Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how would this look in the new edition?

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Vile Transference (Vampires)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)

Command trait - Master of Death

Artifact - Gryph-Feather Charm

Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Lore of the Dead: Soulpike (Vampires)

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
10 x Black Knights (240)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Malign Spell Chronomatic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000/ 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

Its very wizard heavy but I think it should pack a solid enough punch. Knights can be changed to whatever if anyone has suggestions.

What do you guys think about using the Chronomatic Cogs in a Legion of Night to up your chances of getting those ambush charges to connect? If one of the ambushing units is a hero you could also use a CP to reroll one failed charge roll. 

1 hour ago, PUFNSTUF said:

Leaders
- General

You can't give Nagash a command trait or artefact because he's a named character. 

2 hours ago, PUFNSTUF said:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
- General

Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Lore of the Dead: Soulpike (Vampires)

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
10 x Black Knights (240)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Malign Spell Chronomatic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000/ 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

Its very wizard heavy but I think it should pack a solid enough punch. Knights can be changed to whatever if anyone has suggestions.

you cant have any command traits or artefact on nagash or arkhan sorry

Morning all,

Having to rejig my Sacrament list as the battalion is going up 60 points, so what I have leaves me with 310 points left over. Many thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

What I have:

Arkhan, 2 Necros, Mortis and Batallion

40 Skellies and 2x5 Wolves

VLoZD

So for the 310:

Terrorgeist with no rider

New Knight of Shrouds on Steed and some Hexwraiths and swap 5 Wolves for 10 Chainrasps

Swap 5 Wolves for 20 ‘rasps and take the Knight on Steed or Hexwraiths and keep ~50 points free for an extra CP

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Remember to leave points for some endless spells.  Spell portal (60 pts) in particular is nice for lords of sacrament lists, as Arkhan and his disciples can open the gate then huddle around it to throw damage and debuff at the enemy from a much safer distance.

Also, 1x40 skittles feels a bit light to me, that can get focused down, and if that happens, I'm not sure your heroes are enough to win the game on their own.

So, maybe swap one unit of dogs for another block of 40 skittles, and use the leftover points for an umbral spellportal, with thirty points left for one of a prismatic palisade, suffocating gravetide, malevolent maelstrom, or soulsnare shackles?

Of those, prismatic palisade would be amazing against shooty armies (total line of sight blocking to units behind it, even arkhan and the mortis engine, and you can still cast spells through the spellportal, drawing LoS from the other side of the portal.

On the other hand, spirit shackles would be more fluffy, and very effective movement disruption against melee armies.

Wicked answer, thanks man, though I was hoping to avoid painting another 40 Skellies... Have also been dragging my heels a bit including the ES but they could be a real game changer for us. The boxset is pre-ordered so I’ll have a nosey once it lands. 

Eh, I mean they're not bad, and the're the best for first cohort lists.  If you're just looking for a hammer unit, Harbingers with Halberds are usually the better go to thanks to the extended charge range.

I still sometimes forget that either version can take either weapon now, so I'll sometimes say archai are best for grand host, but that's really not the case.  Again, except for first cohort lists.

The glaives are best for grand host, regardless of what kind of mortarch carries them, because they get the most added punch out of the grand host's extra attack.  But then again, glaives are the best for morghasts even in the other legions, so there you go.

24 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

In an unrelated question, are Archai with halberds still considered the best Morghast loadout? Cheers.

I would always say: depends 

if you’re up against mortal wound spam their 5+ save might bring some extra mileage. Esp to make Nagash via first cohort more or less immune against MWs.

otherwise I like the 3d6 charge of the harbringers better, since they now can also wield the big scythe. Being able to charge over your prey, eventually into buffing heros... pretty darn gooood

I'm thinking about buying either Nagash or a VLoZD soon, still undecided. I drafted this list in the meantime, what do you guys think?

Nagash - 800

+ Umbral Spellportal (60)

2x Morghast Harbingers w/ Halberds - 220

1x Necro - 110

1x Necro - 110

40x Skeletons - 280

3x10 Dogs - 360 or (1x10 Dogs + 6x Spirit Hosts)- 360

With Nagash's ability to re-roll saves of 1 though, I may end up replacing the skellies for the chainrasps once I get to buy them, but then I may lack some offensive punch so I dont know yet. This list clocks in at 1940, so I'd have the extra command point to resurrect something. The other idea I had was to just go for the battalion and use something like 40x Skellies and 2x5 Black Knights to fill the requirements, that coupled with the two necros could be cool. What do you think guys? Are there Nagash lists that don't use 2x40 skellies that you think will be good? 

I used to like first cohort lists with 2x40 skittles, but the points are tight, especially factoring in one or more endless spells.

Some lists I want to try:

• Nagash
  • Arkhan
  • Spellportal
  • 2 archai
  • 40 spearletons
  • 2x10 swordletons
  • First cohort

Or

• Nagash
  • Necro
  • Spellportal
  • Palisades
  • 2 archai
  • 40 spearletons
  • 2x5 black knights
  • First cohort

Or a more ghostly, non-first-cohort list:

• Nagash
  • Necromancer
  • Mounted KoS
  • Spellportal
  • Palisades
  • 3x20 chainrasps
  • 30 grimghasts

I can't imagine Nagash without portal now to be honest. They should have just upped his point cost to 860 and added the spell to his warscroll :D 

The first list could be really fun and I didn't honestly think about it until now, I assume you'd be taking Soul Harvest on Arkhan? Man Hand of Dust with the portal and the range extension will be reaching across the table turn one haha The bad thing is that you can truly only do it once since after that you'd only have one command point each turn and you'd realistically want to cast Nagash's command ability every time, but still that first turn can be devastating with both Hand of Dust and Curse of the Years going off + Soul Harvest and other possible mortal wound bombs such as Vile Transference or Amarathine Orb.

Not sure who would take the harvest between nagash and arkhan, but one of them certainly.  No artifacts or vanhels in that list bothers me, though.  As does the lack of the palisade, which I'd almost consider as vital to arkhan as the spellportal is.  He's just so vulnerable to shooting, being able to just wall off line of sight from a significant portion of the board is amazing.

Remember, palisades blocks shooting it it crosses a line from center of the source base to center of the target base, so even large bases like nagash, arkhan, or a mortis engine can be easily walled off to shooting from most or even all of the enemy deployment zone.

Yeah, the list has problems on its own for sure, I was considering it more of a fun build since you are devoting 1120 points just with Arkhan and Nagash while also taking the battalion, so naturally you'll be restricted. I think Necros are the way to go even if potential combos are exciting; with Nagash I feel you just don't have the space to combo big characters like you could with a VLoZD+Vhordrai for example. 

Pallisade is an interesting spell, potentially it can be great but if you play a scenario where you'll have to move around a lot it could be a little annoying to manage. It does help round up your list though so I guess that's useful too! Of the three I'd say the most competitive seems to be the second for me, although I'm still not 100% convinced about first cohort. You could always take it out in your first list to replace the 2x10 skellies for 2x5 dogs, take a necro and add Pallisade.

Looking to finally make the jump over to death with all these new nighthaughts. Love the options they add to the battlelines for LoN. 

A few of my mates are interested in some 1k games to start. I currently have the blades of the blood queen battleforce box and i am splitting the new soul wars box for those tasty nighthaught models. Im struggling to make a list with those models. Been a stormcast player so looking for magic heavy and some hordes. Also on a shoe string budget atm so not looking to buy too much outside of these two boxes. A few models is fine but nothing major. 

First idea was:

Arkhan,

Guardian of souls,

2 x morghast harbingers scythes,

20 x skeletons (spears),

20 x Chainrasp hordes

I know the skeletons arent optimised but im building towards 2k points. What legion allegiance should i look to use and/or what tweaks to the list should i make.

Miss having 2k to play with... sooon...

Thanks guys and girls ?

Most people here seem to take Endless Spells as a given, you know, the majority include one or two in their lists. I thought Endless Spells was supposed to be an expansion, which implies some sort of agreement with your opponent. Or do we know it’s place in matched play?

53 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Most people here seem to take Endless Spells as a given, you know, the majority include one or two in their lists. I thought Endless Spells was supposed to be an expansion, which implies some sort of agreement with your opponent. Or do we know it’s place in matched play?

They are part of normal play. Each battletome going forward will also include its own unique spells. The new NH tome includes 3 endless spells in its matched play profile.

Archived