Removing Paint from Lead Models

chord

Nailpolish remover or break fluid (used = better) work great for metal miniatures. Plastic and Resin get tricky, but metal models can take quite a beating.

You'll want to wear some gloves and work in a well ventilated area regardless. Even fairly harmless stuff like Simple Green can cause irritation if your working with the undiluted form.

I recommend Simple Green as well.  It works, it doesn't stink up your house, and you can pour it down the sink when you are done - I don't think you can do that with brake fluid.

Sure, it takes longer, but I had a jewelry sonic cleaner that I used with undiluted Simple Green concentrated, and that made things go a bit quicker.  But lacking that, soak it, scrub it, wash it off, and repaint.  Fun times!

Personally, Simple Green has never worked for me. I use Super Clean - it's a degreaser that can be purchased at Walmart or Autozone. Just use it full strength and drop your models in - it's safe for plastic as well. I keep mine in glass jars and reuse it. To dispose, you can just leave the lid off and it will evaporate.

BUT, since metal is easy to clean, you can use turpentine, or any traditional paint strippers. The benefit is that they are usually very fast - a few minutes on the soup and a toothbrush will scrub off any remaining residue. The down side, of course, is disposal.

Archived