Pestilens Thread, tactics, builds, advice

James McPherson

This is the list I'm running this weekend at a small 10 man tournament in Hamilton NZ, it's a narrative themed event with no restrictions on army composition, you can mix grand alliances and no battlefield role restrictions. All I really have is my Pestilens stuff and some Nurgle Daemons out in NZ with me atm so I am running them, and using a formation I never tried out before (the mega batallion one from the Pestilens books; Virulent Procession)   I have 260 pts spare for summoning either Plaguebearers, Plague Drones or a Daemon Prince of Nurgle with.

I want to experiment with using Plaguebearers and Censer Bearers in a two layer shield to protect against dbl turns, and I figured this formation was a good way of keeping my only wizard alive long enough to get some summoning rolls off where they need to go.

I want to experiment with 2x VLCorruptors as well at some point.

Will report back....

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 18.39.07.png

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking at taking the following this weekend at 1000 points. I have a deadline so I've added a second Plagueclaw. My preference would actually be two units of 30 Plague Monks to make best use of the Congregation of Filth reroll charges Ability.

Furnace

2 x 20 Monks

Priest

2 Plagueclaw

Congregation of Filth

It could go well but equally it could be terrible! Depends on match ups. 4 games this weekend so will let you know how I get on :) 

10 hours ago, NiallJC1984 said:

I'm looking at taking the following this weekend at 1000 points. I have a deadline so I've added a second Plagueclaw. My preference would actually be two units of 30 Plague Monks to make best use of the Congregation of Filth reroll charges Ability.

Furnace

2 x 20 Monks

Priest

2 Plagueclaw

Congregation of Filth

It could go well but equally it could be terrible! Depends on match ups. 4 games this weekend so will let you know how I get on :) 

Seems decent. Maybe shift ten models from one unit to the other and use the 10 man unit as screen?

• 2 weeks later...

I played a 1000point game against stormcasts with the above list. I used a unit of 10 and a unit of 30 plague monks. The saves from the congregation of filth were very useful. In the end I won quite convincingly.  The key to my win was remembering all my abilities, I wrote them all down on my army list so I wouldn't forget them.

Will look forward seeing the pestilens battletome getting the same treatment as the stormcast got. 

I came 2nd in a small narrative tournament a couple weeks ago with a 2k list.

I've started using multiple small units now, and two furnaces. what I do is line up the small units of 10 monks in two layers to protect against the double turn, and keep 2 large units of 30 protected so they can't get charged. I then put inspiring presence and 'rabid fever' on the smaller units of 10, so if anyone attacks them, they get a free attack and pile in attack when they die (as well as causing mortal wounds back on a 6) . I find having two furnaces is insurance against one of them failing the 3+ roll. It's pretty rare both of them fail. It also helps to spam Crown of Conquest on some 12 wound heroes.

I am doing this along with taking Virulent Procession, as I want to keep my Verminlord alive as long as possible, and I like having the extra artifacts I get with taking 3 formations and ward saves/re rolls to charge and my whole army is just 3 drops (I take 2x plague priests) . It allows me to dictate the game from early on which I like.

I then keep back 260 points for summoning and try to summon some plague drones or a daemon prince of Nurgle and put mystic shield on it turn 1.

its working quite well for me so far.

I also experimented and tried using censer bearers screened by units of plaguebearers, but I think it's only worth it in a unit of 30 PB's , as the units of 10 die quite fast . It would be really good with the plaguesmog formation.

The last thing I have to experiment with is using the compendium Skaven Chieftain with B. Standard along with some Plagueclaws, but for now I am going to stick with the winning formula.

I am taking my Pestilens to SCGT & GT heat 2 @ WHW , and am hoping in the next few months we get an updated book, as we were one of the first ones to get released, so if they are doing it in order we should be right up there.

What are peoples opinions of having the Glotkin in a pestilens army?

Though it will no longer be pure pestilens, the Glotkin's command ability gives all nurgle units +1 to each weapons attacks.

Stack this with the verminlord corrupter (using crown of conquest artefact) and you could have each plague monk rolling 7 attacks.

If they survived to get into combat then the sheer number of dice rolls must surely do something.

Something like this:

Leaders
The Glottkin (480)
- General
Verminlord Corruptor (240)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Verminlord Corruptor (240)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Plague Furnace (220)
Plague Priest with Warpstone-tipped Staff (80)
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)

Battleline
30 x Plague Monks (210)
- Foetid Blades
- Pestilens Battleline
30 x Plague Monks (210)
- Foetid Blades
- Pestilens Battleline
10 x Clanrats (60)
- Rusty Spear
10 x Clanrats (60)
- Rusty Spear
10 x Clanrats (60)
- Rusty Spear

Units

Battalions
Congregation of Filth (60)

Total: 2000/2000

Is this wishful thinking? Or does it have legs?

5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I think Fleshy abundance is also EXTREMELY POWERFUL on Plague monks. So not just the command ability. You also cannot use both command abilities in the same army

Yes - forgot to mention that. Fleshy abundance would add some much needed resistance to the army.

I havent read the rules for it (so someone will have to clarify this) - I thought that the 'Crown of Conquest' meant that Non-general heroes could use their Command ability, or is it just inspiring presence?

If its just inspiring presence then one / both of the verminlord corrupters can go, and be replaced by some plagueclaws?

Yes crown allows non-generals to use inspiring presence. Generals  can use their own ability and inspiring presence or inspiring presence twice. 

I am actually buying my first pestilens units this Friday So I am hoping to do a "gran alliance nurgle" army for fun..mixing demons, mortals and rats. Grabbing 70 monks, plageclaw catapult, 5 censer bearers and a plague priest for $40!!

I WISH so bad that pestilens could be used in a plagetouched warband. Having 28 monks in a unit with 2 wounds a piece, -1 to hit, any 6's that wound a monk kick back a mortal wound, and any that die 1/6 kick back a mortal wound. It would the most erection inducing synergy for plague monks.

the only way to get a verminlord corruptor's and glottkin's c.ability working together is to take Archaon, I've thought about it in the past, it's a good call, you could get your monks with woe staves up to 8 attacks on. I just havent tried it out yet as my Glottkin is in the UK, but he'll be coming back to NZ with me in July I expect.

The thing with Plaguemonks is you dont need to add fleshy abundance to them or make them -1 to hit, "why not?" I hear you cry!

It's simple, you WANT them to die in combat.

This is the point I was trying to make - if you buff them the right way and put 'Rabid Fever' on them from the Plague Furnace, and +1 attack from the VLCorruptor, they get to make an extra attack AND pile in move with one of their weapons when they die in combat (if they charged that turn that's x4 attacks each with their Foetid Blades with a re-roll to hit) , so for a unit of 10 getting wiped out, you are looking at 1 or 2 sixes for the mortal wound splashback, then 40 attacks back with re-rolls to hit. That's after they already did 40 attacks in their own combat phase. So that's 80 attacks in one turn if they all die.

For a 70 points unit thats pretty good, I have learned to embrace them dying and look forward to it,  infact I play for it now... I throw units into combat hoping they all die.

I feel like its quite a fluffy way to play as well, that you have these fanatical suicidal monks chomping at the bit to die a glorious death for their religion!

The only thing I don't like is when they die to shooting, that is the worst. Other than the 6+ ward save from the C.O.F formation, I still don't have an answer to that.

jusy picked up a cheap pestilens lot! 1 priest, 5 censor bearers, 30 monks, plageclaw for $40.

there are another ~40 rats in there that have blades and a shield. Was told they are monks.. but I think I was lied to. I don't believe monks can have a shield? I suppose I could just convert some spikes and/or rusty shards of metal through them to represent double blades. 

Anyway.. looking to sprinkle in pestilens for fun. Maybe work my way up to a pestilens only force and am loving this thread!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2017 at 11:53 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

jusy picked up a cheap pestilens lot! 1 priest, 5 censor bearers, 30 monks, plageclaw for $40.

there are another ~40 rats in there that have blades and a shield. Was told they are monks.. but I think I was lied to. I don't believe monks can have a shield? I suppose I could just convert some spikes and/or rusty shards of metal through them to represent double blades. 

Anyway.. looking to sprinkle in pestilens for fun. Maybe work my way up to a pestilens only force and am loving this thread!

yeah man monks don't have shields! (wish they did sometimes!)

Hello, I am new to skaven in general. Basic question, I am planning on running Pestilence primary. Can I take a formation of clan maulder or just take the hell pit abomination and be able to take the warscroll battalion bonuses? 

oh that's awesome who's that then? Liam or Austin or somebody? Yeah it's a small world everyone knows everyone in VFX! There's quite a few Brits out there too! Thanks mate, was super tense trying to punch through that line and deal with 2 nasty flying kill machines at the same time. That was my first win at WHW, lost all my other games, played absolutely terrible in game 2 and game 5 so I'm glad those didn't go on the stream!

I would've reviewed it on here but I didn't do anything new, I just carried on the same way, lots of small units of Monks (3x10 this time) , using Rabid Fever from the furnace on them and saying basically "ok get through this lot" before you sock it to them with the bigger ones. Plagueclaw was pretty ****** rolled so many 1's and 2's! I came in 59th overall which qualified for the Grand Tournament, but I'll be back in NZ then so I'm probably not going to go.  It is my birthday though so would be cool to come home for a week or two! #tempted

Archived