Is there any point in allied flesh eater courts?

Jgregs

While it may not be “for you” the reason for FEC as Allies is ‘Thematic Army’.

As an example: Count Manfred Allied with the FEC in the Hunt for Nagash novel series.

(I actually considered making a death FEC army after reading/listening to the Audio dramas ... they’re awesome fun ...)

Competetively speaking? Maybe not ... thematically ... yeah ... I could definitely see it ...

I could maybe see the argument for a GKoTG. For 100 more points you are upgrading the TG with 5 more rending attacks, regeneration, and spell casting capability (it even retains and projects Deathless Minions). Its bite special rule is just slightly worse over the new LoN version, but it does have significant advantages.

Was just about to mention ghoul king on terrorgheist myself.  Pricier than the regular, and can't outflank in legion of night, but a bit killier with the king's attacks, and a fair bit tougher between regeneration and its 5++ spell, which it can cast on itself if nothing else.

Pretty much allies under GH2017 are quite rare in terms of use. Most armies just go for as much as possible under the Allegiance. Logically this means that for army wide buffs it's less used... Even for Khorne, where it doesn't really matter if you go mono Khorne for Blood Tithe you still do it because of the Bloodsecrator. I pretty much see this in the Legions of Nagash too.

Basically the point in using allies is there if you want to/like the models a lot.

A Tomb Banshee may be a better choice than crypt flayers because she is cheaper and you roll more dice if you want them for a shooty role.  Ghoul King on Terrorgheist is expensive but great for what you get.  I think Legion of Blood is a good allie because of the army wide -1 to bravery for all enemy units within 6 inch.

Crypt Flayers are kinda interesting. They hit a lot less hard than Vargheists in melee but their normally worthless shooting attack might actually do something if you stack enough debuffs. Legion of Blood could theoretically get like -4 bravery on a target. Some armies could be really vulnerable to that, but for others even -4 isn't enough to make the battle cries do much.  The main problem I see is that getting that many debuffs in play requires you to already have banner units and morghasts near the target along with perhaps Overhwelming Dread. At that point you might not need to be adding more damage onto those targets. Tough to say though, I'd definitely keep my eye on it. 

I wonder about the other way around.  What might you ally in a FEC list from the LoN book?  Since there is nowhere that I know of that states specifically that the FEC can take these legions as allies is it even possible, or are we stuck with the necro and zombies options?  As far as I know it only says in the new book that the new legions can take FEC allies, does that imply that FEC can take legion allies?

1 hour ago, Quarrels said:

I wonder about the other way around.  What might you ally in a FEC list from the LoN book?  Since there is nowhere that I know of that states specifically that the FEC can take these legions as allies is it even possible, or are we stuck with the necro and zombies options?  As far as I know it only says in the new book that the new legions can take FEC allies, does that imply that FEC can take legion allies?

None of the warscrolls lost their keywords. So just like the Soulblight and Nighthaunt allegiances, the FEC use the keywords of the particular warscrolls to determine which units are able to be allied in.

Which means they are restricted to Deadwalkers, Deathmages and Deathlords just like before. So pretty slim pickings, and actually overall puts FEC in a worse spot than prior because Necromancers can't use Danse Macabre on the FEC anymore.

On 2/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, someone2040 said:

Necromancers can't use Danse Macabre on the FEC anymore.

I did not realize this, it also means they cant use ghouls as a shield with undead minions .  It's stupid that they didn't at least give ghouls the summonable keyword, and preferably horrors, and flayers as well

10 minutes ago, Quarrels said:

I did not realize this, it also means they cant use ghouls as a shield with undead minions .  It's stupid that they didn't at least give ghouls the summonable keyword, and preferably horrors, and flayers as well

Yep. Perhaps because they wanted the Danse Macabre to effect only the truly dead things, so they shifted it to Summonable units only.

I'm guessing they didn't want to give Ghouls summonable because they're not truly dead, and it removes synergies with the Legions of Nagash (Gravesites for one, restoration from heroes, etc). FEC have their own form of restoration.

But yeah, it basically kills the Necromancer from being a viable choice. May as well pay 10 extra points for a Ghoul King who is better in every way in a FEC army.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:58 PM, Countmoore said:

There’s nothing that jumps out as an ally in flesheaters for me that can’t be better spent on in faction stuff.  

You would need way more than 400 points to make it work. 

Abhorrant ghoul king on terrorgeist is perfect for beatsticking in lists where a VLoZD isn't great, like in LoS lists.

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2018 at 1:58 PM, Countmoore said:

There’s nothing that jumps out as an ally in flesheaters for me that can’t be better spent on in faction stuff.  

You would need way more than 400 points to make it work. 

A Ghoul King on Terrorgheist for 400 instead of a regular Terrorgheist isn't terrible.

You can get an abhorrent ghoul king on foot, a crypt haunter courtier, and one unit of three crypt horrors for 400 points.  I've had some success putting these guys on the flank in 2,000 point games as they're self sufficient.  They aren't your optimized choice in a tournament setting, but they are fun.  The synergies between the units also make you feel like you are running a mini-FEC force (as opposed to a handful of ghouls that feel disjointed and out of place).

Archived