Vampires with Wings

RuneBrush

Despite not having finished painting up all my 1500 points for the end of the month, I'm thinking of the next mini project for my Death army which is some small kit bash/conversions for characters.  Which has got me thinking about creating some nice unique vampire models.

Now on our warscroll we have the option for vampires with "membranous wings", I'm guessing in our world of WYSIWYG that the general consensus is if want our vampires to fly they need wings (though I think transforming into a flock of bats or mist is just as thematic), so what wings do people normally use - or don't you?

I think both dark elder scourge wings and tyranid gargoyle wings can work. I've seen the former used a lot but the latter seems pretty good on my gargoyle-esque fell bat conversions I'm currently building and would probably work for vampires as they're not as massive as scourge ones can be.

EDIT: If someone reminds me then when I get home I can grab a pic of my scourge wing pirate vampire so you can see size wise.

5 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Despite not having finished painting up all my 1500 points for the end of the month, I'm thinking of the next mini project for my Death army which is some small kit bash/conversions for characters.  Which has got me thinking about creating some nice unique vampire models.

Now on our warscroll we have the option for vampires with "membranous wings", I'm guessing in our world of WYSIWYG that the general consensus is if want our vampires to fly they need wings (though I think transforming into a flock of bats or mist is just as thematic), so what wings do people normally use - or don't you?

Vargheists also come with a set of wings, that are smaller and designed to go on their backs; they make excellent vampire lord wings.

Here is my Vampire lady with wings conversion, although you really cant tell that she has one.

20180127_211317.jpg

I just stuck some (errrr I think chaos harpy) wings to the back of an old vampire-dude. The "snack" is for tying him up with the rest of my army, since it's mostly flesh-eater courts.

FEC52.jpg.31f225efd9d1831c9aa0328fd94737e7.jpg

And then there's my scratch-built ghoul king that I wanted to give a wing arm:

fec6f.jpg.26d6f773a98a31289716161a03ef980c.jpg

No pics since I just started Death, but I got the Battleforce and built Arkhan (I plan to do Legion of Sacrament or Grand Host), then I had a brainstorm upon seeing Neferata and her side saddle stance.  Putting her on a 40mm base by gluing the edge of her cloak to the base makes her look like she is launching into the air or already flying/floating.  So she’s gonna be my winged vampire lord.  I know the model will be REALLY tall and run afoul of true LOS, but if people take shots at my vampire lord, that’s shots not going into Arkhan.

Archived