Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

2 hours ago, Harioch said:

Sadly they will not. They're in the Allies section of DoK and we've never seen alliance outside allegiance until now (but it would be a nice idea).

Right that's twice someone's said that! Do we think that the Deepkin are fishmen and not aelves??

Just for clarity I'm working on them being an Aelf faction as per all the rumours :)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure there won't ever be a full Fishmen army, but at the same time I have a feeling that we'll see an unit of aome sort of fishmen just that they can pull out some jokes out of it. The Fishmen comimg next has been running joke for something like 20 years. That's why there is a Fishmen army for KoW, the people there are the same guys from GW who were pullimg that joke back in the day. :)

I think, aesthetically, they will look just as aelven as the Khinerai or Melusai. I'd expect to see aelven ears, bone structure and so on, but can well imagine gills, webbed hands and maybe even feet. Maybe even patches of scales. Tridents I'm sure will feature, hooks probably. Hoping to see something like sea dragon cloaks so there can at least be a visual link with Corsairs and so on. I fully expect sea creatures (as we know them, but with a fantasy twist) as mounts and behemoths. 

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Right that's twice someone's said that! Do we think that the Deepkin are fishmen and not aelves??

Just for clarity I'm working on them being an Aelf faction as per all the rumours :)

I reckon it’s more mist/rain/water theme than fish theme. Mostly based on the combination of these two bits of lore. 

Also very curious how these were flawed in the eyes of Teclis if ‘future projects proved better’  

71652AE1-C659-4583-AD06-726743466DDC.jpeg.83be6140417485a6b3481befb65b8c2f.jpeg

C5F75D77-B0C4-4FC2-B260-65552B76D3A7.jpeg.5c061d9a652e21a96aa5df99169c5183.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I reckon it’s more mist/rain/water theme than fish theme. Mostly based on the combination of these two bits of lore. 

Also very curious how these were flawed in the eyes of Teclis if ‘future projects proved better’  

71652AE1-C659-4583-AD06-726743466DDC.jpeg.83be6140417485a6b3481befb65b8c2f.jpeg

C5F75D77-B0C4-4FC2-B260-65552B76D3A7.jpeg.5c061d9a652e21a96aa5df99169c5183.jpeg

Thats a conflictive history of the Idoneth. First they were angelic and then they became deepkin.

As mentioned earlier the Naga in Warcraft have also been Nightelves before, but took a fall.

4 hours ago, Jamopower said:

I'm pretty sure there won't ever be a full Fishmen army, but at the same time I have a feeling that we'll see an unit of aome sort of fishmen just that they can pull out some jokes out of it. The Fishmen comimg next has been running joke for something like 20 years. That's why there is a Fishmen army for KoW, the people there are the same guys from GW who were pullimg that joke back in the day. :)

4 hours ago, syph0n said:

I think, aesthetically, they will look just as aelven as the Khinerai or Melusai. I'd expect to see aelven ears, bone structure and so on, but can well imagine gills, webbed hands and maybe even feet. Maybe even patches of scales. Tridents I'm sure will feature, hooks probably. Hoping to see something like sea dragon cloaks so there can at least be a visual link with Corsairs and so on. I fully expect sea creatures (as we know them, but with a fantasy twist) as mounts and behemoths. 

Right!! Exactly what I'm thinking . Working on, I'm not sure what people's confusion is!

If you search Atlantean that's how I imagine them. I'd love to see "cavalry" that's actually horses formed from water, a bit like Poseidon forming the waves. 

What I do worry is they're are heavily water-based, and there isn't much lore to back up why they're even on land. Hopefully they'll get this bit right. That, and they're suitably "dark" to ally with the rest of the factions. 

40 minutes ago, syph0n said:

If you search Atlantean that's how I imagine them. I'd love to see "cavalry" that's actually horses formed from water, a bit like Poseidon forming the waves. 

What I do worry is they're are heavily water-based, and there isn't much lore to back up why they're even on land. Hopefully they'll get this bit right. That, and they're suitably "dark" to ally with the rest of the factions. 

Yeah I think people are wishlisting some very gimmicky stuff! I have faith that there going to be amazing, look at what they've done with DoK

3 hours ago, syph0n said:

Eh, I think they can pull off the reason why and how. Maybe they are lacking the proper food or material and have to go find it, or maybe they seek to expand their boarders and fight against chaos.

Plus, I think they could have something fun like a water portal or misty area they can appear from, almost like a wild-woods. All I hope is they just don't take yet another faction and make it terrain based like sylvaneth. I don't wanna buy  $500 worth of puddles.

Personally I don't think they are going to look too otherworldly or have gills and the like. Even though it says future projects turned out better they are still made by Teclis so most likely they're just going to be standard elves with mainly a unit or two that have gone awry. Since we have it on good Authority that the Mistweaver is a part of their range, and that again they were one of Teclis' projects, magic could have a heavy hand in their society, their settlements could be anywhere surrounded by mists (a'la Stephen King) or illusions, given the Mistweaver's mastery of illusions they could be brought to life in battle in the form of sea monsters etc. This is all just speculation mind you but I don't think it's too far-fetched for the mortal realms :) 

1 hour ago, TheDayman said:

Personally I don't think they are going to look too otherworldly or have gills and the like. Even though it says future projects turned out better they are still made by Teclis so most likely they're just going to be standard elves with mainly a unit or two that have gone awry. Since we have it on good Authority that the Mistweaver is a part of their range, and that again they were one of Teclis' projects, magic could have a heavy hand in their society, their settlements could be anywhere surrounded by mists (a'la Stephen King) or illusions, given the Mistweaver's mastery of illusions they could be brought to life in battle in the form of sea monsters etc. This is all just speculation mind you but I don't think it's too far-fetched for the mortal realms :) 

I think they will look very un-Aelf like precisely because Teclis rejected them.  They will have the souls of Aelves, and therefore be Aelves, but the physical appearance that Teclis forged for them did not turn out as he expected and certainly not to the high standards of Aelven beauty that someone like Teclis ( or most former High Elves )  would desire.  They are his early experiments that he has tried to sweep under the carpet and pretend never happened.  If the Mistweaver is a Deepkin, she too hides her entire face beneath a smooth mask.  Part Aelf/part creature does not mean that the top half has to be the Aelven part.

2 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I think they will look very un-Aelf like precisely because Teclis rejected them.  They will have the souls of Aelves, and therefore be Aelves, but the physical appearance that Teclis forged for them did not turn out as he expected and certainly not to the high standards of Aelven beauty that someone like Teclis ( or most former High Elves )  would desire.  They are his early experiments that he has tried to sweep under the carpet and pretend never happened.  If the Mistweaver is a Deepkin, she too hides her entire face beneath a smooth mask.  Part Aelf/part creature does not mean that the top half has to be the Aelven part.

I don't know mate, just says that they disappeared, and future projects turned out better, not that he outright rejected them. We have no idea yet if he went looking for them for a while or just went 'meh they'll be fine' and moved on. Teclis has always worked in mysterious ways, and was always interested in other races and cultures so I don't think he'd reject them as such

7 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I don't know mate, just says that they disappeared, and future projects turned out better, not that he outright rejected them. We have no idea yet if he went looking for them for a while or just went 'meh they'll be fine' and moved on. Teclis has always worked in mysterious ways, and was always interested in other races and cultures so I don't think he'd reject them as such

Well it's true that it's all just guesswork and speculation at the moment based on very little information.  Maybe what I'm really saying is that this is what I hope they will be.  Only time will tell - I just hope that it's not too much time :) 

Just now, Aelfric said:

Well it's true that it's all just guesswork and speculation at the moment based on very little information.  Maybe what I'm really saying is that this is what I hope they will be.  Only time will tell - I just hope that it's not too much time :) 

You and me both! Hopefully it won't be too long until our next teaser :D 

8 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Eh, I think they can pull off the reason why and how. Maybe they are lacking the proper food or material and have to go find it, or maybe they seek to expand their boarders and fight against chaos.

Plus, I think they could have something fun like a water portal or misty area they can appear from, almost like a wild-woods. All I hope is they just don't take yet another faction and make it terrain based like sylvaneth. I don't wanna buy  $500 worth of puddles.

That's exactly my fear!

10 hours ago, TheDayman said:

This is what I think as well. The sea theme can be done in various ways and the merfolk theme won't most likely be the best one for a totally land based game. I again refer to the KoW Atlanteans,the first word when I first saw them was not "Wow", but "Why?" :P

An army in the same theme as the Mistweaver on the otherhand would most likely be awesome.

15 hours ago, syph0n said:

Seeing the piece of fluff in the first post, I hope they go more for 'water' in the sense of mist, rain, fluid but unforgiving. Like the sea at night when the mist is creeping up on shore. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor fog at night creepy

34 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Seeing the piece of fluff in the first post, I hope they go more for 'water' in the sense of mist, rain, fluid but unforgiving. Like the sea at night when the mist is creeping up on shore. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor fog at night creepy

You can always make that happen with your paintjob and how you do you bases.

Seriously I like that theme that you posted!! The whole "cold misty swap" style could be very impressive.

Guys we have talked about it, but here lies a unbuilt Kharibdyss. She is easily a nominee for the worst monster in the whole AoS universe ruleswise... Deep down I am praying that GW doesnt forget that once glorious sea monster in the deepkin. Altough it is part of the Scourge Privateers.

I wonder how big the deepkin faction might be.

Archived