretty much guarantees the enemy won't get cover benefits all game.

The list I am visualizing currently for this is:

Enclave: Ionrach

Volturnos (General)
Tidecaster x2
Soulscryer x2
Royal Counsel

Aspect of the Sea

30x Thralls

6x Morrsarr Guard

3x Ishlaen Guard

Assuming I'm correct about the point changes, that leaves me with 140 points leftover for Endless spells, or beef up the Ishlaen Guard, or add a shark (but I'm leaning towards Endless Spells).

3 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Thank you for the update. I am trying to figure out my go to tournament army for aos 2nd edition. Daughters of Khaine, Sylvaneth and Idoneth deepkin all have some cool stuff going on.

Out of those with new rules taken into consideration Sylvaneth and Daughters are better as far as tournaments go then Idoneth Deepkin. 

6 hours ago, Reezark_SP said:

What is everybody's thoughts on a maxed out Ionrach Royal Counsel and an Aspect of the Sea as the backbone of a magic heavy list? That's 3 wizards able to cast 4 spells and unbind at +1 and when one of the Tidecasters will get +5 to Ritual rolls (+6 if near a shipwreck). That pretty much guarantees the enemy won't get cover benefits all game.

The list I am visualizing currently for this is:

Enclave: Ionrach

Volturnos (General)
Tidecaster x2
Soulscryer x2
Royal Counsel

Aspect of the Sea

30x Thralls

6x Morrsarr Guard

3x Ishlaen Guard

Assuming I'm correct about the point changes, that leaves me with 140 points leftover for Endless spells, or beef up the Ishlaen Guard, or add a shark (but I'm leaning towards Endless Spells).

What is the planned use for the second scryr. Seems like that's better placed towards something else.

49 minutes ago, newsun said:

What is the planned use for the second scryr. Seems like that's better placed towards something else.

The 2nd Scryer helps with successfully completing a Ritual roll. But yeah, its not that big of a deal so I can easily see dropping him in favor of bumping the Ishlaen Guard up to 6 and still have plenty of points leftover for new spells.

10 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Sylvaneth and daughters are very likely to be competitive armies going into AoS2. Deepkin will be decent but they are fully riding on the powerful warscroll/points cost of ishlaen/morsarr eels.

It's a bit up in the air though at the moment with so many changes at once.

I think people are possibly overlooking how strong thralls appear. Their low bravery is Improved by the seadolon and unless there is some rule I'm not seeing it looks like they all can be icon bearers for plus one attack.

Yeah i believe idoneth can be compeditive, but relies on a core of eel spam, with several wizard models to try and reduce magic.

After that core is met there probably is room for a variety thralls/reavers (although they  might mostly be designed to grab and defend objectives), kings/aspects, allies and endless spells.

Eels really are insanely powerful on the charge - successful games for me is ensuring this happens and successful opponents preventing charges or mitigating them. 

After fighting against a sepharon list which starting flinging out summons and doubling down on the need to charge i moved away from futhan. Ebb tide was sooooo useful for breaking from combats where summon models appeared to challenge or tie me up. I could move away to recharge and get my bonus's. 

Allows my king or aspect to escape units attempting to bog me down and recharge, find new targets, or escape by moving out and recharging distant combats. 

Again my 2 x 6 morrsar guard specifically benefit more so might be as relevant for everyone and many games dont last till turn 4.

11 hours ago, newsun said:

This is more an errata and it is still lazy for them to leave it broken.

maybe, but most seem to know to check the FAQ. Either way 1 banner per 10. Also thralls are pretty meh they can't and wont beable to keep up with summoning armies and those same summoning armies can also potentialy out damage a thrall list.  Maaaaybe in morphan you miiiight keep up, but  i don't know the healing isn't as effective as just bring whole units to the table.

15 hours ago, Stormy1486 said:

Yeah i believe idoneth can be compeditive, but relies on a core of eel spam, with several wizard models to try and reduce magic.

After that core is met there probably is room for a variety thralls/reavers (although they  might mostly be designed to grab and defend objectives), kings/aspects, allies and endless spells.

Eels really are insanely powerful on the charge - successful games for me is ensuring this happens and successful opponents preventing charges or mitigating them. 

After fighting against a sepharon list which starting flinging out summons and doubling down on the need to charge i moved away from futhan. Ebb tide was sooooo useful for breaking from combats where summon models appeared to challenge or tie me up. I could move away to recharge and get my bonus's. 

Allows my king or aspect to escape units attempting to bog me down and recharge, find new targets, or escape by moving out and recharging distant combats. 

Again my 2 x 6 morrsar guard specifically benefit more so might be as relevant for everyone and many games dont last till turn 4.

Yeah i'm big on the eels right now. Currently, running 2 units of 9 morrsarr, and 1 unit of 3 ishlaen.   Throw in a aspect of the sea and some tide casters and i just spam out -1 to hit to dramatic degrees . Testing one game with endless spells i'm pretty sold of the balewind vortex and Gimnids.  The gimnids compounding -1 to hit to silly hights and the balewind being a great tool for a tidecaster armed with vortex. 

3 hours ago, Daniel saxcloud said:

Not too sure if it works... But a morp'hann batallion of namarti corps can let the soulrender put up 6 flat namarti each turn? I was wandering if something along 

SoulRender

Lotann

20 thrall

10 thrall

2x10 re aver 

( namarti corps battallion) 

Could work as start...

Yeah that’s not bad as a Corps. I am a fan of the Mor’phann. 

5 minutes ago, newsun said:

I can't find the worth in Lotann other than looks. His abilities seem rather meh on a 5w 6+ character.

Yeah  , I totally agree , he is useless , I have seen anyone have him in a list.

Nice model though.

9 minutes ago, newsun said:

I can't find the worth in Lotann other than looks. His abilities seem rather meh on a 5w 6+ character.

2 minutes ago, Keith said:

Yeah  , I totally agree , he is useless , I have seen anyone have him in a list.

Nice model though.

agree'd id jsut take another render or more thralls

3 minutes ago, Keith said:

Nice model though.

I played with Lotann and 1x20 Thralls last night and in that game the rerolling 1's was a huge help. The Thralls  with Lotann nearby 1 shotted a group of 5 putrid blightkings, Gutrot Spume, and reduced a unit of 40 skeletons to somewhere to the mid teens before being wiped out by Nagash. 

Archived