3 hours ago, Nutty said:

Can't go wrong with brass & bone.

I'm not really up to date with the background on Chaos Dwarves, but do they dedicate themselves to a certain chaos god? that might be a place to start looking for a colour scheme

Their god is Hashut.  His origin is subject to debate.  He might be an exiled Khorne demon.  But I like to think of him as an older icon of tyranny.  The fluff from Tamurkhan indicates they'd have blackened steel plate and red-painted scale armor.  They're also big on brass that was smelted along with a healthy dose of slaves.  This model was pre-Tamurkhan imagery, so there's no scale armor.

I want to capture that "darkshard" plate and bloody brass.  I also want to run with a suggestion in the fluff that they can have grey skin and red eyes.  The red beard is so that the battle line doesnt have black beards on black plate.

I am thinking Incubi Darkness for the scale/cloaks.  Mixing red ink w bronze paint, and some iridescent medium with black, for the armors.

In the 'official' Dark Elf painting guide for the Cauldron of Blood they wash parts of the brass statue of Khaine with a red wash/ink to give it a red tint.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Dark-Elves-Cauldron-of-Blood

It is how they did the reddish armor parts on the statue, and parts of the underside of the cauldron. Bring it up to a light almost golden brass, and than washed it with Carroburg Crimson.

I'm not sure if that is the colour of brass you are looking for, but it might give you a bit more control over the colour than mixing the wash in with the brass (it could work, just never tried it myself). 

12 hours ago, Nutty said:

'm not really up to date with the background on Chaos Dwarves, but do they dedicate themselves to a certain chaos god? that might be a place to start looking for a colour scheme

It depends on your era. Chaos Dwarfs in 3rd ed followed the same chaos gods as everyone else (humans, elves, skaven, even chaos orcs in those days) They had mutations and basically has the same look as mini chaos warriors. They did have a bazooka though, and some really wierd warmachines like the tenderiser which were silly but fun.

In 4th they got their own book, which is where we get the Assyrian/Mesopotamian imagery like the curly beards and creatures like the lammasu. They also got Hashut (aka the Dark Father) as their own patron chaos god, same as the horned rat for skaven. Their fluff made them the armourers abd industrialists of chaos and their society was a twisted reflection of dwarf society, but also heavily dependent on slavery. They were also reputed to have created the black orcs (now ironjaws) in an attempt to breed better slaves, until their creations led a slave revolt and escaped. They would have destroyed the chaos dwarfs but for the hobgoblins turning traitor at the last moment, earning then a favoured position as underlings of the Chaos Dwarfs

Sixth edition brought the hellcannon and the daemonsmiths who fuse daemonic power with machines and wargear, much like the dark mechanicus in 40k. This was reinforced with the release of the legion of Azeroth.

The old metal model was too squat and unlike the LoA models that I decided to use a different test model.  Thoughts in colors?

It occurred to me that Smurfs are little blue people, and now I can't stop thinking "murder smurf" when I see a dwarf in Russ Grey.20180205_003542.jpg.4108f30c34f0f0809fc6c5764d6d86c3.jpg20180205_003725.jpg.3b00d0e3c184e6136709fbd4828f3328.jpg1517809378834934768945.jpg.be14937368d0f7380fbd4f1ebb0a9a5c.jpg

20180205_003606.jpg

It might be worth it simply so you'll  be able to tell your opponent to go smurf himself.  But I would personally tone down the blue skin a bit, between the red of the beard it might look a bit to bright. A wash will probably fix it just fine though, hard to tell at this stage.

Archived