1000pts FEC Questions

Mr. White

I'm in the process of building out 1000pts starting with the Start Collecting box set. I'm imagining my army to look like so:

Ghoul King

Zombie Dragon/Terrorgeist

3 Crypt Horrors

10 Ghouls

3 Crypt Flayers

Varghulf

10 Dire Wolves

Tomb Banshee/necromancer

My question is...even reading the FEC Battletome...I'm not clear how the summoning for this army works. Do I need to leave my ghouls off the table in the first round to be summoned later? Do I need a second set of 10 ghouls (so 20 total) so I can summon some, if so would their points count? Do I summon 10 ghouls after my initial 10 were slain in battle? However it's done is it the same for summoning horrors/flayers?

Also, does the Varghulf need to be on a 60mm base? I was thinking about converting one with the flayer bits.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting as I have been wondering the same. Just started playing skirmish and picked up FEC start collecting set which I'm working my way through.

summoning you need to pay the points for the 10 ghouls out of your 1000 to bring on/summon later in the game.

it's Muster that I'm looking into as I can't find anything that states you need to include muster points. As Muster appears to be an ability I am currently working on the fact that these mustered troops do not need to be paid for as they do with summoning. Puts a large target on the head of those with this ability mind. You will need more ghouls/horrors/flayers for Muster.

according to GW site a Varghulf does indeed have a 60mm base.

good luck with your FEC's.

You don't specifically leave anything off the table unless you're using the Ghoul Patrol Battalion. (In which case, read the warscroll, it explains everything.)

For all summoning related abilities, consult page 77 of the GHB2017. It explains how reinforcements and summoning works. The secret to understanding the rules on summoning/reinforcements is to be clear on when a power is distinguishing between a UNIT and a MODEL.

The general rule of thumb is that if an ability or spell brings a new UNIT to the field or returns a previously slain UNIT to the field, the cost for that unit must be paid for out of a pool of reinforcement points that you have allocated out of your roster. You don't have to set out specific units at the start of the battle that you'll summon, you decide what to spend reinforcement points on when you actually deploy them.

However, if a spell or ability returns MODELS to an existing unit, you don't have to pay any extra points, but that ability cannot be used to increase the model-count of a unit beyond the number it was originally deployed with. So courtier abilities to bring models back to units don't eat up reinforcement points, but if you use a Command Ability to deploy a new unit to the field, the cost of that unit must be paid for with points you set aside at the beginning of the battle. (And the ability to do this is costed into the unit's points values, probably overcosted if anything.)

If your reaction to this is that it makes the Abhorrant Ghoul King's (and mounted versions) Command Ability basically useless in matched play and you might as well just make one of the Courtiers the general of your army for expanded battleline and better Dark Wizardry, congratulations! You've caught on to one of the main peeves of FEC players in the current meta.  

On 21.2.2018 at 8:27 PM, Mr. White said:

I'm in the process of building out 1000pts starting with the Start Collecting box set. I'm imagining my army to look like so:

Ghoul King

Zombie Dragon/Terrorgeist

3 Crypt Horrors

10 Ghouls

3 Crypt Flayers

Varghulf

10 Dire Wolves

Tomb Banshee/necromancer

My question is...even reading the FEC Battletome...I'm not clear how the summoning for this army works. Do I need to leave my ghouls off the table in the first round to be summoned later? Do I need a second set of 10 ghouls (so 20 total) so I can summon some, if so would their points count? Do I summon 10 ghouls after my initial 10 were slain in battle? However it's done is it the same for summoning horrors/flayers?

Also, does the Varghulf need to be on a 60mm base? I was thinking about converting one with the flayer bits.

Try to get yourself either a Crypt Ghast Courtier or better a Vhargulf Courtier. They give your Ghouls, and in case of the Vhargulf Courtier your Crypt Horrors the ability to get fallen Models back. This can be extremly frustrating to your enemy, especially if you buff the with mystic shield.

Archived