600 point IronJawz List

krimsynn

I'm going to be playing the first game in a escalation league soon. I have the IronJawz as an army. First game is 600 points. Any ideas on potential lists?

The units I own are:

1 Megaboss

9 Gore Gruntas

20 Ardboys

10 Brutes

2 Warchanters

1 Weirdnob Shaman

Thanks in advance!!

Couple of options depending on what you want to focus.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- General
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Total: 580 / 600
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 51

Gives you the 10 Brutes+Warchanter combo, which will hose down anyone who includes a cheap monster and even without has huge damage output. Takes advantage of the fact the Waaagh! sucks in smaller game sizes by just abusing inspiring presence on the brutes as they are the only thing which can realistically battleshock in the army. You also get the 3 GG's as second battleline and for the speed.

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Wounds: 56

Because Foot of Gork  is a thing. Similar principle as above but with less of a central beatstick and more cav. 

Orruk Megaboss (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Total: 600 / 600
Wounds: 52

Similar concept different central core, abuses the Megaboss + Brute synergy to get the anvil portion rather than foot of gork. Advantage here is that the Megaboss is a combat beast in his own right and way tankier than the weirdnob.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:07 PM, Malakree said:

Couple of options depending on what you want to focus.

Gives you the 10 Brutes+Warchanter combo, which will hose down anyone who includes a cheap monster and even without has huge damage output. Takes advantage of the fact the Waaagh! sucks in smaller game sizes by just abusing inspiring presence on the brutes as they are the only thing which can realistically battleshock in the army. You also get the 3 GG's as second battleline and for the speed.

Because Foot of Gork  is a thing. Similar principle as above but with less of a central beatstick and more cav. 

Similar concept different central core, abuses the Megaboss + Brute synergy to get the anvil portion rather than foot of gork. Advantage here is that the Megaboss is a combat beast in his own right and way tankier than the weirdnob.

Any suggestions for the Battle of the Pass battleplan?

Ok so battle for the pass it depends how you want to play it. There are two broad strategies you can use which influence how you can run your list.

First strategy is to try and dive the opponents point and hold one of the two centre points. For that you need a ton and quite a bit of punch, to be honest you will probably struggle to get that effectively at 600 points. Second strategy is to try and hold both central points while protecting your own, this is less mobility dependent and more about being able to zone your opponent out then soak the meat grinder. In both cases controlling the very centre of the map lets you abuse a weirdnob shaman something rotten, he will be able to foot of gork onto any of the other 3 points and the Ardboys will easily be able to dominate 1 point. Excessive hero count is going to hurt you because they can't hold points properly, I'd definitely recommend going for more boys than heroes.

With all of that in mind you don't want Brutes or the Megaboss on foot, both are slow and pack a lot of points into a small number of models with very minor threat range, they won't be able to properly contest or threaten multiple objectives and the brutes especially are going to be vulnerable to being reduced to an irrelevant number very quickly.

I would probably end up going something like 

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 

Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Wounds: 56

Your Weirdnob+Ardboys should be able to bog down at least one of the central points while the spells give you a bunch of great options. The double GG's are both surprisingly tanky and give you the threat range you need, plus their large bases mean with clever position you can block an opponents movement. Daubing is pretty obvious and Brutish Cunning can potentially let you charge during your opponents turn in order to ****** up his plans. Don't forget that if Brutish Cunning goes off and your GG's complete the charge from more than 8" away from any enemy models then they get the D3 damage even on your opponents turn!

This list should give you the combination of survivability, mobility and presence you need. Plus the added bonus that is a "Foot of Gork" Hail Mary play.

I see the rule on the battle plan that says, " An objective remains under the player's control until the enemy is able to gain control of it, even if the capturing models later move away." So with that, If I have the Weirdnob controlling the the objective in my territory, the the Ardboys controlling one center point while also spilling over into the center of the map to clog the center, with the Gore Gruntas doing the same on the other center point. I could still inch the Weirdnob forward enough to make sure I got the extra on the spell roll being closer to the Ardboys, correct?

5 hours ago, krimsynn said:

I see the rule on the battle plan that says, " An objective remains under the player's control until the enemy is able to gain control of it, even if the capturing models later move away." So with that, If I have the Weirdnob controlling the the objective in my territory, the the Ardboys controlling one center point while also spilling over into the center of the map to clog the center, with the Gore Gruntas doing the same on the other center point. I could still inch the Weirdnob forward enough to make sure I got the extra on the spell roll being closer to the Ardboys, correct?

Once you've tagged it you can just leave it, it really depends on your opponent though. A whole bunch of the top teir armies have some sort of dodgy way to power drop your back line, as a result you need to defend it or you lose real quick. In my tournament game over the weekend I used a unit of GG's for that because I wanted my Ardboys pushing forward to contest the other points. If your opponent doesn't have the option to teleport past you then you can tag it with a unit of 3 GG's on your first turn before you push them forward. 

That's why you have 2 units of 3, so that you can keep the weirdnob with the block of Ardboys and the GG's can be much more flexible.

Good deal. I love Orks in any game and love the IronJawz. I have only played around 8 full games or so, so thats why the questions keep coming! I wont have the first match in this league until next Saturday. I know I have a few other questions, but I'll ask them later tonight after I get home and look at my GHB17

1 hour ago, krimsynn said:

Another question, in matched play, if the Foot of Gork goes off, I can't use the rule where it stomps again because of the rule of one correct? Same with the Warchanter and the beatsticks going again on rolls of 6?

Foot of Gork keeps stomping, it's not affected by the rule of one, you keep going until you get a 1-3 and Gork decides he's fed up.

You are correct about the warchanters extra attacks not being able to generate more extra attacks.

2 hours ago, krimsynn said:

Foot of Gork isn't affected by the rule of one because it's a spell and not a ability, right?

Erme it's because it's not actually triggering an extra attack. The 4+ roll is to work out whether the spell continues rather than whether he attacks again.

The Warchanter however is generating an extra brand new attack.

Think of it like this, the Warchanter is making two separate and distinct attacks, while foot of gork is a single spell where every stomp is still contained within that original spell.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

You can find all the FaQ's there.

The answer to both is due to the very specific wording in each of the relevant rules.

• On the Rampage: ...can make any number of charge moves like this in a single turn....
  • 3rd Rule of One: Any extra attacks, hit rolls or wound rolls...

So they have no interaction because it's an extra charge which isn't listed. Hence the warscroll specifically states that you can do something and the rules don't explicitly stop you from doing it.

• Foot of Gork: ....Roll a die - on a 4 or more Gork stopms again, resolve another d6 mortal wounds......Keeps on stamping until you fail to roll a 4 or more.
  • 1st Rule of One: Each spell can only be attempted once......you cannot attempt to cast it again...

So here, you are not recasting the spell, simply continuing to resolve the first spell you cast, it hasn't finished resolving until you fail the 4+. By the same token, as OTR, the 4+ isn't an attack, hit or wound roll thus it's not covered by the 3rd rule. It's no different that a spell which says "then roll a dice for each other unit within 3" of the target, on a 4+ they take d3....." it's still contained within the original spell.

24 minutes ago, Malakree said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

You can find all the FaQ's there.

The answer to both is due to the very specific wording in each of the relevant rules.

• On the Rampage: ...can make any number of charge moves like this in a single turn....

So they have no interaction because it's an extra charge which isn't listed. Hence the warscroll specifically states that you can do something and the rules don't explicitly stop you from doing it.

• Foot of Gork: ....Roll a die - on a 4 or more Gork stopms again, resolve another d6 mortal wounds......Keeps on stamping until you fail to roll a 4 or more.
  • 1st Rule of One: Each spell can only be attempted once......you cannot attempt to cast it again...

So here, you are not recasting the spell, simply continuing to resolve the first spell you cast, it hasn't finished resolving until you fail the 4+. By the same token, as OTR, the 4+ isn't an attack, hit or wound roll thus it's not covered by the 3rd rule. It's no different that a spell which says "then roll a dice for each other unit within 3" of the target, on a 4+ they take d3....." it's still contained within the original spell.

OK, good! So what about Smashing and Bashing Battle trait?  Sorry for all the questions on this rule of one thing. I just remember being told I couldn't cast Foot of Gork once during a game last year because of it. 

7 minutes ago, krimsynn said:

So what about Smashing and Bashing Battle trait?  Sorry for all the questions on this rule of one thing. I just remember being told I couldn't cast Foot of Gork once during a game last year because of it. 

Same idea, it's not an attack, wound or hit roll so it's not covered.

An interesting interaction is that it bypasses things which would force your units to activate last because it isn't respecting the activation order, it's just activating the closest Ironjawz unit out of the sequence.

Basically the rule of one is VERY exact, if it isn't one of the things listed then it isn't affected.

Archived