Forge World - What would you like to see for AoS?

I shall begin with a rant, then steer back towards more positive territory...

If you've read the latest Malign Portents story, you'll likely have been struck by how cool the cog-forts sound. Cog-forts are exactly the kind of thing that Forge World should be doing. If only they would drag themselves away from 30K for more than the 5 minutes and allow themselves to be inspired by the amazing stuff that's being written about in the setting. Instead they occasionally yawn out a model based on defunct lore (Fimir), recycled sculpts that look nothing like the new aesthetic (Skaarac) or generic characters that look like 3rd party knockoffs (Mazarall).

Now, I appreciate that some people are won over by these models, but I suspect that this is like a raider in a post-apocalyptic wasteland being won-over by the taste of irradiated cockroach because they've either forgotten or never known the taste of Subway. Forge World is the company that once produced inspiring, lore-expanding kits like the Chaos War Mammoth and the Marienburger Land Ship. Where are the cog-forts, eh Forge World? Where are the Skaven parasite engines? Where are the godbeasts? Where are the massive Kharadron airships? Where is the upgrade kit to turn 5 gargant kits into the Sons of Behemat?

What's that? You've been fumbling around with a generic-looking Khornate dragon for 2 years because you've forgotten how to conceive of and sculpt things that aren't bristling with giant plasma cannons or encased in power armour? Oh, right. No cog-forts then. You just keep farting out models for AoS that are twice the price and half as attractive as the studio plastic kits. Clearly that must be working out for you somehow.

Rant over! So, what would you like to see Forge World produce for Age of Sigmar? What do you think would be cool, popular and viable for Forge World to produce? If we build up a list of really good suggestions I may email it to Forge World to maybe stoke their creative fires a little and show them that there's interest in AoS products (and to apologise for being rude about them just now, but come on guys, seriously!).

See, I told you I'd bring it back around to something positive!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping that in a five weeks time at the AoS Open Day we might find out a bit more with what FW are working on.  At the last Open Day they had some more Fimir models on the go, the massive Khornate Dragon and Mazarall (who is actually really lovely model with nods to their Bloodthirster and a lot of the Bloodbound range).  The Dragon is largely finished - however they've been struggling to get the rider finished and resculpted him a number of times.

In the past six months or so, FW have set up a team dedicated to AoS, rather than relying on the general pool of sculptors & rules writers (who were collared onto Bloodbowl and Necromunda more than Heresy).  This should mean we start to see releases more regularly but will take a bit of time for them to bed in.

I think you've listed a few decent options (though God Beast may be a little too big :P).  I'd certainly love to see more Fimir & Legions of Azgorh, a bigger Kharadron airship of some kind and a big centrepiece undead construct.  Scenery would also be pretty cool, potentially allowing us to build a small hamlet/town within the Mortal Realms.

From a sales perspective I think they need to aim for 750 point and lower models (under £100) to stand a chance of them being popular and selling, gone are the days when people play 5000 point games so to have a 900 point model that is the size of a mountain just won't interest people (and isn't practical).  I think the Idol of Gork (or Mork) is a great example of something that has just fitted into the AoS style and game size seamlessly.

I’d love to see the big AoS crazy stuff but that isn’t what I think they should do, well not yet. 

They need to put forge World in the minds of AoS hobbyists as a common option so that they popularise it. 

I’d go with upgrade kits for the existing sets. Things such as Brutes which although spectacular are somewhat limited in variation beyond weaponry. Characters as well which are generally monopose releases these days, easy upgrade options would likely be popular. 

Once we’ve got to stage where Forge World parts are an expected part of armies they should hit us with Skybasha scrap craft, Kharardron Dreadnaughts, Free Peoples Landships and Skaven Warwagons. 

Just chucking out random one offs is not going to catch people’s interst the same way. 

3 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I’d go with upgrade kits for the existing sets. Things such as Brutes which although spectacular are somewhat limited in variation beyond weaponry. Characters as well which are generally monopose releases these days, easy upgrade options would likely be popular. 

That's an amazing call!  Upgrade packs for Brutes would be fantastic!  Would love an upgrade pack to make a more unique Mighty Lord of Khorne too

I also vote for terrain and upgrade packs along with some variations of the free people etc. in AoSified form. Forge World would be a good channel to put this kind of stuff out, as it is  sort of "filling in" for the thematic. So that kind of stuff what the "Fantasy forge" initially came up with, like the Marienburgers etc.

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Terrain and upgrade sets / alternative sculpts - that's what Forgeworld have always done well.

Absolutely no rules or warscrolls for AoS, ever.

Upgrade packs are a good idea but definitely need rules with them.

My number 1 suggestion for an upgrade pack is Ironjawz Brutes, give them Throwing Axes and shields. 9" range 4+ 4+ - 1 profile but let them make an additional attack when they charge and the shields give +1 save in combat

The Horus Heresy charecter series is pretty neat. Can we have some of that for AoS? As they develop the Mortal Realms, they could get some of the model-less characters done no problem, its not like their isn't a lack of Black Library characters they could start with.

Battletome for chaos duardin would be no.1 on my list more for the lore than anything else. Expanding the range and lore for the fimir would also be good, I love how they are destruction now rather than chaos and I think they provide a really unique aesthetic for a destruction force with their tattered finery and arcane looking armour and weapons. As others have mentioned, upgrade kits would be good particularly for storm hosts. I'd also love to see them create some of the big monsters mentioned in the lore. The fire gargants of ashqy for example or the Megalofins which the khadarons regularly fight.

Just now, RuneBrush said:

Oh apparently if you send them a cake with suggestions/question on, it makes FW really happy :)

What, like a small fairy cake? Or a Kendall mint cake perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

What, like a small fairy cake? Or a Kendall mint cake perhaps?

Full sized sponge - there's quite a few of them ;)  A few years ago one of the Heresy FB groups (I think) listed all of the questions they had at the time with the rules and genuinely made a full sized cake with them all on and sent it to FW!  Not sure if they got any of the questions answered but it went down in history as the most entertaining (and tasty) way to send things to FW!

16 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

it went down in history as the most entertaining (and tasty) way to send things to FW!

I’m sure we could top that...

Anyway for a start hand them a common design brief for GA:Order and let them make a few kits for Duardin, Free People and Ælves that would tie them somewhat more together. I’m sure it would sell and it would very much encourage a mixed Free Cities army which seems to be what GW want.

Really onboard with alot of the suggestions here and I would perticularly like upgrade kits for the different stormhosts. And terrain wise I would really like to see what one of the Stormkeeps look like! We have the Dreadfort for chaos, now that Order have a definitive presence in the realms their fortifications would fit right in!

If I think outside the box, something like bespoke objective markers for the different matched play scenarios could be cool. A falling comet for Starstrike, a bunch of realmstone caches and corresponding burned ones for Scorched Earth. A communication device or command post for Knife to the Heart. Two magical fountains for Duality of Death. They could be generic or styled towards the grand alliances. I know these can be made by every player but we are not all kit-bashing-maestros or conversion-efficionados and time is always against us so something ready made would appeal to alot of us.

my number one request is lore versions of the stormcast heroes.

a dynamic pose gardus or thostos bladestorm is perfect. i wouldnt mind not having a unique warscroll for them but id enjoy being able to field such named characters and have abilities that shouldnt rely on staunch defender +mirrorshield. 

this could be another way for them to release box kit models as well, alternative khorgoraths, lord relictors, etc.

id also enjoy some fancy upgrade kits to less diverse models in the current range like fyreslayers or flesh eater courts. 

and finally.i wouldnt mind forgeworld versions of popular units like kurnoths, brutes, skywardens, prosecutors ect. just to enforce creativity without having to make new rules.

I too would like to see upgrade sets. 
I think Kharadrons are perfect for these kinds of sets. They can make an nearly endless amount of new units with just a few resin bits. A skypike and a shield for thunderers to make a heavy, defense orientated unit, a sniper rifle for Arkanauts or just a few turrets or guns for the three existing sky vessels (maybe even one that makes the Gunhauler useful…).
Besides that, I would love to see one of the many bigger ships GW teased in the Battletome! 

9kviloG.jpg.e2e172c1f1d96dab00e0981179ca01df.jpg

So many different ships just in one picture! The big one on the right is a bit too big I think, but the one in the middle would look like a perfect fit! 2 carabine turrets on each side, and three turrets with 2 sky cannons each could be doable in the 750-850 points range.

6hs9BqO.jpg.93926ca3c9e21ce15d8ffc0a632d2c6c.jpg

Just another example of some of the great ship designs. That ship belongs to Barak-Thryng, the smallest of the official sky ports. It wouldn't be hard for FW to justify a whole number of them in service of the various sky ports. 

Archived