Affliction Cyst-am I missing something?

Vextol

So the title.says it all. 

The affliction cyst:  nurgle battalion-lord of afflictions, bunch of fat guys on bugs,  setup 9 inches away from enemies, everyone gets the big move from lord of afflictions command ability

Why, erm, would anyone use this?  No offense, but lord of afflictions is kind of terrible.  He hurts himself and everyone around him (nurgle more often than not unless you send him in alone) and his attacks are kind of poopy.

In an affliction cyst, you get nothing from his command ability because you are already crazy close to wherever you want to be AND you actually end up having to make a 9 inch charge instead of an expected 7.5 inch charge if you just stuck them up front.  Granted, you can pick more readily with the 9, but still.

So...am I missing something?  I played an affliction cyst last night and it pretty much went like I expected.  Missed almost every charge, front line got slaughtered, (the bugs) couldn't get to the important points first turn, lord of afflictions got shot  dead right away and.... that was that!  Still fun, but, is that all this particular guy/battalion is for?  Just narrative or open play fun?  

Tbh I like it and it’s been effective in the 2 games I’ve used it (only 1 of which did I use the deepstrike rule and wasn’t done aggressively but instead for area control) but it’s way too expensive.  I could only use it in a 2500 and a 3000 point game. 

In my opinion the lord of Afflictions is really good with the right artefact/trait. Also the incubatch doesn’t hurt friendly units far more than it does.

I wouldn't put all units into reserve.

After 'Spearhead of Contagion' gives you 16" of Movement for your Pusgoyle Blightlords and the Cyst makes this available for multiple units.

I see potential for a alpha strike this way (but don't know if the Pusgoyle Blightlords are strong enough for this).

4 hours ago, Vextol said:

So the title.says it all. 

The affliction cyst:  nurgle battalion-lord of afflictions, bunch of fat guys on bugs,  setup 9 inches away from enemies, everyone gets the big move from lord of afflictions command ability

Why, erm, would anyone use this?  No offense, but lord of afflictions is kind of terrible.  He hurts himself and everyone around him (nurgle more often than not unless you send him in alone) and his attacks are kind of poopy.

In an affliction cyst, you get nothing from his command ability because you are already crazy close to wherever you want to be AND you actually end up having to make a 9 inch charge instead of an expected 7.5 inch charge if you just stuck them up front.  Granted, you can pick more readily with the 9, but still.

So...am I missing something?  I played an affliction cyst last night and it pretty much went like I expected.  Missed almost every charge, front line got slaughtered, (the bugs) couldn't get to the important points first turn, lord of afflictions got shot  dead right away and.... that was that!  Still fun, but, is that all this particular guy/battalion is for?  Just narrative or open play fun?  

I agree that the abilities seem redundant. I do suppose it gives you options to drop in some and speed rush some.. but I would have liked to see another ability worth the 220 point price tag. Or even the ability to take drones as battleline! But it is in line with the rest of the battlions in the book... that is head scratchingly odd abilities. With the ONE exception of blight cyst.. every other battalion seems like it was written by someone who never played a game of AoS with a nurgle army. Like they ran up to the line of being useful/usable than took three steps back. So its not bad... but its not good. which is frustrating. I also find it frustrating that blight cyst is the only good one. Blight GUARD is still decent.. but not as good as plaguetouched warband. I hope they re-work how battalions function fundamentally that will help. 

15 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I agree that the abilities seem redundant. I do suppose it gives you options to drop in some and speed rush some.. but I would have liked to see another ability worth the 220 point price tag. Or even the ability to take drones as battleline! But it is in line with the rest of the battlions in the book... that is head scratchingly odd abilities. With the ONE exception of blight cyst.. every other battalion seems like it was written by someone who never played a game of AoS with a nurgle army. Like they ran up to the line of being useful/usable than took three steps back. So its not bad... but its not good. which is frustrating. I also find it frustrating that blight cyst is the only good one. Blight GUARD is still decent.. but not as good as plaguetouched warband. I hope they re-work how battalions function fundamentally that will help. 

Blight guard is out of the game unfortunately.

Sorcerer is not equal to rotbringer sorcerer and so you cannot fulfill the requirements for it.

I agree that the only worth taking are blight cyst and plaguetouched.

I have mixed feeling about the lord himself right now, i feel him like a locd. Is good but i could have more. 

I think i will try it some other times then if i continue to be unsatisfied by him i'll drop him. 

Btw pusgoyles are not even at the right strenght to throw themselves into the enemy army without no support. And the funniest thing is that the deepstryke counters the command ability xD

9 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Sorcerer is not equal to rotbringer sorcerer and so you cannot fulfill the requirements for it.

I have mixed feeling about the lord himself right now, i feel him like a locd. Is good but i could have more. 

I think i will try it some other times then if i continue to be unsatisfied by him i'll drop him. 

Btw pusgoyles are not even at the right strenght to throw themselves into the enemy army without no support. And the funniest thing is that the deepstryke counters the command ability xD

blight guard is 200 points, friend. very much in the game. 

21 minutes ago, Killax said:

So a specific Battalion doesn't do anything for Matched Play?

Is this news?

Harsh... And not helpful O.o  I didn't say it was for Matched Play. 

10 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

I agree!  I frequently make armies without really thinking about them heh.  I just launched them into a unit of protectors. It was funny. Like watching a fly get swatted xD

34 minutes ago, Vextol said:

Harsh... And not helpful O.o  I didn't say it was for Matched Play. 

I agree!  I frequently make armies without really thinking about them heh.  I just launched them into a unit of protectors. It was funny. Like watching a fly get swatted xD

I apologize for it! Because other than Matched Play I think there can be scenario's found for narrative play where it can be really helpful, especially if you want to represent a sudden invasion of Nurgle Rotbringers, likely even Gutrot showing up from a flank or rear.

To be honest with you, this is really where Open play and Narrative play give you full open options. It's then up to you how you choose to implement it, focus on the narrative behind the Battalion or not use it. As locally we play Narrative play with points and some additional restrictions also it's just the 220 points that make it very hard to include for smaller games (which we prefer for narrative play, locally). 

However, the previous harsh statement still stands as one smaller issue I have with the current setting. Most Battalions simply arn't interesting the moment you wish to use them for Matched play. In addition it's extra sour because Maggotkin of Nurgle only has a few Battalions to begin with. However even for Narrative and Open play I find several Battalions quite hard to justify as they do increase the power in certain cases of the army by quite a lot! So this can still lead to a cool game but only if your opponent has something equal too.

7 minutes ago, Killax said:

I apologize for it! Because other than Matched Play I think there can be scenario's found for narrative play where it can be really helpful, especially if you want to represent a sudden invasion of Nurgle Rotbringers, likely even Gutrot showing up from a flank or rear.

To be honest with you, this is really where Open play and Narrative play give you full open options. It's then up to you how you choose to implement it, focus on the narrative behind the Battalion or not use it. As locally we play Narrative play with points and some additional restrictions also it's just the 220 points that make it very hard to include for smaller games (which we prefer for narrative play, locally). 

However, the previous harsh statement still stands as one smaller issue I have with the current setting. Most Battalions simply arn't interesting the moment you wish to use them for Matched play. In addition it's extra sour because Maggotkin of Nurgle only has a few Battalions to begin with. However even for Narrative and Open play I find several Battalions quite hard to justify as they do increase the power in certain cases of the army by quite a lot! So this can still lead to a cool game but only if your opponent has something equal too.

Full disclosure...I was talking about matched play.  I was just busting your stones.  I'm not an open/narrative player.  I appreciate it, I just can't get into it.

But even outside matched play, the battalion is confusing.  You are effectively giving an ability to move extra fast to a unit whose command ability allows a bunch of them to move extra fast as long as they don't use the battalions ability to move extra fast....O.o

Then once they get there, they all have a big pillow fight against guys with swords...

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

It most definately is. 

But is also most definately impossible to use due to the rotbringer sorcerer being changed to sorcerer. 

2 hours ago, shadowgra said:

In the blightguard you still require a rotbringer sorcerer, and that unit no longer exists since it was renamed "sorcerer"

Still listed as rotbringer sorcerer in the app for me.. 

35 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Still listed as rotbringer sorcerer in the app for me.. 

App is useless....

Forever telling people this.

It's so wrong in so many places it's basically a con charging people for it .

The book is the latest one,  an that's changed it 

3 hours ago, Arkiham said:

App is useless....

Forever telling people this.

It's so wrong in so many places it's basically a con charging people for it .

The book is the latest one,  an that's changed it 

Your completely (100%) right, but don't stress it man. Just for the sake of your own vibe, don't stress it ;) 

In many games it's newer players who arn't aware of such and so, or change A, B and C. All we can really do is repeat it and try to help out where possible.

One of the reasons to which why I hope for a second edition in 2020 is also because of this. A ton of stuff could be updated and we could work with a clean sheet that makes things easy to find and contain it into one place again :D 

Pretty sure anyone arguing that a "Sorcerer" with the keyword Rotbringer on it isn't a Rotbringer Sorcerer is heading for a sharp slap on the upside of the head. Worst kind of pedantry and poor gamesmanship, particularly when the Batallion has an updated point's cost

22 minutes ago, Lucio said:

Pretty sure anyone arguing that a "Sorcerer" with the keyword Rotbringer on it isn't a Rotbringer Sorcerer is heading for a sharp slap on the upside of the head. Worst kind of pedantry and poor gamesmanship, particularly when the Batallion has an updated point's cost

It absolutely isn't in the maggotkin book. 

If it has been true for the ogor battalion last year is true also in this case. It's not about being pedantry, it's about being fair. They could put the blightguard in the book, why they didn't? Why did they rename the sorcerer? The only actual reason was to make the blightguard no longer playable. And with the updated BK points and lop abilities and sorcerer spells i am completely fine with it being gone as i could see it causing some issues for some armies.

42 minutes ago, Lucio said:

or, you know. read the FAQ? its like the rules

Archived