Let's Chat: Spiteclaw's Swarm

PlayerJ

At some point earlier today, I was considering which match-ups I felt would be most difficult for Skaven and it actually occurred to me that the Skaven have a really nasty trick they can  use against the Sepulchral Guard.

Because  you can bring back the "Swarm" on any starting hex, you can effectively stop the SG  player from bringing back his dead fighters if he is yet to move them off the starting hexes by bringing back your own fighters on one on his starting hexes. If there isn't a spare hex to place his fighter on he/she won't be able to bring their fighter back onto the board. This could result in S.G player player fighting without one of their key fighters at a key point in the game. At the very least it may force your opponent to make a move they weren't ready to make so that they can bring their dead fighters back

Edited by Praetor of Calth
  • Like 1

I'm curious how our matchups will go. Thoughts so far:

• Stormcast
    • Can't one-shot any of them without Skritch Inspired + Great Strength or weapon Upgrades. Once they're Inspired, there's almost no point to even fighting them, so will be a dodgy game focused on Objectives and survival. 
  • Khorne
    • Krrk and Skritch are actually solid fighters in this matchup, but you don't necessarily want to go around killing everything. Main goal is to kill Garrek/Saek first and then Karsus, which we have the speed to do. Skritch inspired can fairly reliably kill Saek quickly if he's out of position, and once he's out there's no more Cleave to threaten Krrk. Will be a really interesting game with the high speeds. 
  • Orruks
    • Again, very hard to kill. Basically just need to keep Skritch away from Gurzag, though, the rest aren't terribly scary without Upgrades. Also like Stormcast, seems like the focus will be more on surviving and scoring than actually fighting. Slapping down Sprint and just gunning it to the opponent's backfield might be a really useful tool to split up the forces.
  • Skeletons
    • A really interesting matchup. Can actually fairly reliably farm Kill Glory here since you can flank and hit things (even Hungering Skaven with Black Hunger + Inspire becomes a real threat) and as long as you don't get Harvester multislapped, you really control the tempo thanks to speed and both being able to rez. Their base damage output is higher, though, with Warden/Champion/Harvester being fairly killy, and Champion/Warden with upgrades can pop Krrk quickly, will be a very positioning-reliant game.
  • Fyreslayers
    • All conjecture because they're not out yet, of course. But they're not particularly scary when not Inspired. Good but not insane damage, low speed, good defense, but an Inspired or Upgraded Skritch/Krrk could one shot those 3 Wound Dwarves before they get to do anything. However, upgraded and Inspired Grimnir is going to be a nightmare - if he puts on Grimnir's Speed and Inspires, he's 5 Move with an insane statline, capable of one-shotting any of our Fighters. Using ploys or sacrificing dudes to keep him off of Objectives is of tantamount importance. Fyreslayers, with their powerful Upgrades/Ploys and strong Inspiration, seem to get better as the game goes on, so I think we just need to get ahead early or lose the game in Turn 3.

What do you guys think? Any matchups you're looking forward to or dreading?

On 15-2-2018 at 6:44 PM, Requizen said:

This is what I'm looking at running (really wish there was a way to make a table or do HTML/BBCode on here):

Objectives:

• Hold Objective 1
  • Hold Objective 2
  • Hold Objective 3
  • Hold Objective 4
  • Hold Objective 5
  • Cover Ground
  • Alone in the Darkness
  • Divide and Conquer
  • Skritch is the Greatest
  • Determined Defender
  • Supremacy
  • Miraculous Escape

Ploys:

• Sidestep
  • Illusory Fighter
  • Earthquake
  • Daylight Robbery
  • Sprint
  • Ready For Action
  • Sacrificial Pawn
  • There Are Always More
  • Musk Of Fear
  • Heightened Caution

Upgrades:

• Acrobatic
  • Heroslayer
  • Ethereal Shield
  • Great Speed
  • Soultrap
  • Shadowed Key
  • Blazing Key
  • Dazzling Key
  • Black Hunger
  • ??? (Currently between Fractured Key, Shadeglass Axe/Hammer/Darts, or Skitter-Scurry)

Partially play towards Objectives, partially just try to dance around and survive. A couple aggressive upgrades for the Chump Rats, but mostly just about dodging around, trying to sneak objectives, and spread out your opponents.

With Acrobatic and an Inspire, Skritch is rocking 3 Defense dice, and with either Musk of Fear or Ethereal Shield, you can make him insanely hard to kill. I'm also thinking of dropping the keys and going for more offensive Upgrades to make up for their lower base damage output, but I think it might be a bit of a trap.

I really like your deck, I personally think you can actually consider a daemonic weapon as the last slot for a clanrat.

I personally am building my deck to be less objective-based and more assassination based, but I'll definately mix and match lists to see if it goes well together :).

20 minutes ago, CJPT said:

So I don't know if this is an (amazing) joke or a brilliant mistake, but I just opened my pack of Spiteclaw's Swarm sleeves and it has thirteen objective card sleeves inside rather than the advertised twelve.

THE DREADED THIRTEENTH!

You wouldn't even be able too appreciate the extent to which I want this to be the deliberate.

• Like 1

Got a couple games in with my Skaven,using the list I posted previously. 

Very interesting, they play differently from every other warband I've tried. Hard to engage directly, and if you don't get enough Glory early to get a couple aggressive upgrades on your Chumps, it can feel really rough to keep up. Played against Skellies, so I was able to pop the Petitioners easy but killing the named dudes was a challenge, especially since I died super hard to the counterpunch. 

Very neat force, gonna mess with my deck some more. Supremacy and Superior Tactician feel a bit meh, but I want more multi-Glory cards in there. 

10 hours ago, Requizen said:

Got a couple games in with my Skaven,using the list I posted previously. 

Very interesting, they play differently from every other warband I've tried. Hard to engage directly, and if you don't get enough Glory early to get a couple aggressive upgrades on your Chumps, it can feel really rough to keep up. Played against Skellies, so I was able to pop the Petitioners easy but killing the named dudes was a challenge, especially since I died super hard to the counterpunch. 

Very neat force, gonna mess with my deck some more. Supremacy and Superior Tactician feel a bit meh, but I want more multi-Glory cards in there. 

The thing I dislike about high glory cards is how swingy they can truely be. As Skaven we don't have the double move (or even tripple) like Skeletons do, so to get on, lets say, 3 objectives are straight up 3 actions used in the very best scenario if you don't use tactics such as Earthquake to shift everything into spot, or shifting sands to get the  objective onto your Skaven. Because of that I'm thinking to get easy to achieve things, such as 1 glory objective cards for some easy glory and some high end equipment cards for clanrats and Skritch himself. Skaven are hard to hit and can pretty much engage any target they desire. I believe the key to victory with them is to play a quiet first turn, getting some glory and then going in full force.

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

The thing I dislike about high glory cards is how swingy they can truely be. As Skaven we don't have the double move (or even tripple) like Skeletons do, so to get on, lets say, 3 objectives are straight up 3 actions used in the very best scenario if you don't use tactics such as Earthquake to shift everything into spot, or shifting sands to get the  objective onto your Skaven. Because of that I'm thinking to get easy to achieve things, such as 1 glory objective cards for some easy glory and some high end equipment cards for clanrats and Skritch himself. Skaven are hard to hit and can pretty much engage any target they desire. I believe the key to victory with them is to play a quiet first turn, getting some glory and then going in full force.

The thing that I feel is that "full force" is very swingy. You need good Upgrades for your Chump rats, and if you don't have them, they do nothing. Even if you do have them, if you whiff and they're not Inspired, they'll  just die super fast. I'm almost thinking to completely ignore combat and try and play dodgy Objective holding, though it's not particularly exciting. 

21 minutes ago, Requizen said:

The thing that I feel is that "full force" is very swingy. You need good Upgrades for your Chump rats, and if you don't have them, they do nothing. Even if you do have them, if you whiff and they're not Inspired, they'll  just die super fast. I'm almost thinking to completely ignore combat and try and play dodgy Objective holding, though it's not particularly exciting. 

I feel you there, lol. The issue with small decks is that theres no way to decide which objectives arrive first, and drawing a lot of the 3 glory ones early game can mean its a loss before the game even started. I guess the 2 glory objective ones are quite ok though! :) A lot less risk with those at least.

Hi,

I am thinking about a deck for the Skavens. Almost all the cards i like are in my Reavers deck so I have to adopt a different strategy.

There is 2 goals in this deck:

-grabbing objectives, more over when a enemy model is on top.

-using Skritch to kill a enemy model and, better, the enemy leader.

According to this idea, there are my objectives:

• Hold Objective 1-5
  • Supremacy
  • Make a Statement
  • Skritch is the Best, yes-yes
  • Victorious Duel
  • Arm's Length
  • Assassinate
  • Cover Ground

Ploys:

• Earthquake
  • On your feet
  • Time trap
  • Sprint
  • Sudden Skittering
  • Confusion
  • Nervous Scrabbling
  • Frenzied Stabbing
  • Heightened Caution
  • Musk of Fear
  • There Are Always More

Upgrades:

• Deamonic Weapon
  • Shadeglass sword
  • Great Fortitude
  • Great Strength
  • Bodyguard for a Price
  • Expendable
  • Skitter-scurry
  • Acrobatic
  • Keys 2-3-5

In the ploys I have the combo Sprint+Confusion twice to mess with the enemy Hold Objective and to hope to score Make a Statement. There is some ploys helping to get better survivability aiming to stay alive on the objectives or to keep Skritch alive.

In the Upgrades I have some weapons for obvious reasons and other things to improve Skritch (Acrobatic+Bodyguard for a Price seems nice). May be there is too many keys. 

This deck looks quite like another that I want to try with the guard: half objective/half assassinate. Skavens seem more aggressive (round 1: stealing objectives or charging)  and more dicey (no Necromancer Command, no Ceaseless Attack), the guard will be... slower, unexpectedly ( allowing the enemy to score more glory by been killed or not being able to disturb the first round enemy's objectives) but will be more reliable and harder hitters. Despite that, it is funny how the fastest and the slowest band's goals can be similar.

14 hours ago, Paul Chapman said:

How does the flee upgrade work? Can you flee if you've already moved previously? Can you still use it if you don't have an adjacent friendly fighter?

169_ENG.png

I think it can only activate when both are next to each other. I'm a bit uncertain if Skritch can move if he already moved as well. Its quite poorly written ><

The rules say you get one Move action per Fighter per Round. Nothing countermands that (unlike Attacks, which you can do extras of per the rules about cards granting extra Attacks).

If you've already moved him, you cannot use this card this Round.

Edit:

I must change my opinion after reading the rules.  Yes, you can get the Move after doing a Move action.

My apologies.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Thanks 1

On 18-2-2018 at 12:23 PM, Kirjava13 said:

Weird. I've spoken to one store manager in the UK and one in Austria and both have told me the same thing. Also seen people on Reddit from the Netherlands and Italy complaining about that.

I bought my box in the Netherlands, so not sure which stores don't have it. Perhaps those with limited shelf space?

Edited by Kugane

I think also that ressing might end up being a bit of a trap. Like it can be for guard. It will take you an activation to res. Then that skaven will neeed to move to an objective with another activation. And not if he already moved or charges that action phase. I can see it being something useful for denying denial and contained but so is just moving one guy across the centre. Anyone experience this yet?