Mixed Order Lists! Join in on the discussion

Kimbo

Hi! Im soon done with my Blades of Khorne army and I have had my mind on a Mixed order list a long time...I love the thought of having stuff from several alligences working together..aelves, dwarfs, humans and trees working together..aaah! So cool! 

- What units did you use to good effect in a Mixed order list? ((If you have a list you have used, please share!))

- would you say Mixed order can be atleast somewhat competitive? How could a competitive list look? 

So

If you have any XP on using mixed Order, please join the discussion here! All i can learn from a Veteran is great! 

Cheers! 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waywatcher heroes are pretty gross, with or without a Hurricanum.

60 point units of Skinks seem like a popular way of filling up battleline slots on the cheap.

Sisters of the Thorn combo nicely with mostly anything capable of stacking save modifiers (Mystic Shield and a Lord-Castellant's lantern for example)

An Archmage on a Balewind Vortex is going to be looking at giving your army a 36" 6+ ward bubble.

The Free City bonus allegiances found in Firestorm are worth a look if you're running mixed Order. Anvilgard in particular opens up some unique tactical possibilities and playstyles, and if you're not taking any Seraphon or named characters there's no reason not to run Hammerhal.

In two weeks I'll participate to a tournament.

I'll use an order mix list

leader:

lord ordinator : general

azuryan frost phoenix: artefact -1 more rend

azuryan frost phoenix

battlemage

archmage

loremaster

battleline:

1x40 skink

3x10 skink

behemoth:

luminark of hysh

artillery:

4x reaper bolt thrower

I ever try this list with sister of

the thorn and they didn't make a

great Job with the skinks so I swap them for

ordinator

and a battlemage. That was really resilient. Expecting really good result with bolt thrower/loremaster/ordinator

combo

I have almost all order armies, and could combine many good list from those I think.

I do think that there should be more abilities and command abilities that could affect the grand alliance keywords.

that way there could be even more variation I combos for order. 

As it is the luminary is almost an auto include in every mixed order  list

I guess the Lord ordinator opens up new combos with war machines though.

maybe minimum one hero from each faction should have a command ability that’s “if grand alliance ORDER/DEATH/DESTRUCTION/CHAOS...use this command ability instead”

I'm planning to run my freeguild often as mixed order for fun.

Mostly gonna be free peoples, battlemages and possibly ironweld arsenal but with guest stars from whatever I feel like at the time :P 

I'm slightly tempted to jump into sylvaneth too to use both with these guys and on their own but I have enough armies for now and need to stop! Especially with DoK around the corner ;) 

It'll be nice to see how viable they become in a mixed order list with their new units tbh.

11 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi! Im soon done with my Blades of Khorne army and I have had my mind on a Mixed order list a long time...I love the thought of having stuff from several alligences working together..aelves, dwarfs, humans and trees working together..aaah! So cool! 

- What units did you use to good effect in a Mixed order list? ((If you have a list you have used, please share!))

- would you say Mixed order can be atleast somewhat competitive? How could a competitive list look? 

So

If you have any XP on using mixed Order, please join the discussion here! All i can learn from a Veteran is great! 

Cheers! 

I'm discussing my mixed order based on wood elves/wanderers in the "let's chat wanderers" topic atm. 

I think there's a lot of fun to be had with mixed Order. I'm working on an Anvilgard army, so I'm restricting myself to the Anvilgard factions for thematic purposes, which seems to be a surprisingly uncommon approach. If the 'Let's Chat - Anvilgard' thread is anything to go by then most people seem to stick mostly with one or two factions whilst still using the Anvilgard rules. My approach is to mix in as many different races and factions as possible, to truly give the impression of a cultural melting pot whilst also setting myself the challenge of painting all these different models to look like a coherent force.

I'm also not assuming that the Anvilgard abilities will always be permitted, so I'm trying to design a force that will be at least a little competitive without them. My plan is to not have any one thing in the army that will be an obvious target for my opponent - no superheroes riding monstrous beasts, no units that are widely acknowledged to be overpowered, no massive regiments of powerful melee units, no characters that provide buffs upon which my whole army is reliant, etc. Just a little bit of everything. The idea being that it doesn't matter what my opponent takes off the table, the rest of the army can still give a good account of themselves and I'm still in with a chance of making an impact on the game. With all of the options that Order has, I'm convinced that a well designed and well balanced mixed Order army has the potential to be top tier. An army that has no particular strengths but also no particular weaknesses, in the hands of a skilled general, could surely beat the powerful but one-trick ponies of Tzeentch, Nurgle, Vanguard Stormcast et al.

I have been playing with the Living city since the arrival of the Firestorm. Haven't had time to really paint new stuff, but as soon as my ever filling desk is bit emptier I'll paint the  models I'm missing for this list:

Treelord Ancient, with the -1 to hit item

Freeguild general on griffon, general with reckless

Waywatcher hero

40 Freeguild guard -halberds

3 Kurnoth hunters with scythes (great support for the guard with their 2" range)

10 Archers/crossbowmen

10 Liberators (coming from the special deployment)

Summonable wyldwood

Total: 1500 points

Feels pretty solid and interesting to play. The special deployment is fun, I have earlier used it for a big block of halberdiers that i have met halfway with the griffon general to buff them up. This particular list is bit light on the number of units, but most of them are quite tough to crack in a 1500 point game. One option to make it even tougher is to take 20 crossbowmen instead of the waywatcher, but they might be hard to keep in the full strength to benefit from their numbers.

Main aspect what I'm missing with the living city are the battlemages. The +1 to wound from the beast mage has been very useful, especially with the big halberdier unit.

Ive been fooling around with something in the style of: 

Allegiance: Order
Freeguild General On Griffon 
Skink Starpriest 
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage 
Gunmaster
40 x Freeguild Guard 
10 x Skinks 
10 x Skinks 
6 x Kurnoth Hunters 
- Scythes
Cannon (180)
Cannon (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

Any points? Improvments?

Cheers!

@Kimbo

Personally I'd ditch the Hurricanum for a Lord-Ordinator (as the army general), a Helstorm Rocket Battery and either a Jade Battlemage to heal/Mystic Shield the griffon and Kurnoths, or a Loremaster to Hand of Glory the Helstorm and Griffon.

The Hurricanum's shot up in points in the most recent GHB, and you're (presumably) going to be using it to improve your chances to hit with the cannons. The Ordinator can do this with points to spare to bring an extra warmachine with him, and if he's your general give you an effective four warmachine's worth of shooting a turn.

That said if you particularly like and want to paint the Hurricanum model, go for it, it's not bad for it's points,  just less of a no-brainer than it used to be  and best paired with things like Retributors and Longstrike Raptors that do mortal wounds on a higher hit roll. :) 

Frosthearth Phoenix/Annointed

Loremaster

2x Bolt Throwers

Reavers

Spearman (Legacy)

Phoenix Guard

1000 points format

I've been thinking on making Hallowhearth army, with Fyreslayers, Phoenix Temple and Eldritch Council. Not sure how to make it, as Fyreslayers want to be in larger groups.

42 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I've been thinking on making Hallowhearth army, with Fyreslayers, Phoenix Temple and Eldritch Council. Not sure how to make it, as Fyreslayers want to be in larger groups.

A blob of 30 Vulkites mining in with a Runesmiter to camp objectives early and act as a tarpit's a pretty solid Fyreslayer contingent for a mixed Order list. Hallowheart allowing the Runesmiter to get close and unbind is a pretty nice situational bonus too. 

Runeson on Magmadroth 

High Warden

Runesmiter 

2x5 Reavers

1x20 Vulkites - Picks and Shields 

1x10 Swordmasters 

2x3 Skywardens - drills and volley guns

1500 pt format

Waiting for another box of wardens and vulkites then ill be running 

Magson

High Warden

Runesmiter

Archmage

2x5 Reavers

1x30 Vulkites

1x20 Swordmasters

1x6 Skywardens 

1x3 Skywardens 

(Running the 6 of skywardens keeps me always winning the drop war vs. my friend's skaven menace)

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

@Kimbo

Personally I'd ditch the Hurricanum for a Lord-Ordinator (as the army general), a Helstorm Rocket Battery and either a Jade Battlemage to heal/Mystic Shield the griffon and Kurnoths, or a Loremaster to Hand of Glory the Helstorm and Griffon.

The Hurricanum's shot up in points in the most recent GHB, and you're (presumably) going to be using it to improve your chances to hit with the cannons. The Ordinator can do this with points to spare to bring an extra warmachine with him, and if he's your general give you an effective four warmachine's worth of shooting a turn.

That said if you particularly like and want to paint the Hurricanum model, go for it, it's not bad for it's points,  just less of a no-brainer than it used to be  and best paired with things like Retributors and Longstrike Raptors that do mortal wounds on a higher hit roll. :) 

To Clarify some points you made 

- ditch the Gunmaster for the ordinator? Or use both with 2x cannon and a battery?

- add a mage despite the fact that i already have a skink priest? I thought he would be a cheaper MS? 

Allegiance: Order
Freeguild General On Griffon 
Gunmaster
Ordinator  (general)
Skink Starpriest 
Waywatcher (or use Jade mage?)
40 x Freeguild Guard
10 x Skinks 
10 x Skinks 
6 x Kurnoth Hunters 
Cannon 
Cannon 
Helstorm Rocket Battery 

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

Something like this?

And to anyone to answer, is There a better alternative for Kurnoth Hunters as the deathstar?  Something that kills stuff basicly!

Thanks alot for all The inputs..means alot!

46 minutes ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Runeson on Magmadroth 

High Warden

Runesmiter 

2x5 Reavers

1x20 Vulkites - Picks and Shields 

1x10 Swordmasters 

2x3 Skywardens - drills and volley guns

1500 pt format

How do you find the High Warden and the Swordmasters?  Going to be running some of those myself soon.

I've been playing around with a mixed order list as well.  It mostly just consists of what i have with a Carmine Dragon thrown in cause i wanted to paint one.  Not really sure what to do with the 380 points I have left over though, I think a unit that is pretty tanky and a little killy, fast enough to kind of keep up with the dragon would be a bonus, would be best but I'm not sure what  unit in Order fits that.

The list I am working on at the moment:

Battlemage (100)
Loremaster (100)
Aether-Khemist (140)
40 x Arkanaut Company (480)
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
Carmine Dragon (440)

Total: 1620 / 2000

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

@Kimbo

I like combining the hurricanum with waywatchers (hero). waywatchers (compendium unit) and executioners... well at least in theoryhammering in that list I mentioned before.

1 hour ago, stato said:

How do you find the High Warden and the Swordmasters?  Going to be running some of those myself soon.

Swordmasters are good once they get engaged and with Mystic Shield can hold a good objective. High Warden is killy but doesnt last long. They make a good team with Skywardens with the ranged threat and Reavers moving around. 

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

To Clarify some points you made 

- ditch the Gunmaster for the ordinator? Or use both with 2x cannon and a battery?

- add a mage despite the fact that i already have a skink priest? I thought he would be a cheaper MS? 

Keep both the Ordinator and the Gunmaster, the Ordinator doesn't have the Engineer keyword and so won't give Cannons rerolls to hit when he's stood 1" away.

I mostly suggested the mage because you had 100 surplus points after replacing the Hurricanum with the Ordiantor + Helstorm. A Waywatcher's probably a better shout. :) 

My Mix order

1 x Lord - Ordinator (General)

1 x Gunmaster

2 x Knight-Azyros

10 x Freeguild Handgunners

3 x Canon

1 x Field Mortar

1 x Luminark of Hysh

1 x Celeastial Hurricanum

1,940/2,000 pt.

Wanna see how it work or not.

1 hour ago, Zetsu20 said:

My Mix order

1 x Lord - Ordinator (General)

1 x Gunmaster

2 x Knight-Azyros

3 x Canon

1 x Field Mortar

1 x Luminark of Hysh

1 x Celeastial Hurricanum

1,940/2,000 pt.

Wanna see how it work or not.

Ho god, that´s a lot of dakka, good reroll option with the Azyros

On 13-2-2018 at 6:42 AM, Deathtone_shade said:

In two weeks I'll participate to a tournament.

I'll use an order mix list

leader:

lord ordinator : general

azuryan frost phoenix: artefact -1 more rend

azuryan frost phoenix

battlemage

archmage

loremaster

battleline:

1x40 skink

3x10 skink

behemoth:

luminark of hysh

artillery:

4x reaper bolt thrower

I ever try this list with sister of

the thorn and they didn't make a

great Job with the skinks so I swap them for

ordinator

and a battlemage. That was really resilient. Expecting really good result with bolt thrower/loremaster/ordinator

combo

Teleporting shooters might be annoying for the crew of the boltthrowers.

Archived