The Innaugural Monthly Kitbash Competition Thread (participation)

flemingmma

Welcome to the Innaugural monthly Kitbash/Conversion Challenge

If you're looking for the Complete projects thread its over here

I have stolen this idea wholesale from the people over at bolter and chainsword, It has had some success there and I hope that it shall over here.

This months theme is chaos.

Using any plastic GW miniature create a chaos champion/ general on foot (that is any hero model from the chaos grand alliance that is on foot)

The Rules (stolen wholesale from bolterandchainsword)

1-The finished model is not to be painted the conversion should be bare plastic/metal/resin/greenstuff stealing a few small pieces from painted models is okay though

2 It must be identifiable as the unit it represents , preferably with all the weapons and artefacts that would be on its warscroll. Of course if a few things are missing or changed rule of cool applies

3 *redacted by order of the knights excelsior*

4 Green stuff can be used from individual components and gap filling all the way up to a full scultp

5 Each entrant can post multiple entries without limit

6  You must declare participation a minimum of 24 hours before posting your completed model over in the completion thread (a bit of head start is allowed but i don't want models you've been working on for years painstakingly sculpting each individual component posted in the completion thread competing with stuff people have cobbled together this month)

7 1 calendar month build time so anything built between today (22/02/2018) and one month from now (22/03/2018)

8 Have fun

How to enter

In this thread post the following

"I (insert  your user name here), undertake this months challenge to build at least one chaos hero unit"

In this thread feel free to post WIP pictures and trade ideas but once you have decided to declare your model as complete post it over on the completion thread with the following statement

"I (insert user name here) declare this as one of my entrants in the chaos hero challenge"

And a series of 5 photos

1 Front view

20180222_154806.jpg.0a44378b8ec383106c28ba6aeb0d9487.jpg

2 Right view

20180222_154812.jpg.610c3b7c4998f62fa667c753f1d04105.jpg

3 Rear View

20180222_154818.jpg.642141d670aa8facd613e497c4e97cbb.jpg

4 Left View

20180222_154824.jpg.a0829bc694303adf00655c2c8492b76d.jpg

5 Dramatic angle

20180222_154839.jpg.358e7b9dd5c6461a5c13016fd7fbb095.jpg

Once the challenge closes I will run a poll to decide and audience favourite as the grand champ and I'll declare a personal favourite as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a list of the eligible chaos heroes that you can convert stuff into

Arch Warlock

Aspiring Deathbringer (either variant)

Beastlord

Bloodsecrator

Bloodstoker

Chaos Lord (any god)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Curseling

Daemon Prince

Darkoath Chieftan

Darkoath Warqueen

Doombull

Dragon Ogor

Exalted Deathbringer (any variant)

Exalted Hero of Chaos (any variant)

Gaunt Summoner (not on the disc)

Great Bray-Shaman

Great Unclean One

Grey Seer

Herald Of Khorne

Herald of Slaanesh

Keeper Of Secrets

Mighty Lord of Khorne

Lord of Blights

Lord of Plagues

Magister

Ogroid Thaumaturge

Packmaster

Plague Priest

Poxbringer

Rotbringer Sorcerer

Skaven Assassin

Skaven Warlord

Skullgrinder

Slaughterpriest (any weapons)

Verminlord

Warlock Engineer

Herald of tzeentch (on foot)

Lord of slaanesh (also on foot)

Herald of nurgle

39 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

why the restriction in the use of metal/resin? 

I suppose it makes it easier to steal your ideas later given that plastic is easier to work with, also promoting creativity as otherwise whats to stop you just taking a nice looking resin model and not doing much to it?

1 hour ago, flemingmma said:

I suppose it makes it easier to steal your ideas later given that plastic is easier to work with, also promoting creativity as otherwise whats to stop you just taking a nice looking resin model and not doing much to it?

Same goes for plastic models, why not simply swap a head - BOOM CONVERSION?! Instead of limiting the material, why not set a required amount of conversion, say a simple swap of a head or arm isn't enough, but a repositioning trough cutting or a larger recombination is already.
Personally, I think that a limit of used resin or metal is the wrong way to go, as there are wounderful modells composed of equal parts plastic, metal and resin. The extensive use of the later even raises the bar, as it is mor challenging to get a well and toughtout conversion!

Very well, i shall remove the stipulation as to the use of resin and metal, as to simple head swaps, those are unlikely to win overall anyway so we'll allow it especially considering the utility that small swaps like that can bring (a knight questor for example can be made from a liberator prime by simply swapping some arms around.)

8 hours ago, Mayple said:

I, Mayple, first of my name, lord of some place, stabber of knees, undertake this month's challenge to build at least one chaos hero. 

Pretend to be surprised if it is a Skaven :P

A Skaven competition you say? Yes-yes.

Also, any limitation on non-GW bits?

I Kronos, undertake this months challenge to build at least one chaos hero unit. At the moment I'm thinking sorcerer, but it could also be  Beast Shaman, we shall see. 

(I'm also aware I originally voted no, but may be good to try some quicker things and get some urgency in my modelling.) 

30 minutes ago, Kugane said:

A Skaven competition you say? Yes-yes.

Also, any limitation on non-GW bits?

Competition!? Send-tell location! Will give gift-treat! Yes! You are not allergic to poison candy are you?

I'd assume any normal non-GW bits limitation would apply. I.E: 90% or so of the model must be GW stuff, but greenstuff doesn't apply against that, so it could be 90% greenstuff with a GW head, but not 90% Warmachine with a GW/Greenstuff head. I'm sure someone other than me knows more about this. Personally I get all my parts from GW, so it's not exactly a concern. 

1 minute ago, Mayple said:

Competition!? Send-tell location! Will give gift-treat! Yes! You are not allergic to poison candy are you?

I'd assume any normal non-GW bits limitation would apply. I.E: 90% or so of the model must be GW stuff, but greenstuff doesn't apply against that, so it could be 90% greenstuff with a GW head, but not 90% Warmachine with a GW/Greenstuff head. I'm sure someone other than me knows more about this. Personally I get all my parts from GW, so it's not exactly a concern. 

I just love to use some puppetswar katanas for this conversion! :D There is nothing in the GW range quite like it. Looks like I'll be making yet another assassin.

Just now, Kugane said:

I just love to use some puppetswar katanas for this conversion! :D There is nothing in the GW range quite like it. Looks like I'll be making yet another assassin.

That'd be the weapons then, yes? I'm pretty sure that is absolutely within the boundaries of what you'd be "allowed" to bring to an official GW event, which is a good rule of thumb if you intend to play with them regularly. 

I'll probably pop out another Warlord. Gonna try for a more dynamic action pose than my other rats. mid-jump stuff, or something like that :D 

Just now, Mayple said:

That'd be the weapons then, yes? I'm pretty sure that is absolutely within the boundaries of what you'd be "allowed" to bring to an official GW event, which is a good rule of thumb if you intend to play with them regularly. 

I'll probably pop out another Warlord. Gonna try for a more dynamic action pose than my other rats. mid-jump stuff, or something like that :D 

One of my first miniatures (sorry for the horrible painting), but I made a jumping assassin back in the day. The queek model is great for that purpose.

58a460ded07e9_Skaven(4).JPG.5679e143ce34d0c8fb3c3fb4fd46697a.JPG

Archived