LVO Top 10 Army Lists

Antipodean7

Thanks! I've been pretty happy with how my list has performed overall. I know its not top tier list, but I think it has the tools, when I'm not making mistakes, to deal with most comers. 

The balewind isn't banned at ACon, just modified so that it can't be within 7" of an objective. 

Gaunt Summoner does close to zero against my army (his spell is OKAY against the Khorgis because they have the monster keyword, but not nearly the rampant devastation it provides against hordes). That being said, GS/BWV is a crutch, and one I wouldn't be opposed to seeing removed from circulation. GW has tried to fix BWV twice now, once by adding points, and once by removing the ability for behemoths to mount it. It's still being exploited in a way that, IMO, breaks the game. I'd like to see it removed entirely from matched play.

The recent FAQ on Vanguard Wing means I doubt we'll see much of them. And like I mentioned before, the changes to the changeling (heh) make the changehost SLIGHTLY less scary. That, in addition to the inclusion of soft scores to overall placement, means the ACon field will probably look far different from the LVO field.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, JamesT said:

This is James, the guy who got 2nd at LVO. Maybe I can shed some light on the strength of Changehost and difference in meta between US and UK?

Changehost gets it's strength from the same way Vanguard Wing does: Movement options that are too many to count. Each turn I can swap my LoC into spell range, congo-line my pink horrors, get more models onto objectives, etc. In my list, I also had 30 tzaangors. These guys were beasts, and gave me some real board presence. My Gaunt summoner could Mystic Shield/Shield of Fate them turn 1, and I'd run them towards the enemy with a 4+ rerollable save and a shield save. Could even put IP on them too. They shored up the weakness of Changehost which tends to be: If you get close to me I start to die very quickly. The tzaangors are good at providing a buffer and rapidly moving across the table to take objectives and wipe out units. 

While the US and UK meta are different, I don't think it is safe to assume that we here in the states are trying to pull ourselves up to the UK meta. Sometimes they find a list that makes it across the pond, and sometimes we return the favor. Maybe @Countmoore could provide some insight as well, but I feel that the US has a pretty solid meta. 

I think one fix to Tzeentch could be you may only expend one Destiny dice per phase. That would greatly help to limit the number of guarantees the army gets. 

As for the Fyreslayers: I counted 4 hordes of angry dwarves there. They fared well, but against a skilled player who shuts down the board to their tunneling their effectiveness isn't as good. I have no doubt they can wreck most local tournaments, but at events as large as LVO with the skill that's there, there will be plenty of opponents who know exactly how to deploy and move to counter the tunneling. 

Lastly, in case anyone was wondering what my matchups were:

1: Narrative SCE list. Guy was the best sportsman I've ever played against though! -W

2: Ironjawz with Weirdfist. I locked down his spells, blew up his big unit, and made the Tzaangors chew through 17 ard boyz in a turn.  -W

3: Vanguard Wing. My deployment was flawless on the front end with double layers of models, but I left a whole region of open space in my backfield like an idiot. He killed a bunch, but I played the mission well. I made a critical charge on the last turn that gave me the W

4: Kroaknado. Hard match for me. I locked down his army with a turn 1 charge from tzaangors and starting scoring points, and by the time he had broken out of the wrap, I had enough points to get the win. -W

5: Vanguard Wing. Played against Andrew who won the event. I made a horrible mistake one turn where I could've killed the prosecutors but didn't send enough spells their way. He then teleported around my big bird and killed him. I'm an idiot. -L

6: Fyreslayers. I moved and ran almost everything to shut down his tunneling, and killed about 15 or so dudes on the board with spells. Burned one of his objectives thanks to changeling swap(scorched earth). He made a mistake targetting brimstones before blues so I split brimstones in the unt to get a guy within 3" of a 30man mob, tying them down from charging, and failed a 5" charge with a reroll. He conceded because it wasn't really possible for him to win after that. W

7: Maggotkin. My changeling was 9.2" away from my gaunt summoner so not Infernal flames turn 1, but I killed about 70 rats still thanks to Tzaangors. Starstrike fell well for both of us, and it came down to if my LoC could kill 2 monks with his staff in melee. Got 1 hit, rolled a 1. I had Aura of Mutability and rerolled it, getting a 4. -W

Total record was 6-1. Hats off to Andrew who won the event. He played his army extremely well and noted every one of his mistakes. Nothing slipped past him!

My opponents were all excellent sportsmen. The first vanguard wing player was from the UK and an absolute gentleman the whole game, the fyreslayers guy was super cool even though the game wasn't going well for him, everyone was great!

I feel, again, the UK is building losts to counter changehost, while the US is just usually building a changehost at the highest level.

• 4 weeks later...

Could someone please advise regarding the Maggotkin List. Is the useful of the Plague Monks purely attributed to the use of the Glottkin's Command Ability?

Also, regarding the bands of 10 Chaos Marauders - are these screening fodder / objective support?

Sorry if these are rather stupid questions, trying to branch out - I am mainly a Khorne player.

1 minute ago, Kharnige said:

Is the useful of the Plague Monks purely attributed to the use of the Glottkin's Command Ability?

Also, regarding the bands of 10 Chaos Marauders - are these screening fodder / objective support?

Yes to one, it's the cheapest horde, which is a really good one too.

The 10 Marauder units really fufill both here I'd say, they are really fast with the Ferulent Gnarlmaws.

Archived