Onboard's DaemonDiary

OnboardG1

This is something I meant to do on another forum for my 40k , but since I'm starting AoS with my Khorne Daemons it's a good way to log my progress and stay on track. I finished up my Start Collecting box today and took them to the MP muster at Gdub where they did pretty well. Need to work on my edge highlighting though to get that really clean, thin highlight line:

The blood throne before I based it:

cwolele.jpg

My guys lined up for judging

SPs3BbI.jpg

Won silver in the end, beaten out by an absolutely amazing ogre army. Fair play.

yqnNNSb.jpg

R7SH9ti.jpg

BwqSRv7.jpg

bWIVgBw.jpg

Next up I'm going to get the Darkoath Warqueen painted. I need to figure out how to get that blue spot colour from the weapons into the design. 

Congrats on winning second place! :)

Can I ask what recipe you used for the blue? It works really well against the dominant red, and also looks a very good fit for something I'd like to do for my planned Tzeentch army later this year  (open cracks in the ground to an otherworldly blue realm). Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Congrats on winning second place! :)

Can I ask what recipe you used for the blue? It works really well against the dominant red, and also looks a very good fit for something I'd like to do for my planned Tzeentch army later this year  (open cracks in the ground to an otherworldly blue realm). Thanks!

I used an airbrush but you should be able to get something similar by glazing (although it won't take 2 minutes per sword like this did :P). Kantor Blue base then Caledor sky over around 50% of the sword to lay down the initial gradient. Next Aliatoc blue and hoeth blue getting progressively narrower in width to build the gradient up. I finished the centre of the gradient with a light dusting of white (which was heavier than I meant to in some places because I had the pressure too high). Then I glazed everything with a 50/50 mix of Guilliman Blue and Lahmian Medium. Finally I edge highlighted with Hoeth blue to define the shape.

47 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That's a lot of steps! I think I can probably dumb it down to my standard though. :) Thanks for taking the time!

You probably don’t need that many steps with a brush. I think you could probably get a really nice effect just by thinning aliatoc blue down to a glaze and glazing up over the kantor. Then apply a very thin coat of white to the centre. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been painting up the Warqueen over the last couple of weeks:

q1xTg7o.jpg

vHw2IGl.jpg

Just need to do the highlights and the base. I used some Vallejo metallic medium in the red armor and the blue axe and I think it worked pretty well.

Next up I’m very tempted by a Bloodthirster and some chaos nights.

1 minute ago, Charles said:

Nice, I would really like to see here when she is finished and assembled. I was thinking about doing mine with Red Armour, but maybe then do the cloak a different colour to contrast.

Yours is looking really nice though so I may not have to.

I put her together last night but forgot to photograph her. The inside of the cloak is darker than the armour (Khorne red over VMC hull red) so there’s a lot more contrast in the aspect where you can see the armour plate.

Having finished the skin tones I came to a few conclusions. Rakarth flesh, Reikland wash, rakarth highlight (right) is the fastest and looks good. VGA Scorched Brown, Druchii violet, doom bull brown, Tuskgor Fur is really nice looking but has a lot of steps. VGA dark fleshtone, druchii violet, tuskgor fur layer is fast but lacks depth. I think less aggression with the highlight and another wash would help. VGA Bronzed Fleshtone, Reikland, Cadian Flesh, Kislev Flesh looks amazing thanks to the tanned cast the base colour gives to the mini. However it takes ages. I think for the second set of 20 I’ll do half in the Rakarth scheme and half in the VMC Dark fleshtone scheme but with a less aggressive highlight stage.

QEOnTtA.jpg

P0TZM92.jpg

Archived