Spiteclaw's command ability

Mayple

Question

How do you read this?

''You can use this command ability in the combat phase before fighting with a VERMINUS unit within 13'' of Skritch Spiteclaw. Add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of that unit's melee weapons that phase''

Do we..

A) use it every time a verminus unit fights within 13'' in the combat phase?

Or

B) use it once, one time a verminus unit fights within 13''?

9 answers to this question

I would assume it can only be activated once per combat phase, though the rule as written doesn’t even seem to imply such a restriction. 

When in doubt, clarify it with your opponent pregame (or with the TO prior to the event if playing in a tournament). 

EDIT: The base rules, when discussing command abilities, state the following: "In your hero phase, your general can use one command ability." I would read this to indicate that any command ability can only be used once per turn, and only on your turn (as this particular command ability doesn't state that it can be used in any combat phase).

18 hours ago, rokapoke said:

I would assume it can only be activated once per combat phase, though the rule as written doesn’t even seem to imply such a restriction. 

When in doubt, clarify it with your opponent pregame (or with the TO prior to the event if playing in a tournament). 

EDIT: The base rules, when discussing command abilities, state the following: "In your hero phase, your general can use one command ability." I would read this to indicate that any command ability can only be used once per turn, and only on your turn (as this particular command ability doesn't state that it can be used in any combat phase).

Good point. This is a command ability that is used -outside- of the hero phase however, so I'm curious about how that interacts.

Do we have any other non-hero phase command abilities? To compare with, I mean.

Can he use inspiring presence in addition to his combat phase ability?

2 hours ago, Lucio said:

In the abscence of a clearly written rule, I'd strongly suggest going with common sense and that it's a once per turn ability

Sure, that's the plan. But in a quest to find out how it actually works, we're not really getting anywhere by assuming one or the other ;) insight and comparisons are the most important here.

Edit: an official clarification would likewise be valuable

I have been rolling this over and over in my head since I read it.  The concensus at my local GW from gamers and staff alike is that it can be used in any combat phase.  Now, there are two other questions that arise because of the unprecedented "in the combat phase" statement.  One has been asked here already.

1.  Can Inspiring Presence be used in the Hero phase and then this in the combat phase as the rules state "one command ability in the Hero phase" and this is a separate phase?

2.  Does Spiteclaw need to be your general to use it?  A general can use a command ability in the Hero phase.  Since its not the Hero phase, can he use it and not be the general?  In my thinking, I am leaning toward this as it would explain why it is limited by not persisting until your next turn.

10 hours ago, Greymalkyn said:

I have been rolling this over and over in my head since I read it.  The concensus at my local GW from gamers and staff alike is that it can be used in any combat phase.  Now, there are two other questions that arise because of the unprecedented "in the combat phase" statement.  One has been asked here already.

1.  Can Inspiring Presence be used in the Hero phase and then this in the combat phase as the rules state "one command ability in the Hero phase" and this is a separate phase?

2.  Does Spiteclaw need to be your general to use it?  A general can use a command ability in the Hero phase.  Since its not the Hero phase, can he use it and not be the general?  In my thinking, I am leaning toward this as it would explain why it is limited by not persisting until your next turn.

I am also on the 'can be used in any combat phase' side of the fence. Simply because -the- combat phase isn't dictated by whether that's yours, or the opponent's. So if nothing else, spiteclaw can allow us to be flexible if the opponent hits a nearby unit you wouldn't otherwise have buffed. 

Of course, that begs the question: if you use inspiring presence in your hero phase, can you still use his command ability in the opponent's combat phase? Assuming inspiring presence stops you from using it in your own.

I would expect that he'd need to be the general to use it at all, since that is the only consistent part of this ability that would make sense to me. The problem being that there's always the chance that it doesn't follow those limitations at all.

The command ability is such a RAW mess that the RAI becomes very difficult to decipher :(

Hi all,

The rewording of the standard Skaven Warlord's command ability on Spiteclaw's warscroll is truly bizarre. I hadn't seen it mentioned here and just wanted to drop in to say that the Fjul-Grimnir (the Fyreslayer warband's leader)'s command ability has been reworded from the standard Runefather on foot's in exactly the same way, telling you to use it at the start of the combat phase.

Very strange and possibly intentional!

6 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Hi all,

The rewording of the standard Skaven Warlord's command ability on Spiteclaw's warscroll is truly bizarre. I hadn't seen it mentioned here and just wanted to drop in to say that the Fjul-Grimnir (the Fyreslayer warband's leader)'s command ability has been reworded from the standard Runefather on foot's in exactly the same way, telling you to use it at the start of the combat phase.

Very strange and possibly intentional!

Definitely relevant! I was just about to check that myself :D Thanks for bringing it up! That does lead us towards the idea that it was an intentional change - but for what purpose? I really really hope GW will clarify this one. 

I played a game tonight with Spiteclaw.  Before the game started, I clarified with my opponent how it should work and he agreed that he could not only use Inspiring Presence in my Hero Phase, but that I could then use Gnash-Gnaw in both Combat PHases, his and mine.  I have to say, it was a really interesting way of running it and worked wonderfully.  IT also made up for the fact that by having him as your General you lose the General Trait because he is a named character.

Archived