Thinking of playing again

Thinking of picking up this game again, but am concerned that I read a lot about mortal wounds and the like. These used to be rare at the beginning of aos, but it seems like there's been a lot of power creep whilst I've been gone.

Are we back at herohammer yet? If my army doesn't generate x mortal wounds per turn, should i get my models out of the case?

Or is everything actually fine?

I think it largely depends on who, and how, you're playing.

If you're playing casually with friends (Matched Play, Open Play, or Narrative Play), "overpowered" play will be smoothed out over time as nobody in a playgroup should want to be that guy.

If you're playing actively-competitive Matched Play (e.g., in tournaments), you'll have to tailor your army list to accommodate what you'll face. You'll be likely to see a number of armies that can output lots of Mortal Wounds, and you'll also see a number of armies that are heavily resistant to Mortal Wounds. So you'll need to take a varied approach to be able to handle both ends of all spectra.

Bottom line: if you're playing friends for fun, enjoy the game! If you have a more limited army selection (like myself), you may run into the occasional game where it's going to be a rough loss because you haven't got the right tools -- but I've had such games still be enjoyable against a fun opponent, for what it's worth!

Mortal Wounds are fine. They're really strong against some units (eg. a unit of 5 Saurus Guard) and really weak against others (eg. 40 skeletons with a 6+ ignore and multiple ways to resurrect).

There hasn't been much power creep. If anything, they have reduced the potential power in the game by nerfing Stormcast, Tzeentch, and Tomb Kings and buffing the rest. They took the "good" armies and made them slightly weaker while raising up all the "bad" armies. It's a decently balanced playing field now for armies with a battletome. 

11 minutes ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

Thinking of picking up this game again, but am concerned that I read a lot about mortal wounds and the like. These used to be rare at the beginning of aos, but it seems like there's been a lot of power creep whilst I've been gone.

Are we back at herohammer yet? If my army doesn't generate x mortal wounds per turn, should i get my models out of the case?

Or is everything actually fine?

Herohammer, no 2018 is hordehammer. ?

It's fine, it is as balanced as it has always been. So still not chess. Or I acctualy think that every iteration of points since mocomp has made a little bit more balanced. But still not chess and never will be. (And even chess is not acctualy balanced.)

5 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Herohammer, no 2018 is hordehammer. ?

It's fine, it is as balanced as it has always been. So still not chess. Or I acctualy think that every iteration of points since mocomp has made a little bit more balanced. But still not chess and never will be. (And even chess is not acctualy balanced.)

The first turn advantage in chess is brutal

I would suggest scanning your local area first before deciding.

You may go for pick-up games, campaign and open play hence play whatever you want.

But if your goal is playing a little more... organized pool (aka matched play) I strongly suggest taking a peek at local events. Matched play may be completely different experience if your local events are attended by casual/pick what I like armies or meta-heavy hard players. One is a fun way to spend a weekend rolling dices, second is a chasing "big tournament lists" to get the final edge.

I was in that place, currently gathering dust on my minions because of local metal being Changehost/Seraphons/Fyreslayers/KO Clown Car/Vanguard that none of my armies stand any real chance of winning against. Events hosting 12 players in witch 6 of them play said armies and therefore always winning (and well, fighting for top 3 between themselves) were too much for me (and few other lads) to bare. The best I've could hope for a local tournament was to get two games vs other "casual" players instead of being steamrolled by turn 2.

So before you decide to comeback think how you want to play and see how places that you will most likely attend looks/plays like.

Still love AoS tho, just hate, for most of times, playing it ;P Powercreep is as much present as last time, heck, I'll even say that its (at least at the "top" tier) even worse since a hefty number of games ends de facto on the second turn, during the initiative roll 

There isn't much powercreep between post 2016 GH armies (including Sylvaneth) recent releases are balanced fine(along with updated  Fyreslayers and Seraphon). Using older armies may be an uphill battle, but I doubt GW will like to support them much - there is huge variety of armies that are balanced and can be build into matched play comeptitive play as well. 

Archived