40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- Pestilens Battleline
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
- Eshin Battleline

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 262

Gonna run with this excessive horde tomorrow ;) drown the opponent (fyreslayers) in rats.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everybody,

you know how many people say clanrats are one of the worst units in the whole game?

well I can tell you this much, they are definitely not.

i tried a new tournament list which consisted out of a Skaven warlord 240clanrats, 80Giant rats and 2 Plague Priest with censer, against a friend who was preparing for a Tournament in Germany with his Ironjaws.

so since I was the last one, who finished deploying every units (which probably makes sense having to deploy 11 units and not being able to use any kind of formation?), my opponent chose me to go first, so what I did was to literally move everything up into the middle and just wait for those star to fall onto the battlefield.

Well the first turn for the Ironjaws was to charge my army , which was a big success for them, his Bigboss on Mawcrusha as well as his Goregruntas managed to slaughter almost a whole unit of clanrats. Luckily one made it alife and thanks to the warlords inspiring presence, it did not flee. 

Next what happened, is that my skaven army good lucky and denied the dopple turn for the Ironjaws.

my skaven moved forward engaged into Battle and started to slaughter not only his big boss on Bigfoot (mawcrusha) but also halve of his army.

on his turn he got his 10man unit of Ardboys as well as his Brutes into the frame slaughtering, halve of my giant rats, and some clanrats .

but his luck didn’t ran out  yet, and so Mork (or Gork?) Gave  him a nother chance, by giving him the  dopple turn, with it he slaughtered almost all of my remaining giant rats and 27 rats (which was the whole unit gone).

in my third round, I controlled all objectifs and overran  his remaining hero’s (2warchanters) an his Ardboys.

with only some 3-4of his ten man unit of Brutes standing, he ceded.

Ps: I’m wery sorry for my unpainted miniatures (but yeah painting 240clanrats is a little bit tiring) 

49D959B2-1677-4B05-84FA-71CC92728533.jpeg

18F1CE8C-743C-471D-A030-3FB49BF333B4.jpeg

B01EE24C-A4A1-4A28-8B16-B8960703C903.jpeg

3220D022-BDA0-420C-9842-5D75BFF54879.jpeg

B3AE234D-87CF-4C53-A7FA-28116033A972.jpeg

F66B877C-424B-48E5-B580-45F59E93FEFE.jpeg

AB644C20-D56A-43ED-AA1C-D063FCC1224D.jpeg

82A9B049-EA26-4D2E-879B-A83AB7E84968.jpeg

395CE547-651C-42CE-9948-74769CFCB387.jpeg

56A6B178-E964-4C61-9097-CDC22F5D3E0E.jpeg

70D2E9F8-B3C5-4DA2-9C71-F5FCC195D730.jpeg

A407E425-1480-4FDE-98E8-DA602AB515F2.jpeg

112A9F65-E22F-4F6B-BC92-46C1BEC570F5.jpeg

A0A3128B-DD61-4491-ABDC-0EBCBCF26D4F.jpeg

F32FB493-DD17-46D2-8AC1-2BA5275DE6B5.jpeg

56974BEB-8CB9-4B0F-8D43-17B4B69736C6.jpeg

DB97956E-A1A0-4927-9F26-C4B87B9A6614.jpeg

Sadly, my opponent didn't show :( the vermintide has been postponed. Got to try out x-wing (skaven style - hordes of cheap ships swarming the opponent) though, so not a complete loss.

@Skreech Verminking - great report :D I'm glad to see the much beloved clanrats tear down bigger foes with such ferocity. A greatly underestimated unit, I think ;)

How have the giant rats been treating ya?

8 hours ago, Mayple said:

Sadly, my opponent didn't show :( the vermintide has been postponed. Got to try out x-wing (skaven style - hordes of cheap ships swarming the opponent) though, so not a complete loss.

@Skreech Verminking - great report :D I'm glad to see the much beloved clanrats tear down bigger foes with such ferocity. A greatly underestimated unit, I think ;)

Well funny that you asked,

they gnawed about 6Goregruntas to death before  most of them died through some Brutes.

And yes clanrats are really underestimated by most players,  but buffing  them just a little bit up with some extra attacks and bonuses for the to wound role and hit role, you’ll be able to literally tear through any foe in your way.

This vermintide strategy does look promising!

Personally though, I don't think I'll invest in that many clanrats until we get a Verminus allegiance or some battallions. I feel that the potential of this strategy is still unfulfilled, compared for example to a Pestilens army with hundreds of plague monks, buffs, synergies, allegiance abilities and so on.

Come on GW, give us some bone to pick!

37 minutes ago, Num said:

This vermintide strategy does look promising!

Personally though, I don't think I'll invest in that many clanrats until we get a Verminus allegiance or some battallions. I feel that the potential of this strategy is still unfulfilled, compared for example to a Pestilens army with hundreds of plague monks, buffs, synergies, allegiance abilities and so on.

Come on GW, give us some bone to pick!

Yeah but have you ever heard of a person who used at least 200rats or miniatures in a tournament?

24 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah but have you ever heard of a person who used at least 200rats or miniatures in a tournament?

At Call to Glory Cancon 2018: Thomas H. finished place 33 with a Moulder allegiance list consisting in:

Packmaster (80) - General - Herding Whip & Thing Catcher - Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Packmaster (80) - Herding Whip & Blade - Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Packmaster ( 80)- Shock-Prod
Plague Priest with Plague Censer(80)
Plague Priest with Plague Censer(80)
Warlock Engineer (100)
40 x Giant Rats (200)
40 x Giant Rats (200)
40 x Giant Rats (200)
40 x Giant Rats (200)
40 x Giant Rats (200)
3 x Stormfiends (300)

Total: 1800 / 2000

8 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Surprise Attack against army’s which are mostly made to destroy heavy hitting army’s and not hordes ????

The true Skaven way ;)

16 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

This mirrors my thinking on the dot. We can either wait for others, often top ten tournament players, to show us that it can be done - or we go out and see for ourselves. My personal estimation on a vermintide performance against 'tournament filth' puts us, in my mind, at an advantage against a lot of things that aren't a Khorne horde or heavy-hitting stormcast, and maybe even then.

We can lose so much, but still take objectives. Combined with the ability to suddently turn weak clanrats into killing machines (at a glance, not too scary due to no rend, and yet..) - and superior mobility, we have a lot of strengths that work around the spine of the game: i.e: movement, objective capturing, tankyness (through numbers), and killing potential. What we lack is whatever additional strategies we could employ with an allegiance ability and such, but even without that we can get work done :) at this point my curiosity regards 'how can we lose with this?' With more interest than 'how can we win with it?' :D (not to suggest that it is broken, of course. Merely usable.)

As for Verminus. My own motivation for mustering the hordes this early, as I am sure Skreech does too, is in preparation of things to come. It is not unlikely that skaven receive -something- in the new generals handbook, and hordes of clanrats will surely be useful in such instance ;)

17 hours ago, Mayple said:

I've had great fun with 30 giant rats in a 1K Moulder list with friends. So much board control and so very skaveny. The financial costs are the biggest drawback. And if you get them undamaged into 1 or 2 units on the charge they wreak considerable havoc in my (limited) experience. And the look on your opponents face when it happens... priceless ;) 

Dudes,my dudes. I just found out I want skaven. Gather around and hear my story:

Couple of weeks ago I was asked by a friend to take care of their hamster while their were on holidays.  

It was an old one, 2.5 years old, and so very grumpy...

I instantly loved her, and now my heart is broken because she passed away.

But her legacy will continue! Fifi shall bring the down fall of civilization!

Where is that damn spire of dawn set! I need clan rats!!!

received_1746176558775001.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Sorry but  that’s something I cannot do, after all I’m still playing the old 8th edition fantasy version ?, next to aos and 40k.

and secondly, it will be a real pain buying over five hundred round bases?

Shattered dominion is my go to source for rebasing vast quantities of clanrats :) if you find yourself wanting/needing to rebase in the future, I strongly reccommend that line. Makes everything easier ;)

At least in the absence of GW repackaging.

Me I have a wargaming shop down the street with a laser woodcutting machine. They do round bases at 0.1€ each and they can even magnetize them. Its printed in a few minutes so I just go there when I need some and the deal is done :)

On 17.4.2018 at 12:23 AM, Sete said:

Dudes,my dudes. I just found out I want skaven. Gather around and hear my story:

Couple of weeks ago I was asked by a friend to take care of their hamster while their were on holidays.  

It was an old one, 2.5 years old, and so very grumpy...

I instantly loved her, and now my heart is broken because she passed away.

But her legacy will continue! Fifi shall bring the down fall of civilization!

Where is that damn spire of dawn set! I need clan rats!!!

Best reason to play Skaven, ever, ever ever.

I'm slowly getting convinced by your vermintide strategies with hundreds of rats guys.

But what are the drawbacks? How can it get beaten?

I feel like even with my skyre list with 8 mortars I could not find the tools to deal with 200+ rats damage- or objective-wise

They can't get killed, can't get outmanoeuvred, can't get outnumbered... They can be made useless but, even then, I'm not sure that would be enough to win on objectives

2 hours ago, Num said:

I'm slowly getting convinced by your vermintide strategies with hundreds of rats guys.

I feel like even with my skyre list with 8 mortars I could not find the tools to deal with 200+ rats damage- or objective-wise

They can't get killed, can't get outmanoeuvred, can't get outnumbered... They can be made useless but, even then, I'm not sure that would be enough to win on objectives

This is pretty much the ongoing question at this point ;) Knowing our hard counters is incredibly usefull, but I can't think of many things that can actually beat the Vermintide to death at this point. The Verminlord corruptor's spell is notable since we use multiple blobs, but even then.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, Kramer said:

I've had great fun with 30 giant rats in a 1K Moulder list with friends. So much board control and so very skaveny. The financial costs are the biggest drawback. And if you get them undamaged into 1 or 2 units on the charge they wreak considerable havoc in my (limited) experience. And the look on your opponents face when it happens... priceless ;) 

I'm using 40 of them using the 8-10 (can't remember how many) inside the PlagueMonks boxed set. I know they are a little smaller, but they works enough for the purpose 

On 23/04/2018 at 2:05 PM, Num said:

Well playing against an horde of Bloodletters and 1Bloodsecrator, would be considerable tough for even an Hordish skaven army ?

1 hour ago, Cerve said:

I'm using 40 of them using the 8-10 (can't remember how many) inside the PlagueMonks boxed set. I know they are a little smaller, but they works enough for the purpose 

Yeah, I saw someone else do the same. All loose rats from all kits. It works perfectly fine in my opinion. The metal models had only 5 or 6 sculpts so the diversity is only good. 

On 23-4-2018 at 2:05 PM, Num said:

What about daughters of khaine? Granted I haven’t played above 1K yet (with DoK) but 20 ladies on the buffed charge bring an awful load of attacks with decent stats. The question would be who positions better for the round following that. Would be a cool match up.

Archived