What battletomes are next for elves?

CDM

With this amazing DoK release that had really fleshed out an already awesome line and the rumours of a ctulhu elves (scourge privateers?) release, what other battletomes will we see over the next couple of years?

I honestly can't see them expanding on any of the high elf factions much but could see scope for some infantry and heroes for order serpentis and a couple of units for phoenix temple but I feel like there more likely to do a legions of nagash style tie all together. Maybe oneven for the old dark elves and one for the old high elves and leaving out what they plan to put in a battletome. Also wanderers could probably have one already they've got plenty battlleline, heroes and plastic!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be that scourge privateers are too close to dark elves for there to be two distinct factions? Dark elves have already had DoK split off them as it is. It's difficult, as the dark and high elves were always the two polar opposites in the old warhammer world. mind you, I quite like your idea of the high elves being a tie-together of various factions like Phoenix guard, order draconis, etc. Perhaps dark elves will wind up the same way, as a tie-together of shadowblades, scourge, etc. 

Or maybe that just undoes all the separating GW have done in the first place, in which case: why bother? So confusing!

@CDM good point: death rather needed an overhaul, and the elves don't need addressing with any urgency I suppose. 

The faction thing baffled me as I liked dark elves and suddenly they were all broken up and fragmented. Surely something new will come from it all. Perhaps a unified elven faction that owes a little more to the 40k eldar: neither purely good or evil, but very other-worldly with a lot of arrogance and vanity?

I think it'll be interesting to see whether Legions of Nagash is a once off thing, or whether it's something GW are seriously looking at to support those armies migrated from the old world but aren't interested in developing further.

I've always though it's most likely that they'll develop the more interesting sub-factions into fully fleshed out ones. The ones that are very iconic in their own ways. It's why every force that has been migrated so far tends to have a very stylized look, something that's very easy to say "That's Warhammer".

So the question is, will it happen? and will it happen for the Aelves?

What I think may be the biggest hurdle for Games Workshop to do this though, is the fluff. All these various Aelven sub-factions now have their own separate pieces of fluff. So what brings them back to fighting alongside each other once more? We know the Darkling Covens purchase Dragons from the Order Serpentis (aka fluff reason why Sorceress' fly around on Black Dragons), but otherwise the Covens kinda want to create a legion of braindead aelves that follow the coven, perhaps something that doesn't align with the Serpentis or Shadowblades. Similarly, the High Aelven factions don't really have any links between each other than a shared heritage of being Highborn.

IMO that's the gap that needs to be bridged more than any.

For Death it's very simple, they obviously all serve Nagash. There might be some politicing between the things that have personality in the force, but at the end of the day, when Nagash or his Mortarchs come calling, you better be on board. Similarly, I think it's quite possible we'll see a few shared Destruction tomes (Gutbuster + Maneater + Firebelly and another Greenskinz + Gitmob + Troggoths + Aleguzzler Gargants) as well as Beasts of Chaos (Brayher + Warherd + Thunderscorn + Monsters of Chaos). They all have very common causes and reasons to be fighting alongside each other naturally.

So that would be my concern with the Aelven sub-factions. There's been no reason (yet) as to why they would fight as an entire cohesive army together. 

That being said, I do think perhaps GW have realised with Legions of Nagash that when they split all the sub-factions down they bit off a bit more than they could chew in terms of factions they want to support.  While I would love to see almost all the sub-factions expanded in their own ways, I think the realistic situation is we'll be lucky if 1/3 of them get expanded into full Age of Sigmar armies.

So I very much hope we see more combined battletomes in the future for the armies which aren't in the roadmap. 

Fluff shouldn't be that big a hurdle; they tossed it all out of the window to start over a couple years ago, no reason they can't do it again. 

All they need is a bit of background per Battletome on how "warboss Gurk Squigstabber united the greenskins into a waagh of old" or "elven princes 1, 2, 3, & 4 created a new council and how they are slabout to set out to find their lost kin" and than provide some rules for a fielding a united army for that faction.

I predict the following:

GW will complete the new Pantheon which you can see in the following Picture likely in that order.

image.jpeg.d1fb0a831436d8207ef30b853221e7ec.jpeg

After Alarielle and Morathi might be Tyrion&Teclis leading the highborn aelfs.

Together with the highborn, the wanderers will get a battletome. The generals Handbook 2017 already listed them as allies. This release is also very likely because the "old Darkelves" got the Daughters of Khaine release now.

Last is Malerion with a new big model (he melted together with his trusty dragon Seraphon) and perhaps some new models from the Shadow-Realm. He might be even more impressive than his mother Morathi and cost more points.

In between we might see Shadespire releases and also some maritime related stuff. I wish it is Scourge Privateers, but I dont bet on it.

I was hoping for complete reinventions, like they did for the Dwarves with the Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords, where we would get a completely new Elf faction. I'm still hoping they have plans for something like that, a unique AoS Aelf faction that divorces itself from the Old World elves. Don't get me wrong, I love the new Daughter of Khain models/units, but would have loved them more if they would have given the whole army a new name and all new sculpts, allowing the older stuff to join pretty much like Slaves to Darkness units can bolster any Chaos army. After all Kairic Acolytes/ Bloodreavers are basically Chaos Marauders and Tzangors/ Blood Warriors are pretty much Chaos Warriors, but they got flavorful new models and rules.

See what I'm talking about...? 

6 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

I was hoping for complete reinventions, like they did for the Dwarves with the Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords, where we would get a completely new Elf faction. I'm still hoping they have plans for something like that, a unique AoS Aelf faction that divorces itself from the Old World elves. Don't get me wrong, I love the new Daughter of Khain models/units, but would have loved them more if they would have given the whole army a new name and all new sculpts, allowing the older stuff to join pretty much like Slaves to Darkness units can bolster any Chaos army. After all Kairic Acolytes/ Bloodreavers are basically Chaos Marauders and Tzangors/ Blood Warriors are pretty much Chaos Warriors, but they got flavorful new models and rules.

I disagree!

High elves and wood elves kinda fit together in the AoS setting. But let the Dark elves have their own faction. They are a different breed. Dont mix them with the people they hated in ancient times.

no this is fitting with the fluff and how the armies are playing. Racist is a very bad word for that issue.

Also the design of the models is totally different. The old High elve models have clean shapes while the dark elves are still spikey.

8 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

Fyreslayers were very much a reimagening of slayers and the same for ironjawz coming from black orcs. I like how they've done this is again with DoK, taking a small subfaction or unit and expanding on it. I still feel flesh eater courts was a massive success, what a great idea!!

Agree with the chaos stuff as well. God flavoured marauders and warriors. 

On 21/02/2018 at 11:19 AM, someone2040 said:

I think it'll be interesting to see whether Legions of Nagash is a once off thing, or whether it's something GW are seriously looking at to support those armies migrated from the old world but aren't interested in developing further.

I've always though it's most likely that they'll develop the more interesting sub-factions into fully fleshed out ones. The ones that are very iconic in their own ways. It's why every force that has been migrated so far tends to have a very stylized look, something that's very easy to say "That's Warhammer".

So the question is, will it happen? and will it happen for the Aelves?

What I think may be the biggest hurdle for Games Workshop to do this though, is the fluff. All these various Aelven sub-factions now have their own separate pieces of fluff. So what brings them back to fighting alongside each other once more? We know the Darkling Covens purchase Dragons from the Order Serpentis (aka fluff reason why Sorceress' fly around on Black Dragons), but otherwise the Covens kinda want to create a legion of braindead aelves that follow the coven, perhaps something that doesn't align with the Serpentis or Shadowblades. Similarly, the High Aelven factions don't really have any links between each other than a shared heritage of being Highborn.

IMO that's the gap that needs to be bridged more than any.

For Death it's very simple, they obviously all serve Nagash. There might be some politicing between the things that have personality in the force, but at the end of the day, when Nagash or his Mortarchs come calling, you better be on board. Similarly, I think it's quite possible we'll see a few shared Destruction tomes (Gutbuster + Maneater + Firebelly and another Greenskinz + Gitmob + Troggoths + Aleguzzler Gargants) as well as Beasts of Chaos (Brayher + Warherd + Thunderscorn + Monsters of Chaos). They all have very common causes and reasons to be fighting alongside each other naturally.

So that would be my concern with the Aelven sub-factions. There's been no reason (yet) as to why they would fight as an entire cohesive army together. 

That being said, I do think perhaps GW have realised with Legions of Nagash that when they split all the sub-factions down they bit off a bit more than they could chew in terms of factions they want to support.  While I would love to see almost all the sub-factions expanded in their own ways, I think the realistic situation is we'll be lucky if 1/3 of them get expanded into full Age of Sigmar armies.

So I very much hope we see more combined battletomes in the future for the armies which aren't in the roadmap. 

Not sure how they will handle elves but I have always liked how they split up the factions especially the elves. Hopefully they will keep them separately and just add a few new units  to each.  I think that beasts of chaos one needs to be done as well as a catch all destruction one too in the same vein as LoN.  At the min I think that's a great way to go.

Wishlisting battletomes for the next couple of years :)

Order-sea/cthulu elves;;tyrion/Teclis mistweaver elves;;malerion shadow/shard aelves;;wanderers;;free cities  (dispossessed,free guild,misc elves);;order serpentis;;scourge privateers;;TK constructs;;new human faction

Chaos-brayherd/beasts/monster merger;;hosts of slaanesh full release;; eshin (death runner aesthetic), skyre;; moulder;;verminus;slaves to Darkness everchosen merger,,darkoath tribes

Death-soulblight,,nighthaunt;;one completely new idea like a mortal/ancestral faction featured in some new fluff 

Destruction- moon clan,, spider fang, 2x legions of X (ogre merger minus beast claw and Greenskin/Gitmob merger minus bonespliterz/ironjawz etc)

There you have it bang on 24! That's my road map anyway and I suppose you could drop a couple and add some more comlpletely new factions in their and I think that covers most bof the old lines as well.

My prediciton is that they'll give us two new armies - the Shadowkin mentioned in the Fyreslayer's Battletome with Malerion as the marquee figure, and then a high elf army featuring Tyrion and Teclis that uses light magic in various intersting ways, including making illusions.

Shadowkin will have the Tenebrael Shard aesthetic, the new high elves will be based on the Mistweaver Saih.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! Was unaware of it.

That does make me wonder if one or both of the wonder twins will be linked to an existing faction,however. They seem to be going for order factions with an aesthetic they can push as unique GW products. I'm not sure if any of the existing high elf factions are unique enough to be expanded like they did with DoK?

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

Mistweaver is rumored to be a part of Sea Aelves and you can read on GW site that she is from shadow realm so there is like 0% chance that she is from Twins faction 

I think there is a high chance that she is part of the twinnies faction! Aesthetically it fits although the current lore would need a  tweaking, easily done though!

At first thought I always considered the mistweaver to be a 'high elf' and the tenerbrael shard to be a dark elf . Looking at them again it could go either way, the mist weaver has skulls on and the shard has tentacles under his feet, could he be sea elves??

Nope she doesn't fit just look at her dagger it's not a weapon Tyrion or Teclis would use. Also her description clearly states that she hails from Uglu not Hysh. I could see her being part of Sea Aelves if she isn't with Malerion but she isn't part of twins faction/factions as they are oppposite of Shadow. 

Archived