Horrors split ability

Stevie754

Question

Hi,

With the faq stating that you can't use abilities while not setup on the table.

Does that now mean that Tzeentch horrors can no longer use their split ability without a unit already on the table?

So pinks don't get to split unless there's blue horrors on the board to since the ability is on the blue warscroll not the pinks.

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Stevie754 said:

Hi,

With the faq stating that you can't use abilities while not setup on the table.

Does that now mean that Tzeentch horrors can no longer use their split ability without a unit already on the table?

So pinks don't get to split unless there's blue horrors on the board to since the ability is on the blue warscroll not the pinks.

The FAQ is referring to a specific unit using an ability when it's been set up "not on the battlefield", not whether what's written on a warscroll is "in play". (See also, "can I summon unit X without another unit of the same type on the board?").

The blue horrors don't exist in the game until you summon them, so they haven't been set up elsewhere, so that FAQ clause doesn't apply.

The split ability is a set-up ability, by definition it cannot be used unless the unit is off the board.

But the blue horror ability to split from pinks is just that an ability. It isn't a spell so they aren't being summoned in.

The using an ability while off the table the question in the faq asked about affecting other units. But the answer has expanded on this to stop all abilities for units off the table. Similar to the ripperdactyl nerf that stops them placing a blot toad if they are in the shadowstrike battalion as they are set up in the sky and not brought down until after the toad should have been placed.

The fact that blues aren't in the list and coming from reinforcement points makes using their abilities even more against the RAW.

But it has been ruled in tournaments that rippers can't place their toad, so the answer is expanding beyond the original question asked. Otherwise the ripperdactyl toad would still be allowed as it's not affecting any other units until the rippers hit the table.

By the logic of they can use abilities even from reinforcement points and not in the starting list then for example; if I was to play seraphon not set up a model but instead set aside reinforcement points for it. 

I could use its abilities from the warscroll as it isn't setup yet similar to the blues.

So I can start a game with 200pts aside and use the starseer's 'cosmic herald' ability.

5 hours ago, Stevie754 said:

But it has been ruled in tournaments that rippers can't place their toad, so the answer is expanding beyond the original question asked. Otherwise the ripperdactyl toad would still be allowed as it's not affecting any other units until the rippers hit the table.

By the logic of they can use abilities even from reinforcement points and not in the starting list then for example; if I was to play seraphon not set up a model but instead set aside reinforcement points for it. 

I could use its abilities from the warscroll as it isn't setup yet similar to the blues.

So I can start a game with 200pts aside and use the starseer's 'cosmic herald' ability.

Without getting too sidelined;

1) The ripper toad ability isn't a set-up ability

2) I'm not too knowledgeable about Seraphon abilities, but... If the rippers are set up "off the table" then the toad isn't allowed as it's covered by the FAQ specifically. If you're talking about summoning ripperdactyls, until the moment you actually summon them they don't exist in the game at all, so they can't use abilities as that specific unit of rippers doesn't exist within that game.

The splitting ability of horrors describes how they are set up. This is no different to a unit that has an ability on the warscroll that allows it to come on from a board edge instead of being set-up normally. By definition if you are interpreting the FAQ as you seem to be then *any* warscroll specific rules related to deployment are void as they will *never* be able to be used.

The FAQ effectively states that even if a unit isn't on the board that its warscroll still exists within the 'game model' as you are allowed to summon a new unit using a spell off of their warscroll even if no examples of that unit are in play.

Archived