5 hours ago, Kugane said:

Even if multiples, I think in general we are only running like 3 or 4 verminus units max. So the odds of all of those being in combat at the same time are already too good to be true lol. So perhaps the extra "50" cost for the swarm and the extra cost for skritch is for that effect :P. Regardless really hoping to get that clawpack back asap.

I can imagine at least the following scenario working with Skritch:

A unit of stormvermins is supported by a warp grinder. Trying to tunnel them in:

- failure -> skritch buffs some other unit

- success -> skritch moves or runs to be in range for a buff

It works as well with the warpgnaw verminlord or other teleporting effects.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Num said:

I can imagine at least the following scenario working with Skritch:

A unit of stormvermins is supported by a warp grinder. Trying to tunnel them in:

- failure -> skritch buffs some other unit

- success -> skritch moves or runs to be in range for a buff

It works as well with the warpgnaw verminlord or other teleporting effects.

I think that sounds about right. Probably for flexibility sake in that case.

15 hours ago, Num said:

May I ask what verminus lists are you currently playing folks?

And have you theory crafted any with a spiteclaw swarm in it?

Cheers

So far I haven't really included Spiteclaw in any list yet, however, there is kind of a "skeleton" for most Verminus lists.

At the moment is more beneficial to run grand alliance chaos instead of verminus (no abilities), so generally speaking 440 to 600 points are for a 40-20-20 Clanrats set up, or, you could go 40-20 set up + some cheap battleline like reavers.

I personally think that a Skaven Warlord on Broodhorror is a bit of a must for the bravery for your clanrats, and then you have 2 General options: You either get a beefy big general, like a verminlord or you get a grey seer to stop rats from running in battleshock. Grey seer helps with consistency, but CAN get sniped, while verminlords tend to have the distraction element to begin with, so generally running 1 Verminlord kind of takes away fire off your grey seer.

I personally like to get a Chaos Sorcerer in for the buffs it can give any unit to have it sit in the back to buff Jezzails, or simply buff giant groups of clanrats.

I personally think with a Chaos Sorcerer + Spiteclaw's new command ability that big blocks of clanrats can get quite scary. I'm considering upsizing my clanrats to 3x 40 and utilizing Spiteclaw and a Chaos sorcerer. Perhaps a Warpgnaw verminlord and a warpgrinder to teleport a unit of clanrats across the field into position to attack. 

Stormfiends are a great tech choice, so are warplightning cannons.

Right now, because we have no real rules, I feel like there is no way to really go wrong in list building, as long as you stick with 'good' units such as warplightning cannons, jezzails, stormfiends and such.

But how do you manage to squeeze all this in a list? :D Or perhaps without stormvermins?

Also I still didn't get Skritch's command ability. Can it buff all attacking units in the combat phase or just one? Is it just our combat phase, or also the opponent's?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Num said:

But how do you manage to squeeze all this in a list? :D Or perhaps without stormvermins?

Also I still didn't get Skritch's command ability. Can it buff all attacking units in the combat phase or just one? Is it just our combat phase, or also the opponent's?

Cheers

Oh my! Good question that made me re-read it. It works in 'the' combat phase (your own, or your opponents) which is neat. It lasts until the end of the phase.

The wording does lead me to believe it triggers every time a verminus unit attacks within 13'', and not just once, but I will err on the side of caution until it has been clarified. 

Stormvermin are only ever really worth it if you have a plan for them. Of course, if Spiteclaw works the way we hope.. things change quite a bit.

22 hours ago, Mayple said:

Oh my! Good question that made me re-read it. It works in 'the' combat phase (your own, or your opponents) which is neat. It lasts until the end of the phase.

The wording does lead me to believe it triggers every time a verminus unit attacks within 13'', and not just once, but I will err on the side of caution until it has been clarified. 

Stormvermin are only ever really worth it if you have a plan for them. Of course, if Spiteclaw works the way we hope.. things change quite a bit.

Still a trade of between 40 Storm vermin vs like 100 Clanrats at almost similar cost ><.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, Mayple said:

This will need to be FAQed. A Command Ability that can be used outside of your own Hero Phase is unprecedented (iirc) and undocumented. How does it interracts with other Abilities? What if I use Inspiring Presence in my hero phase? 

Per the rulesheets: "In your hero phase, your general can use one command ability. All generals have the Inspiring Presence command ability, and some may have more on their warscroll."

Does using Inspiring Presence in your hero phase prenvent you from using Gnash-Gnaw on their Bones! in a different phase? Are we still limited to 1 Command Ability for the turn or for the hero phase only? Does it ignore the before mentionned Command Ability rules because it's not in the Hero Phase and we can activate it multiple time in a single combat phase? Typical GW with vague and shady wording.

As for my Verminus list, I have been running lately 3 x 40 Clanrats, 1 x 30 Stormvermins, Grey Seer, Verminlord Warbringer, Warlock Engineer, 1 Warplightning cannon and 6 Jezzails

My local store manager interpreted the ability as one that applies in any combat phase (mine or others) and to any verminus attacking unit at 13".

So that's how I'm going to play Skritch in my local store unless a FAQ starts saying otherwise :D

Hope it will apply to your stores too because that seems ideal!

PS: we used the rules in French but both English and French warscrolls have the exact same nuances from my understanding of them

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

Does GW have a facebook thingy, or perhaps an email we could ask about this? It's such a vital piece of information for Verminus players. 

I've emailed standard support who redirected me to the rules support email but I haven't received any response. I've seen similar questions being asked on their Facebook with no response either. I suppose GW waits for the FAQ to bring a unified response.

What do you think of this draft "buff/debuff" list with Skritch?

Heroes

Skritch Spiteclaw (general / Great Drestroyer) + Spiteclaw swarm - 150pts

Screaming Bell (Daemon waepon) - 200pts

Verminlord Warbringer - 300pts

Chaos Sorcerer Lord - 160pts

Plague Priest with plague censer - 80pts

Units

40x clanrats - 200pts

20x clanrats - 120pts

20x clanrats - 120pts

10x stormvermins - 140 pts

10x stormvermins - 140 pts

2x Warp lightning cannons - 360

The Verminus rats are the real damage dealers here. They fear battleshock but who is going to target mere clanrats when they have double cannons, screaming bells or verminlords chilling around?

I can totally imagine the pure craziness of the bell ringing an extra attack for everyone! 4-attacks stormvermins and 3-attacks clanrats buffed by sorcerer lord, plague priest and warbgrinder...

What do you think?

30 minutes ago, Num said:

What do you think of this draft "buff/debuff" list with Skritch?

The Verminus rats are the real damage dealers here. They fear battleshock but who is going to target mere clanrats when they have double cannons, screaming bells or verminlords chilling around?

I can totally imagine the pure craziness of the bell ringing an extra attack for everyone! 4-attacks stormvermins and 3-attacks clanrats buffed by sorcerer lord, plague priest and warbgrinder...

What do you think?

I think replacing the two Stormvermin units will net you another 80 clanrats. Which will be way more useful ;)

Edit: otherwise I support the direction. Hard to comment on a Skritch list when we still don't know how it works. The number of heroes are great though.

On 15-2-2018 at 7:45 PM, Mayple said:

I think replacing the two Stormvermin units will net you another 80 clanrats. Which will be way more useful ;)

Edit: otherwise I support the direction. Hard to comment on a Skritch list when we still don't know how it works. The number of heroes are great though.

After some long hours crafting the ultimate tactic to give our rats more bravery, I present to you the (partial) answer:

5a8ca7a9ebb26_screamingbellonbalewindvortex.png.7fe3645ccdc1e0ce527c7f4c1f09e649.png

The perfect general for any Verminus force. Painting my vortex tomorrow or so and will post actual pictures with the screaming bell on top. That vortex is surprisingly big when I built it.

Skritch's command ability has been nerfed already... But it had me thinking to use him as a leader that sits in the back while other warlords are out fighting.

image.png.ebbc327634c3a85b568f6f3871b3b2f6.png

Anyways, I got my Balewind Vortex all painted up and have ordered a Broodhorror from FW. Thinking to run these similar lists:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders

Screaming Bell (200) - General OR Grey Seer (120) + 20 extra Clanrats OR Skritch + Gutter Runners

Skaven Warlord on Brood Horror (220)

Arch Warlock (140)

Verminlord Deceiver (320)

Skaven Assassin (100) - Weeping Blades

Units

40 x Clanrats (200) -Rusty Spear

20 x Clanrats (120) -Rusty Spear

20 x Clanrats (120) -Rusty Spear

3 x Stormfiends (300)

War Machines

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Scenery Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 3/4 Artillery: 1/4

Balewind Vortex for the bell, arch warlock or grey seer.

Not sure about the stormfiends anymore. I might cut them and get another Warlord in.

Use the Verminlord Deceiver to put pressure wherever needed, teleport the Arch-Warlock with an Assassin inside.

9 hours ago, Kugane said:

Arch-Warlock with an Assassin inside.

That looks painful O.o

Where did you find the Skritch nerf? I couldn't find it on games' website. That would be disappointing but its also the opportunity to design new strategies as rules evolve :) as you suggest, skritch could set camp behind, protecting the cannons and buffing his warlord underlings out on the field.

As for the list, it looks nasty! But is the balewind really worth it for anything besides the warlock?

The Grey seer and bell spells are not that great. The bell is already visible enough. And I'm not sure that balewind buffs the range of the peel of doom, does it? If it does, then it might be worth it (in a kroak kind of way)

2 hours ago, Num said:

That looks painful O.o

Where did you find the Skritch nerf? I couldn't find it on games' website. That would be disappointing but its also the opportunity to design new strategies as rules evolve :) as you suggest, skritch could set camp behind, protecting the cannons and buffing his warlord underlings out on the field.

As for the list, it looks nasty! But is the balewind really worth it for anything besides the warlock?

The Grey seer and bell spells are not that great. The bell is already visible enough. And I'm not sure that balewind buffs the range of the peel of doom, does it? If it does, then it might be worth it (in a kroak kind of way)

I found it on the Azyr app when redownloading the "latest" warscroll for him. I saw that the mourngul got nerfed, so went to check if anything else changed. I think with the nerf it makes the warlord on brood horror even better, because Spiteclaw can cast the ability on a unit of clanrats with a broodhorror accompanying them, and at the same time the deceiver can scoot him across the field to attack wherever he's needed.

I don't think it is a nerf at all :) It wasn't guaranteed that his previous ability affected multiple targets, and this new one is better than a normal warlord's in every way. I'm glad they fixed it, since the previous wording was rubbish. 

Now we have a reason to bring several warlords. Finally. 

And Spiteclaw can truly lead from the back, making our general more safe, which justifies not using a verminlord for the extra wounds :D I can work with this.

11 hours ago, Mayple said:

I don't think it is a nerf at all :) It wasn't guaranteed that his previous ability affected multiple targets, and this new one is better than a normal warlord's in every way. I'm glad they fixed it, since the previous wording was rubbish. 

Now we have a reason to bring several warlords. Finally. 

And Spiteclaw can truly lead from the back, making our general more safe, which justifies not using a verminlord for the extra wounds :D I can work with this.

Can't wait for that brood horror to arrive! Also going to paint 20 to 40 more clanrats this week. I might drop some stormfiends in favour of warlords :D 

On 2/20/2018 at 2:57 PM, Kugane said:

After some long hours crafting the ultimate tactic to give our rats more bravery, I present to you the (partial) answer:

5a8ca7a9ebb26_screamingbellonbalewindvortex.png.7fe3645ccdc1e0ce527c7f4c1f09e649.png

The perfect general for any Verminus force. Painting my vortex tomorrow or so and will post actual pictures with the screaming bell on top. That vortex is surprisingly big when I built it.

lol I would love to see that but isnt the bell a 'monster'?

Archived