Moonclan Spider Army

Hot Peanut

Hi there,

I am just thinking about a new army and thought about mixing moonclan with spiderfang. So do you think this would be a viable army:

Allegiance: Destruction
Grot Warboss (120)
- General
- Git Cuttas
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Grot Spider Riders (400)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
Colossal Squig (300)
Squig Gobba (140)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

Thx for you feedback.

I want to suggest that the 20 grots have bows, you're already overloading your combat priority and you won't be making use of the 20+ to wound anyway.

As an extension of that swapping one unit and shaman to gitmob will let you use sneaky stabbing with the bow attacks and bring you down to 960 for the triumph roll.

1 hour ago, Hot Peanut said:

Yes I am aware of that, maybe I will put some more Spiders in it and use the Big Boss on the Gigantic Spider...

You have a unit of 20 spider riders, if you swap one unit of moonclan to gitmob you should have enough points to swap the boss for a spider boss no?

Ok so at the moment I have this list:

Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas
40 x Moonclan Grots (260)
6 x Grot Fanatics (200)
Colossal Squig (300)
Squig Gobba (140)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 155

The spider riders are nice with the Big Boss on Gigantic Spider, also the Gitmobs have a settled place in the army. I am no sure about the Moonclan  Grots with Fanatics,

they are some kind of loose there, I formed a unit of 40 grots to get the +2 to wounds, but I am not sure if this is the right choice...

ohh you are rigth... then I have:

Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)
- General
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas

3 x Grot Fanatics (100)

3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
Colossal Squig (300)
Squig Gobba (140)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 155

but are unbuffed moonclan grot units viable?

Tanky Stuff would be the Arachnarok and the colossal Squigg and I think that should be good

I play mixed Spiderfang + Moonclan, and had to change my list whlst building it due to lack of tankiness, its a big problem. 

Basically you want to put yourself in the shoes of your opponent, and think about what units you are best off attacking first. If you have a bunch of squishy expensive units then they will all die fast. 

Your coll. squig is gunna die in turn 2 after he charges in, thats his job so its fine. Your 20 spider riders are super vulnerable to battleshock so you need units that can protect them somehow. Your little grot units will crumble if even slightly attacked (bravery 4). Your arachnarok will be useful but even that goes down fast if focused.

Unbuffed grots run away in droves in battleshock phase, but are decent versus ranged attacks. In combat they need at least mystic shield, but ideally inspiring presence. Bellowing Tyrant is good for spider riders. Inspiring presence + mystic shield is godly on 60 grots. 

I like to anticipate whats going to happen and either arrange my troops defensively or offensively - if defensive then 60 grots protect the vulnerable stuff with inspiring presence on them, plus fanatics to intercept nasty charges (always use TWO units of fanatics when doing intercepts). If offensive, spider god command ability on the spider riders, plus mystic shield, plus bellowing tyrant, running grot units alongside ready to release fanatics on opponents next turn. Plus 2 arachnaroks thrown in for added slaughter. Oh and run the spider general behind them, keeping in 8'' of all spider units. Arachnaroks can give LOS blocking. 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stoneklaw's Gutstompas

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Battered Talisman
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)

Battleline
- Spiderfang Battleline
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- Stabbas & Moon Shields

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 168

Sorry I'm kinda hijacking the thread a little here, would something like that work and would you take bows or shields on the moonclan, I was tempted to take one set with bows and one with stabbas and shields? Would you put the artefact on the general or the arachnarok?

26 minutes ago, Malakree said:
  Hide contents

Sorry I'm kinda hijacking the thread a little here, would something like that work and would you take bows or shields on the moonclan, I was tempted to take one set with bows and one with stabbas and shields? Would you put the artefact on the general or the arachnarok?

I think bows on moonclan is a good choice if they  are just 20, although I've not tried it. I've often wished I had bows though, as I mostly retreat them whenever fighting occurs anyway; you don't choose goblins if you want to win a fight!

I've experimented with artifacts on both general and arachnarok, and both works. If you are having just 1 arachnarok then the talisman is a good shout as it will be a target for mortal wounds. I prefer putting talisman on the general though as he provides tons of buffs and is needed alive. For arachnaroks the hammerblade is fantastic if you throw it forward as a distraction, and keep your other guys away from the friendly-fire! 

Better still the wild fury trait on the general is great IF you choose arachnarok as general, but I only do that for 1k lists. 

6 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I really want Moonclan bows to at least be decent but you're looking at something like 2 wounds on average for a unit of 20.  They are really poor IMO.  Definitely something that I hope gets reviewed for a future battletome.  For small units I think stabbas and shields are the best option currently.

If you use them to fight! For objective holders or hanging around preventing deepstrikes, may as well be bows. I'm confident we'll get bonus rules for retreating at some point so even more reason to invest in bows.

(But I'm a massive hypocrite and have 100 spear goblins and zero bows) 

I've been converting spider riders to Moonclan bodies and working on an Arachnarok conversion. I'm using one large group of spider riders (20) with a Boss on a giant spider and the Arachnarok. Going to use two units of 40 Moonclan with Stabba's and 3 Fanatics in each. Converting an old Everquest troll figure to be a Aleguzzler.

A tiny part of me believes we will get a Moonclan book this year. Getting ready.

10 minutes ago, mDaro said:

I've been converting spider riders to Moonclan bodies and working on an Arachnarok conversion. I'm using one large group of spider riders (20) with a Boss on a giant spider and the Arachnarok. Going to use two units of 40 Moonclan with Stabba's and 3 Fanatics in each. Converting an old Everquest troll figure to be a Aleguzzler.

A tiny part of me believes we will get a Moonclan book this year. Getting ready.

Awesome! I'm so glad people are starting this awesome army :D

Be prepared to make opponents rage when they can't hit anything because of netters, or having their plans ruined by intercepting fanatics in their charge phase. 

3 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

If you use them to fight! For objective holders or hanging around preventing deepstrikes, may as well be bows. I'm confident we'll get bonus rules for retreating at some point so even more reason to invest in bows.

(But I'm a massive hypocrite and have 100 spear goblins and zero bows) 

One other thing to consider is that with shields, you get another +1 save.  With the bad moon icon and Grot flag, you're looking at a 4+ save and 6 bravery versus shooting, so someone has to potentially commit more resources to get them off of an objective.  Either more intensive shooting into the Grots or actual combat, and then the netters kick in with a 5+ save.  The offense provided by the bows is so weak that I'd prefer the better defensive bonus provided by the shields ultimately.

I'm currently trying to stay focused and build 40 with stabbas, 40 with spears, and 20 with bows.  However I'm generally willing to trade aesthetics for (perceived) effectiveness.  I'm hoping that 60s are not necessary as the units get quit pricey if I also want Fanatics.

I think at 20 I would always go stabbas over pokin spears because the bases are small enough that they fight in 2 ranks anyway.

The bows would be because they are for holding objectives not combat so even with pitiful damage you are making use of a unit which would otherwise be idle. 

Not to mention that the extra range threat is really important against squishy foot heroes who you really need to die, read wizards.

20 of them might only be 2 wounds but 3 units of bows is suddenly 6 wounds at range 16, that's pretty much every wizard in the game dead. If someone wants them removed a 4+ vs a 5+ is neither here nor there but having them shot is pressure off your important units. Should your opponent NOT shoot them then it's free shots you otherwise wouldn't get.

Archived