Mixed Grots

Killacarrot

Hey everyone,

Was thinking about a mixed grot list that wouldn't be super competitive but wouldn't get steamrolled by everything either.  Basically trying to make something fun to play with. 

I'm pretty new to AoS and came up with the below list. It's probably awful but let me know what you think :) 

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Battered Talisman

Battleline
20 x Cave Squigs (240)
- Moonclan Battleline
60 x Moonclan Grots (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
- Bows & Slittas

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 193

Was thinking about dropping the cave squigs for 2 x spear chukkas as I'm not sure how effective they'd be without herders. Also thought about dropping 2 fanatics for 2 x rock lobbas for ranged support.

Thank you

I'd say... don't drop the Cave Squigs. They're really fun and can devastate with a little bit of lucky (though a little bit of bad luck can make them useless as well - but still, they're fun). If you want artillery, my advice would be to drop one of the 20x grots. That gives you the option of keeping the extra 3x fanatics and splitting them up, or ditching them too. So, that would clear up 230 points. I definitely don't recommend running those squigs - especially that many - without herder support. 

All in all, if you want artillery, I recommend you keep the squigs, drop one unit of the grots and one unit of the fanatics, as well as a single fanatic from one of the remaining units. Then, add one to two units of herders, and either two bolt throwers or two rock lobbers, depending on where you land with the herders. I haven't crunched the numbers but that should all fit.

Thanks for the reply.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I drop a unit of grots I would be short on battleline as the squigs needs the moonclan allegiance to be battline. I don't think allies can be generals so I wouldn't be able to run the big boss on spider as the general for the buff.

No, you're right, I overlooked that - as it stands now, they're battleline, but yeah once you start mucking about with allies then you would need them there...

In that case... I don't know haha. Definitely keep the big spider around, and Squigs are fun, but... it's just a shame that Destruction doesn't have a cheap burner battleline like Chaos with 60pt Marauders etc. Cheapest we got is 90 points for 10 Orruks I believe.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:00 AM, Furious said:

All in all, if you want artillery, I recommend you keep the squigs, drop one unit of the grots and one unit of the fanatics, as well as a single fanatic from one of the remaining units. Then, add one to two units of herders, and either two bolt throwers or two rock lobbers, depending on where you land with the herders. I haven't crunched the numbers but that should all fit.

You can't drop the single fanatic because the fanatics, like all units are bought in lump sum minimum block parts. You can't split the points costs of 3 fanatics at 100 points to 33.34points dropped to take 2 fanatics at 66.67 points, it doesn't work that way.

The same concept is true of other easier block divisible units - 20 gitmob grots cost 100 points, you can't add 4 grots at 2.5 points each to get a unit of 20 at 110points, the system does not work that way, you buy them in blocks of 20 at 100points per 20 and get a discount on some units, like the gitmob grots at their maximum unit size, as per general handbook 2017 points stats.

Age of Sigmar IS NOT Warhammer Fantasy Battles and no FAQ's or amendments have changed how these points for units are bought.

The same is true of reinforcement points. In the Nurgle Maggotkin book, you can use your plague points to summon one nurgling base or 5 plaguebearers at the minimum 7 plague points built up, but these, as per the rules for udner-strength units still cost the full cost of the unit, so that 1 nurgling base would cost the same as 3 nurgling bases if bought in as a reeinforcement i.e. 100 points total from yoyur reinforcement pool.

So I did some tinkering and I think this list should cover everything I wanted to do. Shame I had to drop the colossal squig though.

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
- General
- Artefact: Rockeye

Battleline
20 x Cave Squigs (240)
- Moonclan Battleline
- Bows & Slittas

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
2 x Grot Squig Herders (20)

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)

Wounds: 205

Slightly worried about the lack of fanatics but can't have everything I suppose. Any suggestions?

@Killacarrot our lists have basically diverged to the same list almost, from different starting points. Great minds think alike, I hope!

Mine is currently being upgraded to this list below, having experimented a lot without the ranged units, concluding that I need ranged units:

• 1 spiderfang general hero
  • 2 arachnaroks
  • 60 grots
  • 20 grots
  • 20 grots
  • 3 fanatics
  • 10 spider riders
  • squig gobba
  • 2 spear chuckas

Its tough dropping the shaman and some spider riders, but you gotta make room somehow. I like having spiders rather than squigs for the spider command ability, then switch to inspiring presence once some spiders die and the grots get into combat. Also gives a load of mortal wounds for crunching through armoured enemies, which in turn means I can use spear chuckas rather than lobbas - killing heroes has been the list's big weak point until now without the artillery (that and generally sucking at damage compared to battletome armies). 

My only query with your list would be why not take the talisman artefact on your general, as he will get sniped faster without it. And a load of duplicate / superfluous spell casting given you only have a few spells available. Other than that I obviously think its a brilliant list :D

Let us know how you get on! Happy to chat about the tactics if you want, would be great to learn from your experiences and my own together given the similarity in list ?

@Sheriff Thanks for your input :) Hope you're right about great minds. 

You're right, I do have a lot of shamans. I think it was more of a "I have 80 points left, chuck a shaman in" type of situation. My first idea for goblins was pure Moonclan and its slowly diverged into spiders. Which isn't a bad thing as the models look amazing and they aren't resin, which is nice. Putting my first Arachnarok together at the moment but trying to attach the spider shrine to the howdah is slowly driving me insane :) 

As far as your list goes, I like the idea of dropping the squigs for spider riders. Just makes sense based on having a spider general. Not too impressed with the Squig Gobba though so I'd probably drop it. I would like to keep the Fungoid Shaman around as essentially a mystic shield bot and use my Arachnarok shamans for the aggressive spells.  Was thinking about something like this;

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
- Artefact: Battered Talisman

Battleline
- Bows & Slittas
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)
- Spiderfang Battleline
5 x Grot Spider Riders (100)
- Spiderfang Battleline

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)

War Machines
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)

Wounds: 185

Just drops the Squig Gobba and adds the Fungoid Shaman and another unit of 5 Spider riders for some mobility and objective taking. I think it works quite well on paper but I'm still quite a ways off actually playing with it in terms on models I own. 

On 2/18/2018 at 2:17 AM, Auretious Taak said:

You can't drop the single fanatic because the fanatics, like all units are bought in lump sum minimum block parts. You can't split the points costs of 3 fanatics at 100 points to 33.34points dropped to take 2 fanatics at 66.67 points, it doesn't work that way.

The same concept is true of other easier block divisible units - 20 gitmob grots cost 100 points, you can't add 4 grots at 2.5 points each to get a unit of 20 at 110points, the system does not work that way, you buy them in blocks of 20 at 100points per 20 and get a discount on some units, like the gitmob grots at their maximum unit size, as per general handbook 2017 points stats.

Age of Sigmar IS NOT Warhammer Fantasy Battles and no FAQ's or amendments have changed how these points for units are bought.

The same is true of reinforcement points. In the Nurgle Maggotkin book, you can use your plague points to summon one nurgling base or 5 plaguebearers at the minimum 7 plague points built up, but these, as per the rules for udner-strength units still cost the full cost of the unit, so that 1 nurgling base would cost the same as 3 nurgling bases if bought in as a reeinforcement i.e. 100 points total from yoyur reinforcement pool.

I remember now. It's been a while, just getting back into the game since GHB2: EB came out. Did the fanatics used to be individually purchasable? 

16 hours ago, Furious said:

Did the fanatics used to be individually purchasable?

In WFB (and 40k) you purchase each model and it's wargear separately.

Sigmar does away with all that and you buy them in blocks with whatever wargear their warscroll says they are allowed.

12 minutes ago, Furious said:

I must be thinking about the pre-GHB1 days then with whatever comp system my group used.

No you were correct, fanatics used to be 30pt each and purchasable in units of 1 to 3 models.  Now they are 100pt for a unit of 3 and units can be 3 or 6 models.  Everyone obviously forgot that little fact when insinuating you were some sort of ex-WHFB AoS newb :D.

18 minutes ago, stato said:

Now they are 100pt for a unit of 3 and units can be 3 or 6 models.  Everyone obviously forgot that little fact when insinuating you were some sort of ex-WHFB AoS newb :D.

Could also be the opposite, we are ex-WHFB AoS noobs who missed out on that early stage of AoS ;) 

1 hour ago, stato said:

No you were correct, fanatics used to be 30pt each and purchasable in units of 1 to 3 models.  Now they are 100pt for a unit of 3 and units can be 3 or 6 models.  Everyone obviously forgot that little fact when insinuating you were some sort of ex-WHFB AoS newb :D.

That's right. I don't need nobody laying their own, post-GHB2017 inferiority trip on me, man.

Archived