The Painting Contract - February 2018

TheOtherJosh

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a huge amount done as I was at the HHWeekender (got my first finalist pin too!), but did manage to get a load of stuff sorted and sprayed yesterday - not the ideal weather but Nagash insisted!  So that's 9 Spirit Hosts assembled and done white, ten grave guard done leadbelcher and had magnets glued in the bases (which are strong enough to hold the movement trays in place) and the backs of 60+ round shields sprayed skavenblight dinge.

I have also started testing the basing scheme so will post an update once I've finished them off.

DVad-bpW4AASNDG.jpg:large

On 2/3/2018 at 6:20 PM, TwiceIfILikeIt said:

This month, with 47 days remaining until Adepticon, I just have one thing to do.  I need to finish the display board for our Team Kharadron Skaven army.  Here's the work-in-progress of the underground level.

Dwarven Forge:

20180203_180633.jpg.88a2f7adbefa4cb98f0d9b734b310711.jpg

Skaven Laboratory:

20180203_180702.jpg.177fb9e3a2219e7fe3a797f93485ac6b.jpg

Skaven Battleline barracks:

20180203_180724.jpg.1715cd451caecfce6986878777e56b46.jpg

Next up... the top level with Dwarven Brewery and Skyport... 

Wish me luck!  :-)

Update on work in progress...

20180207_180634.jpg.7ef4f85825e6249696d096bca52bc332.jpg20180207_180557.jpg.83ea9cbe67bf8e027eaa28bc5718fd5d.jpg20180207_180700.jpg.ac1b4f7d1d82799a9796f123e8a529c6.jpg

So I’m new to this and my painting ebbs and flows. Some days I paint for hours then I go days without picking up a brush. Hoping that this inspires me. Regardless I wrote up what I feel is a very ambitious list. Looking to paint a Glottkin, Archaon, 5 blight kings, and a lord of blights. Bonus points if I finish a Stardrake that I’ve had about 30% since release.

Todays effort. 

E77362F6-F0C3-44BB-9FAC-A1F674C0F86B.jpeg

Managed to get a bit more work on the test bases and reckon one of these should work OK.  I do need to work out what colour to paint the edge of the bases though.

Test-Bases.jpg.daefd0845038d71a6f9c2c5b82c0f08a.jpg

All were given a coat of Astrogranite, followed by a wash of Druchii Violet - left-hand was neat, middle was thinned 50/50 with lahmian and right-hand was thinned 30/60

Left-hand was drybrushed with Tyrant Skull, middle with Lucius Lilac and right-hand with Longbeard Grey

Grass tuft wise I've used a mixture, think I prefer the tufts on the left-hand and middle.

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Managed to get a bit more work on the test bases and reckon one of these should work OK.  I do need to work out what colour to paint the edge of the bases though.

Test-Bases.jpg.daefd0845038d71a6f9c2c5b82c0f08a.jpg

All were given a coat of Astrogranite, followed by a wash of Druchii Violet - left-hand was neat, middle was thinned 50/50 with lahmian and right-hand was thinned 30/60

Left-hand was drybrushed with Tyrant Skull, middle with Lucius Lilac and right-hand with Longbeard Grey

Grass tuft wise I've used a mixture, think I prefer the tufts on the left-hand and middle.

Consider Steel Legion Drab For the base edges.

The left tuft does look pretty nice. But a variety between them wouldn’t be bad.

I’m not entirely sold on the purple tone on the two left bases. (Says the guy who used blue ... with a tyrant skull Drybrush for his Tzeentch and Silver Tower minis... )

Is there a display base that will be using the same tones as the bases?

6 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Consider Steel Legion Drab For the base edges.

The left tuft does look pretty nice. But a variety between them wouldn’t be bad.

I’m not entirely sold on the purple tone on the two left bases. (Says the guy who used blue ... with a tyrant skull Drybrush for his Tzeentch and Silver Tower minis... )

Is there a display base that will be using the same tones as the bases?

Steel Legion Drab isn't a bad shout.  Would be different from my Khorne too.

I've realised that I've photographed the tufts on the right-hand two at a funny angle which doesn't really show them off that well.  The middle one has one flowered clump and one that's identical to the one of the left, the far right one is the same length as the first one but paler (I prefer the first one).  I do think a variety could be a good idea especially for the larger bases and variety between the skeletons.

I'm currently thinking of something between the last two for the purple colour, 50/50 wash and then longbeard grey for the drybrush?  But will sleep on that one for a bit.  I do think it's proven that tufts and astrogranite work quite nicely together.

Base wise the biggest will be a mortarch at the moment, will likely add some flat stones and random skulls to that, as with the 9 spirit hosts who have fairly large bases in comparison to the skelies.

img_1525.jpgSo I surprised myself and did the 20 plague monks as well as a boatload of giant rats. Made a command group for the rats as well. Next on the list will have to be my bonus valhallan mortar crews and praetorian sentinel. Although I may through together my last 20 clanrats. Getting ready for a seige coming up. At this point I only play for fun. My tourney days are over for now. 

img_1524.jpgimg_1523.jpgimg_1527.jpg

Managed to get a surprising amount done this weekend - 1500 by the 2nd is actually looking feasible now...  I'll update my Death painting post in a bit with more detailed pictures.

The spirits need to have a glaze of purple I think to make them look less pink from a distance.

20180211_215315_resized.jpg.0f2609bc134fb8d4245a19aaed697ccf.jpg

On 04/02/2018 at 8:22 AM, valenswift said:

Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been 3 months since my last pledge.

I'm going to start by completing the KO battleforce box and then who knows where it will take me...

I've gone with Barak-Zon as they were the first to make contact with the Stormcast Eternals (my other army)

IMG-2254.JPG

IMG-2255.JPG

IMG-2256.JPG

IMG-2257.JPG

IMG-2258.JPG

IMG-2259.JPG

2 hours ago, valenswift said:

I've gone with Barak-Zon as they were the first to make contact with the Stormcast Eternals (my other army)

They look really good!

If you don’t have a particular decision on the portholes on the cannon (etc) you can do some really easy windows with the Citadel Gem technical paints (Soulstone Blue, Spiritstone Red and Waystone green) directly over the gold paint on the vessel. (Or do a base of stormhost silver on the portholes and the gemstone paint as a colored window.)

9 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

So .... given that the base “Rat Ogre” kit only comes with 6 giant rats... are there other kits that have them as well on sprue?

Inquiring minds want to know .... B|

All the rats in the pick came from the old battalion box. Besides the six on the rat ogre sprue, there were all the little guys on the clan rat sprues plus 1 each of the little guy with the sword on the plaguemonk sprue. When I get home I’ll take a pic of the sprues for location. They were a great bonus

edit: I was wrong Josh. The four little extra rats where on the plaguemonk sprue as well as the wee one with the sword. The slightly larger one I used for the banner was on the ogre sprue with the other six rats. img_1538.jpgimg_1537.jpg

Well late to the party but I'd like to give this a go. I may have failed horrendously to keep up with the malign portents goal I set myself because life got in the way but with the abilities to use portents in skirmish I felt it was time I finally made myself a heavily converted warband designed purely for skirmish. And I am using my spare chaos slaves to darkness bits to do it!

As such by the 28th I -will- build/convert the following:
-1 lord of chaos from a varanguard
-4 gladiator themed marauders
-2 chaos warriors
-1 chaos knight

Leaving it there because I don't want to overextend myself and fail miserably. But I will have the following stretch goals
-1 Varanguard
-1 Mermaid themed slaanesh model (probably a fiend even though they aren't in skirmish, though if jut for skirmish I could possibly do it as a seeker)
-1 Sorcerer
-1 Darkoath warqueen

Not sure what else to add to the warband in general xD will have to decide once I've built more and once I've then sorted a list. But I'm mostly just liking the idea of a heavy conversion project, started my lord last night so will try and post pics when I finish work.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:14 PM, Mooft said:

AoS Escalation league going on with a painting day at the store on Feb. 11th. My list for the month:

Paint:

10 Plaguebearers

1 Herald of Nurgle

6 Nurglings

1 Horticulous Slimux

Build and paint:

20 Plaguebearers

6 Plague Drones

1 Lord of Afflictions

Stretch goal:

Lord of Blights (would need to purchase)

So far I've got 30 plaguebearers painted, 6 riderless plague drones 80% painted (their riders are primed), 6 nurglings about 90% done, a herald who is 70% done and a scrivener who is about 40% done. Haven't started Horticulous yet. None of the above have textured/worked bases just yet. Will probably going with Lustrian overgrowth drybrushed with some dusty color and some nurgle's rot (inspired by Horticulous). I'm removing my LoA from the pile here as I'm not currently planning on using him in the next 2 weeks.

Archived