2K LoN

Dracothjay

Thinking of trying this list. Love mannfred and love how legion of night looks. I haven’t generated any artefacts and spells yet, but I know this is what I want to try!

mannfred - general

VLOZD

VL - flying horror

10 skeletons

10 skeletons

20 skeletons

3 spirit host

6 vargheist

2 morghast harbingers with glaives

so my plan is to use my skellies as a shield to move up with mannfred and my VL. Most likely summon spirit host in trough a graveyard to act as a road block.

my VLoZD, vargheist and harbingers will be set up in ambush ready to strike once the time is right.

thoughts?

Might be better off with Mannfred in ambush, the VLOZD can be given the Shard of Night to help protect from shooting attacks on the way up the board.

The list will really depend upon crushing your opponent with the initial ambush though, the Morghast are likely to make the charge, the Vargheists are less likely. I'd drop them for more ambushing Morghast and more Skeletons.

Mannfred Mortarch Of Night (420)
- General
- Lore of the Dead : Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact : Shroud of Darkness
- Lore of the Vampires : Amaranthine Orb
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Fading Vigour

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
-Ancient Spears
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
-Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Other
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
-Spirit Halberds
6 x Vargheists (320)
Total: 1990 / 2000
Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 136

May not be perfect, but seems like some of the models you own. I agree that ideally, you would probably want 2 sets of Morghast Harbingers (probably halberds).

Ambushing with 2 Harbingers and Mannfred can be scary fast and effective.

Necro stays with the 40 skeletons giving them 6+ and they protect him as well.

Potentially ambush the Vargheists instead of Mannfred because he is much faster, but he's more exposed then.

I think spirit hosts with less than 6 models are more of an annoyance that can't do much.

So I’ve re-jigged the list. Taking in the advice from you all, I do see the merit in more skeletons as I need to hold the middle ground until help arrives:

mannfred - general - soulpike

VLoZD - vial of the pure blood - amethystine pinions (ambush)

necromancer -overwhelming dread or fading vigour 

10 skeletons

10 skeletons

40 skeletons

6 vargheist (ambush)

2 morghast harbingers (ambush)

so, I’d rather not keep mannfred off of the board as I need my ambushers to come on and instantly gain the benefits from vigour of undeath. As you can see, my ambushers are mainly a 3+/3+, so rerolling 1’s to hit and wound is going to maximise my my damage from ambush.

mannfred will take soulpike to help a key unit take damage when they charge. I could however switch it with amaranthine orb, but I find soulpike is a bit more defensive.

VLoZD has been given amethystine pinions invade he doesn’t get the charge off from ambush. That means my following turn I gain an extra 5” to my movement to push him where he needs to be.

necromancer uses overwhelming dread or fading vigour to help give my skeletons the advantage in a fight, either reducing enemy hit rolls or attacks.

i see how bringing vargheist and a VLoZD on in ambush is unlikely to get the charge off, but I’m hoping for that double turn, so if I fail the charge but win priority then I’m even in a greater position. But we all know when you need prio.......

Archived