Mixed Order Lists! Join in on the discussion

Kimbo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone see any standouts from the new DoK line to bring in to Mixed Order armies?  I was looking at some of the harpy units potentially as the drop from the sky ability could give you some nice utility to pick of key units/heroes.  They do look rather squishy though, so not sure if they would be worth including.

If you are interested in never taking Mortal Wounds ever and having a pretty good shot at unbinding spells, try out this Hallowheart allegiance list:

Allegiance: Hallowheart

Leaders
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix - General - Command Trait : Master of Defense - Artefact : Phoenix Stone
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix 
Luminark Of Hysh With White Battlemage 
Archmage 
Battlemage - Jade
Auric Runesmiter - Forge Key

Units
30 x Phoenix Guard 
5 x Liberators  -Warblade & Shield - 1 x Grandblades
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers  -Handaxes & Slingshields

Total: 1970 / 2000

Here is my latest list I'm working on.

Just for something different , and I lobe the Vanguard Pallador models :)

Allegiance: Order
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Inspiring
- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
- Gryph-Charger Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Ordinator (100)
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers

10 x Highborn Spearmen (80)

6 x Vanguard-Palladors (440)
20 x White Lions (280)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Highborn Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)
Highborn Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 126

5 hours ago, PaperStSoapCo said:

If you are interested in never taking Mortal Wounds ever and having a pretty good shot at unbinding spells, try out this Hallowheart allegiance list:

Allegiance: Hallowheart

Leaders
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix - General - Command Trait : Master of Defense - Artefact : Phoenix Stone
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix 
Luminark Of Hysh With White Battlemage 
Archmage 
Battlemage - Jade
Auric Runesmiter - Forge Key

Units
30 x Phoenix Guard 
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers  -Handaxes & Slingshields

Total: 1970 / 2000

How does it kill anything?

1 hour ago, Freejack02 said:

Phoenixes and Phoenix Guard do a good amount of damage. I don't see it having issues wiping out enemy units. 

I havent used the Phoenix much, the few times i've played against one it died pretty easy to my shooting before getting to me.

-1 to Wound Aura, 2+ Save from Mystic Shield and spells cast, 4+ FNP naturally, 6+ FNP from Battlemage, 6+ FNP from Archmage, 6+ FNP from Luminark, 6+ FNP from Master of Defence should probably not be dying before getting to you when moving as fast as it does.  Granted, that's assuming it doesn't just die on turn 1 from across the table, but that's generally pretty safe to assume if you've deployed reasonably.  If not, the Vulkites are in their face turn 1 to try and dissuade that regardless.

My current list I've been running. 

Lord Ordinator 
(100)

• General
  • Tenacious

Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix (240)
Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix (240)
Archmage on Dragon (320)

• Quicksilver Potion

Loremaster (100)
Battlemage (100)

• Wildform

Highborn Spearmen x10 (80)
Highborn Spearmen x10 (80)
Highborn Spearmen x10 (80)

Highborn Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)

Phoenix Guard x30 (420)

Total: 2000/2000
Allies:  0/400
Wounds: 126/126

Guys, would you please write some text to your lists?? Tactics, strategy, why you took this or that, do you play against competitive lists or is it "just for fun"...?

Just posting lists in the middle of nowhere doenst help much honestly.

...and I think we had a rule in thr forum against double posts?

Loremaster (100)
Battlemage (100)
Aether-Khemist (140)
40 x Arkanaut Company (480)
20 x Skinks (120)
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Dragon Blades (280)
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
Carmine Dragon (440)

Total: 2000 / 2000

I've revised my list a bit to this.  I still need to get the skinks so i've been playing Saurus Warriors in their place for now.  Its worked pretty well so far but I havent played against anything with a ton of shooting or teleporting. I basically use the Dragon and Dragon blades on opposite sides of the board, the dragon blades tend to just hold up whatever is on their side while I use the dragon to sweep around with Rippers coming in behind him to either support his attacks or to wipe out small units/heros.  The company does a good job of either sniping wound off of monsters/monsterous heros or outright killing them if my rolls are decent.

Most of what i'm taking is based on what i had that would pair up well with the dragon, I just wanted to paint one up and have a reason to play it cause i like the model its really only good with the Loremaster buff so if i dont get that off i have to play a bit more cautious.

I would be interested to see how it faired against Skyfires or the like but there arent any of those in my area.  I tend to only run this list against the guys in my area that i know are competitive.  I tone it down a bit for the more casual players.

I created my list for the main reason of seeing a viable competitive list that was able to use my High Aelves and feel like this can hold it's own, but is also a list that I truly enjoy playing.  I took the Archmage on the Dragon with the arcane tome so that I can have the two spells to get the most out of the Phoenix's Attuned to Magic.  I also did a break down of Alarielle, Dragon Lord, Archmage on Dragon, Drakeseer and Durthuu and found the Archmage on Dragon gave me the most flexibility with the rest of the list design and synergy with the Phoenixes.  The Ordinator is to buff the Bolt Throwers and then I would use the Wildform to further up the Ordinator buffed Thrower to maximize damage output with the +1 to Wound (I also considered Lifesurge and am still on the fence here).  Loremaster would Hand of Glory the Bolt Thrower early game and shift to the Dragon as time goes on.  Both mages would also attempt to get the largest benefit to the Phoenixes.  Archmage would focus on Shielding and either Arcane Bolt or his dispel spell to give my guys a fighting chance.  I feel the Dragon and 2 Phoenixes have a good amount of pop and with their buffs should hold up ok.   I used spearmen for my battle line to stay thematic with my elves and will use them as either a bubble wrap buffer or to help with objectives.  Finally, the block of Phoenix Guard is to have a larger unit to help capture objectives and to provide one which should be very resilient.   I haven't played a ton of games with it yet but am playing 3-4 games on Thursday and Saturday and will report back.

Also, sorry on the double post.  I hit "Alt+Enter" instead of "Shift+Enter" to single space down.  I'm at work and didn't realize it immediately and passed the window to edit my post. 

14 minutes ago, Lalashamo said:

I created my list for the main reason of seeing a viable competitive list that was able to use my High Aelves and feel like this can hold it's own, but is also a list that I truly enjoy playing.  I took the Archmage on the Dragon with the arcane tome so that I can have the two spells to get the most out of the Phoenix's Attuned to Magic.  I also did a break down of Alarielle, Dragon Lord, Archmage on Dragon, Drakeseer and Durthuu and found the Archmage on Dragon gave me the most flexibility with the rest of the list design and synergy with the Phoenixes.  The Ordinator is to buff the Bolt Throwers and then I would use the Wildform to further up the Ordinator buffed Thrower to maximize damage output with the +1 to Wound (I also considered Lifesurge and am still on the fence here).  Loremaster would Hand of Glory the Bolt Thrower early game and shift to the Dragon as time goes on.  Both mages would also attempt to get the largest benefit to the Phoenixes.  Archmage would focus on Shielding and either Arcane Bolt or his dispel spell to give my guys a fighting chance.  I feel the Dragon and 2 Phoenixes have a good amount of pop and with their buffs should hold up ok.   I used spearmen for my battle line to stay thematic with my elves and will use them as either a bubble wrap buffer or to help with objectives.  Finally, the block of Phoenix Guard is to have a larger unit to help capture objectives and to provide one which should be very resilient.   I haven't played a ton of games with it yet but am playing 3-4 games on Thursday and Saturday and will report back.

Also, sorry on the double post.  I hit "Alt+Enter" instead of "Shift+Enter" to single space down.  I'm at work and didn't realize it immediately and passed the window to edit my post. 

Did you ever play test the Drakeseer?  That was one model I have been on the fence about picking up but havent run in to anyone that has actually used it.  Looks decent on paper though.

1 minute ago, Drofnum said:

Did you ever play test the Drakeseer?  That was one model I have been on the fence about picking up but havent run in to anyone that has actually used it.  Looks decent on paper though.

I love the Drakeseer's Flames of the Phoenix spell on paper as it has some great potential, but I ran the numbers on Excel a number of times and calculated the spell to have an expected wound output of 2.21 versus 1.67 for Arcane Bolt.  In the end, the additional spell worked better for with the Phoenixes for me.

Flames of Phoenix 0-6 7+ 1 3 6 10 15 21 28 36 Expected  
  42% 58% 50% 25% 13% 6% 3% 2% 1% 0% 2.21  

Arcane Bolt Casting Cast Roll 0-4 5-12   Expected            
  5   17% 83%   1.666            

Using models I own I came up with the following gun-line (arrow-line) supported by Dragons;

Lord-Castellant (100)
Drakeseer (300)
- General
- Trait: Tenacious
- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
Archmage On Dragon (320)
- Magestaff
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
20 x Highborn Archers (200)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Tactics seem fairly obvious, everything hangs back and shoots. Once the enemy is sufficiently weakened the Dragons engage (Lord-Castellant is purely there for the +1 save to one of the dragons whose 5+ save is a bit meh). Skinks are there for objective grabbing or screening the arrow line.

I normally play Khorne so the thought of having so much missile fire and magic is very exciting!

1 hour ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Using models I own I came up with the following gun-line (arrow-line) supported by Dragons;

Lord-Castellant (100)
Drakeseer (300)
- General
- Trait: Tenacious
Archmage On Dragon (320)
- Magestaff
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Tactics seem fairly obvious, everything hangs back and shoots. Once the enemy is sufficiently weakened the Dragons engage (Lord-Castellant is purely there for the +1 save to one of the dragons whose 5+ save is a bit meh). Skinks are there for objective grabbing or screening the arrow line.

I normally play Khorne so the thought of having so much missile fire and magic is very exciting!

The Castellant can only buff Stormcast units, so he wouldnt be able to buff the dragons you have unfortunately.

Shizen! OK well I can drop the Castellant and upgrade the Archmage on Dragon to the Dragon Lord.

That leaves me with 80 points for a Skink Star Priest so I still have 2 wizards.

New list;

Dragonlord (340)
- General
- Shield & Dragon Lance
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
Drakeseer (300)
Skink Starpriest (80)
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Instead of the 4th unit of skinks is there something better for 60 points? Taking a salamander and going 20 points under is tempting but without handlers I'm not sure...

Posted in the KO thread but would love to hear from the generals here too, here's the list (mostly based off what I own):

Allegiance: Hammerhal

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
Lord-Ordinator (100)
- General
- Trait: Tenacious
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key

Battleline
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Light Skyhooks
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- Pairs of Handaxes

Units
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (440) 
- Aethermatic Volley Cannon

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

Strategy:

• Lord ordinator buffs ironclad to spew out 44 rend -1 shots at range 12+3" and create a threat zone with the arkanaut company. Not particularly worried with ordinator keeping up because the ironclad only moves 8".  Ironclad shoots at smaller stuff and the arkanaut at bigger things.
  • Vulkites berzerkers are there to hold down the frontline and push out threats to backline or with runesmither to keep enemy in their deployment/objective grab. Might swap out a runesmither for a battlesmith though for a sturdier frontline 
  • Endrinriggers are a quick-response units: not asking them to delete big scary units but more often taking off that key unit/hero that's winning the game for the opponent.

Here is mine, its a mix of units i like, trying to be competitive with it also:

Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Great Weapon
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)
10 x Executioners (180)
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Freeguild Archers (100)
10 x Freeguild Archers (100)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Hurricanum, executioners and waywatcher are the main damage dealers , all bubblewrap by dryads.

Phoenix as a distracion carnifex with shield of thorns and mystic shield.

Drycha goes after hordes.

Freeguild general and archers because i have a nice mounted model for the general and i like archers.

Archers can go take objectives  and if near hurricanum they output 10 shots at 2+/3+ rerrolling 1s to hit which isn't so bad for a battleline

So I'm new to the game and trying to build a mostly aelf list. I'm not aiming to be super-competitive and my choices are based mainly on the models I like.

I would however appreciate some advice. How effective could this list be? Are there any possibilities for improvement that jump out at you?

Leaders

Twilight Sisters on Forest Dragon (420) - General

Units

10 x Glade Guard (120)

10 x Sisters of the Watch (220)

10 x Executioners (180)

5 x Liberators (100)

10 x Skinks (60)

10 X Melusai Bloodstalkers (320)

5 x Drakespawn Knights (160)

Behemoths

War Hydra (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000 Wounds: 114

My basic idea is to play defensively with my various archers screened by infantry supporting my monsters.

I was toying with taking a Dreadlord on Blackdragon  but I think I'm probably better off with the new Bloodstalkers as they'll give me some more robust archers I can stick in front of my Sisters of the Watch. I'm missing out on the bonus I'd get if I took 20+ Glade Guard but then I'd need to take 30 (or a spellweaver) to keep them at 20+ for very long and I don't really want to use 360 points on some mediocre and not terribly interesting archers.

What do people think?

Heres the mixed order "Force of Nature" list I'm working on - elves, trees and lizards! 

Leaders
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)
- General
-Reckless
-Quicksilver potion
Loremaster (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Knight-Azyros (80)    NOTE: converted flying angel elf

Battleline
10 x Skinks (60)
-Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
-Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Darkshards (100)   NOTE: converted to have woodland look

Units
20 x Eternal Guard (160)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (440)
-Scythes
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (440)
-Greatbows

Total: (2000)

Tactics
Disclaimer:  I've not played with the full 2k list yet, just various parts of it. So a lot of this is theory hammer. 

The list is designed to be a combined arms toolbox - no major gimmicks or alphas, just solid units with different roles on the table. I'm designing towards winning the scenario, not tabling my opponent. The Greatbow Kurnoths will sit back on one of my home objectives blasting away - their massive range allows them to have major impact on the game while staying out of trouble, and they have the staying power to hold the objective if something does get through my lines. The Eternal Guard are an anvil - first turn they get buffed up with magic and run towards a mid-table objective (depending on scenario), then hunker down the rest of the game to defend it. The Phoenix and Scythe Hunters are my hammers to launch the attack on enemy objectives - they both pack plenty of survivability as well as vicious offense. Skinks run out ahead of my front line, attempting to chaff enemy units so I can deal with things one at a time, or potentially slipping through to backfield objectives. Just being annoying and skinky in general. The Darkshards stand behind the main combat line, peppering the enemy maybe while holding an objective. I think they are an underrated unit - they pack pretty solid defense (assuming shields) for their points and their shooting (while not great) is enough to whittle down chaff or add a couple extra wounds to a battleshock test. Also I have a cool conversion idea for them, so theres that!

Loremaster and Sisters - I don't think I need to explain too much. They pack the right combination of spells to add reliability (both offense and defense) in key turns. Loremaster buffs either the Phoenix or Waywatcher, depending on whats going on. Sisters probably buff the Eternal Guard, Kurnoths, or Phoenix, and look to slip through towards objectives late-game. The Knight Azyros flaps around helping my Kurnoths, Darkshards and Waywatcher with their shooting. I also think he's a great chaff piece - if he clips a unit on one side, limiting pile in, he generally has the survivability to last a round or two and the speed to chaff up the right unit. Alternatively, he has enough offense to hunt down enemy chaff or backline shooters/artillery. I think he's just a bargain in general, but especially in this relatively shooty list. Finally, the Waywatcher. Excellent for sniping characters with his Rend 2 shots, although I'm not completely convinced of his place in this list - could trade for a Jade Wizard to heal the Phoenix or Kurnoths. 

Feedback appreciated!!

On 3/5/2018 at 8:12 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

Are you playing GHB17? In objective based play, I'm not sure how viable "everything hangs back and shoots" is, unless you have enough firepower to wipe the enemy in a turn or two. Especially in the incremental scoring scenarios, your opponent can rack up significant points while weathering your firepower for a couple of turns, and if you are sending skinks forward alone to hold objectives they won't last long. I feel like you need an anvil unit or two, to hunker down on objectives and tie up the enemy, while you rain arrows into the combat.

Archived