Khorne Center Piece Model

Thomas E

I have been hopelessly trying to decide which model I should purchase to be the center piece of my Khorne bloodbound army. My army is 95% mortal which is putting me off the Bloodthirsters as their command abilities will be wasted. That being said, the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthister still looks a solid choice, albeit expensive. The other options I am considering :

Skarbrand: Expensive for points but packs a punch. No wasted abilities that only work for Daemons.  Cool model.

Slaughterbrute of Khorne: Relatively cheap (both points and money). Could have my Bloodsecretor as its 'master', he very rarely falls in combat. Does not fill  the more precious 'Leader' slots. 

Other: Does anyone recommend another allied monster, or have reasons for me to include one of the other Bloodthirsters?

I think I am leaning towards the Slaughterbrute but any opionions welcome. I have all Khorne heros so any synergies suggested should work.

Thanks. 

Warshine, Skarbrand or Skaarac even are all really nice options. Another option is offcourse to convert a Lord on Manticore or something akin to that.

Having said that all, even a solo Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster does something for himself, while that's a kamikaze piece when played that way, it's still very effective.

I'd strongly recomend including at least one Warshrine in your army anyway.

As for a centre piece, why not something a little smaller? Say converting a Mournfang rider into a huge Lord of Khorne riding a vicious daemonic mount

Or what about investing in a Dreadhold for your army?

1 hour ago, mastercrafted said:

How about archaon? I'm sure you could make him look more khorney if you wanted to as well

I think Archaon already looks pretty corny....

But to the question at hand, I like the slughterbrute as a model, rules wise and thematically. I like the idea of of mortal Khorne followers controlling this big chaos monster, where as a daemon like Skarbrand or a bloodthirster,wouldn't be as as apt to take orders from some mortal. So it flips from being a mortal army with this big monster to do their dirty work to a monster with this mortal cannon fodder to do his dirty work.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I could only narrow it down to 2, Skarbrand and Slaughterbrute.. so I’ve bought both of them :D 

If I’m being honest, I’m not a fan of the war shrine model. I like the buffs, it could really work for my army but I want something more as a beatstick. 

I know Skarbrand has some weaknesses but with my 3 Slaughterpriets from GorePilgrims I will be able to improve his save and heal if required. More importantly I love the model and can’t wait to paint. I will also be using bloodtihe points when available to move/charge him in hero phase to make up for slight lack of movement. 

The SlaughterBrute is cheaper so can use in lower points games and works thematically as discussed above. Another sweet model.. going to be a busy next couple of months painting. 

Pro-tip for the Warshrine, don't use the regular model if you don't like it.

My Tzeentch army has a giant, floating stone disc manned by a sorcerer, my Nurgle army has a Corpse cart, pulled by a Beast of Nurgle, held up by Nurglings and overseen by a Tallyman.

For Khorne, I'd have a Brass Throne, carried by 4 bearers on a dias bearing the trophies of the best foes they've slain. Take the Magewraith throne as the base model, use Blood Warriors, Mutant Ogres with ruddy skin or parts of the actual Warshrine to hold up the throne and it's dias

As someone who regularly plays against Khorne I can't see why any army would not include Skarbrand, he's an absolute beast. Combined with a Bloodsecrator, an Incandescent Skarbrand can kickout 16 wounds which can't be saved in any way.

In fact now you mention it don't get Skarbrand, he's an OP piece of **** and I'm sick to **** of seeing him on the table.

10 hours ago, Thomas E said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I could only narrow it down to 2, Skarbrand and Slaughterbrute.. so I’ve bought both of them

Great choice! To make the Slaughterbrute absolutely more Khornate try to add the Skulkreaper banner pole top to the center pole thing that is in this back.

Youll love working on Skarbrand, he's epic!

9 hours ago, Lucio said:

Pro-tip for the Warshrine, don't use the regular model if you don't like it.

My Tzeentch army has a giant, floating stone disc manned by a sorcerer, my Nurgle army has a Corpse cart, pulled by a Beast of Nurgle, held up by Nurglings and overseen by a Tallyman.

For Khorne, I'd have a Brass Throne, carried by 4 bearers on a dias bearing the trophies of the best foes they've slain. Take the Magewraith throne as the base model, use Blood Warriors, Mutant Ogres with ruddy skin or parts of the actual Warshrine to hold up the throne and it's dias

That is something I will definitely look at doing! Thanks for the advice :D

6 hours ago, valenswift said:

As someone who regularly plays against Khorne I can't see why any army would not include Skarbrand, he's an absolute beast. Combined with a Bloodsecrator, an Incandescent Skarbrand can kickout 16 wounds which can't be saved in any way.

In fact now you mention it don't get Skarbrand, he's an OP piece of **** and I'm sick to **** of seeing him on

Heh, well I think most Khorne players are cool players too, but yeah you can create something silly with Skarbrand. Having said that though quite something is required to ensure this, either a Bloodstoker for him alone and/or Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster on top of the Bloodsecrator and maby even a Slaughterpriest to ensure his armour isn't just gone...

Basically he's very strong but with 14 wounds and the speed he comes with he's also a tool that needs more support. In addition Flying units are rare for Khorne, this is why I personally prefer a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster over him. Nice bit cheaper, nice additional Command Trait and while less heavy hitting also a whole lot harder to fend of with bubble wrap units.

If you want to deal with Skarbrand, feed him chaff ;) He's not really OP he's just a slower hard hitting Bloodthirster. As strong as you allow him to be is how well he can preform. He chews trough elites but maby that's not what you want to feed him...

Archived