Cogforts, mobile bastions, who has been drawing on dreaming of them?

Thundercake

Not sure if this is the right location for this, someone move me if i'm in the wrong spot.

Since the last story came out of Malign Portens, I can't get cogforts out of my  head. It doesn't help that I am on book 3 of the Mortal Engine books and the trailer for the movie came out not too long ago.

Anyway, I keep doodling up what I think cogforts may look like. So far all my doodles are trash but I think I might finally hit on something close to what my mind sees later tonight. My doodles are below. I'll also add the Mortal Engines trailer and some art of "traction cities" from the books.

Has anyone else been sketching or drawing some moving forts?

20180131_155958.jpg.d3cde748ef3e58656a30e218a9f07c86.jpg20180131_160217.jpg.2a2c7a504895fca24c183d5fd4e14833.jpg5a723071b9cfa_20180131_1557411.jpg.5bbd718a919bba3dae0fad025a1e3098.jpg20180131_160222.jpg.8750efc7e52de919607a48776835f377.jpg

Mortal Engines trailer:

Some art of traction cities

image.png.d86ff831fa2ac6b45c4794cf54e0eee6.png

image.png.666769d9204bcccd26122dcf2d589a30.png

image.png.f19f5a2e5f64307aed041ae37a09b03f.png

• Like 9

Man, im drawing one right now!
The story was really inspiring. I think its great they have gone back to them. They first described them in the Shadow over Hammerhall booklet, I think. 

I even think a smaller version (a Gear Tower?) could even fit into the game as a behemoth for the Ironweld Arsenal faction, kinda like a walking Kharadron Ironclad. 

The city of Zodange from the 2012 film John Carter could easily be one of the bigger Cogforts. In generell, a lot of the stuff in that movie could fit into the mortal realms.

Zodanga_Final-Comp_lg.jpg.3990717d0ffcf42057b74d0da6aeb22a.jpg

Besides that, I think its not too hard to build a smaller version for the tabletop game. A few WHFB towers, a few mechanical parts and large smoke stacks combined with the turrets from the Kharadron Ironclad und Frigates and you have a small scale "Gear bastion".

• Like 1

In my mind the Cogfort looks like a battleship with legs.

The rear end has a ramp like a cargo plane, just bigger of course, that can be lowered to the ground.

I would draw it but I am incapable of drawing.

Edited by Aginor
  • Like 1

Finally got one on paper that I'm not embarrassed of. I'll probably try to draw one that looks like a 40k titan and one that looks like @Aginor  's comment. In my totally arbitrary daydream, I see the one below as a giant castle type of deal, one with four legs and a "battleship" shape more of a fort, and then the bipedal one a scout or outpost.

20180201_092727.jpg.ef81475ba03a1a075faf41cde57db34b.jpg

@WarbossKurgan, I like the one you posted. I struggle with how it would be efficient at anything though. Those legs are so short compared to what is on top, it couldn't go over anything other than a pancake without tipping over I feel.

• Like 4

On 01/02/2018 at 2:40 PM, Thundercake said:

@WarbossKurgan, I like the one you posted. I struggle with how it would be efficient at anything though. Those legs are so short compared to what is on top, it couldn't go over anything other than a pancake without tipping over I feel.

Weird and inefficient is how I like my walking war machines. "Efficient" might just look like a 20th century tank and that would be boring. ;)

• Like 3

There are lots of ways to kit bash one, but they get pricey. I'll give a shopping list in US dollars:

Legs: a Soul Grinder or Defiler ($66) give big enough legs for a reasonable bastion (not a real fort). These are probably your best bet - the Skittari legs are too small for a big top part.

Top: a lot of ways to go, but will often need the lower leg body be stretched. Imperial Bastion ($41.25) is cheapest, but probably needs some fake stone pieces glued on to break up the sleek modern look, and maybe the base removed to fit the legs. The Chaos Dreadhold - Skull Keep is more in the right style ($75) but will need to be painted to turn the brass bits to carved stone, and some spiked bits toned down. Fortress of Redemption ($115) has an imposing tower, but is a lot to spend unless you can use the rest of the kit for 40k, and might need two sets of legs to look balanced. There are older GW terrain kits that are out of print that you could also use, and their eBay prices will vary. The 40k Wall of Martyrs Vengeance Weapon Battery ($50)  gives you 2 bastions you could glue base-to-base for a more oval top part, and the gun mounts look reasonable for a top turret.  I also like the Da Vinci Tank Model kit ($15), but it's a funky rubber plastic so you'll need a pin solution to secure it to the legs. You'll also want to open up cannon ports.

Guns: 2 Organ Guns ($25/ea.) and 2 Hellblaster Volly Guns ($25/ea.) give you bits for a free extra 2 cannons and 2 Hellstorm Rocket Batteries. Some can poke out of gun ports, and you can modify the gun carriages to suit on the top area.

Bling: the Arkanaut Ironclad ($115) gives you a ton of extra parts for cockpits, pipes and gears, 3 extra weapons (Sky Cannon, Sky Hook, Volly Gun), flagpoles, and the extra cannons poking out of the hull mean you have all the weapons you need. The globes can be integrated too - perhaps in halves as boilers. You should have enough bits for a drawbridge, bombs you can drop in defense, and with some work the front of the hull could hang off the bottom of the leg body if you straighten the legs enough. Some of the railing could also be incorporated into top parapets. The Frigate ($80) also works, but if you're spending crazy money on this model, don't hold back now!

Crew: between a mix of guns and/or Sky Doorfs, you got plenty to crew your mobile fortress.

Happy glue sniffing!

• Like 5

I would probably go with Soul Grinder legs or caterpillar tracks, either from a 40k tank or like an airfix model. Then you can have an imperial bastion or 'warscryer citadel' as the top.

48 minutes ago, Oath Stoned said:

Im thinking a full gaming size gaming table. Table legs will look like a star wars AT-AT, chains hanging off the side with anchors. Then a full fortress battground on top.

That would be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pls post some more...

Build the entire warmap as a heavily run down and rusted mech fort. Then say its the Light of Hope from the story and then make it a setting for the Malign Portents campaign. A grand battle could take place at the cogfort since they anchored outside of the shyish realmgate.

I hope there is artwork/info about cogforts is in the new book. Some concrete basis for the size of it.