Rise of Empires 18: Feedback thread.

HobbyHammer

Please use this thread if you attended to event to give feedback on it. We wanna make it bigger and better of course, we had a great time but if there is anything you feel could be changed, we wanna know. Would did you enjoy, what didn't you enjoy, what could be better?

Again, massive thanks for making it awesome guys!

Sean and Kye

Event was great, tables immense, you def gave the RAW guys a run for their money!

Can thoroughly reccomend this to and narative gamer, or to any gamer full stop in fact.  Kye and Sean kept everything running smoothly, letting us get on with our games without too much of a steadying hand.  Some truly bonkers things happened over the weekend.

Good points-

Tables/scenery - loads of room, and teh tables were packed with suitable scenery.

Venue - Easy to get to and very cheap drink, close to the town for food in the evenings.

Players- Every person there had the right ethos for the event, helped teh atosphere so much.

Admin - You boys did a sterling job, everything went well.  We overran on day 1, but no one cared as it was all part of the story being told.

Things to improve

Secret missions - Maybe we needed more build up to this in the chats beforehand, mine came about last minute by accident, and I knwo some really didnt do any at all.

Food, Day 1 was cool, pizza was excellent.  Day 2 was kinda expecting fish not whatever we had, would go sausage next time, (waahayy!).

Top event, the Friday night game was great as well. 

Great job by the NEOs keeping track of the narrative and keeping everyone’s games relevant to those narratives.   The event was really well paced with enough time for the games without any unnecessary waiting around between the games. Really epic scenery and the way the tables were laid out captured the nature of the city superbly.  The choice of Battleplans was great as well he asymmetrical one’s also felt winnable by either side  

I’d have liked a bit more of a round up of how the various factions/Allegiances were doing in between games or a potted highlights of some of the games to help give a better view of the wider narrative.  Only a minor thing though not a major criticism the event was great without it.  

Oh and more chips.  

Brilliant event chaps; I will definitely recommend it.

What I really liked:

Pack was clear.  I liked having the battleplans in it (I'm good at restraint so I didn't look ahead to what games were coming up next).  One ToW is a good idea - keeps it from being too complicated.

Battleplans were also great fun especially the final one.  I'd definitely play them again.

Venue was spacious and the beers cheap.

Lunch was good (I had sausage) and the chippy down the road was excellent.

Having the tables matching the map was brilliant!  It looked great even if there wasn't any room for me to raise new trees!

Organisation was good and you guys kept the story flowing.  It felt like we were being GM'ed in places which was ace.

Attendees were amazing - they took everything in their stride and rolled with whatever happened.   The 5 metre explosion was epic.

Drinks in Wetherspoons was also hilarious. So good to catch up with people (especially my brother @Skyel - I assume I'm the older sibling) and discuss the  evolving storyline whilst watching @KyeBaker out on the pull.

Not sure if this is part of what I liked or what I would change:

I wasn't sure what the pack wanted me to bring so I brought my whole Sylvaneth army.  I used every mini at some point during the event but it was annoying to transport around!

What I would change:

I didn't feel like we did much in the war room.  Kinda felt it was a little superfluous and I didn't feel that I interacted with it at all.  I did like the alliance being offered options on where to fight and someone stepping up to take the challenge but since they were read out one at a time, I didn't know if a later option would be a more thematic choice for me so it wasn't clear when I should step forward.

@HobbyHammer should play the piano more.

It's been mentioned above but the secondary objectives weren't very clear.  I know that some people didn't get one which was a bit sad for them.

I didn't use the money at all and didn't know what it was for.  Also, no one counted mine because it was all in my box!

Trophies for 2nd and 3rd best painted.

More Death players (although I don't think this will be problems now Legions is out!)

I hope that helps!  Looking forward to next year!

Jimbo

I'd like to mirror what everyone else has said so far, it was a great event!

The venue for location and size of the hall were perfect. Plenty of options for dinner, especially the chippy and Panorama, all you can eat Chinese ;)

Having the Asda near by was also great. The bar prices were good too, being used to London prices I sometimes had to do a double take when the bar person told me how much I owed!

All the battleplan's were fun and the terrain helped immerse you in the city of Colarcanium,  having the tables as named part of the map was great. Every game I played was awesome, no one seemed to be in a rush and I could have a chat with my opponent. I didn't have one bad game or come away with a feeling of I could've done better.  

I think like @Ollie Grimwood has mentioned I would've liked a brief rundown of any highlights that happened during each round.

All in all it was a great event, met loads of great people and had some brilliant games. I'm really looking forward to next year!

Archived