Let's Chat: Chosen Axes

Requizen

1 minute ago, lare2 said:

Picked up my axes today - first game scheduled for tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes ?

Just gonna run the standard deck and 3 random generic objectives to get a feel of them. 

Edited by lare2

On 3/21/2018 at 1:46 PM, PJetski said:

Who runs Shardfall?

Everyone? It's such a key, useful, flexible card. I've won games with it with various warbands many times.

It's on my short list of auto-includes in all decks.

Edited by Sleboda

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Everyone? It's such a key, useful, flexible card. I've won games with it with various warbands many times.

Its value goes up substantially when I'm running a warband that is looking to score objectives.  Otherwise it can get edged out if the only thing I'm holding it for is to deny the enemy something they may or may not care about.  But I think value def went up with the arrival of Skritch and Fjul.

20 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I would think to put it in a Stormcast or a Sepulchral Guard deck, not in a Orruk, Chosen Axes or a Reaver  one. There is better ploys for Skaven too i think.

Now, with all the great ploys that have been released, auto includes are no longer a good way to build a deck imo.  

Total noob here, hi everyone. 

I'm playing Dwarves basically because I wanted a war-band no-one else had or was playing in my group., which meant the dwarves. Upon mature reflection, a more aggressive, smash-first, ask questions later war-band (like them beafy Orks) may  have been a better fit for my playstyle but we already have 2 Ork players, so Dwarves.

I'm having problems with pretty much every aspect of the game but right now I'm pretty much stumped on set-up and Dwarf tactics. I feel that what I'm using now doesn't seem to be a winning proposition even though there's some thought behind it. Basically, my plan is to

- play long boards when I can, (to keep the 4-5 movement teams off me as much as possible),

- place objectives middle or front of my board and the dwarves 1-2 steps behind (to give me movement towards the enemy Warband while passing onto my Objectives at the end of the first activation phase.)

- Attack.

What I'm finding with this approach is that I can't really get 3 objectives in positions where I can use them because the board is too narrow. If I flip the board wide, I can fully implement this, but it puts me in range of opposing figs.

On the long board, inspiring only 2 figs is ok (Fjul & either one of Tefk or Vol) but I'm generally still left with 2 pairs of figs each with one inspired, one not, a mix that doesn't really allow for them to attack together in phases 2 & 3 (move range) unless I use my movement ploys on the non inspired figurines (essentially rushing the weaker guys into combat.)

Long boards also tend to create bottlenecks where I'm attacking into groups of fighters, makes ripostes very likely.  It's also very obvious where I'm going in phase one allowing opponents to place their figurines as a consequence.

So my questions about set-up are :

- Which board do you use, if you have the choice? How do you lay them out?

- Where do you place your 2 or 3 objectives and your Dwarves in relation to that board?

- Is there an aggressive Dwarf strategy that likes getting the objectives as a bonus but really doesn't count on having them to beat-down and how do you build that deck?

I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions after but that's t for now.

Thank you!!

I’m not sure I’m playing wisely, but I’ve had good success playing short board and deploying objectives and models aggressively.  Turn 1, I inspire 2-3 of my warband.  Then, depending on the board state, I try to get another 1 or 2 inspired while the first 2 beat face.

Fjul usually bites it because I use him as a brazen beat stick, but I’ve been winning so far.

Also, I usually pick the board with the most impassable terrain and make a 3-hex choke point if I have my say.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:07 AM, Zimagic said:

I'm generally still left with 2 pairs of figs each with one inspired, one not,

Consider yourself either lucky or a tactical genius if you are managing to inspire more than one dwarf every few games, let alone more than one per game.

Edited by Sleboda

8 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Consider yourself either lucky or a tactical genius if your area managing to inspire more than one dwarf every few games, let alone more than one per game.

? Thanks! I'm the only one playing earthquake or any movement ploys though, so it's not as impressive as it sounds.

Recent games have been better but my combat dice rolls are still pretty horrible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, Chosen Axes don't auto-stink! ?

I've been having a serious string of good fortune with them lately, scoring 12+ glory regularly, even against Skaven.

Maybe it's because they are finally fully painted. ?

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 2

Spectral Wing and Flickering Step can help but Inspiration Strikes and Mischievous Spirits are real good for this band.

Inspiration Stikes is quite obviously a auto include. Mischievous Spirits may not save our Supremacy after an Earthquake or Great Concussion but can let your 2 of 3 of your models keeping objective almost no matter what.

I don't think that Orruk's specific ploys can make a difference in front of Magore's Fiends: the new Khorne band is just better. Once inspired, Chosen Axes in other hand still have stats challenging the bloodwarriors one's.

12 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Good news, Chosen Axes don't auto-stink! ?

I've been having a serious string of good fortune with them lately, scoring 12+ glory regularly, even against Skaven.

Maybe it's because they are finally fully painted. ?

Other than paint, what do you feel turned your thinking from being so down on them? 

23 minutes ago, Red_Zeke said:

Other than paint, what do you feel turned your thinking from being so down on them? 

I've practiced a lot. 

Refined board and objective placement.

Really, really honed my deck for rapid fire scoring that builds on successes.

Better use of the fighters.

And, being honest, my opponents refuse to take advantage of all the pushes available to them. ?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Just wanted to report that I'm still having great success with these guys. Winning most games with an average score of 15-5.

Moving on to the Fiends soon, but I'm enjoying these little fellas.

What does your deck consist of? I feel the recent sets have added very usable cards for dwarves. Inspiration strikes is obvious, hidden paths can be great to help get your fighters into enemy territory, spectral wings is a great speed buff, Great concussion and mischievous spirits can both help land you on objectives. With shifting shards and mischievous spirits you can also help get your fighters into fighting range as well as on objectives at the same time. My turn also seems good to move and attack out of activation.

The only problem I find is keeping close to a 20 card deck...  

15 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

What does your deck consist of?

I will list my deck here, but first it's important to get into the ideas supporting it.

1. Minimize the number of hexes between the two boards.  That means long board (short sides touching) or short boards shifted as much as possible.
  2. Choose a board arrangement (if possible) that puts impassible hexes near the spot where boards meet.
  3. Have at least two objectives that can be reached by at least two fighter each.
  4. Put your objectives near the middle, with one of them a hex or two into enemy territory.
  5. Don't panic if you don't Inspire.  Getting Glory early is more important so that you can Upgrade.
  6. Always look for ways to achieve multiple Objectives in one Action (Charge-kill (+1) with your Leader (+1) with an Attack that is more than needed to kill (+1) = 4 Glory including the kill itself).  This also cycles your Objectives very quickly, which is great.

Now, the deck:

Objectives

• Alone in the Darkness (happens a lot in Round 1, and often in Round 3 as well)
  • Crushing Force (combo!)
  • Escalation (if you are not seeing this happen almost every game, you are not playing this deck correctly)
  • Defensive Strike (combo and a great incentive to "retreat" into your territory to kill a dude without "wasting" gained ground)
  • Flawless Strategy
  • Victory After Victory (awesome to chain with Flawless and an immediate or two)
  • Chosen Champion (see Escalation)
  • Master of War (a gimme)
  • Ferocious Charge (combo!)
  • Superior Tatician (easier than you might think)
  • No Remorse (combo!)
  • Scion of Grimnir (combo!)

Upgrades

• Sprinter
  • Solid Stance(for board control if nothing else)
  • Trusted Defender
  • A Destiny to Meet (Fjul + Chosen Champion, so why not?)
  • Grimnir's Speed
  • Activated Runes
  • Grimnir's Fortitude
  • Great Strength
  • Shadeglass Dagger
  • Great Speed
  • Awakened Weapon

Ploys

• Flickering Step
  • Oathsworn
  • My Turn
  • Distraction
  • The Earth Shakes
  • Tantalizing Prize
  • Treasure-lust
  • Earthquake
  • Inspiration Strikes
  • Shardfall (the most versatile, useful card in the game, in my opinion - never play without it)
  • Piercing Stare (because it's fun to stare at a model with one eyebrow raised)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Ploys

• Flickering Step
  • Oathsworn
  • My Turn
  • Distraction
  • The Earth Shakes
  • Tantalizing Prize
  • Treasure-lust
  • Earthquake
  • Inspiration Strikes
  • Shardfall (the most versatile, useful card in the game, in my opinion - never play without it)

Hi, don't you think that Spectral Wings is better than Tantalizing Prize? I would pick Side Step instead of Distraction: you can push your fighter away from charge or on an objective and that is great for the Chosen axes. I think Mischievous Spirits is a great card for this band: an Earthquake can counter an Earthquake, but Mischievous Spirits  can help you to inspire one or two models even after a Great Concussion.

That was my 2 cents.

Edited by Biboune

5 hours ago, Biboune said:

Hi, don't you think that Spectral Wings is better than Tantalizing Prize? I would pick Side Step instead of Distraction: you can push your fighter away from charge or on an objective and that is great for the Chosen axes. I think Mischievous Spirits is a great card for this band: an Earthquake can counter an Earthquake, but Mischievous Spirits  can help you to inspire one or two models even after a Great Concussion.

That was my 2 cents.

Also isnt great concussion strictly better than earthquake? GC can do the exact same thing as earthquake right, with a lot more options on top?

I've been using Earthquake as a surprise. Line up my fighters to move onto objectives, line up theirs to move off of them. Use Earthquake to do it all at once in one direction.

My record over the last 21 games is 17-4.

Edited by Sleboda

45 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I've been using Earthquake as a surprise. Line up my fighters to move onto objectives, line up theirs to move off of them. Use Earthquake to do it all at once in one direction.

My record over the last 21 games is 17-4.

My question is can't Great Concussion do the exact same thing except better? can't you pick a hex and move everyone 1 hex away in the same direction? But you would also have way more options with Great Concussion. Unless I'm missing something.

On 4/27/2018 at 3:07 PM, Sleboda said:

I will list my deck here, but first it's important to get into the ideas supporting it.

1. Minimize the number of hexes between the two boards.  That means long board (short sides touching) or short boards shifted as much as possible.
  2. Choose a board arrangement (if possible) that puts impassible hexes near the spot where boards meet.
  3. Have at least two objectives that can be reached by at least two fighter each.
  4. Put your objectives near the middle, with one of them a hex or two into enemy territory.
  5. Don't panic if you don't Inspire.  Getting Glory early is more important so that you can Upgrade.
  6. Always look for ways to achieve multiple Objectives in one Action (Charge-kill (+1) with your Leader (+1) with an Attack that is more than needed to kill (+1) = 4 Glory including the kill itself).  This also cycles your Objectives very quickly, which is great.

Now, the deck:

Objectives

• Alone in the Darkness (happens a lot in Round 1, and often in Round 3 as well)
  • Crushing Force (combo!)
  • Escalation (if you are not seeing this happen almost every game, you are not playing this deck correctly)
  • Defensive Strike (combo and a great incentive to "retreat" into your territory to kill a dude without "wasting" gained ground)
  • Flawless Strategy
  • Victory After Victory (awesome to chain with Flawless and an immediate or two)
  • Chosen Champion (see Escalation)
  • Master of War (a gimme)
  • Ferocious Charge (combo!)
  • Superior Tatician (easier than you might think)
  • No Remorse (combo!)
  • Scion of Grimnir (combo!)

Upgrades

• Sprinter
  • Solid Stance(for board control if nothing else)
  • Trusted Defender
  • A Destiny to Meet (Fjul + Chosen Champion, so why not?)
  • Grimnir's Speed
  • Activated Runes
  • Grimnir's Fortitude
  • Great Strength
  • Shadeglass Dagger
  • Great Speed
  • Awakened Weapon

Ploys

• Flickering Step
  • Oathsworn
  • My Turn
  • Distraction
  • The Earth Shakes
  • Tantalizing Prize
  • Treasure-lust
  • Earthquake
  • Inspiration Strikes

I do like your list very much and I want to steal it and make some tweaks of my own. I really like the style. I want to cut it down though to 20 power cards.

12 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

My question is can't Great Concussion do the exact same thing except better? can't you pick a hex and move everyone 1 hex away in the same direction? But you would also have way more options with Great Concussion. Unless I'm missing something.

Not quite the same options. You'll have to be particular about where you place the "blast" whereas with Earthquake there is no such concern.

They both have their benefits, though.

Edited by Sleboda