Covering The Expanding Costs Of TGA

Ben

Perhaps you could get a sponsorstore?

in Germany there is a large tabletopforum, which is paid by a onlinestore - each registered member gets 2% extra discount, a good incentive to order in that particular store. There is one store banner at the top of the site and one link on side, where you get your discount. 

On the premiummembership:

I don’t like extra forumareas for premium members, i would vote for just a supporter status with a small hint on the usersite, without any great benefits (or with a yearly raffle or sth) - many people will support this, because it is a great online community! No need for big incentives, this divides the community.

On February 22, 2018 at 5:44 PM, Bosmer Nightblade said:

Ask GW to cover the costs tbh. You're already doing the playtesting for them, and this forum generates a lot of hype for them on the rumour thread and just by the amount of community discussion going on on a daily basis.

A few hundred a month to represent literally thousands of their community is a nothing cost for them. A total no brainer.

Ben, have you approached GW? I had EA help with server costs for our most prolific blog hoster (he kickstarted 500), back when we ran Majestic online. You have a huge, positive, and growing community here that gives GW great PR and product exposure. It would be a shame to inhibit newcomers because you might see some that are turned off when money is involved (most people *expect* everything on the net to be free).

• Like 4

On 2/25/2018 at 9:37 PM, MacDuff said:

Ben, have you approached GW? I had EA help with server costs for our most prolific blog hoster (he kickstarted 500), back when we ran Majestic online. You have a huge, positive, and growing community here that gives GW great PR and product exposure. It would be a shame to inhibit newcomers because you might see some that are turned off when money is involved (most people *expect* everything on the net to be free).

At least they could donate some stuff that's up for grabs as an incentive for a subscription model of some kind. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2018 at 11:15 PM, Ben said:

More likes, better reputation system.  better titles/profile system.  Members only ‘off topic’ chat area. Groups and clubs system. Most of the things that regularly get requested.  

I'd pay £2 per month for a dark theme.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi TGA.

Back in feb i gave a shout out for help to this amazing community which ultimately resulted in me being told the many varied and wonderful ways that you would all like to support the site.

The gist of this is that the site is getting very expensive to run (I’ve paid out over £3000 in the last 12 months) and as the community grows the costs are ever increasing.

I previously wrote about this in detail so I won’t go into it all again, but the response was just amazing!

Its taken me another 6+ months to get around to it, but over the next few weeks I will be introducing a 3 ways that will help cover the running costs of TGA.

I’ll talk here about how we will be doing this, and why I have chosen each of them.

1. Advertising.

After thinking about this long and hard, I have decided that I WILL be including display ads on the site.  I was initially very much against doing this as the last thing I want is for the site to look like many other places online where you get bombarded with Ads.

However, if done right I think it can work very well.

I will be finding advertisers that are relevant to our community and working with them to help their business, which in-turn will better the community.  It will also be a way for to support the site without forcing anyone to pay.

The amount of ads will be tiered.  Guests will get lots,  Registered members less.  There will also be an option to ‘turn ads off’ by joining one of the premium membership groups, which leads me nicely onto the next bit…

1. Premium Membership.

Available right away is just a single membership group. I hope to expand this in future to offer higher and lower options for those that would like to give more and receive move value in return, and also for those who would like to support the site but are limited in what they can afford (or are willing) to pay. That is a further cost to get implemented so fo now we have a single membership group.

TGA Members - £5 per month

• Fuzzy Feeling – a warm and comforting glow from knowing that you are actively contributing to TGA’s success
  • Less Adverts - We reduce the adverts to members around TGA
  • Unlimited Likes - Unrestricted amount of likes available per day (MOST REQUESTED FEATURE!)
  • Club Badge – special forum badge to show you’re a proud supporter in your posts/profile

1. Donations

Donations are a simple and fuss free way of contributing.  A one off payment, of any amount you like, however often you like.  

Donate here - https://www.tga.community/clients/donations/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

That's great news regarding your approach to ads. I've seen a fair few comic book sites that run with only other comics in the ads and they look far better for that extra effort in getting more custom ads rather than just relying on google ads (which can throw up all kinds of random stuff)

On 2/25/2018 at 6:37 AM, Johann said:

I don’t like extra forumareas for premium members, i would vote for just a supporter status with a small hint on the usersite, without any great benefits (or with a yearly raffle or sth) - many people will support this, because it is a great online community! No need for big incentives, this divides the community.

My experience of these is that they worked great in the pre-facebook era when many large forums had much bigger populations. Today they are nearly useless and only divide the community if they are used or just offer nothing much for many. Heck one photo site I'm on the only two active threads are two anti-trump based ones (because politics is allowed in the limited access bit of the site) and even they have only a handful of people actually using them. 

In short it doesn't really offer anything for people. 

• Like 1

Why not get some more store items? I would love some more dice options, AoS counters with effects/buffs/debuffs for units, or anything general that can be used by anyone in the hobby. Eventually it could be fleshed out into a whole store possibly with custom bases, bits for minis, paint brushes, green stuff, sculpting tools, etc. 

• Like 1

The other issue is that it takes investment to gain product to then sell; which can in itself be quite the amount of logistical work. Small scale can sometimes be harder to pull it off because you've not got enough trade for bulk purchase discounts; everything is a new challenge and can take longer for it and you might well end up sitting on a lot of stock that doesn't sell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Hey @Ben are the subscriptions reflected in the hosting cost widget on the home page?

No, that just donations.  I 'think' i can make it automatically add, but i need to figure it out.  As it is, i'll intermittently manually update it.  

• Like 1

@Ben Subscribed and donated. Might go on a liking spree!

Happy to contribute to this site, its a really welcoming and friendly community.

I think the subscriber features look great, nice bonuses without creating a radically different experience for those who do and don't subscribe.

I would echo a consideration about whether advertising could be disabled for subscribers, however if advertising is kept as hobby-related as possible then it helps the site and the industry as a whole and I'm all for it.

Edited by Brad Gamma
  • Like 1