Dread Solstice Dilemma - Which Outcome & Why?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, xking said:

The drake is obviously the Order and Destruction one. The reason Sigmar unleashed the Lord-Ordinators and built the Warscryer Citadels is to scry and foretell the future(because Vandus Hammerhand told him the malign portents are  real) . It does not make sense to me for Order to fight for the skull this dilemma.

Nah, I think you've got this all wrong. The whole point of this campaign structure is to break the link between the Grand Alliances and the various possible outcomes - to do something that will affect everyone, but to decide what affects everyone and how. I don't think it's as simple as each of the options being a thinly-veiled stand-in for a particular Grand Alliance. Even if that's somewhat the case in this first week, I doubt it will be the case every time.

Also, you say that Drake is obviously Order because Sigmar. But remember that there are a lot of factions under the vague banner of Order that have very little in common with Sigmar and the Stormcast Eternals. I can easily see Kharadron Overlords exiling prophets of doom because it clashes with their rational, scientific ethos and destabilises their hard-won orderly societies (Skull). I can also see all of the factions descended from the Dark Elves trying to turn the suffering of others to their own advantage (Eye).

14 minutes ago, xking said:

I am talking about this week's dilemma, look at the set up for malign portents  . The skull is represents Order siting around and doing nothing  and does benefits death the most. But we will see next week. If I am right or wrong. 

I agree that to us, with all the knowledge we have, the Skull does look like it will produce the best outcome for Death. But the characters and factions in the setting don't have the information that we have, and they all have different motivations, perceptions and baggage. So as I said, I think there are clear in-universe reasons why (for example) Kharadron Overlords would choose to take the action described under the Skull icon (remember, the Drake/Eye/Skull labels are just labels for our benefit - the characters don't know that exiling prophets has anything to do with a Skull icon and might not even know that all of these crazy events are linked to a plot by Nagash). How you justify your vote depends on whether you're choosing to roleplay your choices or not.

But if you're suggesting that none of the order factions in the setting would ever kill or exile someone for spreading visions of doom and general bad news, I think you're dead wrong. It might result in an outcome that's bad for them, but right now they don't know that.

2 hours ago, xking said:

The drake is obviously the Order and Destruction one. The reason Sigmar unleashed the Lord-Ordinators and built the Warscryer Citadels is to scry and foretell the future(because Vandus Hammerhand told him the malign portents are  real) . It does not make sense to me for Order to fight for the skull this dilemma. The shamanic rites part is Destruction. 

I can think of a very good reason for Order to fight for the Skull (assuming that means Nagash).  In the stories, Nagash is sending his lieutenants out to recruit people to fight him.  He's even asking Mortals and Free Peoples.  One chance to join and then they are destroyed if they say no.   I'm certain that some groups of Free People, Duardin, and others agreed to fight for him.  They might have been coerced and had no choice but they are still fighting for Nagash. 

12 hours ago, Mayple said:

What a great, and completely reasonable idea! You can trust-believe that I will do as you say. Yes-yes! Trust me..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2vPdlmIz5g9bEVXFcxzn

My chittering friend, I believe I detect a note of sarcasm here.  And I can certainly understand your skepticism at the suggestion that you should support Nagash in Dread Solstice.  After all, the Skaven are ancient and tenacious enemies of the Great Necromancer, with a history of foiling his greatest schemes time and again.  One might naturally believe that victory for Nagash would be a very bad thing for the rat-kin, for Nagash is known for a great many things, but forgiveness is not one of them.

But again, I have to argue that Nagash's ascension, at least early on, would greatly serve the Horned Rat's immediate goal of gaining place and prominence within the Chaos Pantheon.  If Nagash becomes a real existential threat, then the ability to oppose him becomes much more important.  The Skaven's history of doing so, and in particular their ability to infiltrate the underworlds of Shyish, will make them significantly more important, and will give the Horned Rat leverage to demand concessions from the other chaos gods. 

1 hour ago, Sception said:

My chittering friend, I believe I detect a note of sarcasm here.  And I can certainly understand my skepticism at the suggestion that you should support Nagash in Dread Solstice.  After all, the Skaven are ancient and tenacious enemies of the Great Necromancer, with a history of foiling his greatest schemes time and again.  One might naturally believe that victory for Nagash would be a very bat thing for the rat-kin, for Nagash is known for a great many things, but forgiveness is not one of them.

But again, I have to argue that Nagash's ascension, at least early on, would greatly serve the Horned Rat's immediate goal of gaining place and prominence within the Chaos Pantheon.  If Nagash becomes a real existential threat, then the ability to oppose him becomes much more important.  The Skaven's history of doing so, and in particular their ability to infiltrate the underworlds of Shyish, will make them significantly more important, and will give the Horned Rat leverage to demand concessions from the other chaos gods. 

Sarcasm? I would never! I, your most trustworthy friend and ally would never resort to petty lie-deceit! Please, accept this gift as a token of our friendship, and as proof that I am most loyal of followers. 

bomb_00.jpg

What a lovely gift!  I will be sure to have my most expendable valuable and trusted minions retrieve it.  In the mean time, please accept this gift of delicious confections in exchange.  You simply must try one and tell me what you think.  I would consider it a grave insult if you did not, as they were hand-made by my dearest mummy.

Rat+poison+bait.jpg

7 hours ago, Sception said:

What a lovely gift!  I will be sure to have my most expendable valuable and trusted minions retrieve it.  In the mean time, please accept this gift of delicious confections in exchange.  You simply must try one and tell me what you think.  I would consider it a grave insult if you did not, as they were hand-made by my dearest mummy.

Rat+poison+bait.jpg

Relatert bilde

4 minutes ago, Sception said:

More on topic, i really don't care what you think the signs mean or gow you justify your army's contribution, as long as you register those points for the skull.

On topic, I'm actually gonna vote the skull :) I have a few justifications in mind that suit me just fine, and I do agree with the logic presented previously in this thread. Nudging Nagash's plan into fruition would be the best outcome, I think.

8 hours ago, Sception said:

More on topic, i really don't care what you think the signs mean or gow you justify your army's contribution, as long as you register those points for the skull.

What else?!

a52.jpg

(meanwhile I was under the impression that Nagash looked for semi complete skeletons, but if you all want to make a skull pile, I love it ;) ) 

My fungoid Shaman is looking for trouble in the Stars. Skulls and blood will be where it may, but the falling star is leading the Ironjwz boyz to the biggast scrap!  Drake! it is.

(I hoped to get a descent progress on my Stormcast but it's too long of a process and I don't want to play with unpainted models too much. So Ironjawz it is. Besides, I don't like the artillery rules for the Lord Ordinator...

Just over 10 hours to go and it's looks like skull's still got a lead, but with eye closing the gap. Can eye catch up? It's all on you folks' in lower timezones.

On 17/02/2018 at 2:47 PM, Redmanphill said:

It’s likely that for this week at least the Drake most closely follows Nagash’s plan... Skull would be most in opposition

Here's hoping you're right. I'm registering my games as the results that look like they come closest to kicking Nagash in the boney nads. B|

6 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

I get the feeling there’s going to be one hell of a civil war (or multiple civil wars) breaking out if Drake wins. Since I’m playing Khorne Daemons this pleases me, so I’ll work to secure that outcome.

It's been a long time since I have done choose your adventure stuff but sometimes I found the first choice is sometimes the most important. I do think picking skull the first time as lead to a "darker" path. If we look at all the choices in week 2 no matter what happens the moon is being fed which I think will be interesting for the narrative. 

11 minutes ago, Redmanphill said:

Well this time it’s a hard choice, I like the fact that one faction was rewarded. I’m thinking Skull or Eye this time, probably Skull.

Yup, someone said on GA death facebook week 2 kinda seems like the other GA's(save death. Since if you read the malign portents book you SHOULD be murdering your seers or anyone who wants to talk about the omens. The knight of shrouds is not interpreting the omens. He is keeping the other GA's from ruining whatever Nagash is doing) are  reacting to what has happened in week 1. I do think picking skull the first week has lead us to the "dark" route. 

Anyway as I said I think it's somewhat interesting this choice is not clear. No matter what the constant in this week is that the moon is being fed and a lot of people are dying which will make the skeleton pope happy. 

Edit:I hate to be that guy but you recall what I was saying on page 2? I was right. Warhammer community post for week 1. Guys I think we are on the dark route! LET'S GO! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/22/dread-solstice-week-1-the-moon-of-dark-secretsgw-homepage-post-1/

The fates have been woven, and your decisions have borne gruesome fruit! Last Thursday saw the Dread Solstice kick off with a bang, and since then, thousands of results have been registered in stores across the world in this crucial opening chapter of the Global Campaign. With week 1’s results now tallied, we can confirm that, rather than heeding the Malign Portents or taking advantage of them, you voted to destroy the naysayers. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this will be good news for Nagash and his legions. Turns out that getting rid of those who are spreading word of the portents isn’t going to make the momentous ripples emanating from Shyish go away…

I do honestly feel nagash getting his way will make things more interesting for the setting BUT if people don't want to go that way it's fine. Still unless you are heavily roleplaying I recommend to give the malign portents supplement a read.

Archived