Using the battalion: 'Great Moonclan' in 2018 ?

Zyrka

Question

Hey everyone,

I just checked the destruction FAQ and it says something about the battalion: 'Great Moonclan'. Can i still use it in matched play?

(https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Errata/AoS_Errata/warhammer_aos_destruction_en.pdf)

Because the point cost isn't in the generals handbook 2017 compendium but the point cost is still in the older version of the ghb...

So is it use-able in matched play or not ?

Thank you for your time!

7 answers to this question

If it was released before the GHB17 and doesn't have points in the GHB 17, it's not considered valid in matched play. But even further than that, for the old compendium battalions, they're not even in the warscroll compendium anymore and technically aren't don't exist anymore, nor do the "Night Goblin" units that make it up. When AoS came out, they basically ported over all the old world armies as-is and game them AoS rules with the warscroll compendiums, but now they've cleaned them out to only contain units that don't exist in AoS proper and along with that the battalions that technically don't even have units to fill them out anymore. So basically Great Moonclan is double is not only invalid for matched play in a GHB17, but doesn't technically exist. While you can't use it at tournaments, and I wouldn't recommend it for pickup games with strangers, there's nothing stopping you from digging up the old warscroll compendiums and play them that way.

Question on this - there are a lot of other batallions without points in GH17 (not all of which include obsolete unit names).

I totally agree that they can't be used in Matched Play because they don't have a points cost. 

Is this actually specified anywhere?  I seem to remember it being FAQ'd in the older GH FAQs, but I can't see it in the current FAQs.

It's probably just "assumed knowledge" for most of us that no points = not matched play legal, but I'm trying to convince someone that it doesn't mean they get to use it for free!

4 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Question on this - there are a lot of other batallions without points in GH17 (not all of which include obsolete unit names).

I totally agree that they can't be used in Matched Play because they don't have a points cost. 

Is this actually specified anywhere?  I seem to remember it being FAQ'd in the older GH FAQs, but I can't see it in the current FAQs.

It's probably just "assumed knowledge" for most of us that no points = not matched play legal, but I'm trying to convince someone that it doesn't mean they get to use it for free!

GHB17, page 76, first sentence of the first paragraph.

Second paragraph covers version / retired arguments.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:01 PM, PlasticCraic said:

“In order to be used in a Pitched Battle, a unit or warscroll battalion must have a Pitched Battle profile. The profile will let you know how many models the unit can have, and how many points it costs to use.”  (P.76 GHB 2017)

No Pitched Battle profile = Not usable in Matched Play

This is followed by page 86 in the GHB (2017):

“Whenever we publish a new edition of the General’s Handbook or a new battletome, we review, update and fine-tune the Pitched Battle profiles for all of the models. This means that the profiles printed here take precedence over any profiles with an earlier publication date, and also take precedence over profiles that have no publication date at all.”

If an updated PBP list has removed the Batttalion or Unit, and it has no points and no profile then it isn’t valid for Matched Play.

It's only the unit wording that is the "wrong" thing with great moonclan formation, it has points (80), it is in azyr and in destruction faq 1.2 about how it works, why wuld it be there if it is not usable? 

9 minutes ago, Dromba said:

It's only the unit wording that is the "wrong" thing with great moonclan formation, it has points (80), it is in azyr and in destruction faq 1.2 about how it works, why wuld it be there if it is not usable? 

Those are the points the battalion had in the first generals handbook with the rules in the first compendium list. The Compendium was changed when the GH2017 came out and all battalions were deleted in the PDF, but they forgot to delete the battalions in the App. The App isn't uptodate in this case.

Archived