Let's Chat: Spiteclaw's Swarm

PlayerJ

I'm getting two boxes.  There are good cards in there for the other warbands and my gf plans to play them too, so we need doubles.  Besides,  we love the models and both want to paint them. 

She's Iooking forward to being able to indulge her sneaky side,  and I just want to zip around the board.

Super excited!

I feel like they might be underpowered.

They have less models than the Sepulchral Skellies, and the three different types of clanrat don't seem better than a 'footsoldier skelly'.

On top of that, they have less 'heroes' (4 vs 2), and have a less powerful resurrection mechanic. They are fast, but can that really make up for their pure flimsiness.

7 hours ago, S133arcanite said:

I feel like they might be underpowered.

They have less models than the Sepulchral Skellies, and the three different types of clanrat don't seem better than a 'footsoldier skelly'.

On top of that, they have less 'heroes' (4 vs 2), and have a less powerful resurrection mechanic. They are fast, but can that really make up for their pure flimsiness.

To me they look far from underpowered.

Starting at Peed 5 is huge. And their resurrection is far more powerful than the Skelli-one, respawning on enemy starting hexes with SPD 5 is awesome. And it is alost impossible to score Contained and Denial againts Skaven.

Their leader is one of the best in the game to me. A threatrange of 7 hexes is awesome, so is having a powerful range 2 attack in general. And he is easy to inspire, boosting him on DMG 3 with crit cleave and two defence dice. He is like the powerhouse-baby of Garrek and the Warden.

Clanrats are waaaaay better than petitioners. On par fighting wise but with speed 5 and better defence.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Red_Zeke said:

Wonder if misdirection will be a stronger ploy for Skaven? Redirect an enemy ploy to hit someone less important *and* inspire a fighter of your choice? Yes please.  Not sure if there's enough 'targeting' ploys out there yet, though.

I think misdirection will be nice for both skavens and chosen axes, more over and, as some people said, Cruel Taunt is going to be more useful. A FAQ may be needed: Can Cruel Taunt target a uninspired fighter? If it can, do you roll a dice? If you get a hammer or a critic, the uninspired fighter will be unable to get inspired?

5 hours ago, Hesa_First said:

To me they look far from underpowered.

Starting at Peed 5 is huge. And their resurrection is far more powerful than the Skelli-one, respawning on enemy starting hexes with SPD 5 is awesome. And it is alost impossible to score Contained and Denial againts Skaven.

Their leader is one of the best in the game to me. A threatrange of 7 hexes is awesome, so is having a powerful range 2 attack in general. And he is easy to inspire, boosting him on DMG 3 with crit cleave and two defence dice. He is like the powerhouse-baby of Garrek and the Warden.

Clanrats are waaaaay better than petitioners. On par fighting wise but with speed 5 and better defence.

I agree with you,  moreover double dodge plus ploys, or upgrade for the leader, to get on guard make them very hard to hit.

The clanrats will be resurrected with their upgrades,( demonic weapon etc.) on any hex with a great speed.

Unlike other bands, the skavens have weak basic attacks, inspired or not, but the game is about getting glory points. I wait to see the objective cards to decide if one band is underpowered.

I think some match up are going to be unbalanced, in the future may be the tournament will allow us to bring 2 or more bands and choose witch one we play  as  written in the rule book  ( p26 in the french edition).

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

With their "resurrection" ability working in the opponent's half will we be seeing less of contained and denial?

I hope so :-/
I for one will not miss their heavy impact on the meta.

Also notice "Confusion" will potentially upgrade two skaven for the price of one. Assuming you'd want to "waste" a movement manipulation card on this.

• Like 1

The real indicator of power will be if a Ploy exists for Skaven to resurrect a fighter, much like Restless Dead for Sepulchral Guard. I often don't find myself using the Resurrect ability on the Warden itself more than maybe once or twice per game. Across an event most of my rezes will be from Restless Dead. While Skaven have less models to activate, still burning an Activation on just putting one back can be quite tight in a game.

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

The real indicator of power will be if a Ploy exists for Skaven to resurrect a fighter, much like Restless Dead for Sepulchral Guard. I often don't find myself using the Resurrect ability on the Warden itself more than maybe once or twice per game. Across an event most of my rezes will be from Restless Dead. While Skaven have less models to activate, still burning an Activation on just putting one back can be quite tight in a game.

there is, in the white dwarf preview "There are always more" card

35 minutes ago, PlayerJ said:

Nvm, its was correct to only the second skaven chosen is inspired

None the less I think "Misdirection" will find it's way into my skaven deck.
You would still be able to not only disrupt your opponent's plans, but also inspire a fighter of your choice at the same time.

• Like 1