POLLING the community

Lord marcus

Hi everyone,

If you didn't know, I'm the owner/operator of McDougall Designs, where we focus on bringing affordable basing materials and texture pieces to you.

However, I need YOUR help! I've been looking into the logistics of getting movement trays for round bases set up. These would be textured in any of our currently available textures.

I was thinking of selling them both individually and in a two pack alongside 10 bases of a corresponding texture.

Would these interest you? Would you use them in 40k now that templates are no more? How much would you pay?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I have provided a link below to examples of what these movement trays would be modeled on, as well as examples of currently available texture bases.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qMkXl

Disclaimer:
Most of my current textures are commercially available. I have received agreement that I am allowed to sell products made in part by use of these tools.

Personally I think movement trays is something that I'd rather leave back in WHFB. They really have a big negative impact on the visuals of a mini wargame. Both on their own, and on the effect they have on model placement, as they all become symmetric and "unnatural".

But that said, I don't play tournaments or are pressed for time when we play. So maybe they are more suited for tournament players, I cannot say.

Not to rain on your idea, but you asked if they would interest me, and that's my honest opinion as a "hobby gamer".I play 40k too, and I feel the same, perhaps even more strongly, about using them in 40k.

I think these could be good, primarily the irregularly-shaped 5-base ones. 40k varies more I guess, but most infantry-scale AoS units need to be fielded in multiples of 5.

I'd only consider getting them for 25mm/32mm units with 10+ models. 40mm and above I wouldn't bother, even for e.g. 10 liberators, as the shape of the unit footprint tends to vary a lot for units that big.

Have you seen the 5-in-a-row trays used at tournaments for screening troops sometimes? I could see those being handy too. They kinda look like this: o=o=o=o=o

I think for hordes, movement trays are pretty important to keep the game flowing quickly.  I've played people in the past who insist on moving a unit of 40 one model at a time which is just ridiculous.  Providing you paint the trays up to match your bases I don't think they're visually too jarring - certainly no worse than a battletome and dice tray on the table (or unpainted scenery or random bits of packaging).

I've just picked up a batch of 3d-printed movement trays for 60 skeletons, the 3d-trays have a large hole in the bottom section which means I can glue a 4mm x 2mm magnet into the base of the miniature and then mag the whole unit (movement tray and all) onto a baking sheet, my tests with MDF found that the solid wood prevented this.  This means quick deployment in addition to quick movement (I can deploy 40 skeletons as quickly as a unit of 10 models).  For skeletons I prefer a ranked up version with as little gap between models as possible, which I also think works for any heavy military type unit.  For units that have less organisation (chaos, destruction etc) a more irregular distribution of holes looks more in keeping.

I can't think of a reason I'd use movement trays for 40k, generally you've less models and normally more terrain and movement trays would just hamper being able to move round.  AoS I'll use them for horde armies, but unlikely for armies if units are only 10 or 20 models strong.

22 hours ago, Tommy said:

Have you seen the 5-in-a-row trays used at tournaments for screening troops sometimes? I could see those being handy too. They kinda look like this: o=o=o=o=o

I'm going to be honest and say that I really dislike the row style trays as I've yet to see somebody play with them properly.  A 5 in a row tray is roughly 9" long, which means I've found my opponent "flying" them over terrain or moving scenery round for them to fit into through a 6" wide gap, with the justification "if they weren't on the tray they'd be able to make that move"

The issue I have with trays is attack distance. Without trays there is no question that 3 ranks of gobbos can stab 2'', but with movement trays it goes to over 2'' distance due to the little wooden rim. cba debating this with opponents so just remove the trays when I pile in, which adds rather than removes time. 

Personally I think you need to try to refine the pattern pieces you have there. The edges seem soft and rounded compared to edged and sharp. It'll basically make the drybrush effect less effective, which is essential for basing and I estimate 90-99% of all players use drybrush at some point on there bases, the ones who paints them that is. So get the edges sharp and you should be good to go.

Another point would be to stay away from any historical reference. Most of these games, such as age of sigmar, 40k, confrontation, etc, are set in alternate universes. A picture of a Roman emperor or  a Greek hiroglyphs don't really make much sense and I personally feel like it breaks that wall that separates our reality with the fantasy reality currently explored through the games. And not for the better.

I recognize some of the designs as being Green Stuff Worlds. Are you in association with them?

1 hour ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Personally I think you need to try to refine the pattern pieces you have there. The edges seem soft and rounded compared to edged and sharp. It'll basically make the drybrush effect less effective, which is essential for basing and I estimate 90-99% of all players use drybrush at some point on there bases, the ones who paints them that is. So get the edges sharp and you should be good to go.

Another point would be to stay away from any historical reference. Most of these games, such as age of sigmar, 40k, confrontation, etc, are set in alternate universes. A picture of a Roman emperor or  a Greek hiroglyphs don't really make much sense and I personally feel like it breaks that wall that separates our reality with the fantasy reality currently explored through the games. And not for the better.

I recognize some of the designs as being Green Stuff Worlds. Are you in association with them?

As per the usual disclaimer that apparently did not make it into my OP = "I have agreement from GSW to sell finished pieces of my own making, that use thier tools in the process."

No formal association other than I asked and they said it was fine.

I'm not a fan of movement trays in Age of Sigmar.  I won't belittle to deride anyone who does like to use them, but they just aren't for me in this game.  As others have mentioned, the aesthetics and potential movement shenanigans that would used by some players are discouraging.

That said, I absolutely loved getting my magnetized movement trays for back when I played Warhammer Fantasy, but that game kind of forced you to use them, or at least hightly encouraged it.  But in that game, formation and unit facing made up part of the rules of play and would affect how the game played out.  That just simply isn't the case in Age of Sigmar.

If I ever used movement trays, it would be for transportation purposes, rather than to make moving them on the table a slightly quicker task.  I don't know if I'll ever have a true horde army to play, but I would just play them game with them on their bases, nothing more.  But having a nice little tray to set everyone in to more easily fit them into a case or on the shelf?  That is something I would consider investing in.

5 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

As per the usual disclaimer that apparently did not make it into my OP = "I have agreement from GSW to sell finished pieces of my own making, that use thier tools in the process."

No formal association other than I asked and they said it was fine.

That is pretty neat actually! Cool of them to let you do that.

Would you make molds and cast the bases and movement trays? I'm not questioning your process at all, just trying get a better picture so I can be of better help. :)

3 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

That is pretty neat actually! Cool of them to let you do that.

Would you make molds and cast the bases and movement trays? I'm not questioning your process at all, just trying get a better picture so I can be of better help. :)

Due to deals I have with my materials suppliers, it is more efficient for me to do things the way I'm doing hem.

I have looked into resin casting, but as said it would be less effective leading to increased costs. Besides this, I do most of my work in my home, and my wife is asthmatic. I fear the resin dust

Archived