Chaos Dwarfs in AoS?

Ulgzhakar

I think I am not alone in being baffled by the End Times plot, as someone who came to AoS after the Old World ended.  I am trying to get a grasp for how the Chaos Dwarfs might be integrated into AoS without a retcon.

I have seen that orcs sacked the CD capital during the end times and that Gork/Mork defeated Hashut... but where was that written about in the official fluff?

I have also seen vague reference to current AoS fluff mentioning the Chaos Dwarfs.  Does anyone know of an actual example of this?

I have a few head cannons about how the Chaos Dwarfs came to be, but this isn't the place for them.

The only official piece of lore I know about is a short reference in the short story "Auction of Blood" by Josh Reynolds, a Tie-In to the Spear of Darkness Book. 

Not sure that they do, FW makes the miniatures but without a Battletome, or similar, then it's up to the player to decide just what their Legion of Azgorh actually represnts.

One concept is simply Dispossesed who tunnelled too deep into the earth and awoke foul entities who taught them secrets of forging their war machines. Another might be that they're a group of Khadron who were banished for pushing their inventions too far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gecktron said:

I have a few head cannons about how the Chaos Dwarfs came to be, but this isn't the place for them.

The only official piece of lore I know about is a short reference in the short story "Auction of Blood" by Josh Reynolds, a Tie-In to the Spear of Darkness Book. 

They're also mentioned in Legends of the Age of Sigmar: Black Rift and Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, shinros said:

They are also mentioned in one of the campaign books as well I think. That they built some of Archaon's fortresses. 

This. In the "All-gates" campaign book it's said they helped Archaon build Ironholds and such stuff.

Edited by Menkeroth

• 5 months later...

In AoS 2 there is also a mention of a twisted dwarf floating city Zharr Vyxa in Shyish. As for origin myths in AoS there is not much. However the age of myth was so long you can make your own. I have an ‘AoS origin myth’ up in Chaos dwarfs online 

chaos-dwarfs.com

don’t know how to do links sorry

have a look if yoi want or just make your owm

Forge World updated their Legions of Azghor fluff: "Twisted Duardin who sell their souls in service to Hashut, the Legion of Azgorh are infamous for the terror they spread across Aqshy the Realm of Fire.. Entrenched within a dread fortress built in the Ashcloud Mountains, they harbour utter contempt for all others. Man or beast; grot or monster – all fall before them, enslaved to fuel the Legion’s malevolent industry and sacrificial pyres. Masters of murderous war engines and unyielding iron, the realms tremble when the Legion of Azgorh marches forth."

They claim the Ashcloud Mountains in Aqshy as their home. Its unclear if thats just the basis of operations for the legions or the whole Dawi'Zharr race.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Uther the unhinged said:

Thanks Gecktron. Must have missed that. Dang, have to update my fluff now.

With Zharr Vyxa though I guess its not the whole twisted duardin race. Hopelly FW might give us new minis or at least a new aesthetic? Pirate death duardin?  We can but hope!

I got the feeling we will see more of the Chaos Dwarfs relativ soon. All the current Chaos Dwarfs warscrolls gained the Dawi Zharr keyword. Plus the introduction of Zharr Vyxa indicates that FW/GW want to expand the scope of the Chaos Dwarfs project. 

GW loves the concept of sub-factions at the moment. It would be easy to turn the legions of Azghor into a sub-faction (Zharr-Azghol??). Similar to the Kharadron Sky-ports (Barak/Zharr-Something). 

FW also said last year that they are building their own dedicated Age of Sigmar team. Maybe this new Warhammer Forge will be heralded by new Chaos Dwarfs?

A note on that earlier part about them helping Khorne by building the Dreadholds, they were confirmed on facebook to be the Furnace Kings that also took part in creating the black rift and making weapons for chaos up until the end of the season of hope where Order retook Aqshy and toppled their kingdom in the Furnace lands.

"The Furnace Kings are the rulers of the Bale-Furnace in the Realm of Fire. The Khorne Bloodbound paid homage to these kings for weapons and armors.[1]

The Black Rift is one of their creations, forged with warpfire and shaped by impossible tools."

"Volundr of Hesphut (from Spear of Shadows),

He was born a slave in the chattel-pens of the Furnace Kings who forged weapons and armour for the servants of the Dark Gods, before the Azyrites cast down the Bale-Furnace and scattered its rulers. Now he is assisted by large Gors, descendants of the Raxulian herds that had once haunted the crater rim of Klaxus."

AoS Core Book, p40:

Grand engines of destruction and skull-lined fortifications were raised upon the sites of shattered temples by corrupted, metal-masked duardin and the human work-gangs that toiled beneath their whips.

(my emphasis added)

So they seem to be not completely forgotten by GW.

If their capital was defeated during the end times that would be a smart move from gw as the fw models were never meant to represent Dwarfs from the city but rather the bastion that Drazoath led. So I assume any Chaos Dwarves left would more than likley be from the Black Fortress?

True Kronos. However in the mortal realms the LoA seems a late/r arrival with ‘furnace kings’ there first. Possibly the LoA is one on the ‘scatteted rulets’ of the bale furnace. Possibly Zharr Vyxa is also a survival of the furnace kings or an offshoot of an earlier common ancestor. As for Hashut will they ever tell us about him? 

The death of a God didn’t stop Morathi and her cult, mind you she is leeching his essence, rewards, prayers. Same goes for the Fyreslayers and Grimnir, and of course most recently the Idoneth and Mathlann. Chaos dwarves will be fine without Hashut.

Would be cool if their ehole premise was rebuilding their God, A brass bull as large as a God Beast that needs ever more slaves to construct.

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Kronos said:

The death of a God didn’t stop Morathi and her cult, mind you she is leeching his essence, rewards, prayers. Same goes for the Fyreslayers and Grimnir, and of course most recently the Idoneth and Mathlann. Chaos dwarves will be fine without Hashut.

Would be cool if their ehole premise was rebuilding their God, A brass bull as large as a God Beast that needs ever more slaves to construct.

Ooh, I love that idea. Would need to make sure it is disticnt fisting om what the fyreslayers are trying to do, but I think thats doable y adding in a lot of tyranny. What if instead of collecting a material, like ur-gold or the  shards of Khaine they are stealing little bits of divinity from other gods so that they desperate prayers of their slaves will empower Hashut instead?

• Like 1

I'd think since Hashut originally came from Khorne then maybe they would do something like take the blood and suffering of countless slaves and use it as a mold for different melted down realmstones to create the warped building blocks they'd need to rebuild their god?

• Like 2

There are loads of theories of where Hashut originally came from  They had a competition  on it over at chos-dwarfs online. But I do like the idea of bringing Hashut back to corporeal form. That would  fit with  my fluff nicely. However to fit with the whole soul wars theme then how about the wizened souls of prisoners fed to him in the soul pyres of his temples? Then at least Nagash could hate us for a good reason!

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t think the Chaos Dwarves should be after minerals to revive hashut, but instead they need slaves to build and their blood in tribute to their god, to empower him and bring him back. Billions upon billions of slaves needed in endless sacrifices and toiling around a the continent spanning construction of Hashut.