What battletomes are next for elves?

CDM

I don't understand how anyone can look at the Mistweaver and think she looks like a High Elf. She's basically a Witch Aelf in a dressing gown with a Dark Eldar helmet. She has blades coming out of her forearms, for crying out loud. Her staff is a Slaanesh rune. She wears thigh-boots and a single spikey kneepad. How many more stereotypical Dark Elf design elements could GW cram onto a single model? :P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Shadowspite said:

I don't understand how anyone can look at the Mistweaver and think she looks like a High Elf. She's basically a Witch Aelf in a dressing gown with a Dark Eldar helmet. She has blades coming out of her forearms, for crying out loud. Her staff is a Slaanesh rune. She wears thigh-boots and a single spikey kneepad. How many more stereotypical Dark Elf design elements could GW cram onto a single model? :P

On top of that, Ulgu is described as a land of mist, and the model in question is called Mistweaver Saih. I'd say that it's a good chance she will be with the Daughters of Khaine.

4 hours ago, Yokai said:

On top of that, Ulgu is described as a land of mist, and the model in question is called Mistweaver Saih. I'd say that it's a good chance she will be with the Daughters of Khaine.

Hold on there's more than one Aelf faction in Ulgu. And have you looked at the Mistweaver's outfit - its completely different from the DoK (she's wearing trousers/leggings and wreathed in fog, wearing a blank full face mask). She's definitely an Ulgu Aelf but either a Malerion Aelf or a Sea Aelf (unless they're one and the same thing which IMHO is likely). But let's try saying this one more time: the Tenebrael Shard and Mistweaver are not Daughters of Khaine models. We've had a full reveal of all the models in the DoK army - they aren't in it.

7 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Nope she doesn't fit just look at her dagger it's not a weapon Tyrion or Teclis would use. Also her description clearly states that she hails from Uglu not Hysh. I could see her being part of Sea Aelves if she isn't with Malerion but she isn't part of twins faction/factions as they are oppposite of Shadow. 

Factions are not confined to one realm . These were also made before they had a clear road map of the lore so things can change, roll with them! 

These were not prototypes for factions or sneak peaks when they were made. They were just made to show new aesthetics for aelves and what directions they could go. More to the point they were deliberately vague as to not tie in with current dark or high elves. 

1 hour ago, zedatkinszed said:

Hold on there's more than one Aelf faction in Ulgu. And have you looked at the Mistweaver's outfit - its completely different from the DoK (she's wearing trousers/leggings and wreathed in fog, wearing a blank full face mask). She's definitely an Ulgu Aelf but either a Malerion Aelf or a Sea Aelf (unless they're one and the same thing which IMHO is likely). But let's try saying this one more time: the Tenebrael Shard and Mistweaver are not Daughters of Khaine models. We've had a full reveal of all the models in the DoK army - they aren't in it.

Exactly there could be a phoenix temple in Ulgu if they so decide! The same as there are humans in all the realms

The realm of Shadows/Ulgu doesnt seem very habitable for humans. I mean there are some even in the death realms, but honestly they play a minor role there.

In general GW might have a plan where each faction is located. I am sure they have a grand vision where to go with AoS. All that rumors and half cooked intel out there could be or wont be true. The DoK battletome will bring us forward in terms of the AoS lore.

9 hours ago, Nutty said:

I haven't looked at a whole lot of High Elf models recently, but the description of this  one made me think of this thread.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Skycutters

Or am I just so out of touch with the range that the Sea Aelves have been a faction I simply never heard of.

Sea aelves existed in older editions of Warhammer Fantasy. At one point the Inhabitants of what we now know as Inner and outer kingdoms of Ulthuan were called sea and high elves. Sea elves were the sailors, merchants and explorers while the high elves mostly stayed in Ulthuan and were more inward focused. 

The Skycutter is now part of the Swifthawks faction. They kinda inherited the maritime theme of the old high elves with the Skycutter and the Spire guard. But they also got Reavers, Chariots and Shadow Warriors. Im not sure in which direction GW will take them but I hope they will get expanded on like the Daughters now. (But maybe thats my bias showing as I have a small force of them :D )

I was totally hoping for a Wanderers battletome, as they are my main army and they are pretty much a complete faction.

However with the General Handbook 2017 allegiance abilities I was kinda happy enough! If they did realise anything Wanderer I would buy it before it hit the shelf! :P

I am totally on board with the Sea Elves though. I hope they are very unique aesthetic and separate from the T/T twins, and even Malerion.

I've heard whispers of Mathlan or Manann?! A sea-god of the old world.

50 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

I was totally hoping for a Wanderers battletome, as they are my main army and they are pretty much a complete faction.

However with the General Handbook 2017 allegiance abilities I was kinda happy enough! If they did realise anything Wanderer I would buy it before it hit the shelf! :P

I am totally on board with the Sea Elves though. I hope they are very unique aesthetic and separate from the T/T twins, and even Malerion.

I've heard whispers of Mathlan or Manann?! A sea-god of the old world.

All the old gods are dead! If they would have a God it would be someone we know or someone new. On the flip side though they could bring him back! Anything can happen at this point, all very exciting!!

12 hours ago, DantePQ said:

lso her description clearly states that she hails from Uglu not Hysh

What her description doesn't state (yet) it's that Teclis in his thirst for knowledge has a small foothold defending a Realmgate to Hsyh. See fluff fixed ;) 

It seems likely that either the Shard, the Saih or both are part of the Deepkin. 

I think the Mistweaver might well be from that faction. They're described as coming from the myths in one bit of fluff, her face is covered up, hinting at how there is something 'wrong' with them. And she is hard to read, which fits the whole Cthulhu depths vibe as well.

Also her outfit to my mind combines typical High elf and dark elf tones, which fits our understanding of their fluff so far.

Looks like they're the last Order faction until GH 2018 too.

Seems from reading what people have posted:

- There were a small number of aelves in the Age of Myth. These retreated to Azyr, and formed the splintered aelf armies seen in the Grand Alliance Order battletome, and included some Daughters of Khaine, specifically, the models from the old range. I infer that these were reborn aelf souls that somehow escaped being consumed by Slaanesh when the old world was destroyed.

- Tyrion, Teclis, Morathi and Malerion imprisoned Slaanesh and forcibly extracted souls from him (not sure if this was a one time thing, or if there is a continuous stream of them escaping him). Each god made their own aelven race(s) - Morathi made Melusai (including Bloodwrack Medusae) and Khainerei, but their mutations were unintentional. Malerion will probably turn out to have made the Shadowkin aelfs mentioned in the Fyreslayers battletome, the Shard probably belongs to these guys. Teclis made the Deepkin, but there was something wrong with them, and they mysteriously vanished, speculation says the Saih is one of them. Teclis and Tyrion most likely made further aelf races.

- Recently, the DoK formerly living in Azyrheim returned to Ulgu and joined up with Morathi's DoK. Seems all the non-mutated DoK come from Azyrheim.

- Many from the other dark aelf factions ofAzyerheim (Scourge Privateers, Darkling Covens, Order Serpentis and the Shadowblades) settled in Anvilgard, but no aelfs from the DoK went to live there.

Hmmmm... 

OK, so that runs a little contrary to some of what I have read. That being that there were no aelves until tyrion etc freed them from the Dark Prince. 

I reason I ask is because if this is not the case and then I doubt the old high elf range will be rolled into a new light elf faction. 

It's contradictory because GW didn't really know what they were doing. Yes, it does say in some places that there were no aelves at all, but we know that's not true, because of the Grand Alliance Order battletome and numerous mentions of the Azyrheim aelves marching to war with other races. I think the original idea was that there were none, but they compromised so that they could give us some scrolls for the old models. So there were aelfs, but only a small number compared to the other races.

Archived