Stonemonk's Destruction Army WIP

So my first army was Ogors back in 8th. Been waiting to rebase until we saw some movement in he story or releases...however, inspiration has struck. 

This is my new destruction army, from scratch.

Starting with the Beastclaw Faction, My Sandlord on Thundertusk...with a twist. These Ogor hunters have learned to hunt a new type of beast and have beaten them into servitude...or is it the other way around.

Ogornid Beastclaw Genestealers

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is the largest or tied for largest of the tyranid kids, and I was surprised at how close to the Stonehorn the kit was, though the mass/proportions are different. Once the legs are on it may feel bigger and more menacing. 

So far it has been base airbrush, wash with purple wash, and then drybrush to get the tones and feel I'm looking for. I will be looking to glaze the fleshy bits next to blend those drybushes.  I'll keep the drybrushing feel for the armor so it feels more dried and cracked. 

I may rethink the skin of the ogor, initially trying to go for a sunburned look, then decided to make it look like the 'Nids flesh as a tie in to their symbiosis. At some point you always want to add tatoos to ogors, but I may add spotting to both the ogor and 'nid's skin. I definitely want to bring some blue's into the scheme overall. Pretty pumped to start hight lighting beyond the carapace.

Keep following along. Will hopefully be talking about it on the Mortal Realms podcast soon.

thanks mate. 

Carapace: khaki (minitaire), black armor wash (P3) mixed with concrete wash (secret weapon), drybrush rakarth flesh -> flayed one flesh -> terminates stone, edge highlight pallid Wych flesh.

this is my experimentation. Could probably lose the concrete wash  and flayed one drybrush. 

Trying to go with sunburn skin, but may switch to a dark skin tone. Any feedback welcome on that front.

tyranid flesh is weird. Working with purple wash and red & orange glazes. Coming out like a sunset. Like the colors, but I don't feel in control of them. *shrugs*

dont mind the Orruk skin boots and grot skin arm wraps.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to go with darker skin tone - purple undertones and XV-88 high tones...still working out highlights. The bug on his neck stands out more this way.

getting the orange and red glazes to match across the model is hard... 

More work to do.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've been following this on the PMP, and I really like it. Very cool to see the tyrannids being used in the age of Sigmar. I've not seen it done to this extent before. My only critique would be to make some areas on the underbelly/sac thing a bit brighter and glossier. It's all a bit dark in the photos presently. 

I appreciate the critique. I think I have a grasp on what you're looking for and I will make an attempt to use highlights to brighten up the top areas. The pink and orange are such similar tones that they are definitely competing. I'll see if I can't make the sack pop more...wait...i mean...

• 2 weeks later...

So! While waiting to decide what kits I needed to acquire to flesh out this vision, I decided to strip the old army and start converting them for the Ogornids.

So I dunked them all in purple power, scrubbed a bunch of them, and started with 6 ironguts.

These ironguts have custom sculpted and molded gut plates to look like nid carapaces. And all but one has customized arm combos with hands individually positioned and drilled out for holding a great weapon. Each of those great weapons will have a hive tyrant sword at the end - still need to acquire those. I think I've got some really good motion to these guys, breaking hem out of their ranked up March.

352903277107fd154b83ed77ae20ec1d.jpg6e0b8a05d5533aa3ef664befbe37f618.jpgf107be1dc609f1efcfc3f20a8afa80cb.jpg0bd31601ab2bf83fd0c83f14045a3738.jpgb6dfc71f040541b0aa577bbba9f90465.jpgeaeff08b2459c505d49362cbd6c8aa26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One box at a time with shipping and PayPal fee 30% savings to around 20%. At higher spend I did slightly better than 20%. Also faster to my door than my local shop that does 20%. Will depend on your access.

A LGS at 30% is a special thing. I have a Warhammer store with everything, 1 LGS with 15% + gaming space + biggest stock, 1 LGS with 20% low stock, 1 LGS (when i travel) at 15% with lots of stock, and trying to support them all - Ministomp supports the Mengel Minis contest, so wanted to support them as well. In general I go local/where I play first, then spend a bit more where the discount is highest, but still make

The Frostlord's Stone Tervihorn, Mama, has a new set of claws, and mama likely. Been waiting to get the Haruspex (thundertusk) kit for these huge claws. Wish they ever sold as bits.

Also was able to confirm that carnofexes will make fine mournfang...just 3x cost per model :( labor of love.

ee7c3a35973152a7b36d73c9cdf05309.jpg9acd6a4e3a6dad0805492f4a728794ab.jpg5e10de90fa66e5b2bcc83f4a1e7b9fab.jpg

This thread is a rollercoaster for me.

First learn of the idea: Em that can't work! It'll look too 40k-y.

Moving down: You know this just might work...

Last post: I was so wrong, this looks SO AoS-y!

The big claws really cement the desert feel. Like part scorpion.

Archived