Mortal Seraphon

dasdom

My wife dislikes the idea of her Lizardmen being some kind of celestial daemon in the Age of Sigmar fluff and asked if she could somehow run them closer to their original lore. My idea was to remove the "celestial" and "daemon" keywords from the warscrolls and replacing them with "mortal". This would also include removing the summoning abilities from the warscrolls (since they're no longer daemons, they can't be summoned).

What do you think of this approach? Any glaring problems I missed? Would you accept this kind of homebrew modification in your own games?

The High Bravery could always represent the old "cold-blooded" rule. 

My experience with Seraphon is fairly limited (as is my experience with AoS as a whole), but do those keywords have a whole lot of impact?  i.e. If you chose not to summon any lizardmen, how often do they come up in a game?

For games outside a tournament setting you can usually fudge  forge the narrative a bit, so ignoring the keywords probably won't be a big deal. Unless dropping a keyword gives you an unfair advantage; like no longer being 'daemonic' making you immune to certain counters or something.  Then an opponent in a pick-up game would have cause to object.

Yes, but thats kind of a trade-off for no longer being vulnerable to the witch-hunters special ability...it's the only rule I found which interacts with "daemon"...that's why I'm asking, I'm not sure I'm overlooking something.

@Bravery: given that Lizardmen in 8th basically never broke (and they have a similar ability in TTW2), I feel that is still justified.

I've been playing Seraphon since AoS dropped and I can't think of any major problems this would cause.  The most common occurrence would be the Slaan's signature spell as already mentioned but that can be solved by changing CELESTIAL DAEMON to SERAPHON in the wording.  I know there are few situations were being CELESTIAL might matter but I believe those are mostly Times of War or Narrative Battleplans.  Seraphon themselves prolly have more interactions with DAEMONS than most other armies but its always affecting CHAOS daemons.

I also agree that Bravery 10 seems high for mortals, even cold-blooded ones.  8 or 9 might be better.  Bravery 10 seems to be reserved for things that either can't die and know it (daemons) or are not even conscious of death so not afraid of it (mindless undead).  Still it may be more trouble than its worth to start changing stats.

From my understanding, there are Seraphon that have been summoned and left in certain places. Perhaps a group of Seraphon/Lizardmen have been roaming and defending an area for centuries, and perhaps even the Slaan that brought them back was super sentimental and gave them urges to feed and maybe even recreates spawning pits for future "generations". A big ole Nostalgic Slaan.

Gameplay wise, there really is no real reason to change them. They teleport around due to Slaan shenanigans, not TOO far off from what they did lore wise in the World That Was. The stars have power after all. Just create a narrative that works for you and do what you want, it's what Age of Sigmar does best.

Archived